67 replies to this topic

#31 Paul St. John

Paul St. John

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:48 AM

If it had been my Ural, I probably wouldn't be so upset, although I still think you don't touch somebody's prop. without permission.  A two wheel bike though is a different story, they can and will tip over.
Paul
2000 Patrol "Lovanta"
1990 FLHTC
1942 WLA

#32 kliff

kliff

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:metal fabrication

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:03 AM

The citizens seem to take it for granted that motorcycles are public property, to be used or abused any way THEY see fit.

After you chewed her out, you should have followed her to her locked car, and before she unlocked it, jumped on the hood, walk over the roof to the trunk then jump off. And you could tell her, "I'd have sat in it, to see if it's comfy....but it was locked, so I just wanted to look at it from above..."

It certainly gets their attention.
kliff...   O.D. = OVER DIRT...  Rattle cans, nothing matches, and it remains camo....gotta luv it!

ADVrider  and  Dixie Dual Sport  supporter.

#33 OldSkool

OldSkool

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:I Have a dnepr imported from the Ukraine i bought locally from a young man who gave up after trying to convert it to solo,

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:35 AM

When i was a kid growing up you got a swift kick in the pants if you messed with someones ride. Now i guess people have no fear of being kicked in the butt, or the value of something or even working hard and saving to have something kool and trying to keep it nice, Respect is often hard to come by these days, :biggrin:
MY DNEPR PAGE

DNEPR MT 11

1985 BMW K100

2006 Dodge Dakota Slt Crew Cab

"No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size.
So, governments' programs, once launched,
never disappear.
Actually,
a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life
we'll ever see on this earth.".R.W.R

#34 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with three wheels and motors!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:51 AM

I know this is an old thread. But it is a good one.

It got me thinking to what my Mom taught me and my little brother when we were kids. She'd remind us to put our hands in our pockets when we "looked" at something so we wouldn't accidentally touch it. It's funny, but to this day (I'm 47 now) I still finding myself doing that. Respect for the property of others is important!
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery
"Your Ass Will Thank You"
2003 Ural Retro Custom Rig "Oleysia"

#35 Huey

Huey

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Vintage cars, motorcycles and sidecar rigs of any sort.

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:49 PM

Head on down to WallyWorld and see how often you see such practical sense put into actual practice. Hang at the toy area for a moment or two and you will likely see as many, if not more, parents who have to play with the toys and open packages on the shelves wihout purchasing them. It is a different world we live in today, I suspect, but having any thougts at all to the other person's property is something that sure could use some parental teaching.

I say that after last night's experience of being two isles away from the toy section of Target's and not being able to hear much of anything, due to the constant bouncing of a basket ball from the two kids playing in the toy isle. The parents who were nearby did not tell them to stop or to put the ball back on the shelf before they broke anything. I  then turned into an isle to look for an item and was almost run into by a teenager who was actually riding a bicycle down the isle. Not sure if that made me as angry as the kid who almost ran into me with those darn skate tennis shoes, but no parents were doing anything. Neither were the store clerks who seemed to disappear. Yes, it is indeed a different world we live in these days, I suspect. Common sense and common curtesy seems to have to be checked at the door.

if it makes any logical sense, then it won't get done, at least not by the parents i have been viewing of late.

Maybe it would be too dificult to get them to put their hands in their pockets these days, as the baggy pants they wear always seem to hang down to their ankles. :-)
My opinions are all vast, but, unfortunately, your's are only half-vast.

#36 seekeronsaltspring

seekeronsaltspring

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:50 PM

Placed a sign that read  $5.00 for picture of you and bike.  that may keep the monkeys off it.

#37 IVANGROZNEY

IVANGROZNEY

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:15 PM

Put a Russian Iron Motorcycle Club sticker on it. That might scare them off. After I put one on my truck a few years ago I over heard my Hispanic nehibors across the street saying "Don't mess with him, He's in a motorcycle club." :biggrin:  For real, they realy did. There are so many MC's out there most people don't know what Russian Iron is.  I don't know most of the MC clubs that show up a the NY bike show and I've been doing that for 5 years.
New Jersey Ken,
94 Tourist w/750 original owner
95 Solo Dr Jeckel
Traveling Twelve 04
Vice Commissar Eastern Seaboard Division CURD

#38 Warthog

Warthog

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:58 AM

I hadn't seen this thread before and, fortunately, I've not experienced any of this yet.  Lots of leaning over it and pointing, but no touching.  

A number of posts had me laughing and others had me nodding.  I respect those of you who are not so bothered by it.  Admittedly, I have abused my rig more than any roadside/car-park pointer, but its the principal of it being mine.  I worked my arse off for it, I chose it, I try to keep it running, and it is not a piece of public art, nor a park bench and should not be treated as so, IMO.  As pointed out I would not sit on someone's bonnet, or waltz into their living room and switch on their TV....  
I am a pretty pacifistic type, but one thing that makes me see red is touching my bikes!!  May sound like macho bull, but these are the things that I have always worked hard to buy and keep: requires some sacrifices when you are not earning so much.  It does not help mattters that for most, bikes are probably more personal than their cars.  A car is just a useful tool for me (I don't even own one).  My bike is a more personal affair....

That said, a few times parents and kids have stopped to look at it, and I have felt happy to offer them to sit on my rig or my solo....

Its just down to respect for other's property and, by default, others themselves.  Definitely in decline, I think....
Boldly going where common sense fears to tread..... and then limping back again.

Sportman 2007: "The Improbability Magnet"

#39 MartyL

MartyL

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:59 PM

Recently, I was picking up a six pack at my local beverage store when as I was heading out back to my rig was my X next door neighbor (he and his X  recently divorced, she got the house) sitting on my rig. He thought he was being funny but I guess by the look on my face, I could see that he thought sitting on my rig was a bad idea. I didn't scold him about it because he really is a nice guy and he's got enough grief in his life. We talked a little bit and I went on my way. Sometimes stuff like this takes restraint and we have to choose our battles accordingly. I think the bottom line is what we learn in Kindergarden really does matter. Sometimes manners stick, sometimes it doesn't
Peace....God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom.
Marty
2005 Patrol Sold.
2010 Gear Up. In the Garage! Whoo!!! Hoo!!!
1976 Yamaha XS 650C

#40 IVANGROZNEY

IVANGROZNEY

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:59 PM

View Postseekeronsaltspring, on Jan 13 2009, 02:50 PM, said:

Placed a sign that read  $5.00 for picture of you and bike.  that may keep the monkeys off it.

At the last ISOK Ron Dee Voo a group of us were out for a ride. We stopped someplace and a guy came over saying "I just want to look at the bikes." I put my head down and grumbled "ok, no pictures." I had Big Larry cracking up. The guy said "I wasn't going to take any pictures." I did see 3 or 4 people with camera phones quickly put them away and skulk off.
New Jersey Ken,
94 Tourist w/750 original owner
95 Solo Dr Jeckel
Traveling Twelve 04
Vice Commissar Eastern Seaboard Division CURD

#41 OldSkool

OldSkool

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:I Have a dnepr imported from the Ukraine i bought locally from a young man who gave up after trying to convert it to solo,

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:27 AM

A picture is worth a thousand words, i brought my rig to an air show in sept 08, i took pic of people taking pics of the rig

Attached Files

MY DNEPR PAGE

DNEPR MT 11

1985 BMW K100

2006 Dodge Dakota Slt Crew Cab

"No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size.
So, governments' programs, once launched,
never disappear.
Actually,
a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life
we'll ever see on this earth.".R.W.R

#42 MG34Biker

MG34Biker

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:22 PM

So how do I get to Prospect for this Russian Iron MC you speak of?    My nickname shall be "StraightRazor" since I don't smoke, don't drink, do smoke MJ, no criminal record, no tats, short hair and I go  to church.

Don't ratfornicate my ride or my colors, else I replace your new solid-state voltage regulator with Russian version.    

We're already international, brahs!
K750/CJ750 Frankenskooter

Russian Iron MC
Colorado Cossacks Chapter

#43 JerseyBlues

JerseyBlues

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:22 PM

Wow! Manners is one thing (my parents raised me to respect others and all that), but I think here in NJ, there are so many "Motorcycle Clubs" that wear colors, you would be crazy to sit on a bike of any type. It is simply suicidal and I believe most people know that.

Bikes are definately a personal thing, and sitting on one without permission is just looking for trouble. Heck, I know better than to even ask to sit on some bikes...that can get you killed too...
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

#44 MG34Biker

MG34Biker

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:29 PM

View PostJerseyBlues, on Jan 15 2009, 02:22 PM, said:

Wow! Manners is one thing (my parents raised me to respect others and all that), but I think here in NJ, there are so many "Motorcycle Clubs" that wear colors, you would be crazy to sit on a bike of any type. It is simply suicidal and I believe most people know that.

Bikes are definately a personal thing, and sitting on one without permission is just looking for trouble. Heck, I know better than to even ask to sit on some bikes...that can get you killed too...

Hey JerseyBlues
  I was in HHC, 3/102d AR, 50th AD NJARNG, "Jersey Blues"
K750/CJ750 Frankenskooter

Russian Iron MC
Colorado Cossacks Chapter

#45 JerseyBlues

JerseyBlues

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:40 PM

View PostMG34Biker, on Jan 15 2009, 05:29 PM, said:

Hey JerseyBlues
  I was in HHC, 3/102d AR, 50th AD NJARNG, "Jersey Blues"

Wow! How old are you??? Wasn't that a Revolutionary War Regiment???

Seriously though, I play the harmonica...blues mainly, hence the moniker...
:beerchug:
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users