is a Ural the right choice as your FIRST bike?

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#31 GAVNO

GAVNO

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Interests:Amateur radio (W9LBB), plus short wave listening (signals intercept & traffic analysis), dog sports (canine agility competition, and a little conformation ring), deer hunting, competitive combat pistol shooting (.45ACP, .357, .44 magnum), old movies, classical music. Add to the list astronomy, and ATM (Amateur Telescope Making).

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:26 AM

Just thought I'd let everyone know about my impending Ural purchase.

It's off.  :party:

The seller and I couldn't come to terms on a price; he is, IMHO, WAY high on it for
a used bike. Granted, it's last year's model and still has warranty left on it, but I
couldn't see eating HIS depreciation losses; he's looking for a less than 10%
discount under the price of a NEW Troyka...  especially when the sales tax I'd have to pay the state to get it titled is about 5% of the purchase price.

Even with the cost of long haul transportation eliminated I couldn't see making it
work.

So...   the Great Ural Search goes on...

GAVNO
Owner & Operator of the Mahon Loomis Memorial Short Wave Radio Monitoring Station and Irish Setter Retirement Home.
Lover of complicated radios, simple motorcycles, and friendly old dogs.
ABATE Wisconsin ____________ Patriot Guard Riders
Favorite bumper sticker: I WONDER... WOULD YOU DRIVE ANY BETTER WITH THAT CELLPHONE SHOVED UP YOUR ASS?
Spiritual Brother to Don Quixote De La Mancha...
          CONNOISEIER OF ROLLER DERBY, KILTS, AND OTHER ESOTERIC EFFLUVIA

#32 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 16 November 2005 - 04:28 PM

Hi Gavno, Ken Ulrich here, I have a couple of Urals in the shop that I am preping for resale. I am 100 mles north of you in Knowlton, ws, between Stevens Point and Wausau.  Give me a call (715) 693-6201 or off line at Machrat@aol.com...Regards...Ken

#33 greenmachine

greenmachine

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 05:09 PM

It's so good to see the cheeseheads all playing nicely together....

Watch out for that machrat guy, I think he's about one kilbasa shy of a load....

;-)

MuuHahaha...
Kermitski
Former Frog-Meister
Rode around the block a couple times
and got rid of that goofy thing...

#34 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:54 AM

Kermi, you'll be proud of me, have a 98 deco, 0 mileage 2005 750, denso, sharp. also a 2000 solo, shows 54 miles on it, never tagged. But I am keeping the sportman. and I don't drive thru mud with 'em   Ken

#35 greenmachine

greenmachine

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:48 AM

Hey Ken, why don't you do something useful and spend more time machining replacement parts for them Sporty diffs and less time with larger containers to carry oil around in.... ;-)

I'd keep the Sporty too. That  Deco with a shiny new engine should make somebody a spiffy rig.

Kermitski
Former Frog-Meister

#36 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:21 AM

Well may have someting there as, I have a eye on a clean Bridgeport milling machine. The bid closes in a couple of days. Just finnished up the final version of the Dnepr full flow oil filter, sits in the pan where itts out of sight and harms way. uses a std. ural oil filter, needs the deep pan to have room for the filter, didn't plan it that way but will only fit the deeper pan I make. Between the pan and the filter, it cures all the flaws in the original, except for smackinh the head of some doud putting putting non-detergent oil in it.....at 138.50 its good insurance for that superior gem.......Ken :thumbsup:

#37 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:25 AM

BTW, that denso putting out enough juice to light up your heated? showing 5 deg f. this morning here.....you could do some serious testing here and if it fails, there enough Barly pop shops to revive ya :wino:  :party:

#38 greenmachine

greenmachine

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 03:46 PM

Yep, I had the heated stuff turned up a tad this morning. Not quite cold enough today for a poopy suit with only a 20mph wind blowing though. The only thing I notice on the Denso is that I can't hear it cycle in and out with the heat controller like I could with the RPOC unit. I suppose that's a good thing, but one never knows....

All I know for sure is I ain't gots enough gas going through them carbs on the idle circuit in this colder air. I thought maybe I could get away with just turning out the mixtures a turn, but it's still keeping a flat spot just off idle and wants to bark and shake whilst warming up. I may have to actually install them bigger jets I bought a while back. It's been OK until it got down into the teens then started acting all lean and stuff. Who would'a thunk it? I got a pair of 45s I'll try in there I guess.

Go out to that shop and start making Sporty diff parts. Nobody needs a freakin' oil filter anyways, but new parts for a Sporty diff is something the world can actually USE. Well , maybe a dozen guys or so.... but you get my point....

Anything I can do to help market them deep sumps is only fitting and proper...
Gotta go change my non-detergent straight 50 weight.....  Sure does quiet down them front gears....

nevermind
;-)

Kermitski
Former Frog-Meister

#39 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:09 PM

I spoke to Felica a while back and she said they really hadn't any trouble with them, do you know of anything that goes south in particular? While i can machine out a lot of stuff ,gears I can not' however have a friend up in the great north woods, that all he does...let me know............. Ken

#40 greenmachine

greenmachine

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 12:12 AM

Ken,  I think it's the clutch dogs in the diff and the output shaft to the cross shaft flange. If it was just pinions or something they would be able to be replaced with standard units as far as I know anyway.
The deal is mostly when folks get to flying the chair on purpose or otherwise and hold the power on.... the hack wheel will spin up quickly. Then you drop the hack wheel and nothing good happens back there. Supposedly if you get off the power and maybe touch the back brake before letting down the hack wheel then all is well.
Flicka has a Sporty and likes it. They haven't had any troubles with it, since nobody that actually owns a shop with a live-in mechanic has any troubles.....  There are not that many of them left however, and no diffs or parts on the market.
Gene had a couple last year that he was thoughtfully hoarding, but I think those are spoken for already. We thought a guy in Poland or somewhere had a stash but they were just calling a Patrol final drive a " diff " .... too bad,so sad.....

Kermitski
Former Frog-Meister

#41 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 10:20 AM

Kind of load up on the back burner of your mind to, if you run accross some broken sporty drive parts, collect them and if there is enough left, I could use them as a pattern. In my minds eye, I think that it may not be too hard to duplicate out of the right material, heat treat it and be on your way, beats hell out of cobbing up something else, that no ones ever happy with. .....Ken

#42 GAVNO

GAVNO

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Interests:Amateur radio (W9LBB), plus short wave listening (signals intercept & traffic analysis), dog sports (canine agility competition, and a little conformation ring), deer hunting, competitive combat pistol shooting (.45ACP, .357, .44 magnum), old movies, classical music. Add to the list astronomy, and ATM (Amateur Telescope Making).

Posted 05 August 2006 - 10:00 PM

Greetings, All!!!

Happy Happy, Joy Joy...   I FINALLY bought MY Ural!!!    :D   It took long enough to locate one that didn't have to be trailered from Outer Mongolia, but if this ad is to be believed, I think I did OK. Patience pays off!

http://cgi.ebay.com/...P...TRK:MEWA:IT

In a nutshell...  a 2000 (i.e., the 650 engine, old alternator, and the drum brakes), but not even broken in yet...   LITERALLY!  400 miles showing on the clock.

They're calling is a "Ural Europa"...   can't find any reference to that model anywhere; pictures are saying to ME that it's a Retro, a Solo w/ a hack, or something on that order.

Hauling it should be a one day kinda thing; maybe 250 - 300 miles round trip dragging a U-Haul flat bed.

Now the fun part begins.  Time to start Hack School to learn how to RIDE the damned thing!   :blush:

Thanks for all the assistance and encouragement you guys gave me on this crazy project.  We'll keep ya informed on howthings go...   assuming I'm able to type while I'm still in a cast from the first accident!   :D

GAVNO
Owner & Operator of the Mahon Loomis Memorial Short Wave Radio Monitoring Station and Irish Setter Retirement Home.
Lover of complicated radios, simple motorcycles, and friendly old dogs.
ABATE Wisconsin ____________ Patriot Guard Riders
Favorite bumper sticker: I WONDER... WOULD YOU DRIVE ANY BETTER WITH THAT CELLPHONE SHOVED UP YOUR ASS?
Spiritual Brother to Don Quixote De La Mancha...
          CONNOISEIER OF ROLLER DERBY, KILTS, AND OTHER ESOTERIC EFFLUVIA

#43 greenmachine

greenmachine

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 10:54 PM

cool beans.

Have FUN and ride SAFE.

kermitski
Former Frog-Meister

#44 Ragman

Ragman

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, Machines, Photographs.

Posted 05 August 2006 - 10:57 PM

Now your troubles begin...  These things are the most addictive contraptions on earth.
2011 Gear Up
2010 TW200

Sold: 05 Patrol, Royal Enfield Bullet, HD Sportster, TW200, XT500, and many more..

#45 Leon

Leon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:01 AM

I bought a 2002 Bavarian Classic Solo on Ebay about 10 months ago.  There have been some teething problems: Carburetion jetting and faulty electrical connections, plus the Russian alternator showed early signs of failure.  Ski Jablonski of Triquest Motors in Sta. Clara, CA sorted out those gremlins, (Very important to know a good dealer/mechanic who really knows his stuff about theses bikes.  Preferably one who rides a Ural himself.  Saves a lot of time figuring out things.) and I changed the alternator to the recommended Japanese one myself.  After that, the bike  now runs like a top!  I can easily cruise at 70-75mph on the freeway with power to spare.  This machine handles well and is very stable at these speeds.

The bike has a lot of torque and almost wants to wheelie in 2nd if you let the clutch go suddenly.   Shifting gears used to be quite crunchy, but has smoothed out a lot over 2,500 miles.

I find the bench seat very comfy and can ride two hours straight with no complaints.

This being a bike based on a low-tech design from almost 70 years ago, it has its limitations:

You have to watch out from stuff loosening from the vibration.  The engine vibes do not bother me much, but I've lost an axle bolt and a side cover already.  You just have to check out the bike before each ride like a plane to make sure everything stays fast.

The suspension is adequate for most street conditions, but braking always causes the front to dive.  

The drum brakes will stop you with authority, but always with a good dose of anticipation.   They are usually very grabby when cold and tend to lock easily at slow speeds then, but stopping performance rapidly improves as they heat up.
The brake drum on my front wheel hub is not perfectly round, so there is some slight stopping uneveness I can feel when I squeeze the lever but nothing to be concerned about.

Another limit to brake performace is the Russian tire compound, which is harder and much less sticky than more modern tire rubber.  You will find the tires squealing and breaking traction earlier than on most other tires available today.

The Bavarian Classic is a model up by the former Ural US distributor CMSI, and they created that '60s BMW look partly by substituting a Chang-Jiang (Chinese BMW clone) headlight and a tailight from who knows where.  They also put on flat handlebars and bar-end mirrors to give it that cafe racer look.  The bike also has 18" wheels and a front fender that hugs the tire closely.  

The Chang Jiang speedometer in the chromed headlight bucket quickly conked out and the ignition switch/lock internals shattered early on,  so I had to change those with new CJ parts to keep the look.  The tailight lens has started to melt a bit recently, probably because the bulb has somehow moved too close to the plastic from vibration.  I may opt to change the tailight assembly with a new Ural one.

All in all these are not daunting mechanical problems.  Just normal bugs to expect from a machine like this, and easy enough to fix with basic tools.  The new bikes from IMWA are of better quality.

I've discovered that the safe enjoyment and satisfaction of motorcycling comes from mastering whatever beast you choose to ride in spite of its quirks.  It's all part of the experience.

The bike is now broken-in, and I'm having a ball riding it here in the San Francisco Bay Area.  Takes me back to memories of my father and his R69S in the Philippines back in the early '60s.  Maybe I'll bring this bike back there one day to ride the same roads he took as a young man to his favorite haunts.   Or I might get a sidecar for it one day and ride it across the States.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users