• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 bigedf150

bigedf150

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Guns, camping,hiking boating.fishing hunting,and of course bikes.

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:53 AM

GMBM, on Nov 14 2006, 04:58 AM, said:

Been reading the posts over the last few weeks since my first post and finding this all very interesting. As I said on the previous post, we are coming to the US in April to ride for about 10 months. Was looking at getting a new Ural, but am wondering if low mileage 'pre-loved' machine would be better idea, especially after reading this post. ???
We WILL be getting a Ural, WHY, because I am sure if I went to a Goldwing or HD forum there wouldn't be the mix of crazy owners that I am seeing on this forum. And as I said previously, if we just wanted to see sights we could go by bus. If you want to meet interesting people, I reckon the touring a Ural must be the best way to go.

Just a quick question, are there any Urals out there with 25,000 to 50,000 miles on the clock
if you can find a ural with 7 to 10k on it,or more, odds are to the better that its a good runner with the bugs worked out...

if you think thats a long trip your planning check out this site

its two people making a round the world trip on a chang jiang :feelssogood:

http://www.draginrun.com/
2006 Touring by Motorcycle, a Chang Jiang from China to Europe and USA

here is an older trip by a dnepr nut :help:

http://www.vulcano.d...dkapp/index.htm
The North cape by Dnepr
1966 dnepr 2wd, democracy
2006 royal enfield electra x with vintage kit

1970 cj750 flattie solo x 2
1971 norton commando roadster

#62 Yobe

Yobe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, History, Baseball (Go YANKEES!), sailing

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:11 AM

SPEEDMASTA, on Nov 13 2006, 09:29 PM, said:

Having a Raven sitting in Washington state waiting to be put togeather I am very concerned about your problem so I copied this entire post and sent it to my dealer whom I don't have a lot of confidence in "yet" since I don't have a bike as well as the place that I thought might be putting togeather in WA.

The company in WA e-mailed me back and said they were forwarding on the concern to the importer/putter-to-geatherer.

My hopes were that they could look at the three 06's that were coming down here and find any potential problem. Hopefully that will contact you if you still need help.

Rich
You just might get your rig and it runs like a top right out of the box. These rigs are quirky like that. These boards are great for sharing our BTDT (Been There, Done That) issues and a search on these boards will provide you with numerous issues and fixes for them.

Good luck.
Brandon Clonch a.k.a. Yobe
06 Tourist

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
- Benjamin Franklin 1759

#63 Yobe

Yobe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, History, Baseball (Go YANKEES!), sailing

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:12 AM

ChicagoRandy, on Nov 14 2006, 07:01 AM, said:

Hi Graham,

There are a few of us with more than 50,000kms on the dial. The majority of Ural owners don't seem to put a lot of miles on their rigs, or don't ever post on the two main web sites.

For 10 months of cross country motorcycle cruising I confess I'd be looking at a Yamaha V-Star or similar ride and leaving Tovarishch in the garage- lol Truth be told the only reason I bought my little Suzuki 250cc bike is to learn two-wheeler skills to be able to then buy a V-Star and take LONG road trip to see the USA.

Just the reality of the Urals and superslabs not being a good mix and the VASTE USA highway system would give me pause. Add to that the "potential" for warranty repairs that could (and have) taken months for some owners and I don't think I'd gamble a once-in-a-lifetime trip on one. Ural quality control continues with great improvements EVERY year, and the '06s are the best yet, but IMZ is still just a tiny company and parts supply or gremlin "issues" are still out there.

I do agree that you would meet far more folks on a Ural than on a two-wheeler. Most strangers are afraid of "bikers" but will chat up a sidecarist in a heartbeat.
Agreed!!  :thumbsup:
Brandon Clonch a.k.a. Yobe
06 Tourist

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
- Benjamin Franklin 1759

#64 Tud

Tud

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:30 AM

Just thought I'd add my $0.02 for the perspective new Ural owners.  These are not American bikes, or Japanese or German, they're Russian, and for the most part very utilitarian.  They require a lot of maintenance, but it's not difficult maintenance.  

I've had my '06 Gear Up for five months now and there's a little over 6000kms on the clock.  I've had it off road and I've had it at highway speeds for 2-3 hours at a time.  One big difference between John and I might be that I bought the last one the shop had, it had been the demo bike and the dealer had put 400kms on it.  This may be one reason that, for me, the bike has been relatively trouble free.  Any problem I've had has been fixed on the side of the road, these include:

1)  Clutch pivot pin backing out resulting in a loss of the clutch while coming off the highway.
2)  Loose battery connector causing me to stall out just as John described.
3)  Clutch was grabbing at idle while in gear, adjusted the clutch cable.
4) Smashed side light lens from a rock (not a factory issue)
5) The oil pump stopper at the top of the engine backed out once.
6) After the bike sat in heavy rain a couple times it bogged down shortly after
starting.  I'm told this is due to water being sucked in past the air
filter.  After getting the lap blanket and covering the seat (and
subsequently the intake box) this hasn't been as much of a problem.
7)  Crud in the fuel lines caused the float needle not to seat, resulting in
issues at idle and leaking gas.  I replaced the fuel lines with ones provided for free from my dealer and cleaned the fuel filters.
8)  Rear brake was running really hot, I was told to back it off and that the
housing should only be warm to the touch, not hot.  I've backed it off quite
a bit and need to start tightening it up so that it's usable again.

Unlike some, bikes are my only mode of transportation, not an easy thing to get away with in Canada.  The wife has a minivan but she needs it during the week.  I sold our F150 in order to get the Ural, and I knew going into it that it would require a lot of hands on and routine maintenance.  As a backup I have a '74 CB550Four, but that's not going to help once the snow flies, and it hasn't been ridden since getting the Ural.

These bikes aren't for the faint of heart, but for what it's worth, Ural's aren't the only bikes coming out of the factories with problems:

Honda

That's my rant.  Couldn't be happier with Earl the Ural and looking forward to when the snow starts flying up here.

Tud

#65 Kirk

Kirk

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:53 AM

JohnBG, on Nov 13 2006, 10:46 PM, said:

Kirk, on Nov 13 2006, 10:15 PM, said:

I'm going to get the tool box tank installed so hopefully I won't have the same problem. ; )
Glad I could be of help.

Are you paying extra for that toolbox tank?  I'm getting ready to fire off a letter to Ilya at IMWA about the tank.

Aside from this glitch and not toolbox tank, I am enjoying the Raven.  It's a sahrp bike.
Yes John, it's an additional fee. I'm working with Stephen up at Ural NW. He's been absolutely wonderful answering all my questions. They are going to paint the tool box tank a Satin black. It will be very, very close to the matte black, but not exact. I've read other posts that say all the black doesn't match, so I'm cool with that. Call me finicky, but I fell in love with the picture on the site and am trying to get the bike to match that as close as possible. I'm also working with Rich Maund on a getting brown covers for the tractor seat (which I'm getting instead of the bench seat) and sidecar to really make it look retro. I'm heading out to UralNW on December 5th. Once I get the bike back I'll post some pics for sure.

I understand all this costs more to do and well that's kind of a bummer, but they did have the disclaimer on the site (except about the tank of course). But I figured for an extra grand (for the pipes as well) it's worth it to me. It's just like when I bought accessories for my old V-Star. Got to have all the bells and whistles. LOL.

I hope to not have too many "quirks" with the bike, but if (or should I say when) I do, I will certainly share the issues, or in my case more likely beg for assistance on how to remedy them. ; ) Thanks again for sharing your story. It helps me a lot.

#66 Mud Pie

Mud Pie

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:57 AM

Graham,

The purpose of this board is for owners to share their stories and experiences.  

The members of this board are invaluable when it comes to assisting you when you have problems.  While it's true these rigs have their problems (known as "quirks" to those of us who love our rigs), not every rig is chock-full of problems.

My rig for one, has started every time, runs great and has never stranded me.  The only problem I've come across is a faulty ground wire for my tail light.  Extremely minor.

If you take the posts here at face value, it would appear that everyone's rig is constantly breaking down.  That's simply not the case.  It's just those that are having problems are the ones that post, looking for help.

It's like if you sit outside a divorce court all the time, you'd think that EVERYONE is getting divorced because that's all you see.  People with happy marriages don't go to divorce court, so you never see them.  It's the same with these rigs.  People with perfectly running rigs barely post simply because they don't need any help.

I just spent the entire weekend working the Ural bike show.  I had 3 days to crawl all over the 2007 models of these rigs and I have to say they are the best yet by far !  Ural has listened us owners and made adjustments accordingly.  Are they up to Honda quality yet ?  Nope.  But I bet Honda has more people working at ONE of their loading docks than Ural has in their entire employ !

I wouldn't recommend an older Ural with low miles.  Age and low miles is a killer on any vehicle.  If you take a brand new Porsche, let it sit outside for 5-10 years, then jump in and try to make it a daily runner, it's going to break down on you constantly.  Sure, it looks great, but the wiring, tires, hoses, gaskets, etc. are still old.
2005 Ural Gear Up
1983 Honda C70 Passport

The early bird mat get the worm, but the worm that sleeps late doesn't get eaten

#67 Greg

Greg

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:04 AM

bigedf150, on Nov 14 2006, 07:53 AM, said:

Having read that site, all I can say is it's not a good plug for CJs, and the bikes owners have more money than sence! I mean the CJ is derived from the M-72 and they go to a Bavarian Money Waster dealer in Moscow paying Bavarian Money Waster prices when there are hundreds if not thousands of "oppozit" dealers who could have solved ALL their problems for less than $200! Be intersting to see if the bike does make the US.

#68 csbdr

csbdr

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, flyfishing, riding to flyfishing, bluegrass, playing guitar and banjo, my boy (should have put him first!), camping

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:07 AM

Mud Pie, on Nov 13 2006, 11:02 PM, said:

Ah, but John, do you realize if you put the toolbox tank on it, it will no longer be an original Raven ?  Ravens come without a toolbox tank, you'll be doing a mod that may detract from it's collector value !

Plus, have you mentioned putting the toolbox tank on while standing on/near Varona ?  If so, I bet Varona has muttered to herself, "He hasn't even been with me a week yet and he wants my tank bigger.  What's with men and them liking big tanks ? I think I have a very shapely tank, thank-you-very-much ! Only slutty bikes have them access doors in their tanks.  Tool box.  Yeah, I got a place he can put his tools !"

That's why she's not running so well.  You've hurt her feelings.

Now go outside and tell her you like her tank the way it is, it's just a thing guys do; wishing their bikes had another place to put their tools.  Putting it in the trunk all the time gets boring.  Sometimes you just like to put your tools in someplace smaller, she shouldn't take it personal.

:D

paging Dr.Phil, paging Dr.Phil.......

:)
I think putting on that toolbox tank may void your warrantee, John. Not a factory approved modification. Don't risk it! ;)  :D  Chris
2002 Ural Tourist - "Pikop Andropov" 29,500
2003 Yamaha RoadStar
2009 Royal Enfield C5

#69 csbdr

csbdr

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, flyfishing, riding to flyfishing, bluegrass, playing guitar and banjo, my boy (should have put him first!), camping

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:10 AM

Been reading the posts over the last few weeks since my first post and finding this all very interesting. As I said on the previous post, we are coming to the US in April to ride for about 10 months. Was looking at getting a new Ural, but am wondering if low mileage 'pre-loved' machine would be better idea, especially after reading this post. ???
We WILL be getting a Ural, WHY, because I am sure if I went to a Goldwing or HD forum there wouldn't be the mix of crazy owners that I am seeing on this forum. And as I said previously, if we just wanted to see sights we could go by bus. If you want to meet interesting people, I reckon the touring a Ural must be the best way to go.

Just a quick question, are there any Urals out there with 25,000 to 50,000 miles on the clock
I bought a "pe-loved" machine and STILL had to work the bugs out.  Have some new electrical gremlin this week actually, and have 14+ Km on the sucker. Gotta love it!  Chris
2002 Ural Tourist - "Pikop Andropov" 29,500
2003 Yamaha RoadStar
2009 Royal Enfield C5

#70 vradin

vradin

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Scouts, guns, fishing, computers, and mo'sickles

Posted 14 November 2006 - 02:29 PM

csbdr, on Nov 14 2006, 11:10 AM, said:

Was looking at getting a new Ural, but am wondering if low mileage 'pre-loved' machine would be better idea, especially after reading this post. ???
I bought a "pre-loved" machine and STILL had to work the bugs out.  Have some new electrical gremlin this week actually, and have 14+ Km on the sucker. Gotta love it!  Chris
Amen, Chris.

I got my GU at about 6k kms on the dial and have had a host of gremlins to exorcise. Most of which were attributable to the previous owner's (ab)use and (lack of) skill of workmanship. I wish I had more hands on experience with it mechanically before buying it. The latest is a clutch issue that the dealer is taking care of. I will say that the dealer that arranged the sale, and made ZERO commission off it, has taken excellent care of me and the rig since. I'd still never trade or sell it as when it is running right I love the beastie, quirks and all.
Vic
'05 Gear Up - "Prince Myshkin" aka Идиот

#71 joes

joes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 02:33 PM

3wheels, on Nov 14 2006, 07:00 AM, said:

joes, on Nov 12 2006, 01:33 AM, said:

JohnBG, on Nov 11 2006, 10:44 PM, said:

greenmachine, on Nov 11 2006, 06:51 PM, said:

Check , tighten and grease the plug connectors on the ignition system including all the wires. Yer apparently shorting something to ground. Stop doing that. It's bad form.
I checked the wiring inside the coil housing.  Everything seems tight.  :huh:

The only connector I really couldn't check is the one from the rotor plate to the exterior type V ignition puck.  That connector is wedged behind the plate.

When all this happens and I am on the side of the road, I do look at the puck and get blinky, blinky blinky red LED when I thumb the starter, which I guess is a good thing.
Best advice is to sell that junk and get a different make bike.or are you just that stupid ?
I gotta think Joes is just messin with you. He also owns a Ural! It certainly has crossed my mind that I am stupid to keep my Urals! I'm the eternal optimist...everytime I've fixed the latest bug - I think to myself, 'There. Now it's going to run great and be trouble free'

If that's not stupid, I don't know what is!
:D
LOL 3 Wheels thanks ..some of these guys are too uptight in life.i guess that's the final qualification on becoming a true Yuppie !!!!!!!!!!

#72 Beemerwhacked

Beemerwhacked

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:53 PM

Greg, on Nov 14 2006, 10:04 AM, said:

bigedf150, on Nov 14 2006, 07:53 AM, said:

Having read that site, all I can say is it's not a good plug for CJs, and the bikes owners have more money than sence! I mean the CJ is derived from the M-72 and they go to a Bavarian Money Waster dealer in Moscow paying Bavarian Money Waster prices when there are hundreds if not thousands of "oppozit" dealers who could have solved ALL their problems for less than $200! Be intersting to see if the bike does make the US.
  :huh: And if you read the entire site story you'll realize that they swapped the Chang engine for a Beemer one at Frank's.When is a Chang still a Chang and for that matter a Ural still a Ural after a conversion??
I spoke to a fellow at this years Bigfoot sidecar rally that went around the world on a 1980 Dnepr and wrote a book about his adventures.But and a big But in my eyes is that before he left he put in a R100RS engine and three Lester mags.Is it still a Dnepr?Or a modified Beemer.What percentage of parts makes it what.
I love the look of the Chang's but why are all dealers running in opposite directions of these bikes.I've watched several dealers in the States sell off and close down over the last three years.
I'm not so sure our own in town , Ural dealer , won't be gone in two to three years given the little knowledge they have of these bikes. :cry:

#73 bigedf150

bigedf150

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Guns, camping,hiking boating.fishing hunting,and of course bikes.

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:33 PM

i can think or two reasons dealers are running from the changs,

lack of parts support, and lack of research on finding a good builder..

:feelssogood:

the dragin run is as someone has already stated , had more money than sense thrown
at it... i love my chang but i know my limits, as well as its own....
1966 dnepr 2wd, democracy
2006 royal enfield electra x with vintage kit

1970 cj750 flattie solo x 2
1971 norton commando roadster

#74 GMBM

GMBM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, self sufficiency, canoe touring, gardening, computers, travel.
    Bikes & travel, looking at doing some more seriously slow, long distance international touring on our Ural Sidecar.
    Self sufficency, trying to live 100% out of a country back yard for fruit, vegetables, water and electricity. It's starting to come together at the moment.
    Canoe touring, the ability to totally get away from the smelly majority.

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:51 PM

Probably a bit off subject here have just read through the "Dragin Run" journals. I totally respect and envy Jack & Janet and don't have all the facts but think their problems may be quite easy trace back to some basics. The BMW engine which I assume included the BMW gearbox was a 750, an older power system designed to drive a fairly basic, smooth road commuter bike. They asked this old engine, gearbox and clutch system to take around 1,000lbs of bike, riders, sidecar and luggage through some of the most bike hostile country on the planet.
Where load and weight is considered it's not unlike taking your Toyota Corolla engine, clutch and transmission, puting it in a fully loaded Land Cruiser with a large trailer and taking it off road into Death Valley.
As I again say, I don't know the full story, I wish them all the luck in finishing their trip and I suspect, driven gently on paved roads, both  them and the bike will finish the job quite well.

P.S. I still reckon the Ural is the way we will go when we get to the US next year. Why, in Australia we enjoy the remote outback regions and would like to travel the US equivalents (desserts/mountains). I reckon this might be the domain of Ural bikes & Riders. And speed ?, I have ridden Harley's and BMW's over long distances over many years and prefer the less travelled roads and now, over 60, have no problems (in fact prefer) travelling at around 90kmh.
Graham & Julie Meyer
Willunga, South Australia

email:- gmjm@internode.on.net

www.thesunshineteam.com.au

If a man speaks in the woods and there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong ????

#75 Baxter's driver

Baxter's driver

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:2006 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100<br />2005 KLR 650<br />2004 Ural Tourist

Posted 15 November 2006 - 05:55 PM

John,
I just got back from two weeks vacation (alas, on four wheels not three.  Ural Ballast Babe just wasn't up for riding to AZ from OR in November) and read of your travails.

My '04 Tourist had Suddenly Silent Ural Syndrome.  The culprit was a poor connection from the ignition switch into the headlight bucket.  We put in a new ignition switch and then tweaked the prongs a bit that led into the connector in the headlight bucket.  Then we zip-tied the bejeezus out of the assembly to keep the male/female havles bonded.

No sudden dyings since...knock on wood.
Once you go hack, you'll never go back.

------------------------------------------
2004 Ural Tourist

tapping foot waiting for Ural ST to become available

2005 KLR 650 in faster, er, dustier red color

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users