External coil mounting

Solly

Got a oil filled chang coil I am wanting to mount on the engine support stay. Was going to get a universal one bolt hold bracket for a coil. But now Im wondering about vibration cracking the bracket.Any thoughts? Apparatus? Thanks all.

• 1 month later...

Im in the same thought process as im doing away with the old internal coil on my M10 36 for an external mounted oil filled unit that could be frame mounted or bolted to the engine support syay. URAL ZENTRALE sells a bracket that fits the stay. My thoughts are that it might not make much difference anyway as there are no rubber mounts between engine and frame so vibration is largely undiminished anywhere on the bike, all the way to handlebars and footpegs. Probably more important is to get the coil into a cooling airstream which is one of the underlying problems with the stock location.

Regards

Was thinking of that.But figured Id see if anyone has had negative results. Will probably go that route. Thanks.

Im in the same thought process as im doing away with the old internal coil on my M10 36 for an external mounted oil filled unit that could be frame mounted or bolted to the engine support syay. URAL ZENTRALE sells a bracket that fits the stay. My thoughts are that it might not make much difference anyway as there are no rubber mounts between engine and frame so vibration is largely undiminished anywhere on the bike, all the way to handlebars and footpegs. Probably more important is to get the coil into a cooling airstream which is one of the underlying problems with the stock location.

Regards

Even whitout a rubber components the vibes are much lower on the frame. Also you can put a layer of rubber between frame and the mount.

• 2 weeks later...

Is that a oilfilled coil racepres? Hard to tell from what I can see. And you do make a good point. My harley back when would shake fillings out of your teeth at idle.Still think Id rather isolate it for a go.

Just a Regular [Points] Harley Coil...Do Not make the mistake of using an Electronic Ignition Coil...will burn points.