• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 charlie23

charlie23

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, Booze and Art. Pretty much in that order.

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:07 PM

Posted Image
Alecu and Valicaddy invited me to a sidecar rally in the Carpathians: I've been riding the bike regularly but so far the longest road trip I had done was about 160k. I've had some ongoing troubles with the carbs and ignition so understandably I was a bit hesitant to take off on a 1200 kilometer ride. But the guys were persistant, I worked out most of my bugs and pulled out on the highway on the 19th.
The ride to Bucharest was uneventful, and the M72 ran smoothly at 60 - 80 km/h. I hooked up with Alecu there and a couple of days later we set off for the 160k ride up through Romania to the mountains in Transylvania.
The road and the weather were beautiful, and the bike handled the mountains fine (if a bit slow on the inclines). I was really amazed that a 54 year old machine still ran so nicely. We spent 2 days camping with an assortment of other Russian bike owners and had a great time.
The ignition troubles resurfaced when we started back to Bucharest: we had set the idle way down because of the heavy traffic in the city but the engine had inevitably overheated and I cooked another coil ( number 4 this year). The 6v ignition coils I'm using are made for a small car and they just can't handle the vibration and heat, but I had a spare so that got sorted after a few tests to find the problem.
Another 60k and the screw worked itself out of the rotor, leaving me with another head scratcher for awhile. We finally made it back to Bucharest though, and the next morning everything was running fine again for the 500k trip back to Varna.

Until I blew the head gasket 5k from home. So expect some good photos of a M72 engine rebuild coming soon...
Photos are online at http://www.goodkarma...hians/index.htm
Charlie's Vintage Kustoms
Flesh & Relics Blog (NSFW)
1953 M72
1956 Izh Planeta
1961 M61
1978 MT11
1982 Yamaha XS1100
1986 Suzuki VS750GL

#2 valicaddy

valicaddy

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:14 PM

:)

next time you will have to stay longer.
M72, FLHP

#3 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 25 September 2007 - 06:42 PM

That is a great bunch of pic', that we on this side of the pond never see, and as long as you live, you will remember the ride, the good times...now do it again next year...Ken :thumbsup!:

#4 charlie23

charlie23

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, Booze and Art. Pretty much in that order.

Posted 25 September 2007 - 11:40 PM

I'll stay longer if your bike's running   :laugh:
Will definitely be doing it again; Romania is a beautiful country, the people are friendly and almost everyone I met speaks English...a plus for a slow learner like me. Much thanks to all you guys for the hospitality!
I bought another engine off Alecu along with a bunch of spare parts and two rebuilt jugs, plus Vali came through with an original air filter and that long sought after left carb body. I'm looking around for the gaskets and a new set of rings, but should have it up on a lift this weekend.
Charlie's Vintage Kustoms
Flesh & Relics Blog (NSFW)
1953 M72
1956 Izh Planeta
1961 M61
1978 MT11
1982 Yamaha XS1100
1986 Suzuki VS750GL

#5 csbdr

csbdr

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, flyfishing, riding to flyfishing, bluegrass, playing guitar and banjo, my boy (should have put him first!), camping

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:05 AM

Terrific pics!  My son says"how long would it take us to go to Romania?" He wants to go to the rally.  hmm.....Chris
2002 Ural Tourist - "Pikop Andropov" 29,500
2003 Yamaha RoadStar
2009 Royal Enfield C5

#6 africalight

africalight

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle Tourism<br />Engineering/Manufacturing<br />Disk Golf<br />Paintball-Action Pursuit Games (Woodsball, Scenarios)<br />African news<br />Innovative products<br />Low-tech enviro friendly systems<br />Solar/Wind/Hydro<br />Research Biodiesel for Illinois Institute of Rural Affairs

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:12 AM

that looks like it was a good time. Wish I was still on that side of the pond so I could attend events like that.

Ryan
2006 Patrol (Green with disappearing chrome)

#7 valicaddy

valicaddy

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:11 AM

View Postcharlie23, on Sep 26 2007, 06:40 AM, said:

I'll stay longer if your bike's running :ohmy:
My bike is running NOW. I am using it for commuting. I am sure it will break down before the next event. :laugh: Like the good old style.
M72, FLHP

#8 vanman

vanman

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:History<br />snowmobiles<br />motorcycles<br />Historical firearms

Posted 29 September 2007 - 06:48 PM

Alecu, Charlie, Valicaddy...You guys ROCK!

Rock ON!!!

Vanman
David  AKA Vanman
2007 Patrol
2004 XL1200R sportster
2005 Kawasaki KDX-200

Don't worry about it - ride it!
If it aint broke, don't fix it!
Hold my beer-and watch this!

#9 kliff

kliff

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:metal fabrication

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:14 PM

WOW!  I'm flabbergasted....what a great ride, great pics.... if I ever win the lottery..... ride safe guys, and keep those "oldies" running.
kliff...   O.D. = OVER DIRT...  Rattle cans, nothing matches, and it remains camo....gotta luv it!

ADVrider  and  Dixie Dual Sport  supporter.

#10 Ivan Shootski

Ivan Shootski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 11:37 AM

Cool trip - nice looking girls !
Impact with high order detonation, Have a nice day!

#11 Dubliner15

Dubliner15

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, beer and babes... and flight simulators...<br><br>Books, books, dogs, beer (did I already mention beer?) beer, and the rustier things in life :)

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:13 PM

Posted Image

Hey Charlie... what did the owner of this bike have to say about how it ran?

Dub
ДЧ6

::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1990 Dnepr OHV 'Fidelma' - K750 tank, K68 carbs, five coats of black paint, lots of tinkering and some expert advice.
1991 Dnepr OHV 'Brandbilen' - work in progress - RAL 7021 make-up on an underused pig.

Dub's Dnepr

Russian bikes are not a mode of transport - they are a test of character.

It's always DneprTime

#12 valicaddy

valicaddy

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:49 PM

it works fine, enough power with the denso alternator without cuting the engine block, good point to have a reverse gear on an M72, and the intake manifold influenced by BMW R12 works without problems. Never heard of Radu, God rest his soul, having trouble with this bike on the road. as long as you want to ride long, not to care about the original too much
M72, FLHP

#13 Dubliner15

Dubliner15

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, beer and babes... and flight simulators...<br><br>Books, books, dogs, beer (did I already mention beer?) beer, and the rustier things in life :)

Posted 13 October 2007 - 04:50 AM

I'd love to see someone fabricating those intake manifolds for sale to fit the earlier Ural and Dnepr models..

I'd love to try one... just to be different...  

I thought carb icing was the big problem with the single intake system... nice to see it works well!

Dub

:beerchug:
ДЧ6

1990 Dnepr OHV 'Fidelma' - K750 tank, K68 carbs, five coats of black paint, lots of tinkering and some expert advice.
1991 Dnepr OHV 'Brandbilen' - work in progress - RAL 7021 make-up on an underused pig.

Dub's Dnepr

Russian bikes are not a mode of transport - they are a test of character.

It's always DneprTime

#14 valicaddy

valicaddy

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:15 AM

View PostDubliner15, on Oct 13 2007, 11:50 AM, said:

I thought carb icing was the big problem with the single intake system...
exactly, look at the pipes coming out of the exhaust... :beerchug:
M72, FLHP

#15 Alecu

Alecu

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 11:07 AM

It ran 80-90 km/h on the way back, at least that's what Nae boasted. It has a solo final drive. Carb icing is still a problem though, even after he modified the exhaust, and the engine starts a bit hard, in the winter it will be a problem. The 2 carbs sistem is best, the germans at BMW dropped it and settled for 2 carbs. However Zundapps remained single carb and they were better.  :beerchug:
1963  IMZ M61 rig
1992  KMZ Dnepr MT16
1992  KMZ Dnepr Md 157 Solo
1939 Victoria KR35SN/WH
1941 BMW R12
R1100RS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users