My $.02 on the change of RIMC ownership FWIW...

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#16 Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:08 AM

A number of dealers post on here. I wonder how they feel about things.
John, why don't you start an alternative board? Done well, it would attract a lot of members and could be as valuable as this one.
Sept. 8, 2006-March 26, 2007     4997 KM

#17 mr_ural

mr_ural

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:44 AM

Curious stuff John.  

However, unless circumstances bite my ample behind, Terry Crawford is a straight shooter.  I don't know that his posts will be as colorful and interesting as yours are, but he's always taken the time to work with me on issues ... even over the phone at closing time on Saturday!  I've always received good advice, excellent service and a good dash of humor and honesty thrown in whenever I've dealt with him.

I'm on a board (I won't name it) that IS moderated pretty heavily.  It keeps down the left-of-center posters from starting a fire just to get a reaction.  I'm not fond of it, though, like this board.

You probably know the amount of time it takes to keep everything running and everyone happy ... and sometimes things just get in the way ...

I volunteered, once, to be the librarian fora national club ... because I was a new member and wanted to help.  I underestimated the amount of time it took to keep everything running, store the stuff and keep up with requests.  In the end, I couldn't fly the plane, work and be the librarian.  So, despite my best efforts, I ended up getting 'removed' from office without so much as a notice. :rant:

I guess my point is ... the information that you've shared ... and continue to share ... is really valued by all of us here.  I'd hate to see you stop.  

If the board changes too radically, I'm sure that we'll all move on.  Somehow ... knowing what I know of Terry, I don't think he's going to drive anyone away.

Hey, you didn't even pay .02 for my comments.  And they're probably worth what you paid  :beerchug:
Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best regards

Rod in Tucson

'06 Harley XL1200R - "Abby"

"How great life is if you just accept the small gifts and don't waste time on wishes."- Clinton "Bubba" Hare,  Airheads Beemer Club
"OOP ... ACK ... THHHPT" - Bill the Cat

#18 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with three wheels and motors!

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:57 AM

Aw Man! Not a single groan or comment on my "yelling movie in a crowded firehouse" joke?  :beerchug:
There's nothing worse than a wasted pun!

I actually got to do that once at a meeting of a RC airplane Club I belonged to back in the 80's. We met at a old volunteer firehouse. The President asked if there was anything anyone wanted to add before we ajourned. I stood up on my chair and yelled "MOVIE! .... MOVIE! ......MOVIE!!!" at the top of my lungs. Then I thanked him and sat down. It was like a stone silence. Everyone just staring at me like I was on drugs. Then my buddy Jerry busted out laughing and actually fell off his chair he was laughing so hard. 50 people there and only he got the joke.  He just laid there on the carpet laughing so hard he could barely breath. And he's muttering "Maund! Oh you idiot! You A--hole! I can't can't believe you did that!! Bwa ha ha ha ha.....". It was a couple minutes before he caught his breath and got up.
Lesson learned: You make a really bad pun and then you'll find out who your friends are!
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery
"Your Ass Will Thank You"
2003 Ural Retro Custom Rig "Oleysia"

#19 mr_ural

mr_ural

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:02 PM

Ahen, Rich,

Your GOOD friends won't embarass you by noticing.  Now if it was a truly BAD pun, you'd get Kudos!    :beerchug:
Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best regards

Rod in Tucson

'06 Harley XL1200R - "Abby"

"How great life is if you just accept the small gifts and don't waste time on wishes."- Clinton "Bubba" Hare,  Airheads Beemer Club
"OOP ... ACK ... THHHPT" - Bill the Cat

#20 Sam

Sam

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:10 PM

Rich, we were being polite (trying to explain the coffee on the keyboard, expelled through my nose.....)

#21 Peter

Peter

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:54 PM

I just burned the manuscript in the yard.

I was going to post it in Rant and Rave.

No more.

The title was

"Distractus Politicoreligogicus"

It was equally offensive to anyone and highly inappropriate in every sense of the word.

Well, let gone be gone.

On to the next project:

"The Paranoid Sidecarist - A Practical Manual with a Special Section on Separation Anxiety"

Sadly, it will never be published due to its content.

That makes two manuscripts you will never read.

Enough announcements in one post.

:rant: P :ninja:

Thanks for your efforts John, we'll see where this thing goes.

:party:  :beerchug:  :party:

Peter

#22 IVANGROZNEY

IVANGROZNEY

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:03 PM

This is a for profit site now? Are we supposed to pay dues? Are new members charged for jioning?
If there was an effort to keep the site independent I would have chipped in, not enough to decide the outcome, but with more members who knows. I do miss Svetty. John, you would have been the best choice to run this site. You probably spend more time here than half the members combined.  You have been replying to all of the posts anyway. That's probably why new people wanting to join contacted you. They thought it was your site.

That being said. Terry Crawford is a great guy. It's easier for me to get parts from him than my local dealer and he stands behind what he sells. He probably knows more about how Urals are made than anyone else in America. I will continue to buy from him.

Rich,.... Groan.
New Jersey Ken,
94 Tourist w/750 original owner
95 Solo Dr Jeckel
Traveling Twelve 04
Vice Commissar Eastern Seaboard Division CURD

#23 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:52 PM

HUMMMnnnn...sky is not falling yet...if it falls, will global warming be a factor...no, can't be....splashing oceans will cool everything....water...a lot of water...oh no!...... a flood...build a boat...quick...can ya work any faster...no? ..... boom one less passenger.....anyone see ya do it? no....makes no difference, the mother of all tidal waves in coming.....no electricity...no computer.....aaahhhhh..no prob...lem :unsure2: ... :thumbsup!: ...Ken

#24 robbie moore

robbie moore

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:24 AM

Randy,

The problem in your logic is proving that somehow profit was gain from the content of your "copyrighted" posts. Oh by the way How much are you paying to have your copyrighted material hosted on this site?

Has anyone that has express concern about the future of Russian Iron actually emailed and/or talked to Terry? I did talk to one of the admins yesterday and I think that this will be much ado about nothing.
Ural Motorcycles
World Speed Record Holder
Iron Butt Rally Finisher
Newly manufactured 50 year old motorcycles
double naught patrol
RIMC #3

#25 kliff

kliff

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:metal fabrication

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:43 AM

Double WOW!
kliff...   O.D. = OVER DIRT...  Rattle cans, nothing matches, and it remains camo....gotta luv it!

ADVrider  and  Dixie Dual Sport  supporter.

#26 Wooden Nickel

Wooden Nickel

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:08 AM

Hi All,
I too like to think we would have gotten the money up to buy the site if given the chance.  But then we have to realize getting this group to do anything without bashing it to death is like herding cats or maybe turtles.   If you  think I exaggerate check the global warming thread.  Possibly Glen had neither the time or patience for it.
As far as Terry's motives for buying the site, I have no idea what they are.  From what I know of Terry, I'm inclined to believe he did it because he thought it was good for the site to be run by one thick skinned individual.
Face it, if a group of us collectively had the site, it could still run into the ground.  Until he proves otherwise, I'll believe Terry bought the site for good reasons.  From my own dealings with him, I don't think pure profit is his prime motivation.  A man has to turn a profit to stay in business, but I think Terry truly enjoys these machines and most of the collection of oddballs they attract.
Stupid soapbox, a person can't walk without one getting in the way.
Nick

#27 Sam Simons

Sam Simons

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:32 AM

Interesting stuff here,fellas......I'm much less 'in touch' than most of you senior members,but nonetheless see a difference between 'us' and the 'Official Ural Site' in the fact that one is company owned,and the other dealership owned.....
I expect censureship and suckmansship over there,but not here,regardless of the owner.......

It's still very much a two way street,and will be until there are long lines of potential buyers waiting
outside Ural dealerships.....(hold yer fu$kin' breath til then..).

Sam in IN
03 GU

#28 robbie moore

robbie moore

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:00 AM

View PostChicagoRandy, on Jul 18 2007, 09:16 AM, said:

hiya Robbie,

Does any of my copyrighted material have value? Well, it does to me anyway and that should suffice.

Example, on the banner of the RIMC Forum section there is a slide show. One of the pics features my Tovarishch in Santa Sleigh garb. He asked for and I specifically gave Glenn permission to use that picture in that manner. All the 2500 plus posts I have made since day one I considered were freely offered to Glenn to use as he saw fit.

IMHO those permissions did not transfer with the sale of this website and we ALL should be offered the opportunity to opt out and remove that which we wish before we depart.

How Terry administers this his new sandbox is his business. He owes none of us any explanations nor justifications. Whether or not I or any other "elder" member chooses to continue to participate in this adventure is our business, without any need for explanations or justifications.

But using my copyrighted material without my permission IS my business, is it not? I dunno. I ain't no lawyer ner nuthin'. I'm just a mope with a couple motorcycles. :thumbsup!:

Randy,

I totally agree with you. If you want your posts and picture removed from the website you should be given the opportunity to do so. I believe that the picture gallery database was corrupted once to the point that the  only way to restore it was for the administrator to ownership of all picture thus removing the delete permissions from the poster. I am sure that if and when you request your pictures to be removed from the gallery database it can and will be done as it would only take a simple SQL select statement sort out your pictures and or posts out of the database and then delete them as each picture is stamped the the name of the original poster. All you will have to do is email one of the administrators and I'm sure your request will be processed post haste.  

The whole copyright thing really isn't for you, it's to protect the website owner from libel and slander suits from the content of your post. It removes responsibility from the website owner and places it on the creator of the post or poster of the picture.

Will hate to see you go but to each his own (copyrighted pictures and posts).
Ural Motorcycles
World Speed Record Holder
Iron Butt Rally Finisher
Newly manufactured 50 year old motorcycles
double naught patrol
RIMC #3

#29 MartyL

MartyL

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:09 AM

View PostChicagoRandy, on Jul 18 2007, 09:16 AM, said:

hiya Robbie,

Does any of my copyrighted material have value? Well, it does to me anyway and that should suffice.

Example, on the banner of the RIMC Forum section there is a slide show. One of the pics features my Tovarishch in Santa Sleigh garb. He asked for and I specifically gave Glenn permission to use that picture in that manner. All the 2500 plus posts I have made since day one I considered were freely offered to Glenn to use as he saw fit.

IMHO those permissions did not transfer with the sale of this website and we ALL should be offered the opportunity to opt out and remove that which we wish before we depart.

How Terry administers this his new sandbox is his business. He owes none of us any explanations nor justifications. Whether or not I or any other "elder" member chooses to continue to participate in this adventure is our business, without any need for explanations or justifications.

But using my copyrighted material without my permission IS my business, is it not? I dunno. I ain't no lawyer ner nuthin'. I'm just a mope with a couple motorcycles. :thumbsup!:
Randy, I understand your feelings about copyrighting and infrigement violations. But you have to consider that it is in the rights of the new owner to, "wipe the slate clean" of material that is currently on the website. That in itself would be a shame since this site has history and valuable information. I can only guess that if contributing members started requesting that their old posts and pics be deleted, it may sway the adminstrator to start fresh at least with the pics at first. It's not like the pics currently posted might be embarrassing or hurtful or members wouldn't have posted them in the first place. If someone openly posts an idea or innovation without copywrighting their material, then they are open for someone to steal and use it, copywright it, and profit from it. I'm no lawyer, but this is an area best covered by experts. If you don't want your posts fowarded to the new owner, you could request it to Terry and maybe he'll honor your wishes. But IMHO I feel that this is an area best not tread upon and has no value to the spirit of this website.  If you post it to a basically public domain, it's fair game. If you post an idea or a new "widget" then do your homework, get it copywrighted, and cover your A$$. Peace.....
Peace....God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom.
Marty
2005 Patrol Sold.
2010 Gear Up. In the Garage! Whoo!!! Hoo!!!
1976 Yamaha XS 650C

#30 Huey

Huey

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Vintage cars, motorcycles and sidecar rigs of any sort.

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:29 AM

Personally, I believe the copyright woe and sufferage thoughts are something that most folks have never actually participated in or personally dealt with when it comes to going to court, paying legal fees, and spending the time required in court and out of court to challenge possible infringement.  (The average person (Joe Schmoe) will not even have the coins to pay the retainer fee required by most legal eagles, as it is not free for sure).  It makes for a lot of feelings to be expressed on a board like this, but for all practical purposes, it is really something that most will not persue or persue with any positive results achieved by them in the long run.  It may be something that is much more of a "personal or moral issue" than a legal one that would end in any recovery.  The worry and angst of it all, is probably something that will impact few in the end results.  I believe the copyright materials do go to the new owner.  Having worked with copyrights in music in the past,  I know each (songs, written materials, and video/film) has a different set of laws governing them, and most folks have little clue as to the factual abilities to compensate for infringement claims.  Proving you lost anything that a singel photo may have given would be a real challenge to take on.  Maybe for the infamous Hindenburg movies clips, but not likely over any single picture of a Ural; loved or not.  I do suspect that the new owner would likely erase any pictures that the original owner wants specifically to be removed.  It probably only takes some communication to get that done.  However, I'd also think that direct communication would be the starting point and not necessiarily this thread for such.  

Most folks hate change.  That hatred festers and grows, even when no real change has been mentioned at all.  Thus, the concern over other dealers not being able to freely post here or things taking a rah rah rah stance as the IMZ board supposedly does (I guess I haven't seen that at their site as much as others profess).  In reality, I suspect that every single web board site related to sidecars of all makes has its click/clan/old farts/sages and gurus who don't like being challenged, questioned or giving up anything in the pecking order that may indicate change.  It is like a comfortable old shoe in that regard.  Change means giving up the comfort, and sometimes more.  I don't see this particular site as being any different in that regard.  Threatening to jump ship and run gives some security in knowing how well you may be liked, but it does little else as to making change as positive as possible.  Folks leave and folks come for any variety of reasons.  That will continue no matter what change is in store, and the newbies of today may well be the old farts of the future. Life goes on.  So will this site, I suspect.

I suppose it is like the grieving process, in that a continuing discussion can aire the feelings and so forth, but there will come a time that the thread has run its course, and life goes on, as will this site.  If it is good for you to get your daily RI fix, you will continue.  If not, then you won't.  When there is only a handfull of sidecar sites to begin with, you really only short yourself by leaving. Still, that is an individual choice for anyone to make.

Now, how about those Cowboys?  :thumbsup!:
My opinions are all vast, but, unfortunately, your's are only half-vast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users