Jump to content


Riding Vorona - She's being stubborn!


  • Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#31 JohnBG

JohnBG

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Joined:24-November 04
  • Location:Deltona, Florida, USA
  • Interests:Jesus, my family, Urals & AK-47s...

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:15 PM

Bilge Keel Dave, on Nov 12 2006, 08:05 PM, said:

JohnBG, on Nov 12 2006, 02:38 PM, said:

Unless the Hooter's bikini Ural repair team stops by with beer and wings, absolutely none!    ;)  
Gosh John, that's a great idea! Imagine the incredible increase in sales, if Ural came up with an agreement with Hooters for roadside service!

The mind boggles!

Dave
I agree!

If IMZ found a way to do a corporate partnership wiht Hooter's like this, they's sell a million bikes a year and nobody would complain about being stuck on the side of the road!   :surprise:

I'd be willing to bet that most guys would be sabotaging their rigs just to get stranded!  ;)  There would be complaints that the rigs weren't breaking down enough!  :o    

See, they just need me in their marketing department and it would all be good!  :lol:   Maybe the Dnepr factory is listening!  ;)
John Grocke (a.k.a. JohnBG)
1998.5 Ural Tourist 650 - "Valentina" - The Blonde
2006 Ural Raven 750 - "Vorona" - The Brunette

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#32 Peter

Peter

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Joined:26-September 06

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:38 PM

John will drive out the gremlin and a great achievement it will be (Toolbox will be long forgotten by then, hehe).
Driving out the fools is another matter though.
Hmm - did they bait me or am I baiting them. I do know that they are out there.....
Guess I have to step out and sit in the sidecar for a moment.
Dazed and confused - Peter

#33 Yobe

Yobe

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • Joined:30-December 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Motorcycles, History, Baseball (Go YANKEES!), sailing

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:33 PM

My first 3 months of Ural ownership were pure hell. My 2006 Tourist was having the same issues blowing fuses, the ignition fuse to be exact. Eventually it was trouble shot to the starter leads rubbing on the airbox and shorting out. Gene spiral wrapped em and it's been working great with no (I am knocking on wood) failures since April.

Best of luck.
Brandon Clonch a.k.a. Yobe
06 Tourist

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
- Benjamin Franklin 1759

#34 bigedf150

bigedf150

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Joined:01-February 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NE Ohio
  • Interests:Guns, camping,hiking boating.fishing hunting,and of course bikes.

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:43 PM

well at least you got the warranty, and a dealer who is willing to do whatever it takes
to make you happy, which you should be made happy with the money you paid.
possibly somethings pinched with the cover on or its getting too hot under there?
i remember reading a post on changjinag unlimited about drilling ahole on or around the front of the engine case for cooling electrics off, course with the warranty in place that may not be the best option for ya... bottom line i think the machine is a beaut and am confident you will get it resolved shortly.. ;) if it is still a problem two years from now
i will find the link for ya.. :lol:
1966 dnepr 2wd, democracy
2006 royal enfield electra x with vintage kit

1970 cj750 flattie solo x 2
1971 norton commando roadster

#35 joes

joes

    Active Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Joined:13-September 05

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:51 PM

JohnBG, on Nov 12 2006, 08:13 PM, said:

Beemerwhacked, on Nov 12 2006, 07:15 PM, said:

I kind of wonder if John regrets selling his Harley.
Nope not yet...   I do miss the Harley, don't get me wrong.  But I really like the Raven.

I can understand that a new owner unfamiliar with Urals, might get highly aggrivated that a new rig isn't "gas & go".  It really should be.  I'm not excusing it.  I'm not happy about it.  But after two years experience with Urals, I did expect it.  Holopaw Gene is doing everything he can to make it right.  But it shoulda been right from the factory.
man i wish i had your patience........

#36 randymilton01

randymilton01

    Active Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Joined:01-November 06

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:21 AM

Glad you like the bike & I am sure sh*t even happens with new Caddys,but more pictures of the girl & bike & less pictures of the dude with the goofy smile would be apreteated..... ;)  ;)  ;)

#37 JohnBG

JohnBG

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Joined:24-November 04
  • Location:Deltona, Florida, USA
  • Interests:Jesus, my family, Urals & AK-47s...

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:27 AM

joes, on Nov 12 2006, 10:51 PM, said:

JohnBG, on Nov 12 2006, 08:13 PM, said:

Beemerwhacked, on Nov 12 2006, 07:15 PM, said:

I kind of wonder if John regrets selling his Harley.
Nope not yet...   I do miss the Harley, don't get me wrong.  But I really like the Raven.

I can understand that a new owner unfamiliar with Urals, might get highly aggrivated that a new rig isn't "gas & go".  It really should be.  I'm not excusing it.  I'm not happy about it.  But after two years experience with Urals, I did expect it.  Holopaw Gene is doing everything he can to make it right.  But it shoulda been right from the factory.
man i wish i had your patience........
I'm not really a patient person.  This kinda bugs me, but thre's not much I can do about it.  Gene is making it right.

Maybe because I have another Ural to ride, it's not driving me totally ballastic!   ;)
John Grocke (a.k.a. JohnBG)
1998.5 Ural Tourist 650 - "Valentina" - The Blonde
2006 Ural Raven 750 - "Vorona" - The Brunette

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#38 Yobe

Yobe

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • Joined:30-December 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Motorcycles, History, Baseball (Go YANKEES!), sailing

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:36 AM

Patience John.... I was told this about 100 times when my rig spent more time at Gene's than my place. I was so aggravated I had the cycle trader ad filled out and was ready to hit "send" but did not.

She has been running like a champ since April and all the gremilns were exorcised. It took 3 solid months of breakdowns and trials on my "new" 2006 rig before she started running worth a Sh*t.

I still think it's a load of crap that a "new" rig has all these issues. Someone plunks down 8 - 10 grand on something... it should run.
Brandon Clonch a.k.a. Yobe
06 Tourist

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
- Benjamin Franklin 1759

#39 JohnBG

JohnBG

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Joined:24-November 04
  • Location:Deltona, Florida, USA
  • Interests:Jesus, my family, Urals & AK-47s...

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:08 AM

Yobe, on Nov 13 2006, 09:36 AM, said:

Patience John.... I was told this about 100 times when my rig spent more time at Gene's than my place. I was so aggravated I had the cycle trader ad filled out and was ready to hit "send" but did not.

She has been running like a champ since April and all the gremilns were exorcised. It took 3 solid months of breakdowns and trials on my "new" 2006 rig before she started running worth a Sh*t.

I still think it's a load of crap that a "new" rig has all these issues. Someone plunks down 8 - 10 grand on something... it should run.
I still gotta backup Ural.  If this was my only rig, I'd be a lot more agitated.

Glaser was joking with me that since I got two rigs, I oughta tow one Ural with the other, so if one breaks I can ride the other on and tow the broken one!   :lol:

Gene is shipping me new parts. They should be here tomorrow.  Maybe this will cure it?   :huh:

I agree with ya.  For $10K folks in the US expect it to work without gremlins.  Yeah, I know from time to time a lemon rolls offa the Mercedes assembly line, but that's the exception and not the rule.  With Urals if you get a bike that's totally gremlin free, thats a rarity.   >:(

I kinda knew that going in.  I was hoping I would be wrong though.

None of this is Gene's doing, it's on the factory IMHO.

But I have no plans of ditching Vorona, When I do ride it, it makes me smile!  :D
John Grocke (a.k.a. JohnBG)
1998.5 Ural Tourist 650 - "Valentina" - The Blonde
2006 Ural Raven 750 - "Vorona" - The Brunette

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#40 AceRph

AceRph

    Active Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Joined:10-October 06
  • Location:Creston, CA

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:09 AM

I've got about 2000km on my Patrol that I bought in October. The only issues have been a failed flasher unit & an oil leak from the oil filter cover. Ski sent out a new flasher unit right away. Works fine & is sending out a couple of new O-rings for the filter cover.

Everything else is working just right.

You'll get it sorted out John. I can understand the frustration, though. The anticipation, finally the delivery, and now a confounding problem.

Hopefully the new cover & coil will be the solution.

#41 Dubliner15

Dubliner15

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  • Joined:29-August 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sverige
  • Interests:Bikes, beer and babes... and flight simulators...<br><br>Books, books, dogs, beer (did I already mention beer?) beer, and the rustier things in life :)

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:18 AM

Funny that the word 'excorcised' keeps popping up....

You think you might have some sort of demonic influence under your front cover John?

Those godless ex-commies might've rubbed off on your blackbird.... perhaps it's time to break out the crucifix and distilled water ;)

Surely it wouldn't hurt, anyway.....

Just a thunkathon :)

Dub
ДЧ6

::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1990 Dnepr OHV 'Fidelma' - K750 tank, K68 carbs, five coats of black paint, lots of tinkering and some expert advice.
1991 Dnepr OHV 'Brandbilen' - work in progress - RAL 7021 make-up on an underused pig.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Dub's Dnepr

Russian bikes are not a mode of transport - they are a test of character.

It's always DneprTime

#42 JohnBG

JohnBG

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Joined:24-November 04
  • Location:Deltona, Florida, USA
  • Interests:Jesus, my family, Urals &amp; AK-47s...

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:23 AM

Dubliner15, on Nov 13 2006, 10:18 AM, said:

Funny that the word 'excorcised' keeps popping up....

You think you might have some sort of demonic influence under your front cover John?

Those godless ex-commies might've rubbed off on your blackbird.... perhaps it's time to break out the crucifix and distilled water ;)

Surely it wouldn't hurt, anyway.....

Just a thunkathon :)

Dub
I haven't had the chance to have some of my CMA buddies to come over and do a prober bike blessing yet.  

Justt added that to my "to do" list.  Thanks Dub.
John Grocke (a.k.a. JohnBG)
1998.5 Ural Tourist 650 - "Valentina" - The Blonde
2006 Ural Raven 750 - "Vorona" - The Brunette

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#43 Dubliner15

Dubliner15

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  • Joined:29-August 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sverige
  • Interests:Bikes, beer and babes... and flight simulators...<br><br>Books, books, dogs, beer (did I already mention beer?) beer, and the rustier things in life :)

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:31 AM

Bet you never thunk I'd advocate a bike blessing :D

When on two or three wheels we need all the help we can get - from every quarter....

;)

DubCatholicGuiltComplex
ДЧ6

::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1990 Dnepr OHV 'Fidelma' - K750 tank, K68 carbs, five coats of black paint, lots of tinkering and some expert advice.
1991 Dnepr OHV 'Brandbilen' - work in progress - RAL 7021 make-up on an underused pig.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Dub's Dnepr

Russian bikes are not a mode of transport - they are a test of character.

It's always DneprTime

#44 csbdr

csbdr

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Joined:15-May 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Saratoga Springs, NY
  • Interests:Bikes, flyfishing, riding to flyfishing, bluegrass, playing guitar and banjo, my boy (should have put him first!), camping

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:07 AM

joes, on Nov 12 2006, 05:19 PM, said:

JohnBG, on Nov 12 2006, 01:29 PM, said:

bigedf150, on Nov 12 2006, 08:09 AM, said:

OOPS... Caps....

You'll have it sussed in no time.

Does bike prep not include a 10 or 20 km ride to make sure everything is working?

If I was selling these bikes I'd do that if I had the time. Looks bad when a shiny new bike stalls for no apparent reason

very excellent point dubski, a shake down cruise is exactly what it needed.

when my chang came over from across the pond they had put 300 miles on it,and each chang i have gotten since then has at least 50 to 100 klicks on it. does this ensure
that it will never break, no, but if they got time and you got the patience let them ride it a bit i say :thumbsup:
The rig haa 22km on it when I took delivery, but Gene said he only took it on a short ride to the gas station (which is less than a mile from his place) and back.   He said he used to take them on longer rides but some new owners were getting pi$$y that their new rigs came with 50 or 60 km on them so he stopped doing tht.

Heck, I wouldn't have cared if Gene put 100km on it so long as all of the bugs were out of it.  ;)   It's not Gene's fault. $#!+ happens.  I'm not happy about it, but at least I can ride it, with the front cover off...
i've been there and done that.that's what's so frustrating.a person can't go out for a 20 mile ride without having problems.i finally got rid of my Ural.i live near a Ural dealer who is constantly fixing the problems.he sells other major brands of motorcycles.he has about had it too  with all the frustrations they bring.can you just imagine being a Ural dealer and being asked to ride the bike for about 200 miles or so.all the problems you would have to fix you wouldn't be making any money.when you break down near where i am usually a motorcycle tow is $150.00 to $250.00 now !!!!!!!!!!! i have enough to do in life now without working on that junk i had almost every other time i took it out..so this is my Ural rant and rave..that's where i was coming from.....good luck.......
Dude, if you hate urals that much, why are you on this board? Not to say your opinion isn't welcome, mind you, but why bother if you think they are not only RPOC (which we all admit) but not even worth owning?  We love them FOR the quirkiness.  If I wanted anything else, I'd ride my Yamaha ALL THE TIME (which I don't) - Chris
2002 Ural Tourist - "Pikop Andropov" 29,500
2003 Yamaha RoadStar
2009 Royal Enfield C5

#45 MartyL

MartyL

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Joined:14-June 06

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:51 PM

csbdr, on Nov 13 2006, 11:07 AM, said:

joes, on Nov 12 2006, 05:19 PM, said:

JohnBG, on Nov 12 2006, 01:29 PM, said:

bigedf150, on Nov 12 2006, 08:09 AM, said:

OOPS... Caps....

You'll have it sussed in no time.

Does bike prep not include a 10 or 20 km ride to make sure everything is working?

If I was selling these bikes I'd do that if I had the time. Looks bad when a shiny new bike stalls for no apparent reason

very excellent point dubski, a shake down cruise is exactly what it needed.

when my chang came over from across the pond they had put 300 miles on it,and each chang i have gotten since then has at least 50 to 100 klicks on it. does this ensure
that it will never break, no, but if they got time and you got the patience let them ride it a bit i say :thumbsup:
The rig haa 22km on it when I took delivery, but Gene said he only took it on a short ride to the gas station (which is less than a mile from his place) and back.   He said he used to take them on longer rides but some new owners were getting pi$$y that their new rigs came with 50 or 60 km on them so he stopped doing tht.

Heck, I wouldn't have cared if Gene put 100km on it so long as all of the bugs were out of it.  ;)   It's not Gene's fault. $#!+ happens.  I'm not happy about it, but at least I can ride it, with the front cover off...
i've been there and done that.that's what's so frustrating.a person can't go out for a 20 mile ride without having problems.i finally got rid of my Ural.i live near a Ural dealer who is constantly fixing the problems.he sells other major brands of motorcycles.he has about had it too  with all the frustrations they bring.can you just imagine being a Ural dealer and being asked to ride the bike for about 200 miles or so.all the problems you would have to fix you wouldn't be making any money.when you break down near where i am usually a motorcycle tow is $150.00 to $250.00 now !!!!!!!!!!! i have enough to do in life now without working on that junk i had almost every other time i took it out..so this is my Ural rant and rave..that's where i was coming from.....good luck.......
Dude, if you hate urals that much, why are you on this board? Not to say your opinion isn't welcome, mind you, but why bother if you think they are not only RPOC (which we all admit) but not even worth owning?  We love them FOR the quirkiness.  If I wanted anything else, I'd ride my Yamaha ALL THE TIME (which I don't) - Chris
I agree, if your experiences with your bike have you that upset,move on. We all have our opinions but no one should get personal. Calling someone, "Stupid" is just plain rude. It's like being invited over someones house, $hiting on their living room rug and then complaining about the meal they just fed you. If you don't like your Ural experience , chaulk it up to an experience, and pick another bike that suits you. But don't , "dog" others who enjoy thier Urals. We know what we have and we enjoy our rides. The Gremlins and the other things go with it. Nothing in life is perfect. I don't expect perfection in anything. Yes, Q.C. out the door by the factory on a new bike should and could be better. I'm optimistic by nature, but I knew what I bought when I bought my bike. To me, it's all fun.
Peace....God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom.
Marty
2005 Patrol Sold.
2010 Gear Up. In the Garage! Whoo!!! Hoo!!!
1976 Yamaha XS 650C




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users