17 replies to this topic

#1 IVANGROZNEY

IVANGROZNEY

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:34 PM

Shoe Goo just is not doing it for me. I've reattached the sole on the left boot of my German officer boots three times. It never lasts more than 7 months and always seems to give out on a long ride in hot weather after lots of shifting. Yesterday I was going to go cross county sking and found the front of one of the soles was coming loose. I washed it with alcohol, glued it with shoe goo, clamped it and left it over night. I went sking to today and the shoe goo lasted about half a mile. I should just break down and get a new pair of cross country ski boots. I can't fault the equipment. I think I bought them in 1981 and they have had many miles of use and abuse. I don't want to get rid of the German officer boots those are hard to find now.
New Jersey Ken,
94 Tourist w/750 original owner
95 Solo Dr Jeckel
Traveling Twelve 04
Vice Commissar Eastern Seaboard Division CURD

#2 PeteT

PeteT

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling, hobby machine work, fabrication, mechanical design and prototype work, target shooting, gunsmithing, travel, camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, avoiding housework, etc.

Posted 18 February 2007 - 05:13 PM

IVANGROZNEY, on Feb 18 2007, 04:34 PM, said:

Shoe Goo just is not doing it for me. I've reattached the sole on the left boot of my German officer boots three times. It never lasts more than 7 months and always seems to give out on a long ride in hot weather after lots of shifting. Yesterday I was going to go cross county sking and found the front of one of the soles was coming loose. I washed it with alcohol, glued it with shoe goo, clamped it and left it over night. I went sking to today and the shoe goo lasted about half a mile. I should just break down and get a new pair of cross country ski boots. I can't fault the equipment. I think I bought them in 1981 and they have had many miles of use and abuse. I don't want to get rid of the German officer boots those are hard to find now.

Boeing Aircraft uses an all-purpose two part epoxy base glue/sealant known as SEMKIT P/S 860 B-1/6.  It's used as a lap cement between sheet metal, fuel tank sealant, and to seal windows, etc.  It sets up to be about the same consistancy as tire rubber... only maybe a little harder.  Tough, flexable, and if used to repair a pair of 26 year old boots, I guarantee they will still be servicable long after Global Warming has reduced life on Earth to cockroaches and lawyers.  See your local A&P mechanic.
Pete Taggart
Las Vegas, Nv.
05 Gear Up- "Vanooshka"
80 DT175
Proud member of the
Order of the Holy Piston

#3 Ace

Ace

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:In addition to building bikes and doing tattoos, I am an avid scale modeler. I build dioramas using the Maisto 1:18 scale model motorcycles. I only use the pre 1970 models just because thats all I like. I prefer the Harleys, but also do the Indians, and if they ever do any other vintage models I will include them. The average diorama takes me from 60 - 90 hours to complete.

Posted 18 February 2007 - 05:16 PM

Jersey Devil Snot
Ace
If its not black, get out the paint.
www.Dnepr-guide.com

#4 IVANGROZNEY

IVANGROZNEY

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:27 PM

Ace, on Feb 18 2007, 05:16 PM, said:

Jersey Devil Snot
Ace

Naw that would burn holes in your boots. Beware the Jersy Devil MuHaHa Haa.
There is a reason that in a state as densly populated as this they still won't let them build in the pine barrens.
Why don't you come down and see for yourself? First weekend in june.
Or are ya chicken?
New Jersey Ken,
94 Tourist w/750 original owner
95 Solo Dr Jeckel
Traveling Twelve 04
Vice Commissar Eastern Seaboard Division CURD

#5 vradin

vradin

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Scouts, guns, fishing, computers, and mo'sickles

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:34 PM

IVANGROZNEY, on Feb 18 2007, 03:34 PM, said:

Shoe Goo just is not doing it for me.

If you can't find an A&P mechanic or supplier for the SEMKIT stuff Pete suggested, try this:

From my days of doing leather repairs in a previous lifetime (20 years ago or so)...  Try Barge cement, it's meant for leather. When you clean the loose disconnected bits, don't use alcohol, just a stiff brush and muscle. You're looking to add a "tooth" for the cement to grab into not just free of dust. Apply a thin coat on both sides, let dry until it's tacky, then apply a thicker coat to one side let setup a few minutes then clamp the bits together. Takes about 24 hours to fully setup.

I've had hiking boots last an extra year or three with Barge, but only a few months with the Shoe-Goo.
Vic
'05 Gear Up - "Prince Myshkin" aka Идиот

#6 Jim McDonald

Jim McDonald

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Interests:Rescuing English Bull Dogs, Motorcycles,

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:12 PM

Try Gorilla Glue , it claims it is the = Toughest Glue On Planet Earth.  can be bought at Lowes & Home Depot & probably a number of other stores.. I have found it great but Read the directions.  :wacko:  :blink: Jim.
Jim McDonald   1998 Ural B.C.  1995 H.D. Ultra Classic 2008 Honda Aero
4 English Bull Dogs & 2 Pugs& a Boston Terrier.
Same Wife for 41 years.   & 4 grown kids.

#7 Sam

Sam

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:13 PM

E-6000, I think it's called. Lowes sells it, as does Hobby Lobby, comes in a tube like toothpaste. I had an older HD Heritage Softail Classic with the usual water-damaged,wrinkled saddle bags (the leather is about like plywood on those anyway). I bought a "kit" from nosaggybags or whatever the guy's name is, consisting of a tube of that stuff and a pair of plastic inserts for the bag lids. I had to use half a dozen "C" clamps and a pair of plywood forms to get the leather to flatten enough to attach the inserts, but once it set up, it was flat and stuck for years. Toughest glue I've ever seen.

#8 Ace

Ace

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:In addition to building bikes and doing tattoos, I am an avid scale modeler. I build dioramas using the Maisto 1:18 scale model motorcycles. I only use the pre 1970 models just because thats all I like. I prefer the Harleys, but also do the Indians, and if they ever do any other vintage models I will include them. The average diorama takes me from 60 - 90 hours to complete.

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:57 AM

IVANGROZNEY, on Feb 18 2007, 06:27 PM, said:

Ace, on Feb 18 2007, 05:16 PM, said:

Jersey Devil Snot
Ace

Naw that would burn holes in your boots. Beware the Jersy Devil MuHaHa Haa.
There is a reason that in a state as densly populated as this they still won't let them build in the pine barrens.
Why don't you come down and see for yourself? First weekend in june.
Or are ya chicken?

When I lived in
Asbury and Trenton and tattooed out of Wrightstown I made a few trips to the Pine Barrens to party.  Lotsa folks wont go near the place after dark.
Ace
www.Dnepr-guide.com

#9 Peter

Peter

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:43 AM

Sam, on Feb 18 2007, 09:13 PM, said:

E-6000, I think it's called. Lowes sells it, as does Hobby Lobby, comes in a tube like toothpaste. I had an older HD Heritage Softail Classic with the usual water-damaged,wrinkled saddle bags (the leather is about like plywood on those anyway). I bought a "kit" from nosaggybags or whatever the guy's name is, consisting of a tube of that stuff and a pair of plastic inserts for the bag lids. I had to use half a dozen "C" clamps and a pair of plywood forms to get the leather to flatten enough to attach the inserts, but once it set up, it was flat and stuck for years. Toughest glue I've ever seen.

To my knowledge, Shoe-Goo is E6000 industrial adhesive in a different package. And Goop is the same too.
There are some who say that there are subtle differences and I think these subtleties would make for a nice adhesive thread. <_<

Peter

#10 Sam

Sam

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:11 PM

That's what we need; an adhesive thread! big improvement on oil threads.

#11 Ace

Ace

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 04:31 PM

An adhesive thread could get really sticky.....
Ace
www.Dnepr-guide.com

#12 PeteT

PeteT

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling, hobby machine work, fabrication, mechanical design and prototype work, target shooting, gunsmithing, travel, camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, avoiding housework, etc.

Posted 19 February 2007 - 04:48 PM

Ace, on Feb 19 2007, 04:31 PM, said:

An adhesive thread could get really sticky.....
Ace

Yeh.... but it might just bind us together <_< !
Pete Taggart
Las Vegas, Nv.
05 Gear Up- "Vanooshka"
80 DT175
Proud member of the
Order of the Holy Piston

#13 Sam

Sam

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:17 AM

If we don't get too attached to the outcome. :feelssogood:

#14 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:53 AM

Does glue suck or does it stick? THAT is the question.............maybe :feelssogood:

#15 schneider

schneider

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:27 AM

Ken, if the boots utilize a leather sole, I would recommend taking them to a cobbler with a good shoe last and hammer.  From reenacting experience I find old military boots soles dont last too long using glue only.  If the boots have a rubber sole, you may want to find a nice cobbler with an industrial size sewing machine to permanently stich the rubber onto the boot.

These fixes may cost a bit more than laying down some fancy glue, but they will last the lifetime of the boot.
Christian Schneider
1973 Dnepr MT-9

Rewired to  12v, running a modified and rebuilt MT-11 engine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users