Dogs at rallies

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 gec343

gec343

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling<br />Online stock trading<br />06 Ural Tourist<br />03 Honda ST1300/ABS<br />1971 BMW R60 (for sale)<br />00 Kawasaki W650<br />Whizzer

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:53 AM

Are dogs allowed at most rallies?

#2 Charlie Pew

Charlie Pew

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:Trap, any kind of shooting, Sober since 15 April 1985, Mason, Shirner,

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:52 PM

View Postgec343, on Mar 15 2008, 10:53 AM, said:

I

If not most of my Lady friends wouldn't be allowed...

I can only speak about my area, NC & SC.  As long as the 4 legged type is good, a little friendly, controlled, not barking all the time, and so on.   A couple I know love to give little love bits to get you to play/chase with them.

It is really up to the people running the Rally, so I would check.
Charlie
1966 "Plywood" VW trike
2000  Ural Deco

#3 gec343

gec343

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling<br />Online stock trading<br />06 Ural Tourist<br />03 Honda ST1300/ABS<br />1971 BMW R60 (for sale)<br />00 Kawasaki W650<br />Whizzer

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:43 PM

View PostCharlie Pew, on Mar 15 2008, 02:52 PM, said:

View Postgec343, on Mar 15 2008, 10:53 AM, said:

I

If not most of my Lady friends wouldn't be allowed...

I can only speak about my area, NC & SC.  As long as the 4 legged type is good, a little friendly, controlled, not barking all the time, and so on.   A couple I know love to give little love bits to get you to play/chase with them.

It is really up to the people running the Rally, so I would check.

Thanks, Charlie.  Same here.  years ago, I used to take my female friends to rallies, and yes, some were dogs.  I've been widowed for 34 years and I've finally found the right companion, a one year old Pug dog named Pugsley.  He is a delight to say the least, what a character.  He never compains and is alway happy to see me.

#4 redflasher

redflasher

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:driving sidecar outfits, shooting

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:02 AM

View Postgec343, on Mar 15 2008, 09:53 AM, said:

Leave them at home.  I've never understood why some people have to drag a dog along to public gatherings.  Besides the mess they leave, I don't like dodging around leashed or unleashed animals.  They may be your little "baby" but they ain't mine.  And, if your dog nips me, you are in for a long nasty legal battle.

Flame away!!! :thumbsup!:
Bob in Minnesota
2006 GearUP    По-русски

'Whilst sidecaring definitely builds both character and muscles, it's not as difficult as some people claim'

#5 gec343

gec343

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:10 AM

View Postredflasher, on Mar 16 2008, 08:02 AM, said:

Leave them at home.  I've never understood why some people have to drag a dog along to public gatherings.  Besides the mess they leave, I don't like dodging around leashed or unleashed animals.  They may be your little "baby" but they ain't mine.  And, if your dog nips me, you are in for a long nasty legal battle.

Flame away!!! :feelssogood:

Bob
Seems like you may have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed or something.  Or maybe you just spent too many years dealing with people on the road.  I spent 25 years in the MSP and have found that animals are much easier to deal with.  But anyway, thanks for the advice.

#6 redflasher

redflasher

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:driving sidecar outfits, shooting

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:31 AM

View Postgec343, on Mar 16 2008, 10:10 AM, said:

View Postredflasher, on Mar 16 2008, 08:02 AM, said:

Flame away!!! :unsure2:

Bob
Seems like you may have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed or something.  Or maybe you just spent too many years dealing with people on the road.  I spent 25 years in the MSP and have found that animals are much easier to deal with.  But anyway, thanks for the advice.

Yeah, you are probably right on both counts.  Cabin fever up here in the sorta frozen Northland.  We took the GearUP over to St Anthony Lock and Dam in downtown Minneapolis yesterday.  Lots of walkers, along with their "mans best friend" in tow.  Leaving both liquid and solid deposits.  Not a pooper scooper in sight.

Geez, I need to go for a long ride in the country. :feelssogood:
Bob in Minnesota
2006 GearUP    По-русски

'Whilst sidecaring definitely builds both character and muscles, it's not as difficult as some people claim'

#7 Dubliner15

Dubliner15

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, beer and babes... and flight simulators...<br><br>Books, books, dogs, beer (did I already mention beer?) beer, and the rustier things in life :)

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:37 AM

Watch out for the cowpats....

Dubwoof
ДЧ6

::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1990 Dnepr OHV 'Fidelma' - K750 tank, K68 carbs, five coats of black paint, lots of tinkering and some expert advice.
1991 Dnepr OHV 'Brandbilen' - work in progress - RAL 7021 make-up on an underused pig.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Dub's Dnepr

Russian bikes are not a mode of transport - they are a test of character.

It's always DneprTime

#8 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:12 AM

Dogs to Rallies? depends wheather you walk-em or ride-em, If you ride-em....NOOooo problem, if you can stand the giggles, If you walk-em...that another story, If they bite, like little Reily bites, that an indication on your leg that you have been to one of the better rallies to be found, If its missing, chances are you smell like a BiiiiggGG dog, Reily is no fool ya know, now if you bring a Biiigg dog, a lot of folks are not comfortable, the dog is not comfortable...troubles....we got troubles!  IMHO little dogs are ok, most big dogs are not a good idea, exception is mellow, aged dogs or Lab's and Golden retreviers, who with rare exception are pretty docile....pit bulls....where's my gun......Ken :biggrin:

#9 gec343

gec343

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:40 PM

I've always been a cat person, but since I live alone, My daughter talked me into getting this little Pug dog, named Pugsley.  She said that if I decided I didn't want it after a while, she would take it.  However, it was not long before I realized that this little dog is more entertaining than TV, computer or anything else that I know of. He rode with me on the back of my Honda ST1300 on several rides last Fall.  At that time he was small enough to ride in a small tool box on the rear, but he has outgrown that, so I have a large pet carrier for the ST, plus this Tourist for him now.  He loves them both, much like myself.

He is a pain in a lot of ways, but I cannot believe the joy and happiness he has brought into my hermit lifestyle.  I have not laughed this much in many years.  In reality, he  should not be taken to motorcycle rallies, but that decision has not been made for sure yet.  He is very well behaved, however, he does play rough with cats. :biggrin:

#10 africalight

africalight

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle Tourism<br />Engineering/Manufacturing<br />Disk Golf<br />Paintball-Action Pursuit Games (Woodsball, Scenarios)<br />African news<br />Innovative products<br />Low-tech enviro friendly systems<br />Solar/Wind/Hydro<br />Research Biodiesel for Illinois Institute of Rural Affairs

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:37 PM

I take my dogs to rallies quite often. No one has ever said anything negative to me about them. They are not big dogs so that may be a consideration.

Ryan
2006 Patrol (Green with disappearing chrome)

#11 csbdr

csbdr

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, flyfishing, riding to flyfishing, bluegrass, playing guitar and banjo, my boy (should have put him first!), camping

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:41 PM

My cat won't ride in the sidecar...can't figger that out...
2002 Ural Tourist - "Pikop Andropov" 29,500
2003 Yamaha RoadStar
2009 Royal Enfield C5

#12 Becky Blosser

Becky Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:25 PM

View PostKen Ulrich, on Mar 17 2008, 04:12 PM, said:

Dogs to Rallies? depends wheather you walk-em or ride-em, If you ride-em....NOOooo problem, if you can stand the giggles, If you walk-em...that another story, If they bite, like little Reily bites, that an indication on your leg that you have been to one of the better rallies to be found, If its missing, chances are you smell like a BiiiiggGG dog, Reily is no fool ya know, now if you bring a Biiigg dog, a lot of folks are not comfortable, the dog is not comfortable...troubles....we got troubles!  IMHO little dogs are ok, most big dogs are not a good idea, exception is mellow, aged dogs or Lab's and Golden retreviers, who with rare exception are pretty docile....pit bulls....where's my gun......Ken :biggrin:

Riley has never bitten me, but I did get a frowny look once when I got too close to her bike.

She mostly just herds folks away from her bike.
Becky Blosser
Russian Iron Administrator

Winchester, VA
A lonely outpost on the Eastern Front

"The answer to any question starting, 'Why don't they-' is almost always, 'Money.'" - Robert A. Heinlein

#13 kraut-60

kraut-60

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:45 PM

Being a rather recent member of the foilhead movement, I have not yet attended a rally or run...but I may. My dog is a Rottweiler-Golden labrador mix, his name is Ozzy...but he will answer to "Crummy Dog". Ozzy seems to enjoy riding in the hack (he wears a harness that is short-leashed to the spare tire), and gets LOTS of attention from other motorists (espcially the female variety). Ozzy is the runt of the litter he was born with and he weighs 90-95lbs. I would most likely forgo bringing him on a rally/run as my wife, SgtMajorMom would pull rank (and the Crummy Dog does sorta fill up the hack seat).  But I dont hesitate to take him for a day ride to the dog park.

I love dogs...but the cuteness factor is lost when the cur(s) start a bark-fest, or a bite-fest....and as Bob pointed out...the encounters with biodegradable canine by-product are usually less than pleasant. :thumbsup!:
2007 Gear-Up Desert Camo "Lotta Funn"
2009 Mustang "Bullitt" The Lieutenant
2003 Rott-ador OZZY "Crummy Dog"
1999 Ford CVPI "winter beater" the sergeant

#14 Tomcat101147

Tomcat101147

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:09 AM

State parks and most campgrounds require that dogs be kept on leashes.  For liability purposes dogs that are prone to bite should be muzzled when in close proximity to others (people and animals) the dog is not familiar with.  Unspayed females in heat should definitely be left home along with dogs known to fight other dogs.

Small or large dogs get no preference in treatment.  All should abide by the above suggestions.

Any dog found loose in my campsite (not leashed, accompanied by owner) is subject to whatever treatment required to removed from my campsite.  I've been known in the past to be quite unpleasant under those circumstances.

My last dog was trained to AKC obedience commands and was a border collie.  Notwithstanding her training she was leashed around others or when required although she was trained to heel, sit, stay, down, and come on command she was muzzled when necessary. I cleaned up after her as well.  She never caused me any grief and was my constant companion (24/7/365) for 7 years.  The only trouble I ever had was from dogs left unleashed in nearby campsites.  I belted more than one large dog good and hard including a guard trained German Shepard.  He lost the fight but other than roughed up was not injured.  His owner retrieved him from my choke hold.

I have no objections to dogs handled as I handled mine.  Others are pretty much on their own regardless of size.
Meoooowtgrrrprrrowlrround!

#15 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:55 AM

Becky; I hope you know I jest about Reily, but Reily has a record, that ...ya forget it...Reily never nips hard.... I have a Dachound, that I was going to call Kermi, but seemed  less than kind....to the dog, so I called him Dude, Betty calls him Dudy...like howdy dudey...His is a disgrace to the breed, an absolute wuss, but barks bravely....dosen't like flying, Lorne and I pass him back and forth about 4-5 feet, two feet high,....about three flights a day is his limit. Eats unsalted peanuts, catchs them in mid air, loves to chase the dot of sun light, reflected from my watch, never seem to catch on where it coming from. Likes his sleep time, has a favorite blanket, an old towel, which he will cover up with completely, very good at it, going to take a trip solo this year, Dude, a tent, camp stove, fishing rod, maybe  a road map, and "Sweet Thing", get lost for a while ...dogs are like kids, they grow on ya.....Ken :thumbsup!:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users