• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,016 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, my family, Urals & AK-47s...

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:27 PM

I'm still having a weird issue with the 750 Raven.  It runs fine and idles great on startup.  However, wehn running at an extended stretch at 50mph or higher (like a long highway ride) when I come to a stop, she barely wants to idle and I have to keep slight tension on the throttle.  After a minute or two of that, it will idles OK again.  So part of me thinks maybe it might be a float height adjustment issue.

Anybody know how to check and/or adjust the float height on the CVK's? :feelssogood:
John Grocke (a.k.a. JohnBG)
1998.5 Ural Tourist 650 - "Valentina" - The Blonde
2006 Ural Raven 750 - "Vorona" - The Brunette

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#2 Unr00ster

Unr00ster

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 02:47 PM

Try this....

QUOTE/
Some problems result from improper float level setting; you may check the float chamber fluid level without removing and disassembling the carb. Park on a level surface. Connect a clear flexible hose to the dump spout on the float bowl, or connect a clear hose extension to the dump tube. Make a "U" with the tube, its transparent section held against the carburetor at its intersection with the float bowl. Open the drain screw and observe the fuel level height after it settles relative to the intersection between the carburetor body and the float bowl. The Keihin CVK32 tolerance is 0.5 mm +/- 1.0mm above the intersection. If the fuel level deviates from the specification, you're about to see what the carburetor inside looks like; adjustment involves bending the float valve tang. Don't forget to close the drain screw when finished with this check!
/QUOTE

AT...

http://en.allexperts...oblems-bike.htm

'bout 2/3 of the way down the page.  Good info here, BTW.

Good luck
02 Bavarian Classic  750
Carpe Bikem

#3 greenmachine

greenmachine

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:15 PM

I vote fer settin the valves again and then setting yer idle synch at a proper speed after the engine is warmed up completely.

just a thunk

kermitksi
Former Frog-Meister
Rode around the block a couple times
and got rid of that goofy thing...

#4 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:42 PM

View Postgreenmachine, on Feb 6 2007, 03:15 PM, said:

I vote fer settin the valves again and then setting yer idle synch at a proper speed after the engine is warmed up completely.

just a thunk

kermitksi

The valves were set under the watchful eye of Mr. Holopaw Gene and the carb synch was done by Dr. Billy Glaser and his trusty TwinMax.

Although I just picked up my own TwinMax, so maybe I can go double check.

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#5 Peter

Peter

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:06 PM

I had exactly the same problem.
It was a combination of slightly too rich and too low idle adjustment.
What threw me off at first was that I didn't realize how sensitive the adjustments are.
(Yes I did check carb balance first)
I can still tell that when coming to a stop it idles somwhat slower for a couple of moments and then settles.
It's not annoying anymore and I do not have to crack the throttle but it's definitely there.
I got close to taking the carbs apart but it really was a matter of adjustment.

I think Kermitski is right on the mark.

Peter

#6 JPanyon

JPanyon

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:10 PM

I'll wager that if you give it 500 more km's, the slow idle after a hot run will disappear.  Furthermore, it will then start showing a tendancy to want to idle too fast, and not drop revs when shifting.  Been there, done that.  You're in the final phase of the break-in process.  

Congrats

John Panyon
'02 Tourist 750

#7 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:13 PM

View PostJPanyon, on Feb 6 2007, 09:10 PM, said:

I'll wager that if you give it 500 more km's, the slow idle after a hot run will disappear. Furthermore, it will then start showing a tendancy to want to idle too fast, and not drop revs when shifting. Been there, done that. You're in the final phase of the break-in process.

Congrats

John Panyon
'02 Tourist 750

OK, I'll take your word for it and just leave it be for now.  

I have about 1700km on the rig so far.  I'll give it a tad longer before monkeying with the carbs.  But I will check the valve/rocker clearance and the carb synch with the TwinMax.

#8 edthetermite

edthetermite

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:49 AM

John BG,

Float level adjustment on CVK:  So easy a CAVEMAN CAN DO IT!!

Actually it is very straightforward. My left bowl was way full compared to my right when I did the 10K
service.

Yank the carb, turn it upside down, remove the 4 bowl screws (change them to metric allens while you're at it) and push the little keeper pin out that holds the float in place. CAREFULLY support the small metal tab that pushes the float needle and bend it upward just a little. I used a small screwdriver for the adjustment.

That's 'bout it.

Ed    (in the Ozarks)
2006 Ural Gear Up
"If you have to explain they won't understand....."

#9 clarkebd

clarkebd

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:26 AM

So if looking at the tab from this view below, you would bend the tab down (into the carb) to put less gas in the bowl?

Carb Float Exposed
-brian
02 Ural BC 750
98 Moto Guzzi V11 EV

#10 Unr00ster

Unr00ster

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:24 PM

View Postclarkebd, on Feb 9 2007, 09:26 AM, said:

So if looking at the tab from this view below, you would bend the tab down (into the carb) to put less gas in the bowl?

Carb Float Exposed

Other way 'round.  Think of it like this (with the carb in the upright and locked position).  The higher that float is in the bowl the higher you gas level will be and the reverse.

BTW, if you're having trouble with fuel level in the bowl make sure you check the needle and seat as well as the float level.
02 Bavarian Classic  750
Carpe Bikem

#11 clarkebd

clarkebd

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:16 PM

Makes sense Unr00ster.  Thanks!

It seems like a very touchy way to adjust something, by bending a little tab.
-brian
02 Ural BC 750
98 Moto Guzzi V11 EV

#12 Unr00ster

Unr00ster

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:34 PM

It is touchy!  Thats why you (at least on the CVKs) should never have to touch 'em.  They are set at the factory or when assembled and should be GTG.  

Now, its possibe (however unlikely) that IMWA could get a 'bad batch' in.  :huh2: [shudder] :blink: And you might have to adjust sumpin'.  Nawww...   :cool:  :wink:

Now, if you ever replace the float needle you will have to check the level again and maybe reset it.  Not very likely though.  If you ever have to adjust the level its a cycle of bend, assemble, and check level.  If you're off any on the level...well lather, rinse and repeat, etc.  You get the idea.   But it does pay to get it right.  A low level may contribute to fuel starvation and 'Cob'  :biggrin: your piston.  A high level will affect your idle and contribute to high fuel consumption.
02 Bavarian Classic  750
Carpe Bikem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users