For what it’s worth here’s my experience with my 2019 Gear-Up.

I had big hopes for the motorcycle it looked like you has potential. Well I still think it does have potential if the company to get its act together perhaps someday. But at this point here is my experience. After a few 100 miles the rear wheel develop a bad wobble 11 broken spokes took the bike to the local dealer and they replace the spokes and trued the wheel. The bike was under warranty so there was no problem. Perhaps another 1000 miles later the left intake develop a backfire and would blow off the rubber intake boot. This problem happened numerous times and each time I took it to the dealer they were really unable to pinpoint the problem they did try his best. Now its 7100 miles the throttle sticks at full throttle and the only way to stop the engine from accelerating is to turn the key off. Now the engine will not idle smoothly and has a ruff idle. I have put a total of 7100 miles on this bike and have not yet been able to go more than 1200 miles without the bike breaking down and needing to go to the shop for service. At this point the bike is spending more time in the shop then it is on the road. And we don’t need to talk about the cost of towing.

The original dealer that I bought the motorcycle from has gone out of business and the nearest dealership now is 100 miles away and you need to make an appointment more than 1 ½ months in advance. So in other words the warranty is basically useless unfortunately. My experience with the company has been that the company refuses to communicate with its customer base, it makes no difference whether you call and leave a voice message, e-mail them and leave a message, or write them a letter. They totally refuse to communicate, I would hope that they at least communicate with their dealerships better than they do what their customers. All in all I must say that the company is very irresponsible. Not only do they not communicate with their customer base the original dealership that I bought the motorcycle from let the company know way in advance that he was retiring and closing down the shop and that they the company needed to find someone to take his place. Apparently they could not bothered to find someone to take up his dealership in the local area. I wish the company would spend more time on customer service and less money on advertising. Oh well I guess a lesson learned. Thank god for the lemon law looks like I’m going to have to pursue my legal options with the company it will be interesting to see how things turn out. Like I said the product looks like it has potential if they the company only could improve customer service and develop a better dealership slash service area.

I have noted that same problem as well. However, that being said, not all dealerships are bad. I found one in Nebraska that gets the job done, communicates exactly what is wrong with the bike in question, and while it may be expensive, they do not take forever.

JonLilley

From the description of your problem I'm very sure you have a slipped crankshaft. Ural's use a pressed together crankshaft. Apparently one or both cylinders have slipped out of time with the crankshaft timing gear. I would take it to another Ural Dealer and demand a new engine if the crankshaft has indeed slipped. It can be checked without disassembling the case. The heads should be removed so the piston deck height can be checked with a dial indicator as the engine is rotated to top dead centre. If one or both pistons are not fully topped out at the Top Dead Centre mark on the flywheel you will know the crankshaft has slipped. If you find that condition the entire engine is junk. Do not let the Dealer just replace the crankshaft. A slipped crankshaft will warp the block and thus screw up everything else in the engine. You may have bent valves which will damage the heads as well. Of course without having your bike at hand I can't absolutely confirm my diagnosis and I might be very wrong. However the engine should be checked for a slipped/damaged crankshaft. I've worked on other engines with pressed together crankshafts and have found slipped crankshafts on those engines so it's not like something that never or even rarely happens.

The 750 Urals cranks are assembled differently than the 650 cranks. It's done while heated very hot and with much higher pressures, I've never heard of a 750 crank having this issue.

The 750 Urals cranks are assembled differently than the 650 cranks. It's done while heated very hot and with much higher pressures, I've never heard of a 750 crank having this issue.

Heard this before... and like you, I haven't heard of one "slipping"

In the 22 years I've been riding Urals, I had one 650cc crankshaft fail.

Both of the 750cc cranks are still running perfectly in my two Urals.

And my son's 750cc engine (installed in 2003?) in his 1998 Ural just rolled over 100,000 kilometers of travel, without any problems.

Just for the record.

RussN

There's always a first time for everything. All it would cost to check the crankshaft is replacing two head gaskets when reinstalling the heads. While the heads are off the lifters can be pulled and checked and the cam lobes can be inspected as well. Of course the valves need be checked while the heads are off. Something has gone very wrong and the only way to find out what it is to start looking for the problem. Blowing off intake boots is a sure sign of a serious timing issue. The ignition system also needs to be checked. It could be an ignition timing problem where it's firing the spark plugs multiple times where they should not be firing such as when the intake valve is open and igniting the mixture during the intake stroke. A look behind the timing cover at the crankshaft and camshaft gears should be done too if everything else checks out OK.

• 2 months later...