• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Isenhelm

Isenhelm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:15 AM

The wife and I went to the book store, one of those national chain book stores that are often on the huge sprawling new plazas and this one was as well.

I walk out of the store and look out to the parking lot ahead of me and I see this chubby young woman taking pictures and it seems to be in the direction of my GU...
thats fine I guess.. but then I notice she is taking pictures of someone sitting on my GU! oh no! the first thing I think of is my carbs.... But in general I am infuriated.

As I approach the one who was taking the pictures is now suspicious that the angry looking man in the leather jacket walking towards them might be the owner while the other one is flapping her yap about it still... young woman maybe 20.. Its hard to tell these days.

I could not believe it. I thought there was some universal INSTINCT in people not to touch and definitely not to get on motorcycles?? I guess I was wrong.

Now that I know I was wrong I will be hopping into and onto every classic car or motorcycle I see and posing for pics.

So, how many of you has this happened to?
2006 Gear Up
-Still feeling it out.

"The open road, like a blue horizon and you could see for miles"

#2 bear

bear

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:22 AM

:thumbsup!: I hope you ripped them up and down.  I am always amazed at the audacity of people who do not ride, own motorcycles that think that they are jungle gyms or public property for their snot nosed, poor mannered puppies to crawl all over.  Or they start touching the bike, I always come up and ask if it would be okay if I crawled all over their car.  They usually act offended and shocked, then act all indignant.  People are Crap.
2004 Patrol
2000 GS
1995 CR

Enjoy the ride.

#3 MartyL

MartyL

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:20 PM

Welcome to the club! Coming out of the store I find a lady letting her kids climb all over my bike. I walk up to her and I asked, "Where is your car so I can sit in it." She looked at me like I was the bad guy and being an A$$hole... It's kinda like when you go to an antique car show and the owners have signs that say, "Look but don't touch". Those signs are made for a reason. People can be very inconsiderate. It's tough to have faith in the human race.... :thumbsup!:
Peace....God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom.
Marty
2005 Patrol Sold.
2010 Gear Up. In the Garage! Whoo!!! Hoo!!!
1976 Yamaha XS 650C

#4 charlie23

charlie23

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, Booze and Art. Pretty much in that order.

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:13 PM

It's a common thing at bike rallies here... everybody jumps on everybody else's bike to check it out, but it's done with a relative amount of respect (by other bikers who I generally know and trust) and I don't have a problem there.
On the other hand, if a stranger touches my bike in a parking lot or other public area they will be treated as if they were trying to steal it. I've seen plenty of cases of people being beaten senseless for that crap, I'd say you acted with plenty of restraint.
Charlie's Vintage Kustoms
Flesh & Relics Blog (NSFW)
1953 M72
1956 Izh Planeta
1961 M61
1978 MT11
1982 Yamaha XS1100
1986 Suzuki VS750GL

#5 Charlie Pew

Charlie Pew

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:Trap, any kind of shooting, Sober since 15 April 1985, Mason, Shirner,

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:38 PM

View Postcharlie23, on Apr 23 2008, 02:13 PM, said:

It's a common thing at bike rallies here... everybody jumps on everybody else's bike to check it out, but it's done with a relative amount of respect (by other bikers who I generally know and trust) and I don't have a problem there.
On the other hand, if a stranger touches my bike in a parking lot or other public area they will be treated as if they were trying to steal it. I've seen plenty of cases of people being beaten senseless for that crap, I'd say you acted with plenty of restraint.

It has happened to me too...

I always ask them if they are ready to buy it!!!
Charlie
1966 "Plywood" VW trike
2000  Ural Deco

#6 Alan Bond

Alan Bond

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Riding motorcycles and reading huge numbers of sci-fi and political thriller novels.

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:48 PM

Isenhelm, if you chewed their butt off you did the right thing.  Manners must be learned.  I do not touch other folks bike, cars or guns without express permission.

In 1990 I stopped at a fast food joint after an action packed 8hr afternoon shift at the PD.  I came out to see a drunken 17 yr old sitting on my new and pristine Electra Glide.  3 options ran thru my head--

Head Shot?  Satisfying, yes, but frowned upon in these enlightened times.  Also, too much paperwork.

Badge him and do the cop thing?  Naaa, I got enough of that at work.

So, there I was, all 6'2" and 270 lbs dressed in fashionable black leather.  (Yes, I got the H-D thing out of my system)

I simply walked over, grabbed him by the front of the shirt and plucked his sorry little arse offa my bike, strongly suggesting he never do that again.  As he was in the air, it slowly dawned on him that the big ugly fella was upset with him.  His friends dragged him away and apologised.  I heard them say "He was gonna kill you!"

I wasn't, but they didn't have to know.

Anyone messing with your bike in any way should have an impromptu lesson in manners.

Alan Bond
2004 Tourist
1997 GoldWing
2008 KLR650
Harley free from 1995

#7 Becky Blosser

Becky Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:59 PM

So far, we haven't CAUGHT anyone...but I do tend to be on the paranoid side.  Our first Ural (the '94) had scratches on the tank from kids climbing on it - it had formerly been the dealer's demo.

I tend not to wander too far from the bike when there are high concentrations of kids - Dairy Queen is about the worst for tons of kids, all with a sugar rush.  

I have invited kids to sit on the bike if the parents seem interested.

I'm surprised you had a problem at a bookstore - readers tend to be a little more enlightened.  Locally, we have the most UDF at bookstores.
Becky Blosser
Russian Iron Administrator

Winchester, VA
A lonely outpost on the Eastern Front

"The answer to any question starting, 'Why don't they-' is almost always, 'Money.'" - Robert A. Heinlein

#8 propwash

propwash

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:09 PM

Definitely a bad situation.
I keep mine so dirty, most people fear it.

#9 Huey

Huey

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Vintage cars, motorcycles and sidecar rigs of any sort.

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:56 PM

Your bike and your adventure in working out the details of how you handle such folks. Me, I have owned Model A Fords and all sorts of antique cars all of my life.  I never got a sign to tell folks to not touch or fear for their lives if they did.  I could care all the less in most circumstances. Car horns were meant to be honked. Running boards were meant to be stood on. Kids were meant to be inquisitive, so I was quite a bit different than most of the other old farts who attened the swap meets and car shows with me.  My kiddo grew up in letting others hop in the Model A, Falcon or old VW and push the brakes, honk the horn and stand on the running boards. She loved doing that and we enjoyed many years of letting it happen.  I sold off the Model A for the Troyka and nothing in my attitude really changed.  So what if the bike gets a character mark here or there?  It wasn't bought to be an investment in the first place.  If I had wanted that, then I'd have never selected a Ural.

Now, having said that, my bike isn't there for just anyone to hop on and try to destroy.  I wouldn't want some kid with a supersized snow cone dripping it all over the seat and such, but I haven't seen many folks do that though.  I doubt that them taking pictures and looking silly in the tug isn't the end of the world, but, again, it is your bike and your personal taste in what you would allow.  I'd probably let them know that it was my rig, but by the time they figured that out, I'd probably be snapping photos of them as well.  It hasn't happened to me yet, but I'd probably get over it pretty quick if it did.  That is, if they didn't really hurt anything.

In reality, you just happened to find them there out of sheer luck.  Just imagine how often it may happen when you aren't watching your rig.

I just have a different take on it, but to each his own. Like say, it is your bike and your choice as to what way you react.  Texas had the concealed handgun law here, so I am a shade more careful in showing my anger these days.  Since I don't carry, I would be at the disadvantage and no one would care all the less after the event was over for me to win the victory in saying that the other fellow was in the wrong. I'd still be just as dead. :-)
My opinions are all vast, but, unfortunately, your's are only half-vast.

#10 Iron Mike

Iron Mike

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles of all kinds! Music, Travel.

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:17 PM

The general public used to fear bikers and give us and our bikes a wide berth. Moms would avert their eyes and hurry their children away....... Walter mitty types would tremble in fear.........

Problem is as a subculture we've just become to darn lovable.  :thumbsup!:

Fortunately I don't  own anything that approaches show bike quality so when these little incidents happen , while not happy I do take it with a grain of salt. Maybe the little kid that mom plopped on my bike just might be having that watershed moment that creates a life time love of motorcycles.
Temporarily Dneprless

#11 scrinch

scrinch

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:21 PM

When my bike was parked in front of our shop there were a couple of young very good looking girls posing all around my bike,  well one was posing and the other was taking pictures.  They didn't get on it until I encouraged them to......and said hey, you would look good in my helmet and goggles too...  Maybe a different situation.

I would be pissed if someone , no matter how young and cute jumped on my bike, but some people seem to lack boundries.  A related story.  Years ago while I was building boats I kept my canoe pulled up next to the yard.  On day I wnt out to lunch and my canoe was missing and I saw some dude out in the bay paddling around with his hands.  (I kept the paddles in the shop)  When I yelled to him to bring my canoe back to shore he gave me some guff about not hurting it .  Hard to beleve what some people think is acceptable.
Kevin & Pam White

2005 Tourist  formerly
"Urola" Now PK5347

#12 gspell68

gspell68

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts
  • Interests:Keeping at least one of these two f*(k!^6 bikes running!

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:26 PM

I'm kinda with Huey on this one. It really wouldn't bother me much to see someone sitting on it having their picture taken or the like. But, I've banged on about every part of it with a BFH plus my bike is 50 years old and paint looks even older, so there's not much damage they can do. At least nothing I couldn't fix in a jiffy.

I can, however, understand with the rising prices of a Ural, the desire to take care of one. Especially the paint and seats on a primo Retro or Troyka. I reckon someone could probably kick a carb off a new one, but you could probably stand on my K-68's.

I've only recently ever had anyone ask me to sit on it for a photo and it was some kid's mom. They were both overly polite and it didn't bother me in the least. And it wouldn't bother me too much to find someone on it unexpectedly as long as they were kinda apolgetic, you know like, "Oh sorry, I didn't see you around but I wanted to get a feel for the funky looking seat, handlebars, etc." I might get an attitude if they got one with me or some parent was letting their kid use it for a jungle gym instead of putting a quarter in the horsey by the store door.
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
http://sites.google....site/foilheadz/
1951 K-750 (The Bull, БУЛ)
1962 K-750 (The Beast, БИСТ)
1959 M-72M Solo Rust Buc-Kit Bike

Sidecars are for b!#(*$.
Anyone who rides in that is automatically your b!#(*.
-Garden State

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
-Alexei Sayle

Real motorcycles have kickstarters and real men use them!
-Me

Cheap - Reliable - Fast
Pick any 2 and the last one won't apply!

#13 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with three wheels and motors!

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:50 PM

So far I have found most all folks to be very polite and they always ask before doing anything. Sidecars seem to bring out the good in folks.

But I did have an experience in the early 90's. Me and a friend were riding our Guzzis and stopped for lunch at a Burger King.
We sat down with our food a few minutes later just in time to see some idiot woman laughing and praising her kids for putting their hands all over the bikes. I went speechless and shocked as they were about to grab the hot chrome pipes. My buddy Warren ran out and screamed bloody murder at her for endangering her kids like that.

At least it had the right effect. She felt horrible not thinking about the hot pipes. He gave her another lecture about not touching other's property and she looked ready to cry. Her idiot children just ran off to another part of the parking lot to cause other trouble.

It was almost a case of Darwinism in action!
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery
"Your Ass Will Thank You"
2003 Ural Retro Custom Rig "Oleysia"

#14 Becky Blosser

Becky Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:45 AM

In this day of poor parenting and ambulance chasing, I worry more about the kids than the bike.  

I really fear that someday I'm going to come out of a store and find a kid on the ground beside the bike where he has become a little TOO athletic in his climbing and falls off and hurts himself seriously.

Maybe I've worked too many bike shows and seen how the kids behave there.  Granted, they are invited to sit on the bikes and we keep an eye on them.  But what might happen if they weren't invited and watched closely?  

Am I paranoid?  Could be....I certainly hope so in this case.
Becky Blosser
Russian Iron Administrator

Winchester, VA
A lonely outpost on the Eastern Front

"The answer to any question starting, 'Why don't they-' is almost always, 'Money.'" - Robert A. Heinlein

#15 MartyL

MartyL

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:12 AM

It is really all about manners. Unfortunately we are out numbered by rudeness. It' part of the dumbing down of society. I try to teach my kids as best I can to be good citizens, be polite, and show respect. But also to not take any guff from anyone. Like just the other night, some very polite nice young ladies asked to sit on my bike.  :wink:  So how could I deny them? It pays to be polite..... :biggrin:

Attached Files

Peace....God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom.
Marty
2005 Patrol Sold.
2010 Gear Up. In the Garage! Whoo!!! Hoo!!!
1976 Yamaha XS 650C

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users