38 replies to this topic

#1 twobytwoplusone

twobytwoplusone

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:55 AM

I own a ural patrol 750cc 2006.I,m interested in gaining speed for my rig so I can safley travel  on a highway.    Has anyone tried  to remove the center exaust pipe beween the two exausts and plug the holes for speed gain.  If so have you also  tried to install a 900cc bore kit that fit a750cc ural engine usomg a bpre kit. I know that the first solution will increase power a minimum of 5 horse power ,I tried it and it works.  This is not fast enough for safe highway driving  so i am trying  to get a futher increase in spped capacity.  I appreciate any help.

Joao

#2 greenmachine

greenmachine

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:13 PM

For best top speed I would suggest greasing the entire rig and removing the windshields and leg shields PRIOR to tossing it out the back of the aircraft......

The terminal velocity is about the same, but the acceleration is MUCH better.....

;-))
kermitski
Former Frog-Meister
Rode around the block a couple times
and got rid of that goofy thing...

#3 Serious Black

Serious Black

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,564 posts
  • Interests:Bikes
    History
    Engine tuning

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:13 PM

However it is possible to improve things. A gas flow job should be first priority. This will improve things generally and allow the engine to rev a bit better. Sythetic oils are also a must. The balance pipe or 'inertial supercharger' that is causing so much discussion at the moment will help although mainly at low and mid revs.

Good wheel bearing adjustment and attention to sidecar geometry can also recapture some lost ponies. Set the sidecar toe-in to the minimum recomended. Steering will be a touch heavier, especially left hand turns, but rolling resistance will be reduced. Tyre presure should also be correct. Higher presures reduce rolling resistance but can dramatically reduce tyre life. Breaking and handling are also adversly affected.

As Kermit noted. Aerodynamics play a big part in how fast you can go. Folding the screen down makes a surprising difference and it's effect can easily be seen on fuel consumption. Fitting a windscreen is not a performance mod.

There is more that can be done but then things start getting more complicated. I strongly suspect the 750 Ural airbox is restricting the engine due to all it's rightangle bends. If I had one I'd fit a Dnepr filter box and K&N filter. The airbox fits quite well when combined with Mikuni flat slide carbs, I've seen it and examined it closely. Jorg Warnke in Germany does a 30mm set of flatslides for the 750. Next on my list would be a set of less restrictive silencers ( note however that this does NOT mean NOISY!). Probably something like the Norton 'peeshooter' type fitted to Norton Commandos would do the job.
The devil is in the detail.

#4 Sam

Sam

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:37 PM

I seriously doubt plugging the exhaust crossover improves performance; that's one of those urban myths that gets dragged out every so often on the HD web sites, under the delusion that "true duals" perform better. The opposite is true; that crossover is to let the exhaust expand into both mufflers, and improve midrange performance slightly. A few years back Hot Rod Bikes (I think it was) did some dyno runs on this subject; plugging the crossover cost horsepower, and (to digress a bit) the Samson "true duals" were the only exhaust they tested to perform much worse than stock. It might, however, make it louder and therefore subjectively more powerful.

900 cc jugs? from where?

#5 Serious Black

Serious Black

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,564 posts
  • Interests:Bikes
    History
    Engine tuning

Posted 20 October 2006 - 02:05 PM

Plugging the crossover will loose you power. 900cc kits were supposedly available for Dnepr were poorly thought out. Piston weight was sky high and cylinder wall thickness wasn't. I doubt you would be able to bore the 750 this big without making a new cylinder. Fitting a turbo would probably be easier if you so speed crazed. Waiting for fuel injection is probably the best performance modification. Generally F.I. will give more power AND better fuel economy.
The devil is in the detail.

#6 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,016 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, my family, Urals & AK-47s...

Posted 20 October 2006 - 03:23 PM

greenmachine, on Oct 20 2006, 12:13 PM, said:

For best top speed I would suggest greasing the entire rig and removing the windshields and leg shields PRIOR to tossing it out the back of the aircraft......

The terminal velocity is about the same, but the acceleration is MUCH better.....

;-))
kermitski
I was just gonna suggest a tow rope behind a faster vehicle, but I like your idea better Kermi.

You could also fire it out of a cannon!  ;)
John Grocke (a.k.a. JohnBG)
1998.5 Ural Tourist 650 - "Valentina" - The Blonde
2006 Ural Raven 750 - "Vorona" - The Brunette

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#7 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,385 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:49 PM

Contrary to some opinions, there are always ways to get more power to the road, some are easy , like adjustments, like SB-1 says. I have been thinking of a mod that would deliver up to 6-7 hp to the road. In times past when alt's were dieing by the boat load, some on the board, just took the alt off, thereby increasing the available hp. Wouldn't it be neat to have a alternator that was possible to shift in or out of gear, for long hard climbs, start and stop traffic, or that you was sick and tired of the whining. Someone also pointed out that the siberian speed team shattered some commonly held convictions. I think kermi it hit right, when he speaks of terminal velocity. with the side cars we run, with leg guards, 60 mph is TV, 65 mph is TV+5. at this point aerodynamic drag increases at the square of speed...those college guys have the proper MC-2 poop on that. The fun of these things is how you stay up with the world, at lower speeds, Kinda like a 1931 model "A" Ford, rolling along side a 1934 model V-8, model A's lasted well into the early 60's....I expect dneprs/urals will do the same....Ken

#8 azccj

azccj

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 04:48 PM

And say you did up the ponies, you still have the problem that at 77 MPH you're going to run out of RPMs. My 05 Patrol will easily hit 70 MPH on a flat piece of road and still have throttle to spare but engine sounds like it's about ready to self destruct :cry: . The Ural does well what it was designed to do, riding around at low speed with a friend or two coming along for the ride, speed aint it's speacilty. You could probably spend a great deal of money and get a little bit faster and a lot less reliable Ural, but it would be more cost effective to sell the Ural and find a much faster bike and attatch a sidecar to it. If you wanted fast brother, you bought the wrong bike.

#9 Ragman

Ragman

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, Machines, Photographs.

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:01 PM

I never cease to be amazed by the constant stream of new buyers, who want to increase the speed.  Why buy the thing, if you want to make it go faster.  Seriously, I have had my rig going over 90mph.. stable as you want, really cruising.  The way I did it, was put it into my 40ft trailer, and roar down the freeway, with the diesel doing the work.  Sarcastic comment, I know, but that is just what it is worth - a heavy duty machine, is not a speed machine.  It cannot be done, for all the diehards claiming it can. If you want to go fast, cut off the hack, change the forks, change the tires, and go fast as a solo - that has been done, and very successfully too, on some machines. But the sidecar makes the rig a bitch to run fast..  Change the engine, change everything, and you can do it, but it would have been WAY cheaper to buy something else.

I rather like the BMW rig, that leans... Over a hundred, with a sidecar, leaning on corners.. That is the way to go, but it costs a LOT more than the YPAN machines.

The nack to riding an Ural, is to go slow. Today, I rode through field after field of feeding storks - they are migrating through my county, and look amazing - on a rig, you are with the birds, going slow, you see them, and can see the beauty of things around you.  That is the Ural experience - going slow, going places other bikes can't go, and going there, in style..  Nearly ran over a guy in very effective camo gear, with a bow and set of vicious looking arrows.  He was not impressed.
2011 Gear Up
2010 TW200

Sold: 05 Patrol, Royal Enfield Bullet, HD Sportster, TW200, XT500, and many more..

#10 emag

emag

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:Riding, astronomy, kayaking, sailing, kites

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:23 PM

Joao is brand spanking new and has received a bit of spanking in the form of replies.  (Not trying to step on any toes here, guys; the Percocet is kicking in and my mind is awandering).   The simple answer, Joao, was provided by several folks - there is no realistic way to turn a Ural into a highway cruiser; and good reason to consider an attempt to do so unsafe.  This question pops up with regularity so sometimes the responses stem from frustration.  Put the windshield down, you'll notice quite a difference.  Keep yer rig well tuned and aligned.  Enjoy.  If ya really need speed, get a low maintenance motorcycle built for superslabbing; my preference is Japanese but in a pinch I suppose a Harley will work....just not enough bang for my buck.
My .02 ---- even if you could get it to 80mph, it would be out of breath, and sometimes you need that extra oomph to get out of a squeeze.  My 750 Honda has that and my next two wheeled foray will have more of it.  95 on a Road Star is comfortable, on a Ural it would be, um, not comfortable.  Kinda like the difference between 100 in a Porsche 911 and 100 in a modified VW Bug.  Welcome to the foil.
2005 Ural Tourist
2004 Honda Aero
Born again heathen
Pensacola, Florida

#11 callison

callison

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:23 PM

I was never so happy as when my 2005 Patrols ignition module was replaced under warranty and the rig would reliably go over 48 mph. Now it will go a whopping 63 mph! Just enough to keep from becoming a bumper ornament on the local highways. Freeways? Never gonna happen.
Carl Allison
Chandler, Oklahoma
2005 Ural Patrol "Ksyusha"
2001 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport TT "FrankenSport"
1997 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100i "Bright Red Italian Bugswatter"
1997 Moto Guzzi California 1100i
http://guzzitech.com...portissimo.html
http://www.thisoldtr...portissimo.html
http://www.thisoldtr...zi007/Ural.html

#12 MartyL

MartyL

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:27 AM

My Patrol runs great between 35 & 55 MPH. That's it's, "Sweet speed". If I want to go faster and I'm planning on going faster on a highway, I take my 650 Yamaha. It can cruise at 70 to 80 MPH all day long. This is what I suggest. If you want to go faster then get a bike that goes faster. Hey you can buy a H-D Road King with a sidecar and buy an extended two year warranty all for about $28-30 K. and have a bike that will go 70+ MPH. The Ural is designed for what it is. There are rumors out there that IMZ is working on a fuel injected motor maybe with a bigger CC. I guess we'll see.  Pick your poison....
Peace....God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom.
Marty
2005 Patrol Sold.
2010 Gear Up. In the Garage! Whoo!!! Hoo!!!
1976 Yamaha XS 650C

#13 twobytwoplusone

twobytwoplusone

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:51 PM

I appreciate all the feedback given to my query about increasing my ural patrols speed.    Those of you who have experienced new england road conditionas had a better idea of why such an upgrade was needed.   You see one must chose between poorly maintained back roads with numerous curves and stop lights or highways where the lowest safe sustained travel speed is 55 to 65 miles an hour.  Although like many ural drivers I prefer the scenic back roads for traveling beyond 50 miles of more you must get on some highways.

I now can travel comfortably at 50 miles per hr but I still would like to be able to do so at 55.  Before the upgrades I was only able to do about 45.

I now want to find out where to get a supercharger for the carborators.  To see if that will give my more boost.

By the way this weekend we traveled 300 miles half in clear weather and half in pouring rain.  Wearing out belstaff discovery jackets and using an electric blanket covered with the tunnel cover for the sidecar kept my pinion and myself warm and dry.

We averaged 45 miles an hr on the highway.

#14 Mud Pie

Mud Pie

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:15 PM

Twobytwoplusone,

Also, since your rig is a 2006, realize that your engine is still breaking in.  As I wracked up the km's on my engine, the speeds increased dramatically.  The first couple thousand the engine felt like it was "working" more than it was "breathing".  

At first, when I took off from a stop light, I pretty much kept up with the fully loaded dump truck in the lane next to me.  Acceleration was that bad.  As the km's rolled on, I find myself now scooting away from the lights, leaving the cagers behind.

Ride it, enjoy it, the ride will get better !

And when it takes me a tad longer to get somewhere and someone says I'm late, I always say the same answer, "I'm on time when I get here."
2005 Ural Gear Up
1983 Honda C70 Passport

The early bird mat get the worm, but the worm that sleeps late doesn't get eaten

#15 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,016 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, my family, Urals & AK-47s...

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:16 PM

Mud Pie, on Nov 14 2006, 07:15 PM, said:

Also, since your rig is a 2006, realize that your engine is still breaking in.  As I wracked up the km's on my engine, the speeds increased dramatically.  The first couple thousand the engine felt like it was "working" more than it was "breathing".  

At first, when I took off from a stop light, I pretty much kept up with the fully loaded dump truck in the lane next to me.  Acceleration was that bad.  As the km's rolled on, I find myself now scooting away from the lights, leaving the cagers behind.
The Raven with only 150km on it feels like it is huffing it's a$$ off to get to 50mph.  I think the 650 is downright peppy in comparison.  Glad to know it gets better!  :surprise:
John Grocke (a.k.a. JohnBG)
1998.5 Ural Tourist 650 - "Valentina" - The Blonde
2006 Ural Raven 750 - "Vorona" - The Brunette

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users