• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sprintstrider

sprintstrider

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Jesus and the Last Days, sailing, snowshoeing, sport touring, my wife!!

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:29 PM

I am praticing patience. My Ural is in Bellingham, WA at Ural NW having the engine rebuilt. I am in Tucson, AZ patiently   :thumbsup!: waiting for it to arrive by truck, sometime between now and the end of the month. I am starting to gather routes and plan for my first break-in trip for the new motor. Got any preferences?
Sprint ST Rider
2001 Triumph Sprint ST-SOLD
2005 Triumph Thruxton- SOLD
2006 Ural Patrol-Made in the land of Magog

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with me." Jesus Christ- letter to the lukewarm church-- Revelation 3:20  

Anyone ever ask themselves, "why is Jesus on the outside of the church door???"

#2 Tomcat101147

Tomcat101147

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:23 PM

You might try finding a small smooth rock and placing it in your mouth then waiting for the rock to become polished or smaller. Gradually you will learn to cease in your anxiety to have the rock change and in this way learn patience. Be carefull not to swallow the rock.

Or were you referring to routes?
Meoooowtgrrrprrrowlrround!

#3 PeteT

PeteT

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling, hobby machine work, fabrication, mechanical design and prototype work, target shooting, gunsmithing, travel, camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, avoiding housework, etc.

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:31 PM

View Postsprintstrider, on Nov 13 2007, 06:29 PM, said:

I am praticing patience. My Ural is in Bellingham, WA at Ural NW having the engine rebuilt. I am in Tucson, AZ patiently :rolleyes: waiting for it to arrive by truck, sometime between now and the end of the month. I am starting to gather routes and plan for my first break-in trip for the new motor. Got any preferences?

Most of my experience is somewhat North of where you're at, having lived in Apache Jct. for about ten years.... but if you get the chance, have a look at the area North of Rooseveldt Lake, particularly the gravel road that passes through the town of Young (State 288?). Beautiful area for Ural-ing! Take it North to where it tee's (260) and go left. It will take you to Payson. Take the Beeline Hwy (87) out of town to the North for about twenty miles where it picks up the 260 again, and there hence on to Camp Verde for some beautiful Mogollion Rim scenery. From there it's just a short jaunt to 89A, which will take you through Jerome and Cottonwood and on to Prescott. I used to ride these roads often on my old BMW years ago- they were little traveled and would make for some outstanding Ural touring! (just don't try it in the winter).

A bit closer to home, try 77 up to Globe, which by the way is a good way to get to Rooseveldt Lake in order to do the ride mentioned previously.  From Globe- try 60 to Show Low and check out the Salt River Canyon.
Pete Taggart
Las Vegas, Nv.
05 Gear Up- "Vanooshka"
80 DT175
Proud member of the
Order of the Holy Piston

#4 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:25 PM

Took the family for a ride up route 88 from apache jct to roosevelt lake, about a year ago,  my bro refused to look out the window and he's still moanin about it...real scary at times, I'd like to do it on a bike, but I am sure Betty would throw me and the bike off the cliff and walk home.....Ken :rolleyes:

#5 Vestgote

Vestgote

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:jazz, 60 & 70's rock/pop/psychadelia, filosofy, art, beer (Brittish or "Tjeckish" mostly), vintage motorcycles... that about wraps it up...

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:55 PM

The forests of Småland is quite nice. And you go and stop by in near Lönneberga where the founder of the american motorcycle brand Indian was born. They had the International Indian Rally hereabouts this summer.

The only bummer is that you´ll have to ship yourself and the bike over here and it´s already -10 degrees C here and it´s not getting warmer. The snow is nice and early though. And you´re most welcome.  :cheers:
Solo Dnepr MT9 -73 with VW 1200 engine

#6 sprintstrider

sprintstrider

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Jesus and the Last Days, sailing, snowshoeing, sport touring, my wife!!

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:01 PM

Hehehe, I will try the rock idea. I never heard that one.

Pete and Ken, I will definitely try the route to Globe. It will be winter here (which is very weird since there is no snow and it is the desert) by the time the Ural gets here. I talked to Mark at Ural NW yesterday and he said that he has the parts and he intends to start the rebuild so it will be done by the end of the weekend, knowing how much work I need on my patience, it will likely be Dec before it gets here?

The other ride sounds very nice too. My wife and I were almost going to ccept a positionin Show Low and it sounded sweet, but then we learned about the whole winter thing and mountain snow. I wouldn't have minded at all, but my wife really needed sun.

Vestgote, I have considered shipping my Ural to Hawaii next, but I am not sure that is where you are talking about. hehe :cheers:
Sprint ST Rider
2001 Triumph Sprint ST-SOLD
2005 Triumph Thruxton- SOLD
2006 Ural Patrol-Made in the land of Magog

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with me." Jesus Christ- letter to the lukewarm church-- Revelation 3:20  

Anyone ever ask themselves, "why is Jesus on the outside of the church door???"

#7 Tomcat101147

Tomcat101147

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:31 PM

View Postsprintstrider, on Nov 15 2007, 06:01 PM, said:

Hehehe, I will try the rock idea. I never heard that one.

Pete and Ken, I will definitely try the route to Globe. It will be winter here (which is very weird since there is no snow and it is the desert) by the time the Ural gets here. I talked to Mark at Ural NW yesterday and he said that he has the parts and he intends to start the rebuild so it will be done by the end of the weekend, knowing how much work I need on my patience, it will likely be Dec before it gets here?

The other ride sounds very nice too. My wife and I were almost going to ccept a positionin Show Low and it sounded sweet, but then we learned about the whole winter thing and mountain snow. I wouldn't have minded at all, but my wife really needed sun.

Vestgote, I have considered shipping my Ural to Hawaii next, but I am not sure that is where you are talking about. hehe :thumbsup!:

Rather tan shipping the Ural why not check into renting a bike when you get there?  There have been some beautiful rides posted by members on Pashnit and apparently there is plenty to see if you like scenery.  Considering that Hawaii is an island community it should be pretty easy to tour the entire islands available to tourists without resorting to unpaved back roads.  It'd make a nice vacation.  I saw in the news that the inter-island super ferry has attained approval and should start service soon. Not all of the islands are open to tourists.

There's a lot of mainland America I haven't seen yet so I've got some catching up to do here first.

#8 Tomcat101147

Tomcat101147

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:20 AM

Since this is about AZ roads are there any suggestions for scenic routes that don't include rough riding?

My rig is just covered up with shiny and is a hard pan type of rig (2001 V-Star 1100 custom with Hannigan Classic).  I'm going to be heading through AZ on my way to CA early next year or late this year and might as well see the sites as I pass through.
Highways and side roads are good but it's not a Ural.  It's definitely a highway cruiser.  Soft seats and fast rides are more my style.  High points, good rides and scenic places are good.  I'll be carrying mapping software and using GPS so ideas to help plan a route are always welcome.

Nobody (except the cat) waits for me at home so time is not of the essence.  She'll be well fed in my absence.

"Home is where the cat is." Folk saying.

#9 Baxter's driver

Baxter's driver

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:2006 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100<br />2005 KLR 650<br />2004 Ural Tourist

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:01 PM

Any road that leads out of Tucson aka the Squalid Pueblo aka Noglaes Junction is a good road, says this Tourist owner who grew up in NW Phoenix.   :thumbsup!:

The best motorcycle road in the US is US 191 between Clifton-Morenci in the south and Springerville in the north.  More than 400 curves in 125 miles, but as it includes a 9,000-foot pass I don't think it's a winter ride.

89A is fun between Oracle Junction and Apache Junction if you want a nice slice of Sonoran desert and Tom Mix wash makes for a nice rest stop.  (For the young'uns he was one of the first heroes in film Westerns and died when he crashed his Cord near the aforementioned wash circa 1940.)

Another nice loop is to go around Superior-Miami-Globe-Hayden-Winkleman (going off of memory, so may have the names out of order).
Once you go hack, you'll never go back.

------------------------------------------
2004 Ural Tourist

tapping foot waiting for Ural ST to become available

2005 KLR 650 in faster, er, dustier red color

#10 PeteT

PeteT

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling, hobby machine work, fabrication, mechanical design and prototype work, target shooting, gunsmithing, travel, camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, avoiding housework, etc.

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:18 PM

View PostBaxter's driver, on Nov 23 2007, 10:01 PM, said:

Any road that leads out of Tucson aka the Squalid Pueblo aka Noglaes Junction is a good road, says this Tourist owner who grew up in NW Phoenix. :biggrin:

The best motorcycle road in the US is US 191 between Clifton-Morenci in the south and Springerville in the north. More than 400 curves in 125 miles, but as it includes a 9,000-foot pass I don't think it's a winter ride.

89A is fun between Oracle Junction and Apache Junction if you want a nice slice of Sonoran desert and Tom Mix wash makes for a nice rest stop. (For the young'uns he was one of the first heroes in film Westerns and died when he crashed his Cord near the aforementioned wash circa 1940.)

Another nice loop is to go around Superior-Miami-Globe-Hayden-Winkleman (going off of memory, so may have the names out of order).

+1 on all the above :thumbsup!: !
Pete Taggart
Las Vegas, Nv.
05 Gear Up- "Vanooshka"
80 DT175
Proud member of the
Order of the Holy Piston

#11 PeteT

PeteT

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:42 AM

View PostKen Ulrich, on Nov 14 2007, 11:25 PM, said:

Took the family for a ride up route 88 from apache jct to roosevelt lake, about a year ago, my bro refused to look out the window and he's still moanin about it...real scary at times, I'd like to do it on a bike, but I am sure Betty would throw me and the bike off the cliff and walk home.....Ken :biggrin:

Ken!

When I first moved to the Phoenix area, I heard all sorts of horror stories about "Fish Creek Hill"- "don't look down"... "don't try it without four wheel drive", etc.   When I finally ventured out there, I couldn't belive it-  it was flat compared to the logging roads I learned to drive on as a youngster!  Plenty of room to pass on the turns.  So, what's the problem!

Your mention of Route 88 reminded me of a story- about ten years ago I got bored and decided to go for a drive in my trusty old '67 Baja for no aparent good reason.  Went up the Beeline Hwy, turned off to the East, crossed over the dam at Rooseveldt Lake and came back via Route 88.  It was the middle of summer, and about 115 degrees in the shade that afternoon.  About a mile East of the bottom of Fish Creek Hill I came upon a new Chevy Chevette parked in the middle of the road, with four people standing around looking dejected.  Unable to get past, I stopped and inquired as to the problem.  It turned out to be a family of tourists fresh from Germany... their rented Chevette had blown the gasket between the water pump and the block, and they had *ZERO* water with them, drinking or otherwise.  They spoke no English and I spoke no German, but I soon determined that mom, pop, and the two teenage kids were on their way to Globe, and it was bloody misrable since the air conditioner stopped working .  

I gave them the gallon of water I had with me, and it ran out about as fast as we could pour it in.  After a lot of gesturing I managed to convince them that it might be in their best interest to turn back to the Phoenix area, as Globe was still forty miles of rough road away and except for us there was absolutely nobody else stupid enough to be out here and at the rate they were going odds were that they would be coyote dung before the day was out.  So.... off we went.  Made it about a mile and a half before they ran out of water.  I left them there and headed for the lake (about twenty miles away), refilled the gallon jug and came back.  This relay went on all afternoon- fill it up and head out for more water.  That little squirrel-on-a-treadmill engine didn't hold much water, but at least with each trip to the lake it got shorter each time.  Along the way I managed to find an old antifreeze jug to bolster my water transporting capability which helped a lot.  

A little after dark, and having met not a single other car since three in the afternoon we made it to the last hill between Canyon Lake and Apache Junction.  And sensing civilization- they went for it!  Made it as far as the bottom of the hill before melting the engine perminently.  Went home and got the old '55 Willys pickup and towed them the rest of the way to my place- by this time they were pretty impressed with the old air cooled German VW :thumbsup!: ... and starting to realize the pickle they'd gotten themselves into.  The rental car company sent out a tow truck the next morning and hauled what was left of their car away.

Never heard from them again- but I can just imagine the stories they told about their vacation in the U.S.ofA :laugh: !
Pete Taggart
Las Vegas, Nv.
05 Gear Up- "Vanooshka"
80 DT175
Proud member of the
Order of the Holy Piston

#12 Isenhelm

Isenhelm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:02 PM

I wish I still lived in Tucson... ride up mount lemon, nice views. I doubt there are trails up top but there are recreation and camping and its just nice, snow up top desert below.

Loop around from Tucson through Patagonia to Nogales and back. head out to Chiricahua it is beautiful and open road as soon as you get off highway 10 in Wilcox.

There are some nice dirt and paved roads to take some scenic views in the desert park area on the west side of town, inside the Saguaro park west was nice (I wished I had my gear up then!!!)

just head anywhere around there and you will see something, take Old Spanish Trail (It is paved) heading East, you can stop and see Saguaro East and see some Cave too. watch out for cattle and little bunnies... among other animals, it is an open range area and I have seen a Huge Bull on the side of the raod just watching cars go by, as well as heard of people hitting a cow on their way to work in the morning.. very beautiful around there, nice sunsets
2006 Gear Up
-Still feeling it out.

"The open road, like a blue horizon and you could see for miles"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users