• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vanman

vanman

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:History<br />snowmobiles<br />motorcycles<br />Historical firearms

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:38 PM

Ok, so I head up for my first dual sport rally with a good buddy riding monkey and another buddy on his KLR-650. My only worry heading out, is that my buddy on the Kawasaki has never done any dirt riding.
So we get to the event Friday evening and proceed to get our route sheet and the conversation goes like this:

You want to ride the dual sport route on that?

Sure. Its all 2 tracks and logging trails...right?

Yes. But they are overgrown, washed out, off camber and there are trees down across the trail!

What the hell.. I'll give it a shot. 151 miles,no problem.

So next morning at 8:30 we hit the trail. Its muddy. Its hilly. Its sandy. Its washed out. ITS FUN!!!

We are hauling ass. Slowing down only for mud puddles. Then we realize our buddy on the Kawi isn't behind us. So we go back. He's Ok but the mud all over him tells us its wipe out #1.
Pretty soon wipe out #2 for the Kawasaki. So he has to slow way down to keep from killing himself.

So we go on ahead at a fun pace but stop at every trail change and wait to make sure he is OK.

Mean while a few other bikers see us getting up the trail fast on the Ural so at least a few will know we can do it!

But at the rate our buddy is going we will be late for lunch and have to cut off the trail only 30-40 miles into the ride. We take roads to the town hall were lunch is served.

At this time we realize that our buddy on the KLR can't possibly finish and isn't having fun. So we decide to just ride backroads the rest of the day. There is beautiful scenery in this part of Michigan.

We head back to the event site for the complementary dinner and door prizes!

Great prizes, Dan got a set of bark busters and I got a cool "Sicass" racing products sweat shirt.

A few people that had scene us on the trail commented that we were awesome but most just figured that we wouldn't finish anyway :thumbsup!:

Now we're pissed because WE COULD MAKE IT!! Our buddy on the Kawi couldn't...what the hell... we should of left him. Now we have to wait till next year to return and redeem ourselves.

Lessons learned:

1. Tell your inexperienced buddy to the easy loop! And insist on it.

2. If your inexperienced buddy follows you after your warning...leave him, You are the only Ural out there and people are watching. Haul ass and show em you can do it.

3. You don't need knobbies in Michigan. 2wd Urals are torque limited not traction limited. You will have to slip the clutch or the tires to keep the engine in the power band going up the sandy hills, I choose slipping the tires.

4. Expect to dent and scratch your Ural on these rides.

Here are some pics.
Attached File  ds_rally_059.JPG   42.62K   13 downloads
Attached File  ds_rally_026.JPG   43.13K   16 downloads
Attached File  ds_rally_057.JPG   28.49K   13 downloads
Attached File  ds_rally_029.JPG   67.54K   11 downloads
Attached File  ds_rally_027.JPG   53.91K   20 downloads
Attached File  ds_rally_062.JPG   54.04K   15 downloads
Attached File  ds_rally_036.JPG   25.18K   9 downloads
Attached File  ds_rally_046.JPG   60.2K   13 downloads

Ride On!!!!  Vanman
David  AKA Vanman
2007 Patrol
2004 XL1200R sportster
2005 Kawasaki KDX-200

Don't worry about it - ride it!
If it aint broke, don't fix it!
Hold my beer-and watch this!

#2 kliff

kliff

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:metal fabrication

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:49 PM

OUTSTANDING REPORT! And congrats Vanman.  :thumbsup!:

You done good, with only minimal prep, and no special equipment.... THAT is where it's at dude. That is Ural-ling in a nutshell.... rig, guts, and determination.
:cheers:
kliff...   O.D. = OVER DIRT...  Rattle cans, nothing matches, and it remains camo....gotta luv it!

ADVrider  and  Dixie Dual Sport  supporter.

#3 Catfish

Catfish

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles,Bullseye Shooting, Guns, Reloading,

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:52 PM

I.m glad you had a good time. The pictures were great The one with the sidecar tire in the gully wasn't encouraging.If it was me that would have required an underwear change:>)

CATFISH

#4 Clearboy

Clearboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes,Mountainbikes,air cooled VWs

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:36 PM

Looks like big fun!! I think the gulley would have done me in though!
Clearboy (John)
04 Patrol(dressed as 05)
03 FLSTCI
Rusty Jeep
Old VWs
On Patrol in sunny west Michigan.
More than I need, less than I want.

#5 vanman

vanman

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:History<br />snowmobiles<br />motorcycles<br />Historical firearms

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:04 AM

View PostClearboy, on Sep 19 2007, 10:36 PM, said:

Looks like big fun!! I think the gulley would have done me in though!
It wasn't really a gulley. Just a big wash out in the middle of the road that I tried to manuever around. The two of us pushed it up and out no problem.
David  AKA Vanman
2007 Patrol
2004 XL1200R sportster
2005 Kawasaki KDX-200

Don't worry about it - ride it!
If it aint broke, don't fix it!
Hold my beer-and watch this!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users