is a Ural the right choice as your FIRST bike?

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#16 GAVNO

GAVNO

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Interests:Amateur radio (W9LBB), plus short wave listening (signals intercept & traffic analysis), dog sports (canine agility competition, and a little conformation ring), deer hunting, competitive combat pistol shooting (.45ACP, .357, .44 magnum), old movies, classical music. Add to the list astronomy, and ATM (Amateur Telescope Making).

Posted 10 September 2004 - 04:00 PM

Howdy, Gerald, et. al.

Well...   currently have my EBAY sights zeroed on this one. Any opinions, or know the rig owner?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...P...TRK:MEWA:IT

GAVNO

#17 gerald

gerald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Ghosthunting, U.F.O. Research (M.U.F.O.N), Dowsing,<br>Professional Jouster and now Russian Motorcycles.<br><br>If I can just combine Medieval Jousting with Russian<br>Motorcycles as a single professional sport, I will be happy!!!

Posted 10 September 2004 - 05:05 PM

Hi Gavno:

Lost my first post so I'm retyping (it may show up again?).

The Ural I own is officially called a Northern Cruise but people in the States have never heard of it (even the official Ural Dealership)?   They seem to make the bikes to the spec's required by different country's.   Unfortunately, in Canada, this is the only Russian bike we can purchase.   No Wolf's, Retro's etc.  Even the Cruiser is going under a re-evaluation so there will be no "new" bikes into Canada until Fall 2005?   I had alot of problems with the new bike out of the crate!    The guys on the board helped out alot and the dealer came through  when he figured things out, on his end.  We are still playing.   This is a bike that is built in a country with an 80% male alcoholic rate so don't expect a Yamaha or Suziki out of the box ;)   If your a tweeker and stuff you should be fine! I've learn't more about engines in 6 months than I ever wanted too.    Remember that you are talking to enthusiasts on this site.   Other than the standard Russian tool kit I've purchased $60.00 in additional tools.   My trunk is better then my tool case ;)    Anyways the bike is alot of fun for small tours, etc.   I did 400 km in a one day tour visiting old friends on a windy day.   Your body will feel it because of the riding position.   We are not as young as we used to be!!!!!!

If you are interested in some used Dneprs and the Northern Cruiser check out Don's site www.dneprman.com.   He rebuilds all his used bike engines and guarentees his work.   My bike is worth $11,900.00 Canadian (only two in stock) but maybe he will give you a deal, if you tell him, Gerald sent you :)

Anyways,  when I build my trailer,  maybe I will see you at a rally in the States!
Or come up to Dover on May 13th, 2005.

Gerald

Attached Files

Gerald - Ontario, Canada.

2003 Ural - Northern Cruiser
"Ima Spokusnytsia"

#18 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with three wheels and motors!

Posted 10 September 2004 - 06:59 PM

GAVNO
That '98 looks like a nice rig. It has enough mileage on it to work out bugs but not so much as to wear it out. Compared to my 1995 rig, the 98's had cleaner welds and paint jobs and better chrome. They had improved internal clearancing by then too. I remember my buddy's new 98 Sportsman. It sounded really good when new. Ran right out of the crate as though break-in was half over already. I would call the owner to talk to him about it. Right now, the bidding is at a really good price for a clean 98.

BTW. I have a red Ural seat pan here if you want a custom bench seat built for it after you get it.  B)  How many of those can there be around? It's the only one I've seen that wasn't black.
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery
"Your Ass Will Thank You"
2003 Ural Retro Custom Rig "Oleysia"

#19 Bilge Keel Dave

Bilge Keel Dave

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • Interests:Beautiful Wife, Beer, Bikes, Boats, Books, British Cars.

Posted 10 September 2004 - 08:57 PM

GAVNO,

Shee-it, I'm sure you know what your handle means, very clever!

I'm new to motorcycles also. I bought my new Dnepr MT-16 from Lloyd at RAMCO in Seattle last January. I wanted a Dnepr because my lovely wife is Ukrainian and I thought it would be cool to have a vehicle from her country.  A Dnepr is a little cheaper than a Ural and they look very much alike. RAMCO is the only Dnepr importer that sells a DOT, EPA certified Dnepr. They can be registered in any state. RAMCO will ship anywhere, you have to add the cost of shipping to the price of the rig.

Dnepr parts availability is about the same as Ural, RAMCO stocks any parts you might need.

Yuri's Cleavland kit Dneprs take a lot of mechanical know how to assemble and can be difficult to register, depending on the state that you live in.

Ural has their large dealer network and a nice selection of different models. Also, if you don't care to wrench on your bike the Ural is a better option, the dealer will do it for you.

I am very pleased with my Dnepr, any problems I have had have been small and easy to fix.

Dave
RAMCO Dnepr MT-16

#20 Reverand Victor

Reverand Victor

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 10:20 PM

GAVNO,
Just my 2 cents but buy the Ural you'll never regret it. I have couple of bikes including a new BMW LT. For some reason I find myself on the Ural more and more. If I'm heading out on a big mile trip (like 2k+ miles) the LT is my first choice, otherwise I'm riding the Ural.
-- Rev. Victor
    Fortitudine Vincimus
    2004 Tourist "Rasputin"

#21 GAVNO

GAVNO

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Interests:Amateur radio (W9LBB), plus short wave listening (signals intercept & traffic analysis), dog sports (canine agility competition, and a little conformation ring), deer hunting, competitive combat pistol shooting (.45ACP, .357, .44 magnum), old movies, classical music. Add to the list astronomy, and ATM (Amateur Telescope Making).

Posted 11 September 2004 - 01:50 PM

Bilge Keel Dave, on Sep 10 2004, 08:57 PM, said:

GAVNO,

Shee-it, I'm sure you know what your handle means, very clever!

I'm new to motorcycles also. I bought my new Dnepr MT-16 from Lloyd at RAMCO in Seattle last January. I wanted a Dnepr because my lovely wife is Ukrainian and I thought it would be cool to have a vehicle from her country.  A Dnepr is a little cheaper than a Ural and they look very much alike. RAMCO is the only Dnepr importer that sells a DOT, EPA certified Dnepr. They can be registered in any state. RAMCO will ship anywhere, you have to add the cost of shipping to the price of the rig.

Dnepr parts availability is about the same as Ural, RAMCO stocks any parts you might need.

Yuri's Cleavland kit Dneprs take a lot of mechanical know how to assemble and can be difficult to register, depending on the state that you live in.

Ural has their large dealer network and a nice selection of different models. Also, if you don't care to wrench on your bike the Ural is a better option, the dealer will do it for you.

I am very pleased with my Dnepr, any problems I have had have been small and easy to fix.

Dave
Hello Dave.

>> Shee-it, I'm sure you know what your handle means, very clever! <<

I was wondering how long it would be before somebody who knew enough Russian to figure out what "GAVNO" means would show up!   :lol:  :lol:  Back in Chicago I went to a high school where, out of necessity, you picked up bits & pieces of about 10 different languages...   most of it obscenities. You should hear me take off in Polish!  ;)

In any case...  Gavno is a short word that sounds like a reasonable nickname to someone who doesn't know the language.

Anyway...   I keep hearing good things about RAMCO, but I haven't yet explored the Dnepr side of things that deeply. I also keep hearing (accurately or not) that they aren't making Dneprs anymore, or parts for them...  that the stuff that's currently available is (A) new old stock (nothing wrong with that, except possibly future availability), or (B) rejects that couldn't make it thru quality control.

On the other side of the coin tho, I'm beginning to hear more and more about people who LOVE the Dnepr, once they get the bugs worked out of it.

Going back to my high school days again...  I used to be a pretty fair hand at doing complete rebuilds of Volkswagen 1200 and 1300 series air cooled engines (LOVED that J. C. Whitney catalog!).  Assuming the machining and general fitting of a Dnepr isn't THAT sloppy (I'm hearing it's advisable to tear down a "new" Dnepr engine to get the machining filings and such out!), I could probably handle putting a bike together...   IF I had the time to devote to the project. Like most everyone here tho that doesn't seem to be a reasonable proposition tho; I still have a huge, half assembled gas R/C model of a Piper J3 Cub that needs to be completed. It's been sitting for about 8 years now, simply because of a lack of time.  ;)  I figure that it'll get covered with fabric & take to the skies about a month after I retire.

Tho it's tempting to consider a "kit", for me the best approach seems to be to start out with a rig that's already in one big chunk.

It might take some time, but sooner or later the hack rig that will be called IVAN THE TERRIBLE will turn up.

Gavno

#22 GAVNO

GAVNO

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 01:56 PM

Hello Rich.

>>  BTW. I have a red Ural seat pan here if you want a custom bench seat built for it after you get it. <<

Now THAT'S an offer I can't refuse if I can get this beast! Thanks, and stay tuned...

Gavno

#23 GAVNO

GAVNO

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 02:05 PM

DAMN!!!

Looks like somebody cut a side deal on the red EBAY 1998...  it's off the market.  >:wub:

A Wisconsin to Missouri pickup trip (about 450 miles) would have been within reason, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

The search continues...

Gavno

#24 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with three wheels and motors!

Posted 11 September 2004 - 04:01 PM

The new owner of my 1995 Rig will be driving a bit over 300 miles to come and get it. I drove over 600 to get it from the Dealer in upstate NY when it was new. Great road trip! Worked two bike rallies into the drive while I was at it. My son and I had a great weekend of it!

For any of you considering a used rig or a new one, don't rule out road trips to get one. Camping is cheap and the trip can be a ball! Much cheaper than truck shipping!
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery
"Your Ass Will Thank You"
2003 Ural Retro Custom Rig "Oleysia"

#25 Becky Blosser

Becky Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 10:15 PM

We drove about 600 miles to pick up the 2000 Tourist (Winchester, VA to Abbeville, SC), and about 500 to pick up the 2004 Retro (Winchster to South Lyon, MI).  On both trips we worked in some riding/vacation time, and wouldn't have missed either trip for the world!
Becky Blosser
Russian Iron Administrator

Winchester, VA
A lonely outpost on the Eastern Front

"The answer to any question starting, 'Why don't they-' is almost always, 'Money.'" - Robert A. Heinlein

#26 mcdean

mcdean

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 08:04 AM

Rich & Becky are right I only had to go about 350 miles to get my tourist. I live in central Maine and it was tucked away in a barn in New Hampshire. The closest Dealer is about an hour away from home and where he's new in the business he has to order everything , but he seems genuine and fair and thats not what you get in a lot of dealers of other brands. Short story:
   The Tourist was in a barn with a broke tranny . I had been interested in the Urals and Dnepers for a while so when I was given this guys info I was excited about getting it. I made the guy an offer and he said no it's not for sale, after the whole winter goes bye and I'm looking all the while (Ebay, classifieds,etc) He calls out of the blue and says you still want it ? I hit the road 2 days later with $.
   When I got there the rig looked like crap. Really goats, chickens, horses living together with bike. I should have named it rusty. Anyway I still though it was cool crap,rust an all. I work in a machine shop so I fixed the hole in the case and puzzled the thing back together(tranny stuff were in boxes) I started the bike and it's been a blast and I'm very happy with it.
   I took a chance not hearing it run but the guy was a nice guy and he needed the money to pay the Vet bill.
   I got lucky, but now I would buy a newer model and with the 750 engine, I think  you'd get your moneys worth any way. I didn't want to spend much on a rig because I didn't know if I would like it . I'm hooked totaly....Doh.....Sorry for rambling on but thats my tourist story......Good luck and remember some things are meant to be , so the bike you didn't get wasn't meant to be.......Dean
Dean McCaslin
Maine,USA
99 Tourist (Siberian Huskey)
99 1500 Drifter (Miss Taken)

"I don't want a pickle,just want to ride on my motorsicle
and I don't want die ,just want to ride on my motorsiiiiiiiiiiii
hhhhmmmmmmm cle"    "Arlo Guthrie"

#27 GAVNO

GAVNO

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 10:10 AM

Hello All.

I've been off of the system for the last 3 weeks or so; the Ural hunt had to go on
the back burner for a while because a bit of an emergency came up.

Bozo, the Irish Setter that I want to take hack riding, was very suddenly taken ill.
She just collapsed and was delerious... didn't know who she was, where she was,
or who we were.

When we got her to the vet we found that she was suffering from a BAD kidney
infection that had triggered pneumonia...   NOT good at all for a 12 year old dog.
What was amazing was that she gave no signs that she was sick until the sudden
collapse. Wasn't eating well, but she's always been a picky eater anyway, so we
missed it.

For the past 3 weeks we've been doing antibiotics, IV solutions to keep her from
becoming dehydrated, and anything we could think of to reduce the fever. I think
the vet thought she was finished but we saw no signs of her giving up, so we didn't
give up on HER...   tho there were times with forced feeding that we BOTH got
very close to quitting. She managed to bite thru my thumbnail to avoid it.

Much to everyone's surprise she seems to have turned the corner; the antibiotics
did thier thing and an X-ray shows that her lungs are clearing up nicely. She's
about 90% back now, but very weak; she can't get up on her own yet. We start a
course of hydrotherapy tomorrow to try to get some muscle tone back in her rear
legs, and with luck she should be back to normal in a few more weeks. At this point
she can sort of walk if she's helped to her feet, which is a BIG improvement over
having to carry her outside.

The Ural fund has taken a hit; so far, the vet bill is about $1000, but the Ural hunt
is once again on track now.

EBAY has had a couple of interesting bikes but I've held off bidding until I was sure
of where we were at with Bozo.

Isn't amazing how far we will go just to buy a dog a couple of more good years...
people who have never loved a dog just don't get it.

Gavno
Owner & Operator of the Mahon Loomis Memorial Short Wave Radio Monitoring Station and Irish Setter Retirement Home.
Lover of complicated radios, simple motorcycles, and friendly old dogs.
ABATE Wisconsin ____________ Patriot Guard Riders
Favorite bumper sticker: I WONDER... WOULD YOU DRIVE ANY BETTER WITH THAT CELLPHONE SHOVED UP YOUR ASS?
Spiritual Brother to Don Quixote De La Mancha...
          CONNOISEIER OF ROLLER DERBY, KILTS, AND OTHER ESOTERIC EFFLUVIA

#28 Vance Blosser

Vance Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Good Science Fiction. Doing maintenance on older vehicles. Riding the Ural. Unusual vehicles.

Posted 04 October 2004 - 10:19 AM

We have 6 at our house; 4 that are ours and 2 my daughter brought with her when she returned home. They are all rescued animals and we know exactly where you are coming from!

#29 GAVNO

GAVNO

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 07:20 PM

Greetings, Troops!

After a VERY long time I think I may have finally found MY Ural!  :D

We're talking a 2004 Troyka @ about 240 miles on it (still under warrantee until
DEC 2006).

The best part...   it's right here in town (Madison, WI), so no huge shipping charges
and no need for a long trailering haul.

It was an EBAY special, but somebody screwed the seller; hit a BUY IT NOW, and
then turned out to be a deadbeat buyer.

I've got a phone number for the guy, paying for it is tentatively in place, and so far
the price range is something I can handle. If we can come to terms, he won't do
an EBAY relisting on it after the screwed up sale.

With a little bit of luck this coming spring I could be completing a hack rider's class,
and Bozo and I will be hitting the road on IVAN THE TERRIBLE!

This has taken a while, but sometimes it's best to wait and not be in a huge hurry
to get YOUR bike. That philosophy may have paid off in this case.

Wish me luck,

GAVNO
Owner & Operator of the Mahon Loomis Memorial Short Wave Radio Monitoring Station and Irish Setter Retirement Home.
Lover of complicated radios, simple motorcycles, and friendly old dogs.
ABATE Wisconsin ____________ Patriot Guard Riders
Favorite bumper sticker: I WONDER... WOULD YOU DRIVE ANY BETTER WITH THAT CELLPHONE SHOVED UP YOUR ASS?
Spiritual Brother to Don Quixote De La Mancha...
          CONNOISEIER OF ROLLER DERBY, KILTS, AND OTHER ESOTERIC EFFLUVIA

#30 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, my family, Urals &amp; AK-47s...

Posted 31 October 2005 - 08:35 PM

As a 20+ year vetern of two wheelers befire I bought my first sidecar rig I can tell you that you might be better off with the rig as your first bike.  No unlearning of bad two wheel bike habits to unlearn.  I still have a Harley in the garage and I hafta remind myself before I take off which bike I'm riding.  :lol:   You forget to put your feet town on the two wheeler after riding the Ural for a while.
John Grocke (a.k.a. JohnBG)
1998.5 Ural Tourist 650 - "Valentina" - The Blonde
2006 Ural Raven 750 - "Vorona" - The Brunette

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users