80 replies to this topic

#16 Bozola

Bozola

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Sheep.

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:47 AM

Of course you have no real way of knowing if they used a Patrol or one on the "real" Ravens, which there there were a couple 2007 present in their yard.
The views expressed are the febrile product of an overactive imagination of a person who in shadows sees the gyrating Elvis-like ghost of Leonid Brezhnev.

2007 Gear-Up "Nutkins"

#17 Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:28 AM

EXCLUSIVELY FROM URAL NORTHWEST. WANT A 2007 RAVEN? WE WILL CUSTOM BUILD ONE FOR YOU. CALL FOR DETAILS!

Witness the New "Ural Northwest RAVEN"
Raven
This bike is based on the Patrol 2WD configuration, with a new paint scheme. It comes with black spokes, rims and hubs, rider solo saddle and rear black fender rack, black fluid canister mounted on rear left of sidecar, black tire cover, black sidecar bumper and no decals or emblems. All chromed parts as well as the exhaust and wheels have been powder coated, not just painted.
Sept. 8, 2006-March 26, 2007     4997 KM

#18 GearedUp

GearedUp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:59 AM

They shouldnt have done it. WTF !!!!?
06 Gear Up  
06 Tourist
03 Kawasaki Voyager XII

#19 Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:16 AM

View PostMrToadsWildRide, on Feb 26 2007, 08:59 AM, said:

Here ye, here ye! from this point forward no one may paint their vehicles flat black, nor use the name "Raven", even if a disclaimer is attatched.

#20 bear

bear

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:37 AM

:ohmy: I thought the Free market and Capitalism was all about looking at an opportunity and taking advantage of it.
2004 Patrol
2000 GS
1995 CR

Enjoy the ride.

#21 Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:51 AM

:ohmy:

Attached Files

#22 mr_ural

mr_ural

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:05 AM

Well, as an owner of the original all-black custom named model ... Night Sentry ... authenticated in Weav's book as well  :P  ... I think that Ural NW should have done the original first.  No worry about peeling stripes or tank decals here.  A little chrome (sorry, John) for the street ... suhweet!

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?  :wub:

Rod in Tucson
Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best regards

Rod in Tucson

'06 Harley XL1200R - "Abby"

"How great life is if you just accept the small gifts and don't waste time on wishes."- Clinton "Bubba" Hare,  Airheads Beemer Club
"OOP ... ACK ... THHHPT" - Bill the Cat

#23 Billc

Billc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:24 AM

The Randy sayeth all...eth?
Bill
05,06,07 Gear-Up
myuraling.com

"Mount your horses, workers and peasants! The Red Cavalry is the pledge of victory."

#24 Bozola

Bozola

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Sheep.

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:43 AM

View PostBillc, on Feb 26 2007, 08:24 AM, said:

The Randy sayeth all...eth?

Yep.

There's no bloody way I'd every ride an all matte black rig in the NorthWet at night in the rain. Yer guaranteed to get moved down by a sunlight starved genderless soccer parent in a flaming puce Hummer who's addicted to text-messaging latex-rubber orca bondage newssites while cranked into a petulant frenzy (thx, Frank) by a seven-shot non fat soy extrashort cappucino.

It's, suprisingly enough, a common problem up here.

Fred Gassit's take on it
The views expressed are the febrile product of an overactive imagination of a person who in shadows sees the gyrating Elvis-like ghost of Leonid Brezhnev.

2007 Gear-Up "Nutkins"

#25 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, my family, Urals & AK-47s...

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:06 PM

View PostBlue Ridge Wheeltor, on Feb 26 2007, 09:16 AM, said:

View PostMrToadsWildRide, on Feb 26 2007, 08:59 AM, said:

Here ye, here ye! from this point forward no one may paint their vehicles flat black, nor use the name "Raven", even if a disclaimer is attatched.

As I said BRW, I don't care if they paint all their rigs matte black, but lableing them as a "Raven" is misleading, decptive and IMO dishonest.

Since when did you become the lap dog and start carrying the water for UralNW? :wub:
John Grocke (a.k.a. JohnBG)
1998.5 Ural Tourist 650 - "Valentina" - The Blonde
2006 Ural Raven 750 - "Vorona" - The Brunette

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#26 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:18 PM

Here's the text of a letter I sent to IMWA on the subject.  I'll let y'all know if I get a response.

February 26, 2007

Mr. Ilya Khait, President
Irbit Motor Works of America, Inc.
15411 95th Street
Redmond, WA 98052
(sent via e-mail to ilya@imz-ural.com)

Re:          Ural Northwest marketing dealer-modified 2007 “Raven” model sidecar motorcycles

Dear Mr. Khait,

My name is John Grocke and I am a proud owner of one of the 30 limited edition 2006 Ural Raven sidecar motorcycles distributed in the USA by your company.  

In July of 2006, when I had discovered that Irbit Motor Works of America (IMWA) was importing a limited edition of 30 matte black “Raven” motorcycles, I placed a deposit with my local dealer, Holopaw Corvette, and waited four months until November, 2006 for my Raven sidecar motorcycle to arrive from Russia.  My primary reasons for purchasing this motorcycle were the unique matte black finish and that IMWA was advertising that the “Raven” was going to be a “limited edition” with only 30 Ravens to be sold in the United States, making it a truly unique motorcycle and collector’s item.  To better understand the sacrifice I made to own such a unique limited edition collectable motorcycle, I sold my Harley-Davidson Road King in order to purchase my Ural Raven.

I have been very satisfied with my Raven and enjoy riding this very unique 2006 limited edition Raven motorcycle, although I was a bit disappointed to find I was not eligible for the $500 Ural “Loyalty Rebate” (I also own a 1998 Ural Tourist) as IMWA indicated that the Raven was a “limited edition”.    

It has recently come to my attention that one of your dealers, Ural Northwest of Bellingham, WA is currently advertising and producing a 2007 “Raven” motorcycle, which in my opinion, invalidates the 2006 Raven’s “limited edition” status as pledged and advertised by IMWA.  Attached is a copy of the advertisement and specifications from the Ural Northwest dealer’s web site.  

I personally do not object if Ural Northwest or any other dealer wants to customize and/or paint a motorcycle matte black or any other color prior to customer delivery; I actually encourage them to do so.  However, advertising and marketing a dealer-modified matte black 2007 Ural Patrol sidecar motorcycle and representing it as a limited edition “Raven” motorcycle is misleading, deceptive, will cause customer confusion, and in my opinion, is a dishonest business practice.  It also devalues the uniqueness and potential collector’s value of the 30 original 2006 limited edition Ural “Raven” motorcycles.  

29 other buyers and I placed orders months in advance for the opportunity to be owners of a limited edition unique Ural Raven motorcycle, paid a premium price for them, and waited for several months to receive them.  We were sold on the promise that the “Raven” would be a limited edition for 2006 and would not be produced again.  On behalf of the class of the 2006 “limited edition” Ural Raven owners, I am asking that IMWA take appropriate action with Ural Northwest to cease marketing their 2007 custom painted Ural sidecar motorcycle as a “Raven” model.    

I look forward to your company’s prompt attention to this matter and expect the courtesy of a reply from either you or your staff.  I can be reached via e-mail at (e-mail address deleted for web) or via telephone at xxx-xxx-2321 (phone deleted for web).

Sincerely,

/s/

John B. Grocke

CC:          Madina Merzhoyeva – VP, Sales & Maketing (via e-mail to madina@imz-ural.com)

Brian Morimoto – Sales & Dealer Relations Manager (via e-mail to brianm@imz-ural.com)

Gary Kelsey – West Coast Community Development (via e-mail to gary@imz-ural.com)

Sidney Pollard – East Coast Community Development (via e-mail to sidney@imz-ural.com)

Russian Iron Motorcycle Club Web Site Forums section – www.russianiron.com

Attachments:  Ural Northwest 2007 “Raven” website advertising & specifications (in Adobe PDF  format)

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#27 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:28 PM

View PostBlue Ridge Wheeltor, on Feb 26 2007, 09:51 AM, said:

:wub:

More like...

Attached Files

#28 wyowillys46

wyowillys46

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Classic vehicles & Firearms collecting. The two best ways to drain your wallet.

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:57 PM

""saw a need"? - more like saw an opportunity to capitalize and make a few extra bucks offa the folks who didn't pony up and play the waiting game for a real limited edition Raven in '06."

Sounds more to me like pure capitalism.

So maybe someone wasn't able to get an '06 LE Raven and really wanted one? Now UralNW makes something similar (and they are marketing it as a "Ural Northwest Raven", check the main page) and draws potentially new riders into the Foil. And you cry foul? I say good on UralNW for seeing an opportunity to appease those customers (potentially new) who wanted one, and couldn't get one. And at $3K over MSRP for the Patrol it's not like they are undercutting what you guys paid for the '06 Raven. If they did that then maybe I could see a valid  argument.

Maybe kit car owners should be demonized for trying to imitate AC Cobras?

Everything we can do to draw new riders to Ural is better for us and IMZ.

EDIT. I just reread and saw that John's main gripe is that UralNW is using the name "Raven" for advertising purposes and it cheapens the 2006 Raven. The only comment to that is that AFAIK the name isn't trademarked.
Now what if IMZ were to all of a sudden introduce a 2007 Raven at the end of the year to help boost sales?  Would you be miffed at a 2007 IMZ Raven? It would certainly be different from a 2006.
Morgan

2006 Gear-Up

#29 Tud

Tud

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:45 PM

View PostJohnBG, on Feb 26 2007, 02:18 PM, said:

Here's the text of a letter I sent to IMWA on the subject.  I'll let y'all know if I get a response.
In July of 2006, when I had discovered that Irbit Motor Works of America (IMWA) was importing a limited edition of 30 matte black “Raven” motorcycles, I placed a deposit with my local dealer, Holopaw Corvette, and waited four months until November, 2006 for my Raven sidecar motorcycle to arrive from Russia.  My primary reasons for purchasing this motorcycle were the unique matte black finish and that IMWA was advertising that the “Raven” was going to be a “limited edition” with only 30 Ravens to be sold in the United States, making it a truly unique motorcycle and collector’s item.  To better understand the sacrifice I made to own such a unique limited edition collectable motorcycle, I sold my Harley-Davidson Road King in order to purchase my Ural Raven.

LOL.  Damn John, you may have sold the Harley but you kept the Harley attitude.  Next you'll be calling it an "investment".   :wub:

There were likely less than 30 '06 Gear Ups sold in Canada last year, I'd better get out there and wash it before it loses it's value.   :P

#30 clarkebd

clarkebd

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:37 PM

UralNW just needs to change the URL on their site now for this new Custom Patrol as it still says RAVEN - and then the 30 'real' Raven owners will be happy I would suppose.
-brian
02 Ural BC 750
98 Moto Guzzi V11 EV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users