• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Phelonius

Phelonius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:15 PM

But If I could, I sure would enjoy it. Click on this. It will whet your taste for adventure, but it takes a couple of minutes to load.

Phelonius   http://www.metacafe....you_drive_here/

#2 Isenhelm

Isenhelm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:06 PM

Wow! some nice mountain roads, that would be cool, what a view. would have to mount a few cameras on the GU to capture those views from many angles.

there are probably some nice ones around the mountainous areas of the U.S. too.

but maybe not as crazy looking as some of these, maybe they are very old mountain pass trails that became roads...
2006 Gear Up
-Still feeling it out.

"The open road, like a blue horizon and you could see for miles"

#3 Phelonius

Phelonius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:57 PM

View PostIsenhelm, on Jan 7 2008, 01:06 PM, said:

Wow! some nice mountain roads, that would be cool, what a view. would have to mount a few cameras on the GU to capture those views from many angles.

there are probably some nice ones around the mountainous areas of the U.S. too.

but maybe not as crazy looking as some of these, maybe they are very old mountain pass trails that became roads...

You are right about the origins of these roads.
Here in the northwest, many started out as logging trails. One of my favorites started out as a mail route traveled by a postal carrier on skis. ( The old Santiam Pass between the high lavabeds behind the three sisters mountains down to Blue River in Oregon.
Another Oregon favorite is the one we called the Dead Indian Pass, (I do not know how it got the name). It conects Klamath Falls with the I-5 near Ashland Oregon.
Hwy 101 along the coast has many scenic stretches similar to the photos where it runs along cliff faces above the Pacific Ocean. 20 some years ago, I rigged a video camera to my helmet and rode my Harley along this route. The best scene was southbound up Neakani mountain, through the tunnel and along cliffs about 700 feet above the ocean.  At on of the most scenic turnouts was a low stone wall at the edge of the cliff. As I approached, I slowed and came to a stop with my front wheel touching the wall. I allowed my forward motion to lean out over the front wheel and look straight down the cliff to the water below. At this point I worked the zoom lens.
When played back in my living room, it looked as if I had ridden over the cliff and was falling to my doom. The effect it had on first time viewers was awesome. They would go rigid in their seats then lean as far back as they could. I would pause the video just before impact and pass around the whisky before going on.

Oops, mistake, not Santiam Pass. It was the old Mac Kenzie Pass. Brain fart correction.

Phelonius

#4 Wolfen

Wolfen

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:31 PM

The most dangerous roads you can find here:
Part 1:
http://www.darkroast...s-in-world.html

My favourite is the Russian Siberian Road to Yakutsk