• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Phelonius

Phelonius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:07 AM

I often Hang with the Guzzi Riders in this state and on Short notice, one of them came up with the idea to ride to Neah Bay on 1 Jan. It was to be a rain or shine ride.
If any of you know the territory, you are aware that nobody in their right mind rides to Neah Bay without rain gear. Any time of year, but 1 Jan?
Well I was feeling bored and had changed the oil the weekend before, so WTF. We tossed opinions about on the Guzzi site, and I decided to go. I checked the bike the day before and realizing that it would be new years day, I tossed in two small plastic gas cans into the hack, just because on holidays, small town gas stations are not always open. This turned out to be prophetic.
The Guzzi riders would be crossing Puget Sound on a ferry boat that left at 0835. I checked the boat schedule and had it figured that they would disembark on Bainbridge at 0915. They expected to go about 70 MPH, I expected to keep about 55. I timed it so that I would hit hwy 101 about one hour ahead of them. Figuring they would gain about 20 miles on me for every hour on the road. With my gas stop in Port Angeles, I figured they would catch me just before Neah Bay. I held my pace and was happy to do so as I watched the cops on radar ally take down two cars in front of me. Gassed upas planned and turned onto hwy 112 going west. I had never been on this particular road before and was pleasantly surprised to find it to be a perfect motorcycle road. It  was nearly all snake crossing area. That's my term for a road marked by a yellow diamond with a black wavey arrow on it. These signs indicate a road that was surveyed by a snake or someone chasing one. For 63 miles it snaked through trees, along streams and the straights of San Juan De Fuca. It was a better sidecar route than for a two wheeler due to greasy slick areas covered in red bark dust from log trucks. Elevation changes, blind curves and split level pavement made it interesting. It was a cold day but did not rain and I had a really good ride.
I would highly reccommend this route for anyone riding this part of the country in a sidecar rig. Speeds will be modest, 2nd, third, and fourth gears get a lot of use here. Scenery is terrific although the passenger will enjoy it more as the pilot will be busy. The Warm House is a good eatery when you get there. Gas is available in Joyce for sure and Neah Bay if you have a credit card for the pump. Me? I used my jerry cans just fine. This could be a good ride for the folks who come to Marrowstone Island this year.

Phelonius

#2 Iron Mike

Iron Mike

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles of all kinds! Music, Travel.

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:54 AM

Sounds like a great start to your year Phelonius.
Temporarily Dneprless

#3 Phelonius

Phelonius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:10 PM

View PostIron Mike, on Jan 2 2008, 09:54 AM, said:

Sounds like a great start to your year Phelonius.

Yeah, froze toes and all.  On the return I seemed to be using a lot more throttle to maintain 50MPH.
That's when I saw that the trees were waving vigoriously causing a powerful headwind. I hate it when they do that.

Phelonius

#4 Baxter's driver

Baxter's driver

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:2006 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100<br />2005 KLR 650<br />2004 Ural Tourist

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:57 PM

Sounds like a cool ride.
Once you go hack, you'll never go back.

------------------------------------------
2004 Ural Tourist

tapping foot waiting for Ural ST to become available

2005 KLR 650 in faster, er, dustier red color

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users