8 replies to this topic

#1 Tud

Tud

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:13 PM

Last Thursday I packed the bike and rode over to a friends house, we packed his bike and put the rest in the hack.  I had the hack and trunk loaded to the gills with camping equipment, tools and clothes, plus a couple bags on the back.

Packed

The route?  We were to leave the Halifax area of Nova Scotia and head to St. Stephen's, New Brunswick for Thursday night.  From there it was on to Vermont via route 9 through Maine to Bangor and then after a short run on I-95, US-2 to Burlington, Vermont.  Saturday would be spent hanging out, then Sunday it was up to Ottawa, Ontario for the night.  On Monday we would leave for Halifax, stopping for the night in Edmunston, New Brunswick.  The total kms for the trip was about 3000km, with the longest day being Ottawa to Edmunston, a total of 775km, and a new longest day personal best.

The trip wasn't without problems, more than once I used the Jerry can, and I ended up replacing the spark plug cables on the side of the road in the dark and fog with ones that I pulled off my old Triumph before I left.  The only other issue was the crank vent, it broke.

Crank vent

I put the wire tie on there to close off the air passage to the airbox after the connector for the hose broke, I ended up folding it over and clamping the hose since I couldn't get the wire tie tight enough to close off the air passage.

I believe this shot was taken in New Hampshire.  Picture

The days broke done something like this:

Day 1: 540km
Day 2: 600km
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: 400km
Day 5: 775km
Day 6: 705km

Aside from the stock spark plug cables crapping out and the crank vent breaking, the bike ran great.  There were times when the cylinder head temp gauge approached 500F on the left cylinder.  Usually when on the highway, going uphill with a headwind.  The long stretch between Montreal and Riviere du Loup was pretty straight and flat and the bike just hummed along at 65-70mph.  The best part of it was US-2 through Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont, great road and reasonable speeds for the Ural.  All in all a great but exhausting trip.

Tud

#2 kliff

kliff

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:metal fabrication

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:12 PM

:laugh:  Sounds like a great ride....memories for the future.
kliff...   O.D. = OVER DIRT...  Rattle cans, nothing matches, and it remains camo....gotta luv it!

ADVrider  and  Dixie Dual Sport  supporter.

#3 Tud

Tud

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:53 AM

View Postkliff, on Sep 26 2007, 06:12 PM, said:

:laugh:  Sounds like a great ride....memories for the future.

It was fantastic, and the gel seat cover I got from Rich was a big help.  There were times when my back got sore or I couldn't find a comfortable position for my feet, but my ass didn't complain too much.

#4 africalight

africalight

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle Tourism<br />Engineering/Manufacturing<br />Disk Golf<br />Paintball-Action Pursuit Games (Woodsball, Scenarios)<br />African news<br />Innovative products<br />Low-tech enviro friendly systems<br />Solar/Wind/Hydro<br />Research Biodiesel for Illinois Institute of Rural Affairs

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:21 AM

Sounds like a nice ride!! Did you throw anything into the hack or just stack it on top? I figure you could have lightened your buddies load by taking on his stuff too.

Ryan
2006 Patrol (Green with disappearing chrome)

#5 Tud

Tud

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:58 AM

View Postafricalight, on Sep 27 2007, 07:21 AM, said:

Sounds like a nice ride!! Did you throw anything into the hack or just stack it on top? I figure you could have lightened your buddies load by taking on his stuff too.

Ryan
I took a fair amount of their stuff in the hack.
The hack contained the following:

18" 2x4 (in case I need to pull the rear wheel off on soft ground, something to put under the center stand)
Stand (to put under the hack in case I had to pull the hack wheel)
2 tents (theirs and mine)
2 folding chairs (theirs)
Extra full face helmet (theirs)
Sneakers (mine)
Camping pillow (mine)
Extra jacket (mine)
Extra gas can (mine)

In trunk

2 air matresses and pump (theirs)
Tools and parts (mine, and I brought a lot)

On trunk

Bag of clothes (mine)
Sleeping Bag (mine)  The sleeping bag and gas can switched places for the return trip
Notebook Computer (mine)

Back rack behind rider

2 sleeping bags (theirs)

I had plenty of room to bungie stuff to on the outside of the hack, but the inside was full.  I'm going to try to travel a little lighter next time.  I brought way more clothes and riding gear than I needed and I didn't use the computer while on the road, and they never used their folding chairs and only one air matress.  I found I had to move things around while on the road.  I started out with the tools in the nose of the hack but quickly found that they needed to be more accessible.

I haven't ridden the hack since getting back, I need a replacement crank vent piece, so I've been riding my '74 CB550Four.  I forgot to put the kickstand up this morning when I left for work, it's been a while since I've had to worry about a kickstand.

Tud

#6 kliff

kliff

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:metal fabrication

Posted 27 September 2007 - 03:41 PM

View PostTud, on Sep 27 2007, 07:53 AM, said:

View Postkliff, on Sep 26 2007, 06:12 PM, said:

:thumbsup!:  Sounds like a great ride....memories for the future.

It was fantastic, and the gel seat cover I got from Rich was a big help.  There were times when my back got sore or I couldn't find a comfortable position for my feet, but my ass didn't complain too much.

I got one of Rich's covers too, bought it from Crawford's, and it IS an excellent piece. I didn't spring for the gel cover though, as I had a small sheep skin I installed between the tractor seat and Rich's cover, works for me  :laugh:
kliff...   O.D. = OVER DIRT...  Rattle cans, nothing matches, and it remains camo....gotta luv it!

ADVrider  and  Dixie Dual Sport  supporter.

#7 vanman

vanman

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:History<br />snowmobiles<br />motorcycles<br />Historical firearms

Posted 29 September 2007 - 06:30 PM

View PostTud, on Sep 26 2007, 04:13 PM, said:

Last Thursday I packed the bike and rode over to a friends house, we packed his bike and put the rest in the hack.  I had the hack and trunk loaded to the gills with camping equipment, tools and clothes, plus a couple bags on the back.

Packed

The route?  We were to leave the Halifax area of Nova Scotia and head to St. Stephen's, New Brunswick for Thursday night.  From there it was on to Vermont via route 9 through Maine to Bangor and then after a short run on I-95, US-2 to Burlington, Vermont.  Saturday would be spent hanging out, then Sunday it was up to Ottawa, Ontario for the night.  On Monday we would leave for Halifax, stopping for the night in Edmunston, New Brunswick.  The total kms for the trip was about 3000km, with the longest day being Ottawa to Edmunston, a total of 775km, and a new longest day personal best.

The trip wasn't without problems, more than once I used the Jerry can, and I ended up replacing the spark plug cables on the side of the road in the dark and fog with ones that I pulled off my old Triumph before I left.  The only other issue was the crank vent, it broke.

Crank vent

I put the wire tie on there to close off the air passage to the airbox after the connector for the hose broke, I ended up folding it over and clamping the hose since I couldn't get the wire tie tight enough to close off the air passage.

I believe this shot was taken in New Hampshire.  Picture

The days broke done something like this:

Day 1: 540km
Day 2: 600km
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: 400km
Day 5: 775km
Day 6: 705km

Aside from the stock spark plug cables crapping out and the crank vent breaking, the bike ran great.  There were times when the cylinder head temp gauge approached 500F on the left cylinder.  Usually when on the highway, going uphill with a headwind.  The long stretch between Montreal and Riviere du Loup was pretty straight and flat and the bike just hummed along at 65-70mph.  The best part of it was US-2 through Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont, great road and reasonable speeds for the Ural.  All in all a great but exhausting trip.

Tud
SWEET! :thumbsup!:
Vanman very jealous.
David  AKA Vanman
2007 Patrol
2004 XL1200R sportster
2005 Kawasaki KDX-200

Don't worry about it - ride it!
If it aint broke, don't fix it!
Hold my beer-and watch this!

#8 ridenfly

ridenfly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:riding, R/C airplanes, Flyfishing

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:51 PM

:thumbsup!:  Nice going Tud,
Good to hear stories of travels instead of holes in pistons.
04 Patrol
Goslova

#9 Tud

Tud

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 03:32 PM

View Postridenfly, on Oct 5 2007, 04:51 PM, said:

:thumbsup!:  Nice going Tud,
Good to hear stories of travels instead of holes in pistons.
Thanks.  3000kms over 6 days and aside from the stock plug cables giving me grief and the crankcase vent breaking, the bike ran great.  I got a replacement vent for $10.26 and FINALLY replaced those carbon core plug wires.

Here's some shots from today, including a nice collection of bugs on the nose of the hack and a fuzzy one of the copper core vs carbon core cables:

Pictures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users