100 replies to this topic

#16 VWNate1

VWNate1

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:23 AM

Ed Wrote : You need to have realistic expectations of what you're getting into.
A Ural rig is only as reliable as YOU make it....if you cannot grasp that concept then don't buy one.

Just so .

I've owned and ridden many brands over the last 36 years , I've been stuck on old /5 BMW's for many years
but once I got my Ural , that's it ~ I don;t need another bike , I ride the Ural all the time .

It's an early one , '94 Tourist and it's VERY reliable .

Opps ! gotta run shop breakfast .
-Nate
Living the good life in Southern California
'94 Tourist Solo 650
'96 Solo 650
'10 Solo sT 750
Rust
Arthritis
Memories

#17 eisenmann

eisenmann

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Interests:Rock, ride, drink, shootin' stuff, needle point.

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:51 AM

Well, gas and go is great and all but that's what your "cage" is for! I love these bikes for the nostalgia but also for what they teach me.
Life from a different generation has always been interesting to me. You can read, watch as many movies as you like but you can't really be there. For some reason I feel superior when I ride this thing. I wonder why that is? :laugh:

I learn something almost every day from this bike and this board. Which, by the way, is just an amazing resource. Talk about how spoiled we are!

I've had bikes for 15 years. motorcycle shops are not helpful to me. They typically rank right up there with Guitar Center. bunch o' bling for the people that aren't gonna buy sh** anyway. :ohmy:

I'll stop now.

Cheers and Happy Holidays! :wacko:
2006 Gear Up Camo, Rust & Poop
"Muddy Boggy"

12000km

"I hate people but I love gatherings"

"Alcoholism is the only disease you get yelled at for having" Mitch Hedberg

#18 clarkebd

clarkebd

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:21 AM

My feelings are this:   I would not buy a NEW Ural at this point.  My reason is - for me personally - they are too much money.  Nothing to do with the maintenance, reliability, etc.  Just money.  I wouldn't buy a new motorcycle of any type right now as I think they are all too expensive.  Buy Used!

The first thing that attracted me to the Ural - is it's simplicity.  Growing up, my father didn't teach me anything mechanical really.  I knew how to change the oil and that's it.

As I got older and started earning some money, I would buy parts and try to fix stuff myself (on cars first, as I was not allowed to get a motorcycle right away).

I have always enjoyed trying to fix stuff myself before I ask/pay someone else too.  I get great satisfaction from fixing something that others would go pay someone else to do.  It's part of me being cheap I guess.

So I bought a USED Ural and love tinkering with it.  But really if you spend the time when you first get a Ural to go through it, and fix/enhance the little stuff, I think the tinkering will be minimal.  

I am a bit shocked as to how much the parts prices are rising - and that is starting to turn me off a bit, but I can still afford them at  this time thank goodness.  

I am using this motorcycle to get my 3 young boys INTERESTED in mechanics and to not be afraid to take something apart to understand how it works and try to fix it.  It seems to be working, as they can't leave my tools alone anymore.  They have seen the inside of my carbs - and ask questions.  They have peered into the exhaust port of the head and seen the exhaust valve, THEY have taken off the valve covers for me.  They have seen under the rubber of the tire - the tube, the rim strip the spokes, they have seen inside the headlight bucket - the mess of wires.  My oldest son - who's just 5 - actually traced the ignition wires HIMSELF and told me the 3 colors going to the key switch.  He was right!    Just exposing them to that stuff must do something in the long run I am hoping - maybe make them less afraid of going at stuff themself.

I hope Urals continue to do well.  Sure they aren't perfect, but you know what, neither are any of us.
-brian
02 Ural BC 750
98 Moto Guzzi V11 EV

#19 greenmachine

greenmachine

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:25 AM

Some very good observations Ed !

Hang in there my friend, all will be well.

A slap to re-direct the horse back towards the straight and narrow path of righteousness is required from time to time whilst  driving any cart...... and the slap doesn't always have an immediate and satisfactory result from the perspective of the driver I'm thinkin.....

kermitski
Former Frog-Meister
Rode around the block a couple times
and got rid of that goofy thing...

#20 csbdr

csbdr

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, flyfishing, riding to flyfishing, bluegrass, playing guitar and banjo, my boy (should have put him first!), camping

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:55 AM

I don't know if I'm a "cheerleader" or not, but I wanted a Ural from the moment Isaw them.  It's my "goto" bike for commuting, and really for going anywhere. Yes I have a gas and go Yamaha cruiser, but it doesn't have the visceral draw of the Ural, or the personality, even with the occasional problems. It doesn't get ridden nearly as much. I wouldn't trade it for anything, and have said to myself recently that I couldn't imagine not having one in the garage. It requires tinkering, maintainance, and repair, but that's OK.  I'm gaining skills I never had the opportunity to learn before. The simplicity of the bike allows that and I can't and won't fault anyone for the bike not being "better." Who cares?  It's 50's tech and that's what I expect from it. If the company had kept pace, NONE of us would be her at all. Think about that. Would you have paid todays likely prices for an up to date, modern version of this bike, with no problems, computer chips controlling things, etc.? I'm guessing not, and there wouldn't even BE a RIMC. What use would this board be if it wasn't FOR the inherent nature of this marque. OK, I guess I am a cheerleader, and proud of it. CHEERS! And Happy holidays!  Chris
2002 Ural Tourist - "Pikop Andropov" 29,500
2003 Yamaha RoadStar
2009 Royal Enfield C5

#21 Davein the Huttoplex

Davein the Huttoplex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:I use to like wood working but I would rather be riding, I hit 50 a few years back and any day not riding is a wasted day.

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:29 PM

If you gentlemen and foil heads well remember who stated these "items" a Guzzi owner! Excuse me "hard to get parts break down leave you stranded limited to non exixtaning dealer network" guy but You can fix a Ural with bailing wire and a hammer can you do the same with that Guzzi? Didn't think so. :thumbsup!:
Dave C
                      My names Dave and I have a motorcycle problem!

Free is not always cheap!
                     To date I have spent over $700 on the Yeller Bike !

#22 csbdr

csbdr

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, flyfishing, riding to flyfishing, bluegrass, playing guitar and banjo, my boy (should have put him first!), camping

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:32 PM

View Postclarkebd, on Dec 22 2006, 11:21 AM, said:

My feelings are this: I would not buy a NEW Ural at this point. My reason is - for me personally - they are too much money. Nothing to do with the maintenance, reliability, etc. Just money. I wouldn't buy a new motorcycle of any type right now as I think they are all too expensive. Buy Used!

That's where I'm at. All my bike have been used.  That said, I can see where people are going. If there isn't a balance achieved between quality and pricepoint, people nowadays won't buy new bikes. With such an abysmally small market share, that could be the end.  If the prices are going to go up, then the quality will have to as well in order to interest buyers of new bikes, even if they do understand the inherent flaws, etc.  There will be a breaking point, IMHO.   chris
2002 Ural Tourist - "Pikop Andropov" 29,500
2003 Yamaha RoadStar
2009 Royal Enfield C5

#23 MartyL

MartyL

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:48 PM

When I Purchased my Patrol I knew what I was buying. I did my research. I wanted the bike. My Dealer that I purchased from was very informative. Would I buy another bike that had a sidecar and was more reliable? I can honestly say that I would have to do my research on the bike and if it thrilled me, I would consider it. That doesn't take anything away from my Patrol. I love the Ural for what it is. Would I recommend the Ural to others? Yes I would. But I would try to explain the best I could all what goes with it. It's funny, I'm on the end of my third pack of broshures from IMWA from my UDF encounters. I don't give them away like candy, only to people who really get excited about the bike. What other company can say that about their product? If I had the opportunity to volunteer at one of the Bike shows around the U.S. I would happily attend and help out. If I can help support Ural, even if it is just UDF, I will. In a way, it's like watching a garden grow. With possitive support, a little water, a little sunshine, and who knows..... maybe the Ural brand will, "bloom" in the U.S. This web site is an important part of the picture as well. The support can't be measured or put down in just words. I hope the love for these great machines keep the brand alive and keep us smiling on the road... It's good to be alive, it's great to live it on a Ural..... :beerchug:  :thumbsup!:
Peace....God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom.
Marty
2005 Patrol Sold.
2010 Gear Up. In the Garage! Whoo!!! Hoo!!!
1976 Yamaha XS 650C

#24 Berlin56

Berlin56

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:The Outdoors nature,Deerhunting canoing boating Diving Camping Airplanes,Oldcars,Motorcycle <br />Romantic evenings at the fireplace

Posted 22 December 2006 - 07:38 PM

Two months before I bought my Ural, I joined Russian Iron and I checked out bikes on Ebay. So I did my schoolwork. I bought my Ural [2003 model] as a two-year old used machine with 800 miles on it. No warranty, no dealership network, no parts. I bought it at a Winnipeg BMW dealership as an on-commission sale. From a former Russian older immigrant. I never met the older man, but bought the bike after the first time I saw it.
My reason for buying this type of bike is I am German, from Berlin, and I love BMW bikes and sidecars. I was as a kid surrounded by Russians cold-war tactics. Constant threat of war. As a kid I hated Russians. In my mind they were the cause of the Berlin wall. Now I'm driving a Russian bike, replica of a BMW, and I get parts for it online straight out of Russia, from very friendly Russian comrades. I own a few of their nice watches, a shotgun and an SKS gun.
I am also proud to wear my russian iron patches
Like the Kenora police chef told me ,after he saw my patches :it is nice to see the Germans make finally peace with the russians. I love to drive my russian Ural  :beerchug:
And thanks to all your help I can keep my Ural running :thumbsup!:

#25 buellbum

buellbum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:old bikes, new bikes, odd bikes, fast bikes, slow bikes, ugly<br>bikes, pretty bikes, anything but choppers !

Posted 23 December 2006 - 07:02 AM

Have you ever seen a brand new Harley owner ?  It takes only a couple of weeks for the miracle to occur.
First they appear as something akin to a page torn from a "Motorclothes" cataloge, then want to impress
you with their vast knoledge of the motor company, history of H.D., models, engine performance upgrades,
better maintance procedures, and the like. These clowns analyze motor oils, gear lubes,spark plugs, tires,
and anything else they can to illustrate their expertise.  They're a joke. :P                                                      

I bought my Ural for what it is. I don't expect more from it than it is. If I wanted a BMW,that's what i would
have bought. I'm loyal to my old Harley's (i own a few), and to my Ural (would like another, but the wife
says NO !) I maintain and repair all....therein lies the key. I don't abuse the Ural, have the skill to shift
without destroying the gears, and don't cry and whine about the lack of speed or parts availability.

Seems to me that the miricle occurs here too. Just laugh at it. It is really quite funny ! Those of you who
are long time Ural owners and helped create this gathering place...good on ya'. You are a valuable
resource to me and I thank you. As for the "clowns"........you serve a purpose too. I can always stand
a good laugh. :huh2:
I used to be Schizophrenic..... but we're O.K. now !!!
"You laugh because I'm different....I laugh because you're all the same"
2005 Tourist
1946 H.D. WLA
2003 V-Rod
various others (running & not)

#26 charlie23

charlie23

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, Booze and Art. Pretty much in that order.

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:12 AM

Face it....NO ONE wants this market. Russian Iron owners are the tattered, frayed edge of the lunatic fringe, the 1% of the 1%. Most motorcycle owners don't even take us seriously.

That makes me want to hit Ivan's rakia.  :P

I'm weird. I like old stuff. I'd never buy a new bike or car because they're basically just cookie cutter copies of each other.
I've had two Sportsters and more jap bikes than I can remember, but they were all just bikes. Never cried when I sold any of them, they were simply a means of getting from point a to point b in an enjoyable manner. Yeah, the Harleys had a certain "bad boy" image with them back in the day, but now that they're a status symbol for lawyers and accountants most of that is gone.
The M72 is different from anything I've ever bought. In the first place, I didn't even know what a Ural was when I decided I had to have one... I saw it in a video and spent two full years tracking it down. It took me months of digging through the internet before I could even put a name and model number on the image in my head. When I bought the rusty old barely running thing and then hauled it across the country (yes, in a blizzard) my friends didn't think I was cool, they thought I was an idiot. And a lot of these people were ex-ural owners who have now happily traded them off for jap crotch rockets.
Loyalty? I don't know. I'd love to restore a WLA to use as a solo bike. I'm sure there will be some other machines sharing the garage. But this M72 is definitely going to be "My" bike for the rest of my life. I'll never sell it and if it ever gets wrecked it will get rebuilt.
I don't think I'm "loyal" as much as I have some weird affinity for a particular machine.
Charlie's Vintage Kustoms
Flesh & Relics Blog (NSFW)
1953 M72
1956 Izh Planeta
1961 M61
1978 MT11
1982 Yamaha XS1100
1986 Suzuki VS750GL

#27 buellbum

buellbum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:old bikes, new bikes, odd bikes, fast bikes, slow bikes, ugly<br>bikes, pretty bikes, anything but choppers !

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:50 AM

Charlie.........here is my WLA, 1946. I've had this bike for almost 30 years.

Charlie.........here is my WLA, 1946. I've had this bike for almost 30 years.
2005 Tourist
1946 H.D. WLA
2003 V-Rod

#28 VWNate1

VWNate1

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:04 AM

Where ? there's no pic.

I wanted to buy a WLA way back when a brandy new one could still be purchased (made up out of N.O.S. parts) in the 70's , IIRC they were under $2,000.00 at that point .

I didn't mind riding a bit slower then any more than I do to-day but I no longer can handle the terrible vibration .
-Nate
Living the good life in Southern California
'94 Tourist Solo 650
'96 Solo 650
'10 Solo sT 750
Rust
Arthritis
Memories

#29 buellbum

buellbum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:38 AM

My apologies......I tried to post the pic but, apparantly, my skills are better suited to working with
grease and oil than electronics. I'd love to add the pics, but will need some help and guidance !
2005 Tourist
1946 H.D. WLA
2003 V-Rod

#30 AIRIC

AIRIC

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:04 AM

[quote name='JohnBG' date='Dec 16 2006, 01:32 PM' post='68753']

FWIW, I rarely visit the IMWA site. It's clunky, out-dated software-wise and hard to navigate. The content there is at times a bit of "idol worship" there. Theres been rumors that the dealership network is putting pressure on IMWA to dump the board. When that's gone, where are ya gonna go?

John, I have a harder time navigating this site!  Maybe someone can help.  My biggest two complaints are......#1 When you turn the page, it doesn't return to the top....you have to constantly drag your mouse around to navigate this site.
#2 - When viewing a thread I have two vertical slide bars that I constantly have to move up and down to read all the posts in that thread.   Is it my computer settings....or is it just the nature of the software?

The IMWA site does have too many factory BUTT kissers on there....but it does navigate very easy.[color=#FF0000][b]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users