24 replies to this topic

#1 Becky Blosser

Becky Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 02:21 PM

It's time to start making plans to make the BURP rally. This is held on the weekend of July 11, 12, & 13 in the area called "The Meadow's of Dan" the intersection of Va. Rt.58 & the Blue Ridge Parkway, just north of the VA/N.C. line on the BR-Pkwy. This is a beautiful area with great riding and sight seeing. The host campground is Willville Bike Camp where the campsites are great, the restrooms are spotless, a covered Pavilion for a group meal and ducking any wet weather, and no wheeled cages allowed in the camp area, but parking area for the trailer queens. Willville is 3/4 of a mile W. of the Pkwy on Rt.58. To find out more go to www.uralrallies.com - BURP. This is a no fee rally, only required to pay for your campsite and notify me about your intentions of making the rally for a head count.

This is sponsored by: The Riders of The Eastern Front, IMWA, and Rich's Cycle Upholstery.

thesidman

PS from Becky - there is a small independent motel (the Blue Ridge Motel) nearby for those who don't do the tent thing very well.  We also have more info on our Events page.
Becky Blosser
Russian Iron Administrator

Winchester, VA
A lonely outpost on the Eastern Front

"The answer to any question starting, 'Why don't they-' is almost always, 'Money.'" - Robert A. Heinlein

#2 Mark_MB750M

Mark_MB750M

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:23 PM

I'm surprised no one has replied to this yet - July's not that far away!  

In any event, I'm planning on coming and camping.  I'll probably trailer the MB750.  Put me down for 2 people, I may be bringing a friend.

Mark
Current:
2002 Ural Tourist
2017 Harley-Davidson FLHTK

Previous:
2000 BMW RT1100RT
1975 MB-750M
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1995 Honda Pan-European (ST1100)
1977 Honda CB750F

#3 Becky Blosser

Becky Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:45 PM

Mark,

Please contact Sid Pollard directly at thesidman11@msn.com and let him know you're coming.  He's the honcho (such as it is) of BURP.

Looking forward to seeing you there!
Becky Blosser

Winchester, VA

"The answer to any question starting, 'Why don't they-' is almost always, 'Money.'" - Robert A. Heinlein

#4 thesidman

thesidman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:41 AM

I too am surprized with the limited interested in the BURP rally this year. But, I have had several people inform me that they plan to attend but less than expected. Also, there are those that show up without letting anyone know, putting a stress on what we planned to feed Saturday evening.  I'm thinking that gas prices at or near $4 a gallon are keeping people closer to home. But, the BURP is centrally located to just about everyone on the East coast and therefore should be to our advantage. The rally will go on with or without large numbers. This is a no fee rally, so think of it this way; what you are saving by it being a no fee rally you can apply that to your fuel cost, a small help I know, but every little bit helps.

Come join us at the Blue Ridge Ural riders Party, the longest continous running rally sponcered by "The Riders of The Eastern Front". This is not ment to take away from SPITS in anyway, just stating a fact. There will be some door prizes for a lucky few and fun had by all.  

Rich Maund and I will co-host this year by ourselves as Dnepr Tim will be out of country come July.

thesidman

#5 canonmanmart

canonmanmart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:01 AM

I have plans on going to BURP again this year.  With no recent posts about it I'm wondering if it's still on??  Lets hear from  those who plan on going.

Marty
canonmanmart
[b]Marty Hymen  "Jersey Devil Chaser"
2008 klr 650
2006 Ural Gear-Up
2004 Roadking-SOLD
1981 HD Wideglide-SOLD
2008 HD Cross Bones-NEW
2009 Ducati Multistrada-NEW

#6 Becky Blosser

Becky Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:27 PM

As far as I know, it's still on.  I made my reservations at the Blue Ridge Motel today.

Sid, any changes?
Becky Blosser

Winchester, VA

#7 IVANGROZNEY

IVANGROZNEY

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:21 PM

I'll be there. What's the head count up to?  Motel sounds temping, AC and all, but I plan on drinking Baltika around the campfire untill I am in no condition to ride.
New Jersey Ken,
94 Tourist w/750 original owner
95 Solo Dr Jeckel
Traveling Twelve 04
Vice Commissar Eastern Seaboard Division CURD

#8 Mark_MB750M

Mark_MB750M

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:42 PM

Yep, I'll be there too.  Baltika sounds good, I'm going to pick up some Obolov (sp?) as well.

Maybe burgers and dogs one evening?

M
Current:
2002 Ural Tourist
2017 Harley-Davidson FLHTK

Previous:
2000 BMW RT1100RT
1975 MB-750M
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1995 Honda Pan-European (ST1100)
1977 Honda CB750F

#9 Becky Blosser

Becky Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:03 PM

Guys,

Please be sure to email Sid or Rich Maund and let one or both know you are coming.  There were some problems with headcount last year at the Saturday evening supper and we want to avoid that this year.

Looking forward to seeing y'all there!
Becky Blosser

Winchester, VA

#10 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with three wheels and motors!

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:02 PM

Folks

I'll be doing the cooking Saturday evening!

To prevent the problems caused last year by so many more folks showing up than we planned for (Some folks didn't didn't get firsts of the chili let alone seconds.) I will take a head count saturday and ride back to town to get groceries then. That way I'll be cooking enough food for everyone.

I'm covering the groceries out of my own pocket. I just ask that folks donate something if you eat there. Just pitch in what the groceries are worth. We did this last year and folks were very generous. I got reimbursed for the groceries I bought as well as Sid's groceries and we gave the rest to NJ Ken to cover the generous Russian beer donation he brought. It was cool that we all broke exactly even on it. So it worked out well.

Depending on weather, I may be there Thursday to enjoy a longer trip. At the latest I'll be there Friday afternoon. Plenty of time to see how many people we'll have for the Saturday Dinner! I promise, no one goes hungry this year!

I'll get dogs and burgers and perhaps make a batch of chili to put on the dogs. Full fixins!  :biggrin:

I really enjoy cooking, so this is a vacation for me!

I'm not sure if Donna will join me on this trip. We no longer own a trailer to transport the rig. Sold the huge old trailer as its too big for my car to pull. I have a small custom one planned to build, but am only just starting to gather materials for it. I bought a new Miller DC stick welder last week, so a new trailer is a great project for that! (Building the trailer myself will save enough to pay for that welder!) Our weather has been horrible lately. Drought, wild fires, hazy smoke, heat and humidity. It's rained once for twenty minutes all summer! So the ride all day across Va. on Rt. 58 is a miserable one. No relief until we get to the mountains! If it cools off perhaps she'll come. If it looks like lots of rain, I'll just drive the car there. But one way or another your cook will be there!  :feelssogood:  Thankfully Willville has that big covered pavillion for us to hang out under if the weather turns. Nothing gets in the way of a good bar-b-que there!

See you guys at Willvile!
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery
"Your Ass Will Thank You"
2003 Ural Retro Custom Rig "Oleysia"

#11 thesidman

thesidman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:04 PM

For sure there will be a BURP rally and it's just a little better than a week away. I have heard from several of you that plan to attend, with these numbers and the ones that just show up unanounced (slackers) we will have a really good turnout this year. I have asked the campground owner to reserve for us the right side of the campground, keeping the bulk of us together in a group. Rich is doing the cooking Saturday night, so you may want to pack plenty of Tums and some of that pink stuff along with the amodium AD  :smile: :atombomb:

If interested in the Blue Ridge Ural Riders Party (open to all sidecars, but mostly Easterrn European types) to find out more go to www.uralrallies.com and click onto BURP and follow the instructions to a good time.

I look forward to seeing you if you can do it, :feelssogood:

thesidman

#12 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:41 PM

View Postthesidman, on Jul 2 2008, 04:04 PM, said:

For sure there will be a BURP rally and it's just a little better than a week away. I have heard from several of you that plan to attend, with these numbers and the ones that just show up unanounced (slackers) we will have a really good turnout this year. I have asked the campground owner to reserve for us the right side of the campground, keeping the bulk of us together in a group. Rich is doing the cooking Saturday night, so you may want to pack plenty of Tums and some of that pink stuff along with the amodium AD  :flame-on!: :atombomb:

If interested in the Blue Ridge Ural Riders Party (open to all sidecars, but mostly Easterrn European types) to find out more go to www.uralrallies.com and click onto BURP and follow the instructions to a good time.

I look forward to seeing you if you can do it, :feelssogood:

thesidman

Would like very much to get there guys, but, everything is kind of ganging up, so will have to wait till next year.....will the chilli keep that long.....Ken

#13 mracer

mracer

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Interests:Vintage racing, cars, motorcycles, art, books, travel, weapons, photography, my wife and my son.

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:37 PM

Ken, i trully hope to see you there next year as i will try my best to maket there and then.
Happy 4th.

max
Max

#14 fallsgable

fallsgable

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:GO BALTIMORE RAVENS!!

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:44 PM

I will be there along with my son, to keep me awake for the 6 hour drive down! :blink:  :feelssogood:

So I am in for 2 and I'll take a nice quiet campsite...not too far from the head please...    :beerchug:

My only concern as this is the first time bringing the young one along, is that, unlike RDV, where there are sidecar games, a mini zoo and swimming...BURP might bore him, while I am having a blast with the Ural....

Either way, we're in...see you there....
Michael S.
Baltimore, MD
'04 Retro Sidecar
'06 Suzuki Boulevard C50c

You only need 2 tools, WD-40 and Duct Tape.... If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40...If it moves and it shouldn't, use the tape...

#15 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with three wheels and motors!

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:36 AM

View Postfallsgable, on Jul 8 2008, 11:44 PM, said:

I will be there along with my son, to keep me awake for the 6 hour drive down! :blink:  :feelssogood:

So I am in for 2 and I'll take a nice quiet campsite...not too far from the head please...    :beerchug:

My only concern as this is the first time bringing the young one along, is that, unlike RDV, where there are sidecar games, a mini zoo and swimming...BURP might bore him, while I am having a blast with the Ural....

Either way, we're in...see you there....

There's a little brook running beside the tent sites we'll be using. Just leave him alone. He's a boy. He'll instinctively work at damming up the brook and later that night it'll flood out our tents. He'll have a ball! Don't worry!

:beerchug:

Changing the oils today and  the Ural is good to go! Donna and I plan to ride all the way out and back!!
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery
"Your Ass Will Thank You"
2003 Ural Retro Custom Rig "Oleysia"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users