• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#16 africalight

africalight

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle Tourism<br />Engineering/Manufacturing<br />Disk Golf<br />Paintball-Action Pursuit Games (Woodsball, Scenarios)<br />African news<br />Innovative products<br />Low-tech enviro friendly systems<br />Solar/Wind/Hydro<br />Research Biodiesel for Illinois Institute of Rural Affairs

Posted 14 December 2006 - 03:18 PM

Wow,
after reading all of this I am glad that I got some new Russian tires just before they dried up!!! No way I can afford the Avons on a grad student salary.

Ryan
2006 Patrol (Green with disappearing chrome)

#17 Ed Paynter

Ed Paynter

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, home brewing, music, astronomy, computers, reloading &amp; target shooting..... in no particular order.

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:57 PM

Hmmm, this sounds very familiar!

A similar shortage in 2002 with Russian tires rapidly escalating to over $100 per tire was what first convinced me to try some alternative  tires.....eventually I switched to sport car tires and have never looked back!

Here are a couple of sites that may be useful if the tire market dries up......
check both the Street Tire, Dirt Tires and Dual Sport.    If you browse around, you'll find something that works for both the 18"  and 19" rims, both on-road and off-road.

http://www.americanm...rget=d1588.html

one warning.....remember most of these tires, especially the inexpensive ones like the Cheng Shins, are
not going to have the load rating of the Russian tires or any other sidecar rated tires.   They'll work as long as you don't abuse the hell out of them but be leery of tires with anything under 300lb load rating.

another tire resource:

http://www.coker.com...stomer/home.php

Nothing drives independent research like shortages!  :)

ed
Ed Paynter
North Carolina
AMA, HRCA, RIMC, IBA
Riders of the Eastern Front
2000 Ural Patrol 2WD 650 - "Oksana" SS1000 Finisher!   w/130000+km
1995 Ural Sportsman 2WD 650 - "Lilya"
1988 Honda VT1100c Shadow - "MoonShadow"
1981 Honda GL-500 SilverWing - "LittleWing"
2005 Honda PS250 Big Ruckus - "BioHazard"

#18 DirtyDR

DirtyDR

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:57 PM

eventually I switched to sport car tires and have never looked back!

Ed,
How have those car tires been treating you? Come spring I am going to put a set on mine before I head cross country and I was just curious.
Dana
2006 Blue soccer-mom-mobile

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

#19 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, my family, Urals &amp; AK-47s...

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:33 PM

View PostEd Paynter, on Dec 14 2006, 05:57 PM, said:

one warning.....remember most of these tires, especially the inexpensive ones like the Cheng Shins, are
not going to have the load rating of the Russian tires or any other sidecar rated tires. They'll work as long as you don't abuse the hell out of them but be leery of tires with anything under 300lb load rating.
ed

The Chen Shins have a 515 lb. load rating and are 4-ply rated, which is about the best I've been able to find in an economical tire aside from the Uralshinas or a car tire.

I've run about 8,000km with them (replacing the pusher once) at times with passengers, and at times beating the hell out of them on the dirt roads with no ill effects..
John Grocke (a.k.a. JohnBG)
1998.5 Ural Tourist 650 - "Valentina" - The Blonde
2006 Ural Raven 750 - "Vorona" - The Brunette

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#20 Neil3Wheeler

Neil3Wheeler

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:52 PM

View Postwyowillys46, on Dec 14 2006, 07:38 AM, said:

Anyone know the reason for the price increase in Uralshinas? Frankly this is BS. They aren't planning on dropping the Russian knobby are they?
I don't think the rumor mill has indicated a price increase on Uralshina - merely a halt to installation on new rigs and a halt to replacement imports.

The price doubling (or more) from the Uralshina street tire is the retail price for a completely different tire, the German Heidenau.  My guess, and it's strictly a guess, is this single tire will act as the knobby and the street rubber supplied by Ural, for about $130 each.

I guess I would be happy to stick a $130 tire on the front or the hack, but the pusher - come on.....
Neil '3' Wheeler
Northern Illinois, USA
ESC #1733; AOPA #1253713
'03 Triumph Tiger 955i
'05 Patrol "Синяя Лиса "
ИМЗ 8.1037   2WD 750см3
CVK-32mm, OEM jets: 38/65/125
Tires (Уралшина): 32f/30s/40pusher
Castrol GTX 20W-50 Engine+Gearbox

Тише едешь - дальше будешь!

#21 Greg

Greg

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:08 PM

The reason for the swap from Uralshina to another brand seems to be purely financial. Uralshina apparently has the audacity to want to be PAID for it's tires! It seems that they won't supply tires to Uralmoto, Motoimpex etc. until all debts are paid up. The current price for a single C-93 (DOT) tire is about 700 rbl (about $26). That includes tube and rim band. Might be a good business for an enterprising dealer.

Also on the subject of IMZ bankruptcy, seems another large section of the factory was just sold off by the oblast government to pay off debts. Purchaser is a Swiss or German timber company. That has to be good for Irbit if not for IMZ. Another large company that pays employees on time and actually putting money into pension funds will cause a lot of good workers to think about employment elsewhere.

#22 edthetermite

edthetermite

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 07:24 AM

View PostGreg, on Dec 14 2006, 10:08 PM, said:

The reason for the swap from Uralshina to another brand seems to be purely financial. Uralshina apparently has the audacity to want to be PAID for it's tires! It seems that they won't supply tires to Uralmoto, Motoimpex etc. until all debts are paid up. The current price for a single C-93 (DOT) tire is about 700 rbl (about $26). That includes tube and rim band. Might be a good business for an enterprising dealer.

Also on the subject of IMZ bankruptcy, seems another large section of the factory was just sold off by the oblast government to pay off debts. Purchaser is a Swiss or German timber company. That has to be good for Irbit if not for IMZ. Another large company that pays employees on time and actually putting money into pension funds will cause a lot of good workers to think about employment elsewhere.

IF current sourcing for Uralshina tires is drying up why couldn't we directly contact their firm and make
inquiries about stateside availability? I for one would be willing to buy SEVERAL at once if we could get a good rate on a group purchase.

Ed
2006 Ural Gear Up
"If you have to explain they won't understand....."

#23 Ed Paynter

Ed Paynter

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, home brewing, music, astronomy, computers, reloading &amp; target shooting..... in no particular order.

Posted 15 December 2006 - 07:51 AM

View PostJohnBG, on Dec 14 2006, 07:33 PM, said:

The Chen Shins have a 515 lb. load rating and are 4-ply rated, which is about the best I've been able to find in an economical tire aside from the Uralshinas or a car tire.

I've run about 8,000km with them (replacing the pusher once) at times with passengers, and at times beating the hell out of them on the dirt roads with no ill effects..

You're right, John....the Cheng Shins come in several grades.   The tires I was referring to were the ones that I picked up on sale at 5 tires for $45.00....less than $10 bucks per tire (a few of the older Ural riders may remember these).   They still worked fine, as long as you didn't try jumping cars with them but they had a much lower load rating.   Load ratings are much more important if you carry a monkey in the hack or like flying the chair.   I might risk my own life but I don't put others at risk.

On the other question, the sports car tires give the longest life of any tires I've used but require a bit of getting use to....they have more traction than bike tires (full block profile equals larger contact patch), they won't break loose in corners if you like to skid,  they suck in the mud and they're absolutely dangerous for flying the chair, but they have great balance for highway running and they last forever......I generally get at least 25,000kms on a pusher.

ed
Ed Paynter
North Carolina
AMA, HRCA, RIMC, IBA
Riders of the Eastern Front
2000 Ural Patrol 2WD 650 - "Oksana" SS1000 Finisher!   w/130000+km
1995 Ural Sportsman 2WD 650 - "Lilya"
1988 Honda VT1100c Shadow - "MoonShadow"
1981 Honda GL-500 SilverWing - "LittleWing"
2005 Honda PS250 Big Ruckus - "BioHazard"

#24 Becky Blosser

Becky Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:53 AM

View Postedthetermite, on Dec 15 2006, 12:24 PM, said:

IF current sourcing for Uralshina tires is drying up why couldn't we directly contact their firm and make
inquiries about stateside availability? I for one would be willing to buy SEVERAL at once if we could get a good rate on a group purchase.

Ed

Ed,

They have been contacted in the past.  Their required minimum order is 2700 tires.
Becky Blosser
Russian Iron Administrator

Winchester, VA
A lonely outpost on the Eastern Front

"The answer to any question starting, 'Why don't they-' is almost always, 'Money.'" - Robert A. Heinlein

#25 Tud

Tud

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:27 AM

View PostBecky Blosser, on Dec 15 2006, 10:53 AM, said:

Ed

Ed,

They have been contacted in the past.  Their required minimum order is 2700 tires.

We're going to need a bigger goup.   :thumbsup!:

#26 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:46 AM

In my minds eye, I can see it now, spring get togethers, dozens of urals....bumping down the road ....with no tires....sparks flying from running on the rims, in the meantime Dneprs with yuri's famous dot'less tires fleeting by ....ooops....I woke up :smile:  :thumbsup!: ....Ken

As always, nothing is expressed or implied :blush2:

#27 bear

bear

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:58 AM

:thumbsup!: the tire size on a 2004 Ural Patrol is 4.00x19, right?  But I have seen people mention 3.50x19  What are other sizes that fit and cross reference sizes that will work when the 4.00x19 isn't mentioned?  I am confused...so confused.
2004 Patrol
2000 GS
1995 CR

Enjoy the ride.

#28 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:22 PM

View PostChicagoRandy, on Dec 15 2006, 11:42 AM, said:

Randy again,
I read your last post as well as "Greg"'s post on the other board. What can I say? To bull###### and gossip around is much easier than getting real things done. As they say in Asia, the dog is barking, but the caravan keeps moving on.

All,

Any more questions you would like to hear answers on directly from the "horse mouth"?

Ilya Khait
President, IMWA

Ummm.... When the heck are we gonna get some tires available? Never answered the original question.... :huh2:

In other words, are we gonna hafta wait three months for Ilya to "finalize his contract"?  :angry:

What do we do if we need tires until then? :blush2:

How about answers to those questions.... :thumbsup!:

So Ilya pops in here from time to time. Whoda thunk it? :smile:

View PostBecky Blosser, on Dec 15 2006, 09:53 AM, said:

Ed

Ed,

They have been contacted in the past. Their required minimum order is 2700 tires.

In purchasing 2700 tires, what the price? Enquiring minds want to know... :huh2:

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#29 Greg

Greg

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:35 PM

View PostJohnBG, on Dec 15 2006, 12:22 PM, said:

In purchasing 2700 tires, what the price? Enquiring minds want to know... :thumbsup!:

Pretty simple John,

2700 x $26 = $70,200 plus shipping say $5,000,

Ilya didn't deny anything! IMWA can't buy Uralshina tires. We can!

#30 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:49 PM

View PostGreg, on Dec 15 2006, 12:35 PM, said:

View PostJohnBG, on Dec 15 2006, 12:22 PM, said:

In purchasing 2700 tires, what the price? Enquiring minds want to know... :blush2:

Pretty simple John,

2700 x $26 = $70,200 plus shipping say $5,000,

Ilya didn't deny anything! IMWA can't buy Uralshina tires. We can!

I was hoping at that quantity level, we could get a better price break!  Power buy, like Wal-Mart! :thumbsup!:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users