#16 Big Mike

Big Mike

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:46 PM

John,

I guess you can officially give Vorona her family last name just like Valentina.
2006 Tourist (black) - "The Proletariat Chariot"

#17 joes

joes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 01:33 AM

JohnBG, on Nov 11 2006, 10:44 PM, said:

greenmachine, on Nov 11 2006, 06:51 PM, said:

Check , tighten and grease the plug connectors on the ignition system including all the wires. Yer apparently shorting something to ground. Stop doing that. It's bad form.
I checked the wiring inside the coil housing.  Everything seems tight.  :huh:

The only connector I really couldn't check is the one from the rotor plate to the exterior type V ignition puck.  That connector is wedged behind the plate.

When all this happens and I am on the side of the road, I do look at the puck and get blinky, blinky blinky red LED when I thumb the starter, which I guess is a good thing.
Best advice is to sell that junk and get a different make bike.or are you just that stupid ?

#18 Dubliner15

Dubliner15

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, beer and babes... and flight simulators...<br><br>Books, books, dogs, beer (did I already mention beer?) beer, and the rustier things in life :)

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:26 AM

i'LL GIVE YA A THOUSAND BUCKS FOR IT jOHN ;)

OOPS... Caps....

You'll have it sussed in no time.

Does bike prep not include a 10 or 20 km ride to make sure everything is working?

If I was selling these bikes I'd do that if I had the time. Looks bad when a shiny new bike stalls for no apparent reason.

But as Kermi says - if'n ya had the toolbox tank and black mufflers this wouldnae a happened ;)

Hope you find that gremlin soon m8!

Dub
ДЧ6

::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1990 Dnepr OHV 'Fidelma' - K750 tank, K68 carbs, five coats of black paint, lots of tinkering and some expert advice.
1991 Dnepr OHV 'Brandbilen' - work in progress - RAL 7021 make-up on an underused pig.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Dub's Dnepr

Russian bikes are not a mode of transport - they are a test of character.

It's always DneprTime

#19 bigedf150

bigedf150

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Guns, camping,hiking boating.fishing hunting,and of course bikes.

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:09 AM

OOPS... Caps....

Does bike prep not include a 10 or 20 km ride to make sure everything is working?

If I was selling these bikes I'd do that if I had the time. Looks bad when a shiny new bike stalls for no apparent reason

very excellent point dubski, a shake down cruise is exactly what it needed.

when my chang came over from across the pond they had put 300 miles on it,and each chang i have gotten since then has at least 50 to 100 klicks on it. does this ensure
that it will never break, no, but if they got time and you got the patience let them ride it a bit i say :thumbsup:
1966 dnepr 2wd, democracy
2006 royal enfield electra x with vintage kit

1970 cj750 flattie solo x 2
1971 norton commando roadster

#20 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, my family, Urals &amp; AK-47s...

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:36 AM

joes, on Nov 12 2006, 01:33 AM, said:

JohnBG, on Nov 11 2006, 10:44 PM, said:

greenmachine, on Nov 11 2006, 06:51 PM, said:

Check , tighten and grease the plug connectors on the ignition system including all the wires. Yer apparently shorting something to ground. Stop doing that. It's bad form.
I checked the wiring inside the coil housing.  Everything seems tight.  :huh:

The only connector I really couldn't check is the one from the rotor plate to the exterior type V ignition puck.  That connector is wedged behind the plate.

When all this happens and I am on the side of the road, I do look at the puck and get blinky, blinky blinky red LED when I thumb the starter, which I guess is a good thing.
Best advice is to sell that junk and get a different make bike.or are you just that stupid ?
Well good morning sunshine!  Who defecated in your high fiber breakfast cereal this morning?  ;)

Are you trying to be funny?   :huh:    If so, I guess I missed the humor.
John Grocke (a.k.a. JohnBG)
1998.5 Ural Tourist 650 - "Valentina" - The Blonde
2006 Ural Raven 750 - "Vorona" - The Brunette

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#21 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 12 November 2006 - 01:03 PM

Ok guys, at high frustration levels ( like the bugger ain't doin right) it's not fair to ###### in the post toasties, gotta give John  time to get this bugger by the throat, choke the pootie out of it, then beat it into submission, 'member when your's was misbehaven, 'course Dnepr's never do this...............I feel the dagger in the heart  John, please don't twist it tho :blink: .... :thumbsup:

#22 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 01:29 PM

bigedf150, on Nov 12 2006, 08:09 AM, said:

OOPS... Caps....

If I was selling these bikes I'd do that if I had the time. Looks bad when a shiny new bike stalls for no apparent reason

when my chang came over from across the pond they had put 300 miles on it,and each chang i have gotten since then has at least 50 to 100 klicks on it. does this ensure
that it will never break, no, but if they got time and you got the patience let them ride it a bit i say :thumbsup:
The rig haa 22km on it when I took delivery, but Gene said he only took it on a short ride to the gas station (which is less than a mile from his place) and back.   He said he used to take them on longer rides but some new owners were getting pi$$y that their new rigs came with 50 or 60 km on them so he stopped doing tht.

Heck, I wouldn't have cared if Gene put 100km on it so long as all of the bugs were out of it.  ;)   It's not Gene's fault. $#!+ happens.  I'm not happy about it, but at least I can ride it, with the front cover off...

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#23 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 01:32 PM

Big Mike, on Nov 11 2006, 11:46 PM, said:

John,

I guess you can officially give Vorona her family last name just like Valentina.
Maybe...  When I was on the side of the road the first time the "Pezovshyt" surname was spoken a few times!  :o  :lol:  ;)

#24 soberjoe

soberjoe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:Church and family come first; then motorcycles and RV's.

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:50 PM

Hope things are improving for ya Bro. I wonder how many Ural owners had a new bike that didn't need some work? It's all part of the Ural package. I had to fixs some oil leaks right off the bat. And that was on top of the crazy idle and of course re-jetting issues. Even my wife tells people don't buy a Ural unless you enjoy tinkering on things. Heck John, you got a special edition Raven from one of the best dealers in Ural land. Your a lucky guy. I know I'll stay tune to hear about the things you find in order to help me when they go wrong on my bike. Hope to see you soon.

#25 joes

joes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:19 PM

JohnBG, on Nov 12 2006, 01:29 PM, said:

OOPS... Caps....

The rig haa 22km on it when I took delivery, but Gene said he only took it on a short ride to the gas station (which is less than a mile from his place) and back.   He said he used to take them on longer rides but some new owners were getting pi$$y that their new rigs came with 50 or 60 km on them so he stopped doing tht.

Heck, I wouldn't have cared if Gene put 100km on it so long as all of the bugs were out of it.  ;)   It's not Gene's fault. $#!+ happens.  I'm not happy about it, but at least I can ride it, with the front cover off...
i've been there and done that.that's what's so frustrating.a person can't go out for a 20 mile ride without having problems.i finally got rid of my Ural.i live near a Ural dealer who is constantly fixing the problems.he sells other major brands of motorcycles.he has about had it too  with all the frustrations they bring.can you just imagine being a Ural dealer and being asked to ride the bike for about 200 miles or so.all the problems you would have to fix you wouldn't be making any money.when you break down near where i am usually a motorcycle tow is $150.00 to $250.00 now !!!!!!!!!!! i have enough to do in life now without working on that junk i had almost every other time i took it out..so this is my Ural rant and rave..that's where i was coming from.....good luck.......

#26 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:38 PM

soberjoe, on Nov 12 2006, 02:50 PM, said:

Hope things are improving for ya Bro. I wonder how many Ural owners had a new bike that didn't need some work? It's all part of the Ural package. I had to fixs some oil leaks right off the bat. And that was on top of the crazy idle and of course re-jetting issues. Even my wife tells people don't buy a Ural unless you enjoy tinkering on things. Heck John, you got a special edition Raven from one of the best dealers in Ural land. Your a lucky guy. I know I'll stay tune to hear about the things you find in order to help me when they go wrong on my bike. Hope to see you soon.
Hey, I had a lot of experience with the 650 the past two years to know that the new rig was not going ot be toally gremlin-free and and cosy-rosy.  

I knew what I was getting into and expected a few "oh-noes" during the break in period.

Gene is shipping me another coil and a plastic front cover.  If these don't cure it, I'll load it up and take it to Gene's place.    He's a "whatever it takes guy" and when I talked to him he was all apologetic.  I told him he had nothing to be sorry for, and that stuff like this happens.  If anything deserves a blame, maybe the factory.

It couldn't have picked a worse time to $#!+ the bed than with the missus in the sidecar.   Now she's all worried every time I go out on it.  I tell her "How much trouble can I get into stuck on the side of the road?"  :lol:   Unless the Hooter's bikini Ural repair team stops by with beer and wings, absolutely none!    ;)  

I gotta say these new '06 rigs are quite a bit different than the old 650.  But then they are so much the same.

#27 Beemerwhacked

Beemerwhacked

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 07:15 PM

joes, on Nov 12 2006, 05:19 PM, said:

JohnBG, on Nov 12 2006, 01:29 PM, said:

OOPS... Caps....

i've been there and done that.that's what's so frustrating.a person can't go out for a 20 mile ride without having problems.i finally got rid of my Ural.i live near a Ural dealer who is constantly fixing the problems.he sells other major brands of motorcycles.he has about had it too  with all the frustrations they bring.can you just imagine being a Ural dealer and being asked to ride the bike for about 200 miles or so.all the problems you would have to fix you wouldn't be making any money.when you break down near where i am usually a motorcycle tow is $150.00 to $250.00 now !!!!!!!!!!! i have enough to do in life now without working on that junk i had almost every other time i took it out..so this is my Ural rant and rave..that's where i was coming from.....good luck.......
Perspective buyers won't be impressed but that said "a Ural is just that a Ural".The new dealer here in Edmonton knew nothing about their history,their quirks etc.Makes me wonder why a Harley chopper shop got into it at all.And I kind of wonder if John regrets selling his Harley.
I bought my Beemer after six years of constant breakdowns on my Enfield.But the great Beemer has this summer suffered
a) loss of hydralic brake fluid due to a fitting cracking
B) Loss of horns due to electrical short
c) loss of charging due to a rotor burnout
d)Loss of turn signals due to another short
e) seriuos loss of oil due to a cracked sending unit
f)Broken choke cable
not to mention that any of these faults takes hours if not days to fix due to the RS fairing,and that these failures happened after the previous owner spent $15,000 on the rebuild.
I have found no one willing to work on it,parts are hard to find,and very expensive.
But do I sell it to buy yet another bag of worms?
Wishing you luck John.

#28 Berlin56

Berlin56

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:The Outdoors nature,Deerhunting canoing boating Diving Camping Airplanes,Oldcars,Motorcycle <br />Romantic evenings at the fireplace

Posted 12 November 2006 - 07:26 PM

? Where is John B??I hope not on a side road ,out of cell phone range.It is 6:30 here in Central Canada and no sign of John....

Sorry John to hear of all the mishaps /gremlins  you're having with Verona.
My 2003 Canadian Cruiser, I bought with 800 km on it, two yrs old.The Bmw Dealer who sold it on consignment, Did not want to be involved with any repairs or warranty. I am No where near a dealer. The only one I have dealt with so far is Lutz Kotzwit from Nova Scotia. He's a great guy to deal with in Canada. Sends the item first and then asks for payment.
Anyways, what I'd like to say is you guys are my source of troubleshooting for my Ural. I'm now on 9500 km and no major problems thanks to you guys. I was always able to avoid mishaps before they happened. Or maybe I'm just lucky.
Hang in there, I'm with you
Gerry

#29 Bilge Keel Dave

Bilge Keel Dave

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • Interests:Beautiful Wife, Beer, Bikes, Boats, Books, British Cars.

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:05 PM

JohnBG, on Nov 12 2006, 02:38 PM, said:

Unless the Hooter's bikini Ural repair team stops by with beer and wings, absolutely none!    ;)
Gosh John, that's a great idea! Imagine the incredible increase in sales, if Ural came up with an agreement with Hooters for roadside service!

The mind boggles!

Dave
RAMCO Dnepr MT-16

#30 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:13 PM

Beemerwhacked, on Nov 12 2006, 07:15 PM, said:

I kind of wonder if John regrets selling his Harley.
Nope not yet...   I do miss the Harley, don't get me wrong.  But I really like the Raven.

I can understand that a new owner unfamiliar with Urals, might get highly aggrivated that a new rig isn't "gas & go".  It really should be.  I'm not excusing it.  I'm not happy about it.  But after two years experience with Urals, I did expect it.  Holopaw Gene is doing everything he can to make it right.  But it shoulda been right from the factory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users