26 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 05:34 PM

I tried doing a search on this, as I remember someone having a similar problem but don't remember the outcome.
I bought the pants from Sportsman's guide for under $20. They were brand new and fit well. The jacket came from Army Barracks. Size c54. It is snug, and I could use a larger size. The arms on the insert seem longer than the jacket itself. The jacket is very short. it rides about 4" above the beltline of a normal pair of pants. At 5'11", 225, it should be the right size. I thought I remember someone else mentioning that theirs was short and thought it may have been a women's jacket.
I emailed Army Barracks and they said I could exchange it, but the replacement would probably be the same.
So I am faced with returning it ($8.50 each way) and hoping the replacement is correct. Maybe replacing it for store credit. Take the loss and move on.
There is an army surplus company in CA that has them brand new, and in OD or Black, for $39. Risk another $39 plus postage?
Sept. 8, 2006-March 26, 2007     4997 KM

#2 Bural

Bural

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:00 PM

Hey Bernie,  I'm 5'll', also (200lbs) and bought the extra large.  I'm long bodied and mine hits right at the normal belt line.  The bib pants go way above that, so it seals.  If yours is 4" above the natural belt line, something is wrong.  I didn't find a number in mine, but I ordered it as an extra large.  John Grocke exchanged his and got a larger one, but the second one was very used.  In comparison between John and I, he has more upper body than myself.  I wish I had known about the black ones, but I feel blessed to have one at all.  I missed out on them the first time around.  Good Luck.
Richard, Jan & Riley
96 R90 Ural Tourist-Soon to be for sale
02 R75 Ural Tourist -Sold
Dnepr MT16 R80
Dnepr BMW R90 The Beepr

#3 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,016 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, my family, Urals & AK-47s...

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:15 PM

All of the ArmyBarracks.com jackets and pants are advertised as used.

I'm 6'-2" and 250lb.  Originally, I ordered the "extra large" jacket and they had shipped me a C52 jacket that was like new.  It fit but it was really snug.

My wife called them and they exchanged it for a size C54.  The C54 was more used but fits much better.  I don't mind the fact that is it a little more worn, it's got that great "broke-in" look and feel.  Kinda like them stone-washed jeans with the rips in them that folks pay $200/pair for. :beerchug:  Mine does ride at just above the belt line, but not much above that.  I think that's the style of the jacket.

View PostBural, on Dec 5 2006, 06:00 PM, said:

I wish I had known about the black ones, but I feel blessed to have one at all. I missed out on them the first time around. Good Luck.

They sell black ones?  That might go with the Raven! :feelssogood:
John Grocke (a.k.a. JohnBG)
1998.5 Ural Tourist 650 - "Valentina" - The Blonde
2006 Ural Raven 750 - "Vorona" - The Brunette

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#4 justgimmecoffee

justgimmecoffee

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:24 PM

anybody take one of those out in the rain, yet?    Does it become a big green sponge or is it waterproof (ish)?    

Those of us living in the NorthWet need to know.  

thx,
  Barry
'05 Tourist
& a Charmed Life

#5 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:29 PM

View Postjustgimmecoffee, on Dec 5 2006, 06:24 PM, said:

anybody take one of those out in the rain, yet? Does it become a big green sponge or is it waterproof (ish)?

Those of us living in the NorthWet need to know.

thx,
Barry

I haven't tried it in the rain ,but looking at the jacket, it might work for a light drizzle, but I don't think it would keep ya dry in a downpour.  I'm not sure it was intended to be rain proof.  Once rain gets to that liner, it's gonna wick real quick.

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#6 justgimmecoffee

justgimmecoffee

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:34 PM

thats what I figured. Its hard to find clothing thats warm, waterproof.... and incredibly cheap.  

thanks John.
'05 Tourist
& a Charmed Life

#7 scrinch

scrinch

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:45 PM

I have two of the three covered with a LL Bean Gortex Winter Coat.  It is extremely warm and water proof, but it ain't cheap. ( $150.00 on sale I think). The plus side is that LL Bean guarantees satisfaction, no questions.  The other plus is that the people selling the products know what they are talking about, and it can be used for on street wear.
Kevin & Pam White

2005 Tourist  formerly
"Urola" Now PK5347

#8 Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:45 PM

Hey Bernie,  I'm 5'll', also (200lbs) and bought the extra large.  I'm long bodied and mine hits right at the normal belt line.  The bib pants go way above that, so it seals.  If yours is 4" above the natural belt line, something is wrong.  I didn't find a number in mine, but I ordered it as an extra large.  John Grocke exchanged his and got a larger one, but the second one was very used.  In comparison between John and I, he has more upper body than myself.  I wish I had known about the black ones, but I feel blessed to have one at all.  I missed out on them the first time around.  Good Luck.
..Army Barracks is not the company that has the black ones, for an extra $5, and they are brand new.
I just checked my leather mc jacket, xl, and measuting from where the collsr joins the main jacket, down the back spine, is 27". The Swedish jacket is 23.4" same way. This is for a size c54, their largest.
Could you measure your jacket  John?

#9 Bural

Bural

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:08 PM

Just found the number on ours.  It's a C56 and measures 25.5"  down the back.  Figuring from John's description on his first jacket, we ordered an EXLarge.
Richard, Jan & Riley
96 R90 Ural Tourist-Soon to be for sale
02 R75 Ural Tourist -Sold
Dnepr MT16 R80
Dnepr BMW R90 The Beepr

#10 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:12 PM

View PostBlue Ridge Wheeltor, on Dec 5 2006, 06:45 PM, said:

Hey Bernie, I'm 5'll', also (200lbs) and bought the extra large. I'm long bodied and mine hits right at the normal belt line. The bib pants go way above that, so it seals. If yours is 4" above the natural belt line, something is wrong. I didn't find a number in mine, but I ordered it as an extra large. John Grocke exchanged his and got a larger one, but the second one was very used. In comparison between John and I, he has more upper body than myself. I wish I had known about the black ones, but I feel blessed to have one at all. I missed out on them the first time around. Good Luck.
..Army Barracks is not the company that has the black ones, for an extra $5, and they are brand new.
I just checked my leather mc jacket, xl, and measuting from where the collsr joins the main jacket, down the back spine, is 27". The Swedish jacket is 23.4" same way. This is for a size c54, their largest.
Could you measure your jacket John?

Measuring from the base of the collar down the seam in the middle of the back, to the bottom of the jacket, it is just under 26"  (see attached pictures).

Who sells the black jackets?  I looked on sportsmansguide.com and they don't show them there.

Attached Files

#11 Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:26 PM

View PostJohnBG, on Dec 5 2006, 08:12 PM, said:

View PostBlue Ridge Wheeltor, on Dec 5 2006, 06:45 PM, said:

Hey Bernie, I'm 5'll', also (200lbs) and bought the extra large. I'm long bodied and mine hits right at the normal belt line. The bib pants go way above that, so it seals. If yours is 4" above the natural belt line, something is wrong. I didn't find a number in mine, but I ordered it as an extra large. John Grocke exchanged his and got a larger one, but the second one was very used. In comparison between John and I, he has more upper body than myself. I wish I had known about the black ones, but I feel blessed to have one at all. I missed out on them the first time around. Good Luck.
Could you measure your jacket John?

Measuring from the base of the collar down the seam in the middle of the back, to the bottom of the jacket, it is just under 26"  (see attached pictures).

Who sells the black jackets?  I looked on sportsmansguide.com and they don't show them there.
That's the way I measured mine, and it came up short. I will call them in the a.m., or I may just order a black one from this company:
http://www.rddusa.co...u...p;x=46&y=15

#12 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:53 PM

BRW - Here is a picture of me wearing the jacket.  The bottom of the jacket sits right at my belt.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files

#13 IMZman

IMZman

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:07 PM

Looks like one of them WESH DUI pic's they flash across the screen JJG...
Bill Glaser
2002 Patrol "CYKA"
200,000+ km's since May 2002
Click here to go to: "The Unofficial URAL 750cc Service Manual"

#14 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:11 PM

View PostBill Glaser, on Dec 5 2006, 10:07 PM, said:

Looks like one of them WESH DUI pic's they flash across the screen JJG...

All that was missing is the sign with my name and jail booking number under my chin! :laugh:

#15 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with three wheels and motors!

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:43 PM

That would make a good passport photo!  :laugh:
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery
"Your Ass Will Thank You"
2003 Ural Retro Custom Rig "Oleysia"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users