• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#76 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:54 PM

Safety Bob, My wife who passed away nearly 10 years ago was from Reserve, family name was simon. he was the daughter of bertha simon, I know we know a lot of people in common, Yor're on for dinner at Peavine's on the lake, in La Place, or Don's in BR....Ken

#77 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, my family, Urals & AK-47s...

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:05 PM

GAVNO, on Oct 18 2006, 10:52 PM, said:

Oh, Holy Fecal Refuse...   the little orange sign has the words BLASTING MEDIA on it. I'm tailgating a truck loaded with DYNAMITE, in the rain, on Friday the 13th!!!  :huh:
Reminds me of a T-shirt I saw that said "Bomb Squad - If you see me running, try to keep up!"  :o
John Grocke (a.k.a. JohnBG)
1998.5 Ural Tourist 650 - "Valentina" - The Blonde
2006 Ural Raven 750 - "Vorona" - The Brunette

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#78 SafetyBob

SafetyBob

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:07 PM

Mr. Ken,
Very sorry about the loss of your wife.  Mine is the joy of my life. Twenty seven years and always getting better.  She tollerates my sickness and addiction to this Russian maddness that keeps me sane.
Again, seems like I've know you as I've read EVERY post on this board over the last few months whilst play with the Dnepr.
I have truly met the nicest people here and in the Dnepr community as a whole.

Good Night Sir,
Bob
Dnepr- So Much Fun- It's addictive!
MT-11 Solo- "Nadia"
MT-11 "Yellow Bear"
MT-9 "Boo Bear"
K-750 Flathead
MT-11 "Gumbo"
Ural M 70 Solo
Ural Patrol
95 Ural Tourist

#79 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:11 PM

SafetyBob, on Oct 19 2006, 09:07 PM, said:

I have truly met the nicest people here and in the Dnepr community as a whole.
But ya gotta watch out for the Ural folks, they're a flaky bunch.    :surprise:

Especially that Kermi fella, he puts cheese on his PIE.  ;)

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#80 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:19 PM

It's OK John, he uses genuine wisconsin cheese, gets his apples here too...gotta watch em, but he not all bad, on a good day :P ...Ken

#81 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:34 PM

Ken Ulrich, on Oct 19 2006, 09:19 PM, said:

It's OK John, he uses genuine wisconsin cheese, gets his apples here too...gotta watch em, but he not all bad, on a good day :P ...Ken
Those dang Wiconsinites put cheese on everything!   :lol:

Yeah, keep an eye on Kermi, y a know what they say about "one bad apple"  :surprise:

#82 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:57 AM

We digress, what in your opinion, is the most dangerous situation, traveling on a bike. One thing that comes to mind is two solo's side by side in heavy traffic, another is being just slightly to the rear on the drivers side of a car, and in the passing lane or fast lane. (you are out of sight, in his/her mirrors) compound that with driver chatting on a cell phone. Then an attempt , by that car to pull out and pass a very slow car or mergeing traffic....head-on? good chance!.....Here is some more discussion "bait".....What are the most visable color combinations to wear when riding?  black/yellow? red/white? red green? other?Military colors?....the fuse is lite....Ken

#83 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:21 AM

Ken Ulrich, on Oct 20 2006, 06:57 AM, said:

What are the most visable color combinations to wear when riding?  black/yellow? red/white? red green? other?Military colors?....the fuse is lite....Ken
Ride naked!  That's bound to draw attention (and in my case firghten people)...  :surprise:

#84 edthetermite

edthetermite

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:48 AM

I've been riding motorsickles for 33 years. Coast to coast, blah, blah.
No accidents, yet. Luck being my biggest asset. I've had some Clooose calls.

I am a contradiction in terms when it comes to motorcycle safety. I ride a
camoflaged Gear Up to work in the dark here in the Ozarks. We have a high
population density of deer. I do not make my 30 mile trip to work without seeing
at least 3 or 4 next to the road. I put high reflective tape on the ass end of my hack to keep the cages from rear ending me in the ever present Ozark fog. Twin
halogens on the front of the sidecar brighten up the ditches for the critters.

But, I don't wear a helmet. I have lots of medical and vehicle insurance and an understanding with my wife (no kids) that I am certifiably insane.  To me life has
risks and choices. I chose to take the MSF beginner and advanced Safety Courses
and not to wear a helmet. It's all a calculated senario.

Kermie's advice on handling a motorcycle with sidecar in turns is INVALUABLE!
Here in the Ozark hills turns are often and tight. You WILL be in the other lane before you know it if you don't set up properly for each and every turn.

I ride in a rural environment and when on the 2 lane highways I create space for myself by staying right next to the center line as a cage approaches. I stay there until the last moment and then gently veer to the right.  The cage ends up on the right side of his lane and me on my right side. This creates maximum space.

Finally, the single most common motorcycle accident is: cage makes left hand turn in front of bike. Bike rider thens steers right to avoid collison. Don't go right,
go left. You'll have a better chance of not hitting him in the side.

It's A Beautiful Autumn Here In The Ozarks,
                                                                                   Ed
2006 Ural Gear Up
"If you have to explain they won't understand....."

#85 charlie23

charlie23

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, Booze and Art. Pretty much in that order.

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:07 AM

Bikes are a dangerous game, we all know that. So are firearms, sex and boats, football and any number of other pursuits.

hey Bob, could you give us some safety tips for sex and boats? I mean, I always assumed you shouldn't try and pilot one while having sex, but are there other inherent dangers we don't know about?
:lol:
Charlie's Vintage Kustoms
Flesh & Relics Blog (NSFW)
1953 M72
1956 Izh Planeta
1961 M61
1978 MT11
1982 Yamaha XS1100
1986 Suzuki VS750GL

#86 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 05:00 PM

Charlie; maybe I can shed some light on that....a man and a women flying after dark in Nevada maybe 20years ago, crashed. 2 fatals. FAA accident investgaters decided they were engaged in some type of oral sex, never did explain how they ever got to that conclusion :feelssogood:  :party:  -_- .......... Ken

#87 caveshark

caveshark

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:57 PM

Well, I have a couple often over looked safety tips.  Both from my own experience.  

I hadn't had my brand new 2006 Ural Troyka long.  I had really only taken it out a few times on nice days when I was fully alert, geared up, with helmet on.  It was June and I was looking foreward to a summer of fun riding it to work during the week and everywhere on the weekends.  

One fateful evening late in June, it had rained all day and I took my cage to work.  By time I got home from work it had completely dried out.  I had to run up to the grocery store only 4 blocks away.  I contemplated walking.  Maybe I should have.

I grabbed my jacket and helmet and headed out to the driveway.  I wiped down the seat and dried it quickly.  Mounted up and started the engine.  It roared to life.  I sat there letting it warm up a bit while I strapped on my helmet a grin spreading across my face.  It had been a wet couple of weeks and I was going for a ride.  Even if it was only a total of 8 blocks.  Ready to go now I pulled out of the driveway.  Shifting into second, I though it seemed a little harder and clunkier than it had been.  I had only about 80 kilometers on the odometer so it was far from being broken in and maybe it was just loosening up.  

LESSON #1:  If it doesn't sound and feel right, it probably isn't.  Turn around, go home and check it out.

Ok, I ignored it and went ahead.  I pulled to a nice easy stop at the intersection.  Waiting to make my left turn onto the last block to the store, I looked right, left, and right again.  It was clear so I started to very slowly let out the clutch.  I was just reaching the friction zone and starting to inch foreward when I saw a car coming around the bend to my left.  Not being in a hurry I decided it doesn't matter that its still a long way away I'll wait.  So since I was just barely moving, I simply pulled the clutch lever back in.  It hit the hand grip rather hard for such a short pull and then the bike pulled out like a bat out of hell.  In that split second I tried to think of everything I could possibly do.  My hand was locked around the clutch lever and I was still moving.  I turned the handle bars and leaned to the left to see if I could make it around and through the intersection giving me time to figure it out.  I wasn't turning fast enough, or at least it didn't seem like it.  My thumb went to the engine cut off switch and my fingers wrapped around the front brake.  I'm not sure which I hit first the brake or the engine cut off but just as the bike hit the curb across the intersection, the engine stopped and I was flying off the bike.  

I hit the ground with a resounding thud.  Lucky it was the lawn of the rental store rather than the parking lot.  I rolled over expecting to see my bike stopped and hanging on the curb.  That was not to be.  I looked up and saw it flying over me, twisting in the air as it went.  Then I saw it obey the law of gravity.  RIGHT OVER ME!!!  A quick roll to the left and the bike was hitting the ground upside down.

I got up.  Uttered a 4 letter word or two.  Took off my helmet and dropped it on the ground.  Walking around my inverted carriage, I wondered how I was going to get this thing home.  A passerby, well actually the person I decided to wait for, came running over.  After asking if I was all right he helped me flip the broken and battered bike over.  I looked it over.  Broken front left turn signal.  Broken mirror.  Sidecar windscreen smashed pieces.  Sidecar fender twisted and broken from most of its mounts.  Chamber between bike and sidecar all wrong.

My though was, what's wrong with the clutch.  I looked down on the linkage and it was almost completely disconnected.  Now I had spent  an afternoon going over every cable, connection, hose, link, etc getting to know it the day I brought it home.  And this is not the way it looked but it didn't look like it had happened in the accident.  Hmmmm....

LESSON # 2  Check your bike over before you get on it and make sure thing are the way they should be.  Clutch linkage is tight and right, tires inflated, signals and lights working all that.

Well it took a little figuring and a small bit of thinking. Something a little difficult for someone with a freshly scrambled head.  But the best I can figure is that a few days before this, we had to call the police on some of the neighbors.  They were pretty near starting a riot in the middle of the circle, punches were being thrown and threats of guns being brought out were shouted.  Well the little lady doesn't even try for anonymity, so she's out there on the front lawn with the phone yelling that she's calling the police.  My best guess is if you have a bunch of hot heads who will start a fight in the middle of the street, it isn't much of a stretch that one of them would tamper with a bike left on the driveway unattended all day while the owner is at work.  Even more so when those in question have bikes themselves.  Something that might not come apart right away, maybe something that would work its way free and cause an accident.  

LESSON # 3  Don't let your significant other call the police on the neighbors in full view of them.  Keep them in the house so that noone knows its you that called.  

I ended up with a sprained ankle.  My Ural is still being repaired because of unrelated problems with the shop owner.

John W.
2006 Troyka

#88 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:30 PM

These are points well pointed out. If it don't feel right..Its not right! If it wiggles,rattles,wobbles, vibrates, knocks,whistles, do it now, not after it cost you a ton of money or worse......Thanks for the input.....Ken

#89 emag

emag

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:Riding, astronomy, kayaking, sailing, kites

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:00 PM

Helmet most of the time, unless I'm on my local residential / rural roads on the Ural.  Armored jacket frequently, but not so frequently during the summer.  Boots always.  Armored pants never - I don't own any but might look into it.  My most serious injury was on a dirt bike when I'd had too many barley pops at a younger and stupider age....my foot hit something and got banged up, nothing permanent.  I don't drink and ride now and haven't for decades.  I only once had a BBBD (big bad biker dude) make a comment to me about a helmet, I stupidly replied that I wouldn't bother with one either if I had a head that looked like his.  Fortunately I was smiling and able to buy him a beer before things got ugly.  I've ridden extensively in non-helmet law locales and wore one anyway (most of the time).  I always presume the cagers will not see me and will do something stupid and try to leave myself an out just in case.  When I can't, I just suck it up and continue until I can do something about it.  I bitch about the drivers in Pensacola constantly, but in truth it ain't bad outside of rush hour and drunk hour.  Cell phone babblers suck, they can be partially dealt with by making a totally illegal purchase from a site such as http://www.globalgadgetuk.com  (Works well to stifle chatty office mates also  ;)

At 51 I don't have the reflexes I did at 22, but I don't have the need for speed I did then either.  I also heartily recommend MSF safety courses - always something to learn and it keeps the insurance low.
2005 Ural Tourist
2004 Honda Aero
Born again heathen
Pensacola, Florida

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users