• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sprintstrider

sprintstrider

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Jesus and the Last Days, sailing, snowshoeing, sport touring, my wife!!

Posted 29 July 2007 - 12:25 PM

Agghhh, I just got the interrupter replaced on the bike, a huge thanks to Bill G for his site. It was wicked easy! And it definitley fixed my problem. That thing was really loose on there. But now I have a new problem, totally because I am STUPID!

My wife and I went and rented a small sailboat on Lake Union yesterday and I made a holy offering to the sea by dropping the only key I had for my Patrol through the dock slats and into about 25' of water :cheers:  :smile: I had a few choice phrases in my head let me tell you.

I hotwired it and was able to get it started thanks to a few band-aids from the first aid kit (note to self WHERE'S the DUCT TAPE?!).

It is Sunday of course and this is my only vehicle that I have to use for my work, and I just turned in the rental car I used when I was waiting for the interrupter to be shipped here via air mail -Thanks Terry Crawford). I

f I can't get a replacement key switch from the local Yamazuki dealer this afternoon:

Here's my plan, I am going to make a jumper for the lights, ignition, and what not from the back of the ignition switch to a temorary switch from the Autozone. I may call and order a replacement to be sent out, but does anyone have a different suggestion that they have done that is actually better then the Ural standard factory option?  I really would like to have a knob  that can be turned without having a key if possible that is able to be locked for security, I think I have seen that on some of the Harley bikes have?

In addition, is there any risks to frying my electrical system with my jumper idea? I think it should be fine since all of the wires are individually fused anyway yes?

Thanks for the help. I'll check back after a nice pray at church this morning. E :thumbsup!:
Sprint ST Rider
2001 Triumph Sprint ST-SOLD
2005 Triumph Thruxton- SOLD
2006 Ural Patrol-Made in the land of Magog

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with me." Jesus Christ- letter to the lukewarm church-- Revelation 3:20  

Anyone ever ask themselves, "why is Jesus on the outside of the church door???"

#2 Tomcat101147

Tomcat101147

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:05 PM

View Postsprintstrider, on Jul 29 2007, 12:25 PM, said:

I hotwired it and was able to get it started thanks to a few band-aids from the first aid kit (note to self WHERE'S the DUCT TAPE?!).

Here's my plan, I am going to make a jumper for the lights, ignition, and what not from the back of the ignition switch to a temorary switch from the Autozone. I may call and order a replacement to be sent out, but does anyone have a different suggestion that they have done that is actually better then the Ural standard factory option?  I really would like to have a knob  that can be turned without having a key if possible that is able to be locked for security, I think I have seen that on some of the Harley bikes have?

In addition, is there any risks to frying my electrical system with my jumper idea? I think it should be fine since all of the wires are individually fused anyway yes?

Thanks for the help. I'll check back after a nice pray at church this morning. E :huh2:
There's always a risk of frying something when hot wiring.  Did you try your local friendly locksmith?  Some do work at odd times like Sundays and evenings although granted they aren't cheap.

Harley hasn't used the knob for years as far as I know.  Mine was an 85 tour glide evo 2 and it used a key.
Meoooowtgrrrprrrowlrround!

#3 DaveO

DaveO

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts
  • Interests:

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:42 AM

I lost the same thing while swimming in the Gulf o' Mexico...also discovered Mike's Hard Lemonade and saltwater doesn't taste so good....what I did was jumper the ignition switch to get back to the trailer, and just used the battery cut-out under the seat to shut things down. Later I twisted the key part off the ignition switch with a pair of channelocks and used a screwdriver to turn the underlying switch. The whole new ignition switch, with 2 new keys, was about $15 when I replaced it some months later.
Dave O
CMSI '00 Patrol

#4 Sam

Sam

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:41 AM

the Harley knob things on softails and the like are a switch with a lock cylinder to lock the position of the switch. They're pretty big, you should be able to pick one up at any independent shop that handles HD aftermarket (don't bother talking with the parts guys at the HD dealership; if it isn't in the book for a current model year, they're lost). I think it will be some trouble to install, though; they mount from underneath and have a very large switchdeck. Personally, I'd give it a miss; for one thing, they can be troublesome.

The knob on dressers is pretty well integrated with the fork lock. While easy to remove the knob and lock, the switch itself is buried and I wouldn't even try to patch one onto a Ural.

I think your best bet is a normal ignition switch of the old-fashioned variety, as you're planning; the independents should have this, as should a real auto parts store.

#5 greenmachine

greenmachine

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:32 PM

What Dave_O said.  Just move yer wires on the key switch terminals so yer always hot at the switch. You can open your battery ground to kill the electrics and the kill switch will still function to shut off the engine.

You can get a shiny new key switch replacement with two keys for about 20 bucks including shipping from a dealer like Terry or Gene or others I'm sure.

Getting a key made is enough of an issue without trying to have that POC switch keyed from scratch. Ain't worth messin with JMHO.

O'course, I ain't dumb enough to lose my key so have never actually done such a deed. If yer livin right this would never have happened to you.

:-))
kermitski
Former Frog-Meister
Rode around the block a couple times
and got rid of that goofy thing...

#6 sprintstrider

sprintstrider

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Jesus and the Last Days, sailing, snowshoeing, sport touring, my wife!!

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:35 PM

View Postgreenmachine, on Jul 30 2007, 05:32 PM, said:

You can get a shiny new key switch replacement with two keys for about 20 bucks including shipping from a dealer like Terry or Gene or others I'm sure.

Getting a key made is enough of an issue without trying to have that POC switch keyed from scratch. Ain't worth messin with JMHO.

O'course, I ain't dumb enough to lose my key so have never actually done such a deed. If yer livin right this would never have happened to you.

:-))
kermitski

Oh Kermitski,

I wish I wasn't so dumb....but Jesus has a lot of work to do on me yet. I am prone to doing all the dumb stuff :flameon:

I talked to Flicka at Wag's today and they are sending me a new switch with 2 brand spanking new keys for $20. I'd say that is worth every penny.

Cool. The extra will be in the magnetic key holder so that if I lose it again I won't be stuck. I figure whats $20/year since I always lose my dang keys.
Sprint ST Rider
2001 Triumph Sprint ST-SOLD
2005 Triumph Thruxton- SOLD
2006 Ural Patrol-Made in the land of Magog

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with me." Jesus Christ- letter to the lukewarm church-- Revelation 3:20  

Anyone ever ask themselves, "why is Jesus on the outside of the church door???"

#7 Catfish

Catfish

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles,Bullseye Shooting, Guns, Reloading,

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:18 PM

Considering you seem to have the same luck as me with keys if it were me I would have given Flica a couple of bucks more and had her send a couple of extra key blanks. I know she used to stock them and getting them locally at a lock shop was usually very hard.Years ago she sent me 2 key blanks I had them cut and they have come in very handy.

CATFISH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users