vradin

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Scouts, guns, fishing, computers, and mo'sickles

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:30 PM

View PostJohnBG, on Feb 26 2007, 12:18 PM, said:

Here's the text of a letter I sent to IMWA on the subject.  I'll let y'all know if I get a response.
Nice job, John. I don't know when you sent it off to IMWA via E-mail, but already up in the IMZ web board is this:

Topic:               Limited Edition Raven (1 of 1),   Read 46 times   Posted Image                   Conf:               Official IMWA Notices                   From:               IMZ Web Admin   webmaster@imz-ural.com                   Date:               Monday, February 26, 2007 11:15 AM                        Attention Ural Enthusiasts:  

Many of you may have noticed the advertising that one of our dealers,  Ural NW is doing for a 2007 Raven. IMWA would like to make it clear  that Ural NW is not selling a "Raven". The Raven was a Limited Edition  bike for 2006 and will stay as such. Ural NW is selling a 2007 Patrol  that has been custom painted with a matte black finish. Ural NW has  been notified that their website and advertising is misleading and has  been given guidelines of corrective actions to take.

On behalf of the entire IMWA team and the dealer network, I apologize  for any misconception or confusion that may have been caused. IMWA is  firm on this stance and will see to it that this issue is corrected  immediately.

Thank you,

Bob Eichhorn
  Director of Operations
  Irbit Motorworks of America
On behalf of my son, who saw a real Raven at Ural Chicago during Christmas break and wants one of his own, thanks for the effort.
Vic
'05 Gear Up - "Prince Myshkin" aka Идиот

#32 Peter

Peter

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:57 PM

I've heard a rumor that all 2006 Ravens are mistakes.
You can tell by the paint job they say. It ain't raven, they say.
Hold your raven next to a Raven and you can tell right away, they say.
They are holding back the real ones, they say.

It's just a rumor but who knows...

I would recommend the raven test from what I've heard so far.
Get it notarized with three witnesses.
Hold on to it because it may be considered a misprint by the serious collector, eventually.

Peter

#33 Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:13 PM

View PostJohnBG, on Feb 26 2007, 01:06 PM, said:

View PostBlue Ridge Wheeltor, on Feb 26 2007, 09:16 AM, said:

View PostMrToadsWildRide, on Feb 26 2007, 08:59 AM, said:

They shouldnt have done it. WTF !!!!?

Here ye, here ye! from this point forward no one may paint their vehicles flat black, nor use the name "Raven", even if a disclaimer is attatched.

As I said BRW, I don't care if they paint all their rigs matte black, but lableing them as a "Raven" is misleading, decptive and IMO dishonest.

Since when did you become the lap dog and start carrying the water for UralNW? :wub:

Ural NW is my dealer. They've always done right by me. I guess if that makes me their lap dog, I do so proudly. And I guess that makes you Gene's lapdog.
Sept. 8, 2006-March 26, 2007     4997 KM

#34 Ace

Ace

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:In addition to building bikes and doing tattoos, I am an avid scale modeler. I build dioramas using the Maisto 1:18 scale model motorcycles. I only use the pre 1970 models just because thats all I like. I prefer the Harleys, but also do the Indians, and if they ever do any other vintage models I will include them. The average diorama takes me from 60 - 90 hours to complete.

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:20 PM

Ural NW fake Ravens....
They came,
John saw.
He conquered.  
They have been shown the misdeed has not gone unpunished.  
Ace

Personally I'm PO'd that they saw a picture of my bike on the forum and copied it without the dents , mud and rust and called it a RAVEN.

Attached Files

If its not black, get out the paint.
www.Dnepr-guide.com

#35 Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:21 PM

View Postvradin, on Feb 26 2007, 06:30 PM, said:

View PostJohnBG, on Feb 26 2007, 12:18 PM, said:

Here's the text of a letter I sent to IMWA on the subject.  I'll let y'all know if I get a response.
Nice job, John. I don't know when you sent it off to IMWA via E-mail, but already up in the IMZ web board is this:

Topic:               Limited Edition Raven (1 of 1),   Read 46 times   Posted Image                   Conf:               Official IMWA Notices                   From:               IMZ Web Admin   webmaster@imz-ural.com                   Date:               Monday, February 26, 2007 11:15 AM                        Attention Ural Enthusiasts:  

Many of you may have noticed the advertising that one of our dealers,  Ural NW is doing for a 2007 Raven. IMWA would like to make it clear  that Ural NW is not selling a "Raven". The Raven was a Limited Edition  bike for 2006 and will stay as such. Ural NW is selling a 2007 Patrol  that has been custom painted with a matte black finish. Ural NW has  been notified that their website and advertising is misleading and has  been given guidelines of corrective actions to take.

On behalf of the entire IMWA team and the dealer network, I apologize  for any misconception or confusion that may have been caused. IMWA is  firm on this stance and will see to it that this issue is corrected  immediately.

Thank you,

Bob Eichhorn
  Director of Operations
  Irbit Motorworks of America
On behalf of my son, who saw a real Raven at Ural Chicago during Christmas break and wants one of his own, thanks for the effort.

Hmmmm. IMWA prohibits posting of prices by the dealers.
IMWA wouldn't post prices of parts/accessories until a groundswell of complaints.
IMWA, who refuses to supply a shop manual.
IMWA, who makes changes to the brake syatem, or alternator, knowing there is a problem, but does not own up to it.
IMWA who takes a standard Patrol, paints it flat black, and calls it a Raven.
IMWA, who shows a picture of one, and supplies another.
Now, exactly who is pulling the con?

#36 TX.TIM

TX.TIM

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:28 PM

some of you guys have waaaaaay too much time on your hands.what about the important stuff like anna's baby,brittney's rehab and jack's new shaved head???!!!!
24 hours,maybe 60 good years,it's really not that long a stay-jimmy b.

#37 Mud Pie

Mud Pie

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:43 PM

I have a question:

On the registration and insurance paperwork for a Raven, does it actually SAY Raven or does it say Patrol ?

Methinks Patrol.
2005 Ural Gear Up
1983 Honda C70 Passport

The early bird mat get the worm, but the worm that sleeps late doesn't get eaten

#38 Bozola

Bozola

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Sheep.

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:43 PM

View PostTX.TIM, on Feb 26 2007, 05:28 PM, said:

some of you guys have waaaaaay too much time on your hands.what about the important stuff like anna's baby,brittney's rehab and jack's new shaved head???!!!!

What's that you say? Britney, the secret clone-father of Anna's baby, whilst backing over Anna with her IMZ approved Raven got her hair caught in the final drive and had to shave it off with the razor sharp edge of her tonneau cover?

Geez. Ural owners have more filthy secrets and soiled undergarments than Ducati prettyboys. It's all so sordid.
The views expressed are the febrile product of an overactive imagination of a person who in shadows sees the gyrating Elvis-like ghost of Leonid Brezhnev.

2007 Gear-Up "Nutkins"

#39 Mac

Mac

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Wife and kids, Camping, Motorcycle camping, canoe camping, fishing, hiking, building things. Guns, I also like to play harmonica with Blues or Bluegrass bands. War history. Collect antiques<br>I don't mind arguing over politics or religion since I don't do it at home or work.....that much.<br>And there's probably more. <br>

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:46 PM

[/quote]

Good call on the tank decals.  Those press-on sticky gas tank lables are already starting to wrinkle a bit after 3 months on my rig.  I have a set of Ural tank badges in my toolbox that I'll put on there once they start to peel and fall off.
[/quote]

John
If the stickers end up taking some of your paint off........Just get a can of Flat Black spray paint.
Hell, everybody’s doing it.  Maybe you can barrow some from UralNW  
:laugh:  :laugh:  :unsure2:

Just kidding

Mac
Mac

Before the sun goes down someone in this world will be shot. Don't let it be you.

#40 n2505d

n2505d

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:10 PM

Ace, whats up with the shocks on your leading links!!
I am hoping this is an old pic  :unsure2:
Simplicity, the ultimate sophistication
Dnepr 19** MT11 - "Belka"
IMZ/KMZ 19** M72 - "Strelka"
IMZ 19** M72 - "Project"

#41 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with three wheels and motors!

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:22 PM

This reminds me of what Guzzi did a few years back. They built a really popular limited edition and serialized V11S. They sold them out before the end of the year!

Then the dumb bastards built 300 more of them to sell, but "didn't serialize them" as if that made it OK.
Owners were up in arms. Some folks dumped their bikes and walked away from Guzzis over it. So much for it being a "limited edition". They turned a great LE bike and shat on it.

Yeah, I know this is different. This hubub wasn't caused by Ural, but by a Ural Dealer. I would say what they did was probably "legal", but it wasn't "right". Poor judgement on their part I'd say. They made not have thought it through. Probably just trying to fill a demand they saw. But to their credit, once they saw folks upset over it, they corrected the situation quickly. I've read alot of good comments about that dealer from their customers lately. I don't think one "whoops" should wipe out a bunch of "attaboys". Especially if they worked to correct the problem. Mistakes happen. It's how you correct them that shows your character.

I remember when the "Night Sentry" came out some years back. I gave Gary K an idea for the follow-up limited Edition bike. I told him to offer a black Tourist with a thermos of coffee, a pack of cigs and a 6 cell mag light and a bag of donuts and call it the "Night Watchman".  I like to think he almost went for it.  :unsure2:
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery
"Your Ass Will Thank You"
2003 Ural Retro Custom Rig "Oleysia"

#42 Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:34 PM

I am not sure if John's objection is that they used the Raven name, or that Ural NW's model came out better, but at any case IMWA once again stifled anything they consider competition. That being said, I hope this does not stop other pro active dealers from getting creative.
Wouldn't it be nice if dealers had the option of buying an unpainted base bike and have the option of personalizing it?
I could imagine Jim at Raceway buying a few, painting them OD, installing his tank shifter, a Cob styled adventure knockoff and a red star. Perhaps someone like Crawford could let the client pick his color scheme.
Ski could offer engine mods and perhaps have a series of desert tan bikes. The possibilities are endless.

#43 Yobe

Yobe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, History, Baseball (Go YANKEES!), sailing

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:38 PM

John is absolutely 100% correct. It would be very misleading for a dealer to advertise a re-painted patrol under the guise of a limited edition model that finished its production run the previous year. John spent the money and waited many months for his Raven he and other RAven owners should not have thier thunder taken from them for a quick buck from a dealer. Give em hell John!  :unsure2:
Brandon Clonch a.k.a. Yobe
06 Tourist

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
- Benjamin Franklin 1759

#44 Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:50 PM

View PostYobe, on Feb 26 2007, 11:38 PM, said:

John is absolutely 100% correct. It would be very misleading for a dealer to advertise a re-painted patrol under the guise of a limited edition model that finished its production run the previous year. John spent the money and waited many months for his Raven he and other RAven owners should not have thier thunder taken from them for a quick buck from a dealer. Give em hell John!  :unsure2:

I apologize if my comprehension skills aren't on a par with some others in here, but "to advertise a re-painted patrol under the guise of a limited edition model"... isn't that what IMWA did? And as I read the post from Ural NW, it was obvious to me this was not an actual Raven, but a knock off. There were more than 30 people who wanted a Raven, and they provided a knock off to meet that demand. As far as a "quick buck", can you imagine the work that must have gone into making this bike? Ural NW produced a bike far superior to the scam IMWA foisted upon the Raven buyers. The Raven buyers knew what they were buying (though somewhat misled by the pictures IMWA supplied), and anyone who read the Ural NW info did too. I don't anyone thought this was an actual Raven, but a very well appointed knockoff, perhaps the way it should have been.
I, for one, am proud the pro active folks at Ural NW had the foresight to meet a demand and hope other dealers in the future give us similar options.

#45 wyowillys46

wyowillys46

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Classic vehicles & Firearms collecting. The two best ways to drain your wallet.

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:09 AM

Ok. Now I'm just amazed that we're arguing over a damn name.  :unsure2:  Just enjoy the bike.
Morgan

2006 Gear-Up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users