• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, my family, Urals & AK-47s...

Posted 11 November 2006 - 04:51 PM

Well today, I took Vorona for it's first real ride.  The kids were at a weekend camp and so it was just the missus and I.  So we thought we would ride around and get some lunch.  Absolutely gorgeous day for a ride here, 80 degrees and sunny!  

My thought was to take a bunch of mini-rides to let the new engine break-in and go thru a few heating/cooling cycles.  We first rode to the local Veteran's Memorial park about 5 miles away to pay tribute and reflect on what the sacrificed.  Thanks Vets!  No problems on that leg of the ride.

From there we took the scenic rout down by Lake Monroe, putting along mostly between 35 and 40mph.  After about 15km I stopped at a little sady sopt on the side of the road to let the engine cool and take some pictures.

After a 10minute rest, we were off again and avout 10km later while riding down a deserted country road a 45mph the engine just died!  :o   No sputtering, no funky noises, no burning smells.  Sounded like you hit the kill switch.  Just a loss of ignition.  After about 10 minutes of alternating head/butt scratching and looking at things (got gas, got juice to all the lights, starter turns, motor moves freely, got blinky light on the ignition, pulled and checked all the fuses).

I decide to pull the front rotor/coil cover and see if there is anything out of place there.  My best guess is something in the wiring or ignition was grounded or disconnected.    I tried calling Bill Glaser and Holopaw Gene and left messages for both of them.

I pulled the ignition module off the perch (where the horn is on my 650) and let it hang, pulled the front cover and wiggled all the wires.  I wanted to see if the rotor was turning, so I just turned the key on and thimbed the starter for a sec, and the bike fires to life!  :D   Not sure what the problem was there.    Just to be sure I shut the engine off and tried her again and it fired up immediately.  :D   Freakin' mystery why it stalled.

So I put the rotor/coil cover back on (it's metal - why not plastic?) and put the igniton module back on and go to fire it up and the starter wont work!  >:cheers:   I got hed lights and running lights and turn signals, but no alternator, high beam, or nuetral dash lights!

Glaser called me on the celly and told me to check the wiring to the battery and the wires that plug into the alternator.  All those seem OK.   My next thought was maybe that when I was swinging the handlebars back and forth to get to the frint rotor cover bolts maybe something came loose in the wiring harness.   So i pulled the headlight to take a look in the bucket.  There's a white plastic connector there that's loose but it doesn't plug into and a red wire with a female smade connector loose that doesn't go anywhere, but there's no place for those to plug into.  :cry:  

I dragged out the manual outta the trunk and it's pretty useless!  The wiring diaram is all in black and white and squished down to fit on a single sheet of paper and ya can barely read the lettering!  >:(    Funny thing is, I printed out the wiring diagram callison posed a link to in color on 11"x17" paer at work earlier in the week, but I left it on my desk! What a dummy!

I decide to pul the front rotor cover again, just to see if I pinched anything or monkeyed something up putting it back.  About that time, Gene calls.  I explain the lack of electricity to him and he asks me to check the fuses.  I checked them earlier before I pulled the front cover I told him.  He said to check them again.  There's a 5A circuit, that I guess picks the relay for the starter and lights most of the dash lights.  Sure enough that fuse was blown.  Gene said I might have pinched the small wire that comes out of the top of the rotor/coil cover.  I pulled one of the 5A fuses outta the accessory box in the sidecar, popped it in there and viola she fires to life.

Since the missus is now hot and been listening to me mutter and curse for the better part of an hour.  I decide to leave the front cover off and just remount the ignition module.  Threw the front cover in the hack, she hopped in tthe tub, I hopped on the bike and off we rode again!   :D

Stopped at a convienience stor a few miles up the road, got some cold drinks and then my wife says "maybe we should go home", which in SWMBO-speak means "were going home".  Fired it up no problem and we cruised about 20 km home at 45-50 mph without incident.  It's a fun sweet running machine.  I am very happy with it.

Other than that one side of the road session, no other problems.  The rig feels like its really having to pull to get to 50mph.  That mid range throttle area seems a little flat.  But I am successfully resisting the urge to tinker with anything until I get a few hundred km on it.   I'm waiting for it to cool down before I put the fron cover back on it.  Maybe I ouhgha get one of them plastic ones?

I still have no idea what caused the initial stall.  Not sure if the blown fuse problem had anything to do with it.

I had hoped that the maiden voyage, especially with the missus would have gone better.  Now she's all freaky that were gonna get stuck.  I had to explain to her that it would not be a proper Ural trip without one of these stops!   :surprise:   Ural - the ultamite adventure rig!

Pic of the missus in the hack (before the side of the road session):

Attached Files

John Grocke (a.k.a. JohnBG)
1998.5 Ural Tourist 650 - "Valentina" - The Blonde
2006 Ural Raven 750 - "Vorona" - The Brunette

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#2 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, my family, Urals & AK-47s...

Posted 11 November 2006 - 04:53 PM

Goofy looking dood posing on the Raven (before the side of the road session):

Attached Files

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#3 Dubliner15

Dubliner15

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, beer and babes... and flight simulators...<br><br>Books, books, dogs, beer (did I already mention beer?) beer, and the rustier things in life :)

Posted 11 November 2006 - 05:00 PM

Nice to hear you solved the problem(s). I hope the rest of the break-in goes smoother!

Ya see - it's not just old Dneprs that have those 'roadside moments'

;)

Dubnepr
ДЧ6

::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1990 Dnepr OHV 'Fidelma' - K750 tank, K68 carbs, five coats of black paint, lots of tinkering and some expert advice.
1991 Dnepr OHV 'Brandbilen' - work in progress - RAL 7021 make-up on an underused pig.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Dub's Dnepr

Russian bikes are not a mode of transport - they are a test of character.

It's always DneprTime

#4 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, my family, Urals &amp; AK-47s...

Posted 11 November 2006 - 05:25 PM

Just went out to the garage and put the front rotor/coil cover bak on.  Fired right up.   B)  :D

Not sure why she stalled before.   :huh:

I'm glad to see that they kept the gremlins in the '06 model.  That was nice of Irbit!  :lol:

#5 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 05:55 PM

Another update! :cry:

I just left on the rig to take the missus to dinner.  We literally didn't gt two minutes from the house and Vorona stalled the same way.  Like I hit the kill switch (which I didn't).  

No fuse popping this time.  So I can surmise that the fuse blew last time when I put the cover back on and grounded or pinched something.

Got the tools out at the side of the road, removed the front rotor/coil cover and she fired right up!  SWMBO says "we're going home".  

I don't get it.  Any ideas?  It's a new '06 with a type IV ignition.  Works fine wiith the cover off.

Strange!  :o

Anyhow I'm taking the missus to dinner now, in the truck!  :cry:

#6 greenmachine

greenmachine

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 06:51 PM

LOL....!!
That stuff wouldn't happen if ya had a toolbox tank......

;-)

Check , tighten and grease the plug connectors on the ignition system including all the wires. Yer apparently shorting something to ground. Stop doing that. It's bad form.

OR, it could be the weight of the monkey causing the engine case to torque around and short the hot lead going to the ignition. Tell her that and see what response ya get.

kermitski
Former Frog-Meister
Rode around the block a couple times
and got rid of that goofy thing...

#7 wyowillys46

wyowillys46

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Classic vehicles & Firearms collecting. The two best ways to drain your wallet.

Posted 11 November 2006 - 07:07 PM

I noticed the extra wire and connector under my headlight also. I think they're for the non-existant right side turn signal.
Morgan

2006 Gear-Up

#8 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 11 November 2006 - 07:24 PM

WAHOOO, FIGURED IT OUT FOR YA jOHN, That raven, just wanted to stop by the side of the road, to visit with some real ravens -_- ...ok ok I'll be nice, would you think that removing the cover would cool the ign components to make a difference? seems to be a pattern there...hang with it, its a sorting out process, with Kermi's and bill's help...can't go wrong....Ken

#9 bigedf150

bigedf150

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Guns, camping,hiking boating.fishing hunting,and of course bikes.

Posted 11 November 2006 - 07:24 PM

on my chang if that hapens i have a reset circuit breaker that trips.
isstead of replacing fuses i just reset the box. not tryin to be a smart ass, john,
but like yourself i had to search around the bike until i found the magic box and then find the dang reset throwover switch.  on the dnepr i have a main amp fuse
that blows every once in awhile, and gotta pull and replace it occasionaly.  :o
hey ones strung with japernese, the other with good ole american wiring, and both arent flawless, this probably doesnt help ya much, but the chang coil is mounted out in the breeze maybe cause it had issues at one time.
1966 dnepr 2wd, democracy
2006 royal enfield electra x with vintage kit

1970 cj750 flattie solo x 2
1971 norton commando roadster

#10 mr_ural

mr_ural

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 07:47 PM

Personally, I think it's a female issue ... Your wife, your new mistress, who will get the most attention :o
Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best regards

Rod in Tucson

'06 Harley XL1200R - "Abby"

"How great life is if you just accept the small gifts and don't waste time on wishes."- Clinton "Bubba" Hare,  Airheads Beemer Club
"OOP ... ACK ... THHHPT" - Bill the Cat

#11 sprintstrider

sprintstrider

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Jesus and the Last Days, sailing, snowshoeing, sport touring, my wife!!

Posted 11 November 2006 - 08:35 PM

Dear John,

I don't know if this will help, but there is also the ground wire that runs up under the fuel tank and the connector apparatus sure sucks. The ground leads through the top of the metal cover through a notch. I was having a similar experience with my 06 patrol, and I finally figured out that when I put on the cover it would put slight tension on the wire and pull the connector and make poor contact when I turned the handlebars full lock because the wiring harness was slighly tight under the tank.

It was so frustrating because I couldn't figure it out and all looked well. Hope this helps.    

I like reading your updates, it helps me to know how you're experiencing things on the 06 models.

be well Eric
Sprint ST Rider
2001 Triumph Sprint ST-SOLD
2005 Triumph Thruxton- SOLD
2006 Ural Patrol-Made in the land of Magog

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with me." Jesus Christ- letter to the lukewarm church-- Revelation 3:20  

Anyone ever ask themselves, "why is Jesus on the outside of the church door???"

#12 Rob_W

Rob_W

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:29 PM

I had some problems with the relays near the battery on my 06 tourist. the wiring harness is tightly wrapped with this black mesh, and some of the connectors were pulling themself out under the tension.
-2006 Ural Tourist
-2000 Aprilia Rs-50
-1994 Honda CBR-600F2

#13 IMZman

IMZman

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:28 PM

Yeah John...I think it's going to be the 12v "in" wire like we discussed. The one from the coil that "disappears" under the tank. Probably like the guys above have said, the cover pulls it a bit and the connector is not tight. Makes sense as it is the only thing you have not been able to inspect. Might be time to pop the tank off....

Or...electrical tape like we talked about...and Randy used.
Bill Glaser
2002 Patrol "CYKA"
200,000+ km's since May 2002
Click here to go to: "The Unofficial URAL 750cc Service Manual"

#14 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:38 PM

Bill Glaser, on Nov 11 2006, 10:28 PM, said:

Yeah John...I think it's going to be the 12v "in" wire like we discussed. The one from the coil that "disappears" under the tank. Probably like the guys above have said, the cover pulls it a bit and the connector is not tight. Makes sense as it is the only thing you have not been able to inspect. Might be time to pop the tank off....

Or...electrical tape like we talked about...and Randy used.
I traced that one black wire that runs from the coil and goes thru the top of the rotor/coil cover that runs under the tank.  It's a single black wire going to a black 2-part connector.  There is no 2nd part to the connector!  It's two pink wires w/ black tracers (that I think go back to the alternator) that are crimped together with a spade terminal of some kind.  It looks like kind of a contrived setup.  I can barely reach them, but I can see them.  

I started the bike and reached my finger up there and was pushing on them and got a little jolt!  :o   I'm pretty sure it came from there but I mighta bumped the coil.  I might have to loosen the front bolts of the tank to get a better look up there.  Maybe I found something, maybe I didn't.  

Bill - if you're not flying tomorrow, maybe we could take a peek at it.  :help:

#15 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:44 PM

greenmachine, on Nov 11 2006, 06:51 PM, said:

Check , tighten and grease the plug connectors on the ignition system including all the wires. Yer apparently shorting something to ground. Stop doing that. It's bad form.
I checked the wiring inside the coil housing.  Everything seems tight.  :huh:

The only connector I really couldn't check is the one from the rotor plate to the exterior type V ignition puck.  That connector is wedged behind the plate.

When all this happens and I am on the side of the road, I do look at the puck and get blinky, blinky blinky red LED when I thumb the starter, which I guess is a good thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users