is a Ural the right choice as your FIRST bike?

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#121 VWNate1

VWNate1

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:46 PM

Hm , I dunno Kermit ;

I've seen a lotta torn CV diaphrams over the years . I'm not much impressed with CV typ carbies .

In any case , it's dead simple to test : take the top off the carby and lightly stretch the diaphram , it'll have holes or not .

Unobtanium ones can be repaired with nylon panty hose and RTV....   ;)
-Nate
Living the good life in Southern California
'94 Tourist Solo 650
'96 Solo 650
'10 Solo sT 750
Rust
Arthritis
Memories

#122 greenmachine

greenmachine

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

I've never heard of a fairly new CVK leaking at the diaphram except after a little " fixin" was done with the owner blowing high pressure air through the carb..... which apparently the diaphram doesn't care for too much.
I've also heard that the parts for CVK carbs can be rather on the expensive side, hence some of the K-series carbs we see around fairly often.

I would prefer a nice solid slide carb over the CVK supposedly, but I've NEVER had any carb troubles at all with CVKs so that's what I've left alone. Most of the guys I know that put on quite a few kliks have left on the CVKs without incident. If a bike SITS a lot, then I imagine that ALL rubber parts will turn to scrap over time including the carb diaphrams?

I dunno.

kermitski
Former Frog-Meister
Rode around the block a couple times
and got rid of that goofy thing...

#123 Ed Paynter

Ed Paynter

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, home brewing, music, astronomy, computers, reloading & target shooting..... in no particular order.

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:16 PM

Tell 'em, Jay!

All three Honda's and the Patrol have CVKs and collectively have ~300,000 miles.   In that time I have seen one cracked diaphragm and that on a bike that set idle for about 18 months without being properly prepped or drained before storage.  

That's about the only natural vulnerabilty I know of on the CVKs.....
however, indiscriminate use of high pressure air by a novice "cleaning out the jets" can damage them in a second.   They are more fuel efficient, less polluting of the environment, and self adjusting for temperature, air density and moderate altitude change.  

No, they don't look like they were made in 1896 from sandcast potmetal, but so far every bike that's completed an Iron Butt run has used them.  Know what you're doing and why you're doing it when you swap them out for K-carbs.....if it's for appearance then swap away.  If you think you're fixing an inherent weakness, then think again!

There a reason nearly every new bike on the road uses CVs in some variation....
do you really think it's a conspiracy? :huh:

The Sportsman came with Mikunis but I have a spare set of CVKs I bought from Lee Pape that replaced them.

You guys really need to be a bit more specific when handling out advice, especially to novices....at least qualify your statements with a "in my experience" or "in my humble opinion" or "I read it somewhere" instead of standing forth like you speak the Gospel.  ;)

ed

PS  
I've used that "silly twirl method" for setting Oksana's valves for the last 130,000kms......
IMHO, you can keep your silly feeler gauges! :o
Ed Paynter
North Carolina
AMA, HRCA, RIMC, IBA
Riders of the Eastern Front
2000 Ural Patrol 2WD 650 - "Oksana" SS1000 Finisher!   w/130000+km
1995 Ural Sportsman 2WD 650 - "Lilya"
1988 Honda VT1100c Shadow - "MoonShadow"
1981 Honda GL-500 SilverWing - "LittleWing"
2005 Honda PS250 Big Ruckus - "BioHazard"

#124 greenmachine

greenmachine

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:20 AM

Rut roh....

LOL !

Now ya done gone and gots Ed all riled up....  

;-)
kermitski
Former Frog-Meister
Rode around the block a couple times
and got rid of that goofy thing...

#125 Ed Paynter

Ed Paynter

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, home brewing, music, astronomy, computers, reloading & target shooting..... in no particular order.

Posted 28 October 2006 - 01:28 AM

Well. I'm not really riled (yet!) :lol: , but GEEZ, guys.....
this board is frequented by new owners of new bikes as well as owners of cobbled together conglomerations of spare and salvaged parts.  The same advice doesn't apply to everyone and we should be more responsible when offering advice.

We still hear of new owners who think they have to junk OEM parts on brand new bikes to install parts made in basement home industries and based on 40 years old designs in order to make their bike more "reliable".  

Just because you've owned a dozen Jap bikes, Brit bikes, German bikes or American bikes.... doesn't make you an expert on Russian Iron.   Just because you've had one sitting in your garage for the last 10 years doesn't  make you an expert either.   And as I've mentioned before, just because you're a certified expert on 30 year old Urals or DNEPRs doesn't neccessarily qualify you to give expert advice on brand new Urals!

To you new owners......take EVERYTHING you read here with a grain of salt
(Yeah, that especially includes anything I type!) :)  

Be a little sceptical.  Sure... seek advice on your problems, if there's a problem, but don't start "fixing" things that are't broken just because Bob or Fred says it's just waiting to break.  Not everyone rides their bike the same way.  Much of the advice offered here might be relevant if we all lived in the same climate, rode the same roads in exactly the same way, used the same gas, same oil and maintained our bikes in exactly the same way...but we don't!

There is no one perfect way of tuning, no one perfect fix, no one perfect part, no one perfect tire, no one perfect carb.....that will correct every problem for every rider under every condition.  And just as we should all try to be less abusive of other brand names, we should also be more accepting of the simple fact that there is more than one way to skin a cat (or tune your Russian Iron).

It mostly depends on what you want to achieve.  At least wait long enough that you actually have some rough idea of what that IS,  before you start butchering your bike.

That's all I'm saying........
carry on!

ed
Ed Paynter
North Carolina
AMA, HRCA, RIMC, IBA
Riders of the Eastern Front
2000 Ural Patrol 2WD 650 - "Oksana" SS1000 Finisher!   w/130000+km
1995 Ural Sportsman 2WD 650 - "Lilya"
1988 Honda VT1100c Shadow - "MoonShadow"
1981 Honda GL-500 SilverWing - "LittleWing"
2005 Honda PS250 Big Ruckus - "BioHazard"

#126 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 28 October 2006 - 06:23 AM

I have to agree with Kermi and Ed on the advice put out, some times its correct and some time not, I agree that checking your references is a good thing, The bling that a guy from podunk had a problem just like this.....has a good chance of being poor advice....There are many ways to skin the cat! how true! The question one shud always ask, is will it get it right and will it last. On the subject of carbs, compareing a K-68 to a KV, is pure compareing apples and oranges. They are different systems, each will perform well to the limits of their design, and yet niether one will surpass a good fuel injection, in reality they are three different levels of fuel control, each good to the limit of the design.....Ken.....and a "point's plate come to mind ....scheez

#127 Dubliner15

Dubliner15

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, beer and babes... and flight simulators...<br><br>Books, books, dogs, beer (did I already mention beer?) beer, and the rustier things in life :)

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:14 AM

Dog knows I've pulled my poor Fidelma apart many's the time with the best intentioned advice from this board - only to find the issue was soemthing else entirely.

Mind you, I did learn a lot in the process and used up my supply of new M8 bolts :)

I think it's wise to have a dash of tabasco on your chips along with that grain of salt Ed and Co. have mentioned.

What does not fully skin our knuckles or empty our banks accounts MAY get our bikes running one day, if the temperature is right, the cows are happy and Ivan is away for the day....

Otherwise... fiddle until it works :) That's the only advice I can give with any degree of confidence.

Dubondaroof
ДЧ6

::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1990 Dnepr OHV 'Fidelma' - K750 tank, K68 carbs, five coats of black paint, lots of tinkering and some expert advice.
1991 Dnepr OHV 'Brandbilen' - work in progress - RAL 7021 make-up on an underused pig.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Dub's Dnepr

Russian bikes are not a mode of transport - they are a test of character.

It's always DneprTime

#128 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, my family, Urals &amp; AK-47s...

Posted 28 October 2006 - 02:38 PM

Dubliner15, on Oct 28 2006, 07:14 AM, said:

Dog knows I've pulled my poor Fidelma apart many's the time with the best intentioned advice from this board - only to find the issue was soemthing else entirely.
Yup.  What Dub said.

Trying to daignose a problem with a Russian/Ukrainian rig with the bike right in front of you is hard.  Trying to do it over the internet sight unseen can be at times impossible.

Free advice from anywhere on anything can be worth exactly what ya paid for it.    >:(  At other times, it's golden!  B)

As a collective, I think we've run about just about any probelm a Russian rig can have.  But our willingness to share and help out is what makes this place great.

Without the help of this board, Bill Glaser and Holopaw Gene, I would rolled my non-running rig out in to the front yard a long time ago and set it on fire!  :surprise:  :blink:
John Grocke (a.k.a. JohnBG)
1998.5 Ural Tourist 650 - "Valentina" - The Blonde
2006 Ural Raven 750 - "Vorona" - The Brunette

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#129 gustapetes

gustapetes

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:14 PM

hey gavno,
in spring valley, MN, dave's cycle sells urals, right now he's got a retro with a sidecar and without.
also he's got two ravens on order, though one is spoken for.
his number is 507 346 1742 its probably three hours from madison, but he's got cool bikes.
good luck
nathan gp
'99 Bavarian Classic 650 (my first bike)  btw, my first two weeks with it have been about the most insane breaking in tale ever told. just today i got pulled over for a drive-off at a gas station (not my fault), sqeal of death, electric gremlins, run out of gas, getting caught in an ice storm 30 mi from home, and a clogged fuel line!  "That was intense!"  "the life of a ural man is always intense!"

#130 GAVNO

GAVNO

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Interests:Amateur radio (W9LBB), plus short wave listening (signals intercept & traffic analysis), dog sports (canine agility competition, and a little conformation ring), deer hunting, competitive combat pistol shooting (.45ACP, .357, .44 magnum), old movies, classical music. Add to the list astronomy, and ATM (Amateur Telescope Making).

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:35 AM

Howdy, Troops!

Just got lucky in the EBAY swimmin' hole once again this evening, and picked up something EVERY Ural owner needs, or WILL need eventually...   a suitable TRAILER!

Check out item number 300040284506 .

Not exactly an off the shelf item, but ( A ) the bed is big enough, tho I'll have to add tie-down points, ( B ) the load capacity is quite adequate, ( C ) it's close enough to haul home on a day off, and ( D ) the price is reasonable.

Interesting, isn't it...   you buy a bike, and that's only just the BEGINNING!   :lol:

GAVNO

PS - Before someone mentions it, I already KNOW about Bearing Buddies!  ;)  It'll probably be growing a pair before the ride back to Wisconsin.
Owner & Operator of the Mahon Loomis Memorial Short Wave Radio Monitoring Station and Irish Setter Retirement Home.
Lover of complicated radios, simple motorcycles, and friendly old dogs.
ABATE Wisconsin ____________ Patriot Guard Riders
Favorite bumper sticker: I WONDER... WOULD YOU DRIVE ANY BETTER WITH THAT CELLPHONE SHOVED UP YOUR ASS?
Spiritual Brother to Don Quixote De La Mancha...
          CONNOISEIER OF ROLLER DERBY, KILTS, AND OTHER ESOTERIC EFFLUVIA

#131 Ragman

Ragman

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, Machines, Photographs.

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:32 AM

That is a neat little trailer, Gavno..  to think, I junked and disposed of a pop up camper a couple of years ago.
2011 Gear Up
2010 TW200

Sold: 05 Patrol, Royal Enfield Bullet, HD Sportster, TW200, XT500, and many more..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users