• PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Sheep.

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:34 PM

View PostBlue Ridge Wheeltor, on Feb 25 2007, 10:40 AM, said:

Check this out. Nicely done...
www.uralnw.com/

It's even prettier in person.
The views expressed are the febrile product of an overactive imagination of a person who in shadows sees the gyrating Elvis-like ghost of Leonid Brezhnev.

2007 Gear-Up "Nutkins"

#3 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, my family, Urals & AK-47s...

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:47 PM

UralNW can paint all the flat black Patrols they want, but they aint "Ravens"! :mad:   Shame on UralNW for pushing this malarky of a repainted Patrol and charging $3K more than the price of the real limited edition Ravens and trying to promote them as real limited edition "Ravens".

There's only 61 real "Ravens" (30 in Europe, 30 in the US, plus the '07 mocked-up one they had for the shows).    All are sold, one is in my garage.  :wink:   Mine is a true blue jenn-you-wine real limited edition Raven, not some mocked up knock-off.

Rumor has it Holopaw Gene will get the one from the shows when they are done with it to sell in his showroom, so give him a call if you are interested.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the Ford dealer to buy some plain Mustangs and relabel them as "Shelby" Mustangs and hope I can find a few gullible suckers, er, uh, buyers like UralNW...  :ohmy:  What a bunch of hucksters, trying to relabel Patrols as LE Ravens.  Bad on them! :ohmy:
John Grocke (a.k.a. JohnBG)
1998.5 Ural Tourist 650 - "Valentina" - The Blonde
2006 Ural Raven 750 - "Vorona" - The Brunette

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#4 wyowillys46

wyowillys46

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Classic vehicles & Firearms collecting. The two best ways to drain your wallet.

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:38 PM

Honestly, it looks better than the 2006 "Limited Edition" Ravens.  :ohmy:
Morgan

2006 Gear-Up

#5 DirtyDR

DirtyDR

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:42 PM

Could have dumped that chrome gas cap.
Dana
2006 Blue soccer-mom-mobile

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

#6 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:55 PM

View PostChicagoRandy, on Feb 25 2007, 10:38 PM, said:

Two thoughts.

All the matte black stuff from Ural N/W is powder coated, not just painted. And it 'looks' as though they even matte coated all the frames.

I'm glad they didn't include a toolbox tank or you'd REALLY be P.O.'d. :ohmy:

I really don't give a rat's a$$ if they painted it or powdercoated it, or used a black sharpie marker to color it, marketing a repainted/recoated matte black Patrol and calling it the same name a limited edition "Raven" is just plain wrong, especailly when IMWA customers paid a premium price for the limited edition real "Raven" rigs.  This is coming from someone who paid a deposit for a real '06 Limited-Edition Raven and waited 4 months for it to arrive on a slow boat from Irbit.  I take umbrage with it.   :ohmy:  

As far as the toolbox tank, after getting a good look at one on another bike, I'm kinda glad I didn't get one.  The hinge is kinda flimsy, they latch is junk, it looks like it would collect water, and you get 1/2 gallon less fuel capacity.  Although I prolly would have fixed the hinge and latch and regasketed it.  I like the looks of the toolbox tank, but I'd rather have a full compliment of 5 gallons of fuel, instead of 4.5.

Excuse me now, I'm off to the Ford dealer to buy some plain F-150's and repaint them black and slap some Harley logos on them and resell them at a premium as Harley-Davidson LE F-150's. :wink:

View Postwyowillys46, on Feb 25 2007, 10:38 PM, said:

Honestly, it looks better than the 2006 "Limited Edition" Ravens. :mad:

Infidel!  :wink:

Do not upset the ebony Ural goddess (with a small "g") "Vorona" with such blasphemy!  :wink:

Off the record, for an extra $3K over the LE Raven price, it dam well look better!

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#7 Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:02 PM

First of all, they are calling them Ural NW Ravens. Much the same way Carrol Shelby took a mustang, modded it, and called it a Shelby in the early years.
Secondly, they did a very good job. If someone doesn't like the price, they don't have to buy it.
Thirdly, the Raven isn't much more than a flat black patrol anyways.
And fourthly, if the sanctity of the original Raven is so important, why are people modding it?
They saw a need, they provided it. Good for them. :ohmy:
Sept. 8, 2006-March 26, 2007     4997 KM

#8 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with three wheels and motors!

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:07 PM

Powdercoat melts at 400 degrees and oxidizes in the heat and in the sun. It's not very UV resistant. I think it's a poor choice for mufflers. Hopefully they used a better high temp bake on coating instead. Matte black Guncoat would have been a good choice.
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery
"Your Ass Will Thank You"
2003 Ural Retro Custom Rig "Oleysia"

#9 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:21 PM

View PostBlue Ridge Wheeltor, on Feb 25 2007, 11:02 PM, said:

First of all, they are calling them Ural NW Ravens. Much the same way Carrol Shelby took a mustang, modded it, and called it a Shelby in the early years.
Secondly, they did a very good job. If someone doesn't like the price, they don't have to buy it.
Thirdly, the Raven isn't much more than a flat black patrol anyways.
And fourthly, if the sanctity of the original Raven is so important, why are people modding it?
They saw a need, they provided it. Good for them. :ohmy:

In order...

Firstly - The Raven was marketed by IMWA as a limited edition.  Mustangs never were a limited edition, Shelby's were.  To continue the analogy, In essesnce what UralNW is doing is creating a knockoff of a Shelby Mustang and calling it a "UralNW Shelby" Mustang.  That would probably torque off Carroll Shelby and anybody who paid extra for an authentic "Shelby Mustang".  

If they wanted to call them UralNW "Blackbirds", I wouldn't care, but the Ural name "Raven" implies that it is either one of the 30 official US or Euro IMZ Ural Raven limited edition bikes.

Secondly - There's a sucker born every minute.  Go to any Harley showroom on any given weekend.  Some fool will pay it thinking it's a limited edition Raven.  Maybe they will also get the 4 year warranty by using the special UralNW oil too... :ohmy:

Thirdly - Yes, but IMWA created only 30 of them here in the US as a limited edition and created a lot of hype and charged a premium price for them, claiming that they would not be made nor sold again, then UralNW pulls a stunt like this.  I don't give a crap if anybody wants to paint a Patrol matte black, just don't represent it as a limited edition "Raven".  Kapeesh?  :mad:

Fourthy, I haven't really "modded" anything on mine save the air filter and carb jets, except for putting a plastic coil cover on mine as the metal one kept shorting the ignition.  Even so, if someone wanted to modify their Raven, it has no bearing whatsoever on the Raven replica/knock-off scam UralNW is trying to pull.  Sounds like something Yuri woud do. :wink:

"saw a need"? - more like saw an opportunity to capitalize and make a few extra bucks offa the folks who didn't pony up and play the waiting game for a real limited edition Raven in '06.

If you'll excuse me, I'm off to the truck stop to sell some "JohnBG Rolex" watches...  I "see a need" for folks who want Rolex watches at a discounted price....

#10 Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:36 PM

...or maybe the scam would be taking a 2006 Patrol, painting it flat black, limiting it to 30, and calling it a Raven. Or showing a picture of it one way, and delivering it another.
Just curious, what redeeming qualities does a Raven have that makes it worth more, besides the paint?
Perhaps those with maroon Tourists could call theirs Cardinals and claim exclusitivity.
If I wanted a Raven, and there being no more, I would be thankful someone came through like this. It doesn't cheapen yours at all, but provides customers with another option.
Sept. 8, 2006-March 26, 2007     4997 KM

#11 xizzy

xizzy

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:45 PM

I agree with Johnbg. One of the values of vorona was it's limited production.

Selling a "vorona-like" as a "vorona" sounds like a scam to me.
2002 - Ural Tourist
2005 - new 750 engine
6000 - total km at 20-2-07
Location - Alessandria, Italy
Quaderno dell'uralista

#12 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:52 PM

View PostBlue Ridge Wheeltor, on Feb 25 2007, 11:36 PM, said:

...or maybe the scam would be taking a 2006 Patrol, painting it flat black, limiting it to 30, and calling it a Raven. Or showing a picture of it one way, and delivering it another.

Yup that's what they did, and I paid it and waited four months for it, and then UralNW, decides to copy it and make an extra $3K for it after IMWA promised thet there would only be 30 of them.  

Just curious, what redeeming qualities does a Raven have that makes it worth more, besides the paint?

The exclusivity of it being only 1 of 30 available in the US, silly...  It's a limited edition for crying out loud! What part of "limited edition" don't you comprehend?  

Imagine if, let's just throw out as an example, the Colt firearms company was making a limited edition of 30 special commerative "Wild Bill" pistols, and 30 was it, and then one of the Colt delaers decided to copy that limited edition and sell them under the same name.  Would that be right?

Does all that make it worth more, I dunno?  I really don't care.  To me it makes the raven more special.  But to me the "Raven" is unique from all other Urlas, one of a kind (well maybe 30 of a kind) and I scraped up a deposit, sold my Harley Road King and waited an agonizing four months to be one of the lucky 30 to get one.  I wanted a genuine limited edition Raven so bad, I made the sacrifice for one and waited like a kid on Christmas Eve for four stinking months.  I got in just under the wire and Gene got the last Raven availble to the dealers.

Now any shmuck with a fat checkbook that doesn't mind paying an extra $3K can pop over to UralNW for one of their so-called falsely labeled "Raven" rigs.  It doesn't seem right.  Mkaes all of the sacrifice I made worth squat...  

Perhaps those with maroon Tourists could call theirs Cardinals and claim exclusitivity.

If IMWA marketed them that way, then that wold be the case I suppose, but they didn't.  IMWA indicated that the matte black "Raven" was a limited edition bike and only 30 of them were going to be in the US.  

If I wanted a Raven, and there being no more, I would be thankful someone came through like this. It doesn't cheapen yours at all, but provides customers with another option.

What you would be getting from UralNW is a copy of a Raven. not an actual limite edition Raven.  Marketing it as a "Raven" is misleading and in my opinion, dishonest.  If you wanted a real genuine Raven, you shoulda done like everyone else and ordered one.  BTW, I went and looked again at the UralNW page, they are not marketing it as a "UralNW Raven", just a "Raven".    IMHO, it's a freaking scam.

I will be contacting G "It's a Ural" K sometime soon to express my personal displeasure.  I'll keep holding my breath for a reply.... :ohmy:

#13 Mud Pie

Mud Pie

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:09 AM

What makes the Raven so "different" ????

It's a black Patrol, that has it's gloss black paint "washed" by a 5 year old with a Brillo Pad trying to "help" daddy wash his bike.

No added features.  At least Shelby modded the engine, drivetrain, body panels, etc.

Ural switched paint guns.  

And 30 people thought it was worth the extra $$$$.  :ohmy:

Not me.

In fact, I'd bet it's safe to say that ALL black Patrols made prior to 1999 are ALL flat black by now !!
2005 Ural Gear Up
1983 Honda C70 Passport

The early bird mat get the worm, but the worm that sleeps late doesn't get eaten

#14 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:20 AM

View PostMud Pie, on Feb 26 2007, 12:09 AM, said:

In fact, I'd bet it's safe to say that ALL black Patrols made prior to 1999 are ALL flat black by now !!

That might be true if Ural made any black Patrols prior to 1999, which to the best of my knowledge they did not...  AFAIK, 2007 was the first year of the gloss black Patrol.

Yes, I thought a matte black limited edition of 30 Patrols was worth the extra $500, only because it was a "limited edition".

FWIW, my '98 gloss black tourist is desert tan now...

#15 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:46 AM

View PostChicagoRandy, on Feb 26 2007, 12:34 AM, said:

If a dealer wants to offer custom powdercoating or special paint jobs, who cares? Surely not me.The matte black, or matte anything for that matter paint schemes appeal to a certain crowd. Anybody with some BBQ black rattle cans can make their bike look just like a "Raven" too. There's nothing functionally 'special' about it.

To be honest, I think the Ural N/W job looks closer to the "advertised" Raven than the thing that IMZ sent over by boat to the USA. Except that it doesn't have any of those god-awful (IMHO) cheapie press-a-ply labels.

Would I pay $13K for a Ural, no freakin' way. I wouldn't pay $10 K for one either. I can readily appreciate that had I thought I was buying something "limited", seeing a bunch of look-a-likes or worse, look-better-thans would make me a tad cranky too. To be fair to the marketplace and prevent any confusion, Ural N/W should remove the word RAVEN from their advertising even though it doesn't appear on the bike.

Thanks Randy...

Again, for the record, I have no problem with UralNW painting custom bikes whatever color they want, they can paint them matte black, or fruity green, or Pepto-Bismol pink for all I care.  

But, personally, as somone who went thru the hassle and wait to get an official IMWA limited edition Raven, I get a little irked that UralNW has decided to copy it and advertise it and market it as a "Raven".  It's not a Raven and they should stop calling it that.  It will cause customer confusion, and IMO, it's a tad dishonest and deceptive.  They can call it a "blackbird" or "dark horse".  Personally I think they ought to call it a "Night Train" and see how long it takes for the legal department at Harley-Davisdon to show up on their doorstep.

Good call on the tank decals.  Those press-on sticky gas tank lables are already starting to wrinkle a bit after 3 months on my rig.  I have a set of Ural tank badges in my toolbox that I'll put on there once they start to peel and fall off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users