K750M Steering Bearings

Afcope

Due to my cheapness and to the fact that they seemed fine before disassembly, I am planning on sticking with the original steering head bearings on my '67 K-750M.

My question is about the lower race on the lower bearing. It moves around the center post pretty freely, I am thinking of using Loctite Bearing Retainer on that to hold it tight.

Does anyone advise against this?

Thanks.

The only thing I can think of is if you do glue it down and it's not centered around the stem, when you preload the bearings they might bind slightly. As it is, they will self center themselves. Does that make sense? Since you're only turning from side to side, it doesn't make much difference if the race is loose. If the bearings are well lubed and properly preloaded the race will stay put without the loctite.

I can't think it would move instead of the bearing with weight on it.

You could pin it or even "chicago fit" the thing. Peen or prick punch, raised metal to cause an interference fit.

But, as Stated if it is loose enough to get off center it would not be good.

I have a loose one I am going to try to Pin.

• 2 months later...

I used a little bearing retainer, and reassembled it while it was wet to align the races and prevent an off center problem. With the old ball bearings and races, but new grease and friction pads in the steering damper it is much tighter and smooth. No more slop! Thanks guys.