#16 Tud

Tud

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:11 AM

View PostMartyL, on Apr 24 2008, 08:12 AM, said:

It is really all about manners. Unfortunately we are out numbered by rudeness. It' part of the dumbing down of society. I try to teach my kids as best I can to be good citizens, be polite, and show respect. But also to not take any guff from anyone. Like just the other night, some very polite nice young ladies asked to sit on my bike.  :wink:  So how could I deny them? It pays to be polite..... :biggrin:

A Hooter's in Sanford, FL?  Well ######, I don't recall there one being there back when I lived in Lake Mary (about 7-8 years ago).

You're right, it's about manners.  I have no problem letting someone sit on my bike, provided I'm asked, or I offer.  So far it's never been an issue.

Tud

#17 Paul St. John

Paul St. John

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:33 PM

My wife and I were at a Perkins having diner one time when I looked out the window and saw a young kid climbing on my Electraglide and the Parents were right there.  So I ran out to tell them to get her off, and the got mad at me.  So I asked them how they would feel if that 700+ bike fell over on their sweet little monster.  That shut them up but they still weren't to happy.  I little while later I looked out and some more of their tribe were playing catch with a football and bouncing it off of cars in the parking lot, parents still just standing around paying no attention to what their little monsters were doing.  Then they wonder why their kids are getting killed in the hood.
Paul
2000 Patrol "Lovanta"
1990 FLHTC
1942 WLA

#18 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:17 AM

May be digressing a tad, but the lack of respect and poor manners, is the result of poor parenting. Betty and I are in complete agreement that the very worst thing you can do to your kids is not teach and enforce, manners and respect for others, it will quietly close doors for them all for their entire lives, and the grandchildren too.....Sad....Ken

#19 Tud

Tud

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:46 AM

View PostKen Ulrich, on Apr 25 2008, 08:17 AM, said:

May be digressing a tad, but the lack of respect and poor manners, is the result of poor parenting. Betty and I are in complete agreement that the very worst thing you can do to your kids is not teach and enforce, manners and respect for others, it will quietly close doors for them all for their entire lives, and the grandchildren too.....Sad....Ken

Agreed.  Mine are 7 and 5 and I make very sure that they don't touch something that isn't theirs without asking.  At that age it sometimes seems futile, but I'm hoping it's something that sticks with them as they get older.

#20 GAVNO

GAVNO

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Interests:Amateur radio (W9LBB), plus short wave listening (signals intercept & traffic analysis), dog sports (canine agility competition, and a little conformation ring), deer hunting, competitive combat pistol shooting (.45ACP, .357, .44 magnum), old movies, classical music. Add to the list astronomy, and ATM (Amateur Telescope Making).

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:13 AM

This sad little thread has once again confirmed the wisdom of a decision I made many years ago. At that time, I became a loyal, life long customer of Youngs Drug Company, the manufacturer of TROJANS!  :wink: I decided that creating a bunch of leg biters isn't for me; in order to raise them, I'D have to grow up MYSELF first... and for a man whose hero is Peter Pan, that's a tall order!

The only logical conclusion was that Party Hats were the ONLY way to fly.

Nowadays...  after reading the posts here, and watching the little monsters throw screaming tantrums in the supermarket I feel my position has been totally vindicated. I only wish that about 50% of the REST of my generation had come to a similar conclusion and made the same decision that I did...    :biggrin:

GAVNO

Owner & Operator of the Mahon Loomis Memorial Short Wave Radio Monitoring Station and Irish Setter Retirement Home.
Lover of complicated radios, simple motorcycles, and friendly old dogs.
ABATE Wisconsin ____________ Patriot Guard Riders
Favorite bumper sticker: I WONDER... WOULD YOU DRIVE ANY BETTER WITH THAT CELLPHONE SHOVED UP YOUR ASS?
Spiritual Brother to Don Quixote De La Mancha...
          CONNOISEIER OF ROLLER DERBY, KILTS, AND OTHER ESOTERIC EFFLUVIA

#21 pigdog

pigdog

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:47 PM

Reminds me of when I came out of the store once and found some teenagers huddled around my HD while their friend sat on it and made his best vroom,vroom sounds. Nobody saw me coming until they heard me yell in my best DI voice, "What the hell do you think you are doing?"

Honest, the kid on the bike went right over the windshield without touching it while all his friends ran. The best part was him trying to get into his car, until he realized he was trying to get into the wrong one. I was rolling around in the parking lot after that!
"Be kind to the idiots in your life, because in someone else's life, you are the idiot."

Mike Lipkin

#22 Mud Pie

Mud Pie

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:07 PM

Years ago I had a Honda SilverWing Interstate (think GoldWing with a 500cc engine, same fairing, controls, etc).  I had an alarm system that sent a signal to a pager when the alarm was activated.

While Christmas shopping one year at the mall, I walked around the store with my hands full.  My pager went off.  I dropped everything on the nearest table and quickly walked outside.  Of course I was on the opposite end of the mall from where I parked my bike.

As I walked up, I saw a grown man standing next to my bike, his son sitting on my seat and trying to turn the handlebars left and right.  My fork lock was on, but that didn't stop the brat from trying.  I began to walk closer and closer, my anger getting worse with each step.

When I was about 6 feet behind him, I yelled as loud as I could, "WTF ARE YOU DOING ?!?!?!"  (I actually said all the curse words, but can't type them here...)  The father jumped, turned around and gave me that "what ??" look.  I continued yelling, "Do you see a F'n quarter slot next to my bike ?  That ain't no F'n ride, that's MY bike !!"

His answer ??  "He isn't hurting it !"  

HUH !?!?!?!

Then the kid started to cry.  So he says, "Look, you made him cry !"

I said, "In about 2 seconds I'm gonna make him F'n BLEED if you don't get the little barstard off my bike !!"

He picked up his crying kid and walked to the parking lot.  I followed.  He turned and looked at me.  I just said calmly, "I'm gonna jump on the hood of your car, that's cool with you, right ?  After all, it's okay with you for your kid to climb on MY bike."  Of course I stopped walking, I made my point.

He mumbles softly, "Someone has the Christmas spirit."

I just answered, "F-You you inconsiderate a$$hole !! Teach your little Fu(k-Trophy to respect other peoples property !!"

I go back and check my bike.  The choke knob is pulled out, all the radio knobs are turned to max, the cruise control is locked on, the fairing pocket snaps are all undone on one side.  I thought about getting his license number, but I was too mad to hop on the bike just yet, I had to mellow out.

The thing that really got me, is the guy thought he was in the right to do what he did !!!
2005 Ural Gear Up
1983 Honda C70 Passport

The early bird mat get the worm, but the worm that sleeps late doesn't get eaten

#23 GAVNO

GAVNO

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Interests:Amateur radio (W9LBB), plus short wave listening (signals intercept & traffic analysis), dog sports (canine agility competition, and a little conformation ring), deer hunting, competitive combat pistol shooting (.45ACP, .357, .44 magnum), old movies, classical music. Add to the list astronomy, and ATM (Amateur Telescope Making).

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:01 PM

View PostMud Pie, on Apr 25 2008, 07:07 PM, said:

The thing that really got me, is the guy thought he was in the right to do what he did !!!

Can you say "The ME Generation"? Modify that slightly...   it's now "The ME and MY KID Generation".

An awful lot of folks seem to think that just because thier kid is involved it justifies them doing just about ANYTHING, to anybody they damned well please. They're under the mistaken impression that the rest of the world is as impressed by and enamoured of thier spawn as THEY are.

I was required to pass an examination before they gave me a license to operate my bike...  but airheads like that clown are permitted to irresponsibly procreate at will without even getting a learner's permit.

Some day, when the cops pick up the kid for tipping over tombstones or planting cellphone cameras in the girl's locker room, that kid is gonna have to pay full price for his Daddy's indulgence and idiocy...   and they'll both wonder why the world's picking on 'em.

GAVNO

Owner & Operator of the Mahon Loomis Memorial Short Wave Radio Monitoring Station and Irish Setter Retirement Home.
Lover of complicated radios, simple motorcycles, and friendly old dogs.
ABATE Wisconsin ____________ Patriot Guard Riders
Favorite bumper sticker: I WONDER... WOULD YOU DRIVE ANY BETTER WITH THAT CELLPHONE SHOVED UP YOUR ASS?
Spiritual Brother to Don Quixote De La Mancha...
          CONNOISEIER OF ROLLER DERBY, KILTS, AND OTHER ESOTERIC EFFLUVIA

#24 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:41 PM

The saga goes on, For a birthday present my daughter got Betty and I a gift Certtificate, to go out to dinner at a local resturant, usually go out to eat on Friday night, So went to this place on main street of Mosinee, walked in and stopped, sign said, wait to be seated, also was a sign that said if using a gift certificate, inform the waitress BEFORE ordering....well that is tacky, but only (# 1,) Bar maid yells accross the room full of friday nite booszers, go ahead and sit down (No.2#), so we did as ordered. one fat 18 year old waitress sluffleing about, I put my hands on the table cloth, which was a felxiable plastic of some sort, and it stuck to my hands, about that moment, fat girl sluffles up and says" I'll take your drink order", I requested that she clean the table cloth first so a menu won't stick to it, Fat-so tells me she shall get our drink order first, I said "no, I'd like the tablecloth cleaned, now", "no I will get your drink order first," all heads around us were watching this , especially one lady already feeding her 4 youngsters, had a pretty horrified look. To start with I didn't want a dammed drink......This rude slovenly thing is exactly what I was speaking of, The prize product of slob parenting, you can take a bet to the bank that she will, end up at 30 with three or more kids of various fathers, whining that she is a single mom, and the welfare check dosen't allow for beer money......I had enuff, we left and had chineese. But I have a plan, I am going to send this story to the editor of this little newpaper in town, detail it out nicely, with the fact that we don't eat on dirty tables at home, so why should we have to do it in a public place, send a copy of this off to the health department, and then offer up this 30.00 gift certificate to anyone hungry enuff, to risk their health for a few days....Someone is gonna be pissed, and it won't be me.......Ken

#25 Isenhelm

Isenhelm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 01:46 AM

Wow! I knew it must have happened to someone else on the forum, but some of your stories are much worse.

There was restraint alright, I was so angry I was biting my tongue. I thought if I let out a peep I would explode. I am sure it was written all over my face though, the way they scuttled off faster as I got closer (or they knew they were busted doing something they shouldnt). I was not so worried about scratches, I was worried about the carb getting stomped or who knows what... It is the principal that gets me most.. YOU JUST DON'T DO IT! you don't get on motorcycle just like you don't get into cars or houses, boats etc....
how in the world people just don't get it is amazing.  I hope it doesnt happen again, and I really hope I don't get one of these people who says some form of "Aint hurting it" That is just fuel on the fire.  :atombomb:

It was a book store in a large plaza full of other stores selling mindless consumer garbage so its no wonder. There is always a very high ratio of some types of assorted moron at the mall.

I am definitely parking in sight and peeking out at it more often. One more reason I like shopping on line.

The two places I have been the least worried so far have been the gun show and the gun range, armed society = polite society. It gets a lot of attention at gun shows though, must be the camo paint.
2006 Gear Up
-Still feeling it out.

"The open road, like a blue horizon and you could see for miles"

#26 Rob_W

Rob_W

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 05:42 AM

the best one that happened to me, was with my CBR. i was out at the local biker gathering spot at 1:00am having a burger, when 2 car loads of african-american lads pulled up, must have been 10 people in these two cars, one whom seemed either very drunk or high, he walks right over to my bike and sits on it. there was only me my freind and another guy, and they both look at me like what am i going to do? I calmly walked over and as politely as possible asked him to get off, he refuses, I then grab him by the arm, but not with much force or anything, i'm obviously fearing for my own saftey at this point. he then swings at me and says "get the f**k off me!" so right after this, one of his freinds approches, and yells at him to get off my bike, his buddy then gives me a weird handshake, and introduces him self as the leader of the gang in which they were all a part of. I remember we left so fast after that, none of us even buckled our helmets, lol
-2006 Ural Tourist
-2000 Aprilia Rs-50
-1994 Honda CBR-600F2

#27 vradin

vradin

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Scouts, guns, fishing, computers, and mo'sickles

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:16 PM

Why is it almost always the brats with stick fingers that get into the hack, or play with the grips and windscreen.  Posted Image Had a couple of them climbing all over my Gear Up outside a Culver's (ice cream and heart-attack burgers) in Northern Wisc. Drippy cone in one hand and drool over everything.

I don't have a DI voice, but have been told that my 'Range Officer' voice makes DI's homesick. Had the manager call the local cops for attempted theft of a vehicle before I went outside to let the parent know how displeased I was, in similar words to pigdog's.  I think I used the phrase crotch-fruit, though.  Parent tried to leave, but I let them know the cops were on the way and it might be not-so-good leaving the scene of an attempted theft. Parent got off with a warning and had to clean the goo off the rig, brats got a lesson in manners, and Mr Occifer and I got to talking- he had a hack rig in his younger days and asked to take the Gearup for a spin around the block. A little UDF, a butter burger, raspberry smoothie, and making a LEO happy. Almost worth the drooly brats in the first place :atombomb:

vic
Vic
'05 Gear Up - "Prince Myshkin" aka Идиот

#28 Honda este 1300 Pilot

Honda este 1300 Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:bikes of all kinds, current stable, 06 Honda ST1300 (Basic Black), 06 Ural Gear Up (function over style) and 06 2wd Rokon trail bike.

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:06 PM

I bought my Ural specifically to give my grandson and my dog rides, I really am not too worried about ice cream covered fingers.

Always keep the kid's helmet in the trunk, a few times have made some family's day by taking the curious kids for a quick spin around the parking lot of wherever I happen to be.  Everyone leaves smiling, I think Urals have that effect on people, makes my day brighter.

Bugs splat, birds poop and Russian iron rusts, the bike handles it, I would never use foul language and threats around children, even if they (and thier parents) are rude.

#29 IVANGROZNEY

IVANGROZNEY

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 06:59 PM

Where I used to work ,from 6 to 11 years ago, I would sometime see the neighborhood children leaving my side car when I came back from a day in the field. I didn't think yelling at them would do much good because they were likly to do it anyway after school before I got back. I started keeping the tounne cover on the hack all the time. I think that solve the problem because these children probably would not have known how to put it back on. They were probably 7?
New Jersey Ken,
94 Tourist w/750 original owner
95 Solo Dr Jeckel
Traveling Twelve 04
Vice Commissar Eastern Seaboard Division CURD

#30 IMZman

IMZman

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:37 AM

Me, I could care less as long as they are not beating it up with a section of pipe. Along a similar note, I was at an air show once when I saw a father set his young son on the wing of a T-6 for a photo...the guy who owned the plane screamed, cursed and ripped both up one side and down the other. The boy left in tears. I figured there would be one less pilot in the world now. The fella I flew in with (in his T-6) just shook his head, he could have cared less if a school yard of kids were climbing all over his. He said that one reason he came to shows was so people "could" climb in and sit in a piece of history...I guess it is just how you look at life.

Malicious intent or attempted theft is an entirely different matter though....
Bill Glaser
2002 Patrol "CYKA"
200,000+ km's since May 2002
Click here to go to: "The Unofficial URAL 750cc Service Manual"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users