My $.02 on the change of RIMC ownership FWIW...

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#31 robbie moore

robbie moore

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:34 AM

View PostChicagoRandy, on Jul 18 2007, 10:41 AM, said:

I'm really not trying to stir up a hornet's nest either regarding "copyright" issues. Nor would this be the first time I was banned from a dealer's web board - :thumbsup!: Or cordially invited NOT to shop at a couple dealers out there, you both know who you are :unsure2:  :laugh: and must know that I have since spend gobs of my money elsewhere by mutual agreement.

Had John or for that matter ANY other individual taken over ownership from Glenn and kept this website "public domain" I strongly doubt there would have been ANY comment beyond congrats and thanks to the new owner by anybody. Being now owned and operated by a 'dealer' DOES make this change 'different' and is why a few of us have not been as enthused as perhaps others are.

Potayto-Potahto.

Randy ,

Bless your heart I'm sure you didn't intend to stir things up but one has to ask why you even brought up the copyright issue in the first place. If you don't want your pictures or post to continue to on this website then why don't ask for them to be taken down.

tomato-tamatoe.
Ural Motorcycles
World Speed Record Holder
Iron Butt Rally Finisher
Newly manufactured 50 year old motorcycles
double naught patrol
RIMC #3

#32 Tud

Tud

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:51 AM

Where did I put that pot stirring stick, ah, here it is.  Can I now assume that the RMIC logo is owned by a dealer?  If so I have no real desire to wear a dealer patch, unless it's my own dealer, and even then...  If Charlie continues to make them, assuming he's still allowed to or has a desire to, will the money from those patches still go to the charity that has received the proceeds in the past?  After all, the RIMC site is now a "for profit" venture and the patches were the biggest seller.

I think I'm like most, I'll treat the site as if it hasn't changed, and I assume if everyone does that then it won't change.  It won't be until I see changes, like company banners and such, start cropping up that I'll consider moving on.  Oh, and I miss having a busty mascot.  :thumbsup!:

#33 norbvr

norbvr

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:34 AM

View PostRich Maund, on Jul 16 2007, 11:09 PM, said:

I've always had qualms about the big boobed mascot as I see these rigs as a family thing.

Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery
http://www.geocities...l?1069633040109
"Your Ass Will Thank You"
2003 Ural Retro Custom Rig "Oleysia

Your're right, Rich.  Clothed mascots wearing member gear is non-family friendly!  Why, I know your sig line brings back warm memories of family dinners at Grandmas house everytime I read it!

She'd say:  "Norbvr, quit putting so much Tobasco sauce on your food!  Your ass will thank you!"   :thumbsup!:

:unsure2:

Ride safely,

Peter

#34 emag

emag

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:Riding, astronomy, kayaking, sailing, kites

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:26 PM

I won't try to second guess Terry Crawford's motives for buying RI, but I'll second Rich Maund's opinion of Terry.  As for Svetty, she was cute but no gig lasts forever.  I've belonged to other web boards run by dealers/distributors/service centers for non-MC stuff and never had a problem.  They were lightly moderated for language and things like that.  I've got better things to get a twist in my knickers over.  As for copyright...if I was worried about it I wouldn't post it.  If you can make a buck off something I posted then go for it.  Buy me a barley pop if we meet up someday.  I've been through enough 'discussion' regarding copyright law pertaining to photography in the past....all came down to if someone liked a photo well enough to put it in a pub, all I asked was credit and a copy of the pub.  If it was one I was intending to sell, it would not be available to take.
2005 Ural Tourist
2004 Honda Aero
Born again heathen
Pensacola, Florida

#35 justgimmecoffee

justgimmecoffee

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:25 PM

Huh.... weird news.  Its interesting to know the backstory, I've been wondering whats going on. I've been busy with other things.  Like moving and trying to get my own rig running: its been down six months now.

I don't know whats going to happen to the website and until it changes there's no point in worrying about it.

As far as the person involved....
Frankly, John, You've been here a long time and  have gone from barely knowing these rigs to rebuilding your own, giving us all the sordid details of everything in between.  You're also smart, funny and you call 'em like you see 'em.   Qualities I think most of us admire and I think I can safely say we all raise our glasses to you in appreciation. I enjoy the way you write.  I like to read about your road trips or the run to Harbor Frieght for POS tool- its a great thing to read and relate too.  I fear all of that would go by the wayside if you got sucked into managing the server.

I don't know about the business side of anything, but I believe you are far more valuable to this Russian Iron community by being in your garage or on the road instead of inside some computer box somewhere.  

-Barry
'05 Tourist
& a Charmed Life

#36 kliff

kliff

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:metal fabrication

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:27 PM

Too much drama for me....
I bought, and will continue to buy rom Terry, Flicka, and Gene, cause I want to see them all succeed.

But all this BS about copyright this and that, has got me thinking about deleting ALL the pics at my little place, just to avoid the carp that's getting slung....

Terry, keep up the good work....I'll check back in a few days, maybe things will have calmed down by then.
kliff...   O.D. = OVER DIRT...  Rattle cans, nothing matches, and it remains camo....gotta luv it!

ADVrider  and  Dixie Dual Sport  supporter.

#37 Terry Crawford

Terry Crawford

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Interests:Ural dealer located in southeast Michigan

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:33 PM

View PostMr. Cob, on Jul 18 2007, 01:26 PM, said:

Howdy All,

Enough, is enough, it's time for the man to speak.

Terry, what do "you" have to say about the concerns expressed by the members of RMIC?  Plain, simple, non-legalize answers would be appreciated.  If we as members are not comfortable with what you say can we have "ALL" of our posts and photos removed from all data bases, galleries or where ever else they may be stored within the site or your personal archives deleted from our date of request back to and including our first post?

Hello Dave
It seems that you have a number of concerns about the Russian Iron web site and they concern “money” in one way or another. Please send me an e-mail with your phone number and a good time to call or you can call me. A little one on one should do some good.
Randy's request of deleting all post and pictures is being completed as I speak.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Terry
248-437-8107
Crawford Sales Co. in Michigan
Terry Crawford
Becky Blosser - Web Master
248-437-8107

Crawford Sales Company

crawfordsales@sbcglobal.net

#38 IMZman

IMZman

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:49 PM

Hey folks, hate to break it to you...but your pictures and your posts are your property...you don't have to copy right them. You are no different from any other photographer out there. If someone uses your images without your permission for profit or not...you can whack them over the head. Relax. Terry can steal your stuff...but I don't think that is going to happen. I've had folks lift pictures from my site and use them to explain problems...there are even a couple of sites linking my "service manual" site in such a way it appears to be "their" work...naughty, naughty...you know who you are. I don't have a problem with it because they are not making money...if they were to sell "subscriptions" or the like using my site...I'd kick their arse in one h*ll of a hurry.

Glenn didn't own your sh*t anymore than Terry does now...chill. Matter O' fact, take a gander at the bottom of the "Home Page" ya schmucks.

If you designed something and don't have a patent on it, and Terry beats you to it...well you're SOL there, that's different. But he does not own the images and stories you post here. But I ain't seen nothing here worth patenting....

As for Terry making a profit off the site...at some point he may want to charge a "membership fee" that's his business...but that's about the only way he'll profit from you other than plying his stock and accessories here.
Bill Glaser
2002 Patrol "CYKA"
200,000+ km's since May 2002
Click here to go to: "The Unofficial URAL 750cc Service Manual"

#39 jrproper

jrproper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:56 PM

Woooooah Folks:

Put your hands in the air and back away from your keyboards before something really good gets destroyed here.  

Seriously.

Some of you fellows are talking like lawyers and that scares me because “I’z is one” and I can personally guarantee we are heading down a dangerous road here.  It’s not necessary.  And it’s a ONE WAY road!

Those who remember the days before Russian Iron more accurately than I and can recount the CMSI/IMWA transition please speak up - as indicated by my number of postings, my interest in the Russian motorcycle while long, is not as deep as many.  But I do recall it being a pretty sketchy period.

Glenn (through personal effort and expense) provided a critical lift to our “community”.  I have had dealings with both Glenn and Terry and personally know them both to be honorable men.  

I can imagine there were a number of factors underlying Glenn’s actions.  I doubt money was an over-riding concern – we’re not talking about the kind of money people run away to the Caribbean with.

Please.  Let’s rationally voice concerns, be patient, give Terry some reasonable time to figure out what to do and how to manage BEFORE we start with the “lawyer” talk and request our posts, pictures, and etc. be removed from the site.

Honestly, I see this every day in my profession.  Don’t let it happen here.  The FOIL is a small family, and we have some crazy uncles, but the value is in the community not in the individuals.  Be patient.  Let cooler heads prevail.

John Proper
Kingwood, TX

My opinions only, your mileage may vary.  Tax, title, and license extra.  Always use approved safety equipment.

#40 clarkebd

clarkebd

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for the post John.

I think just the fact that Terry has left it up there for all to see is nice in itself.  He could have easily deleted it.

I say give the person (dealer) a chance first before getting all worried.  Time will reveal all.

This board is great, but there are many improvements that could be made to better it.  Hopefully some of those will follow.
-brian
02 Ural BC 750
98 Moto Guzzi V11 EV

#41 Peter

Peter

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:42 PM

Please do not ask for your posts to be deleted until the dust has settled.

It really is damaging the archived threads and so it affects everybody.

Chill and enjoy the fact that something you are part of all of a sudden had a price tag.

By the way, yes your stuff remains your stuff and the only copyright infraction I have
found so far is the unauthorized use of the RI logo on patches produced for the benefit
of Bulgarian orphans.
(Correct me in case I'm wrong)

Peter

#42 IVANGROZNEY

IVANGROZNEY

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:30 PM

From what was posted here the Bulgarian production of RI patches to benefit orphans was authorized. Will it still be authorized? I have a question. If RI patches were made available in the Iron Gear shop would you NOT buy them BECAUSE it is now a "for profit" site?

Those who ,like me, already have 2 full sets of Bulgarian patches should refrain from answering. I have worn my "colors" to Ural rallies and people have expressed interest in getting their own. Charlie has been sounding like he is getting tired of doing it. It would be more convienient if they were always available.  They would probably cost over twice as much and should be sold to members only.
New Jersey Ken,
94 Tourist w/750 original owner
95 Solo Dr Jeckel
Traveling Twelve 04
Vice Commissar Eastern Seaboard Division CURD

#43 IMZman

IMZman

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:03 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how you guys are making the leap to "for profit" site?
Bill Glaser
2002 Patrol "CYKA"
200,000+ km's since May 2002
Click here to go to: "The Unofficial URAL 750cc Service Manual"

#44 Mud Pie

Mud Pie

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:26 PM

View PostBill Glaser, on Jul 18 2007, 07:03 PM, said:

I'm still trying to figure out how you guys are making the leap to "for profit" site?

THAT'S what I'm trying to figure out ! :smile:

I didn't get a bill in the mail or e-mail.

Terry hardly ever posted here to begin with.  All of a sudden he's gonna become a web-nazi and take over demanding all sorts of things ???  He makes his money FROM people like us; why would he pee where he sleeps ?

I think everyone needs to pop a brew and relax.
2005 Ural Gear Up
1983 Honda C70 Passport

The early bird mat get the worm, but the worm that sleeps late doesn't get eaten

#45 vanman

vanman

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:History<br />snowmobiles<br />motorcycles<br />Historical firearms

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:32 PM

View PostBill Glaser, on Jul 18 2007, 08:03 PM, said:

I really don't care who owns this site. As far as profit goes, The owner, whoever that is should turn a profit for thier trouble. Without profit, goods and services will not be brought to market. Others profit by peddling thier wares on this site. As well they should. If there is anything that the Russian bike market needs it is more accessaries, performace and otherwise. I am willing to bet the new owner feels the way.
David  AKA Vanman
2007 Patrol
2004 XL1200R sportster
2005 Kawasaki KDX-200

Don't worry about it - ride it!
If it aint broke, don't fix it!
Hold my beer-and watch this!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users