• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#31 mracer

mracer

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Interests:Vintage racing, cars, motorcycles, art, books, travel, weapons, photography, my wife and my son.

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:55 PM

LOL, is that when you use it in the flathead or ohv motor?  :o
Max

#32 zach

zach

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:47 PM

Flathead only, those OHV engines are just a fad.

#33 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, my family, Urals & AK-47s...

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:56 PM

"Let those who ride decide"

Life Member - ABATE of Florida

FWIW, most of the time I ride without a helmet.  Sometimes I do.  I like having the choice instead of the nanny state telling me what I have to do.
John Grocke (a.k.a. JohnBG)
1998.5 Ural Tourist 650 - "Valentina" - The Blonde
2006 Ural Raven 750 - "Vorona" - The Brunette

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#34 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 10 October 2006 - 03:30 PM

I have been a pall bearer a number of times, once for a young boy I taught to ride about 50 some odd years ago, if, Bobby was wearing a helmut he would be alive today. I knew an AA pilot, he was several times world acro champion, died on a cycle in Tenn, no helmut, this last saturday, three bikes, two guys, one gal, Hwy 17, n. of Wausau. all three went down for some reason, gal dead, two guys minor injury. There maybe kids left, not sure.....Light planes, if all wore helmuts, the death toll would be less than 1/2 what it is now.......I am a mellowing hard head, very hard headed, I don't like it at all, when anyone tells me I have to do this, or that, as I   have in the past, and will no doubt in the future. I will defy them for nothing else than my own personal ego.....now is that calculating or stupid....some of both..it will cause me to search out a better way to circumvent the risk on one hand, but risk that I may have all my kids (8) and all my grandkids (12), brothers and sisters (5) stareing at my "box" saying "Yup" the old man had a hard head.
The point I am trying to make is that "no man is an island", its not just you involved when you get careless, obstinate,  or what ever. our passing has an everlasting  effect on all around you, note the passing of Wally, most of us never were closer than 10,000 miles to Wally, yet as someone pointed out we lost a cornerstone. I have never taken a rider safety course, never had the opportunity, I have always tried to give myself plenty of room driving anything, to make that quick instinctive desicion. But in the interest of this safety bump we on, how about you guys that have had the oportunity to take a safety course, to pass on the more memorable points. Thanks to all for speaking out, this is what I had hoped to see coming out of this thread....and I don't think we are done yet....Ken

#35 buellbum

buellbum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:old bikes, new bikes, odd bikes, fast bikes, slow bikes, ugly<br>bikes, pretty bikes, anything but choppers !

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:41 PM

I do not debate helment use with anyone. It tends to lead to a great deal
of "head-butting" without changing anyone's mind. Folks.......It's your head to
do with as you please. After 30+ yrs. in the saddle I enrolled in an experienced
rider safety course, designed by, and tought by AMA instructors. Outstanding
class.and also got me a 15% discount on my insurance. I found it well worth
my time.  
     Also, If you drink, for Christ's sake. stay off the d*mn motorcycle! There's
ample opportunity to do both. I know from experience that they don't work well
together.
    I see lots of good advise here. Take heed......be observent....and ride safe.

Buellbum
I used to be Schizophrenic..... but we're O.K. now !!!
"You laugh because I'm different....I laugh because you're all the same"
2005 Tourist
1946 H.D. WLA
2003 V-Rod
various others (running & not)

#36 Wooden Nickel

Wooden Nickel

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:45 PM

Hi All,
I always wear my full face helmet when on the bike, even in summer.  I always wear a seatbelt in the cages.  That being said, I don't want anyone telling me what to wear or not to wear.  Where does it stop?  Also, like it or not seatbelts and helmets can and will kill you with the right conditions.  My oldest brother died of cancer, but he would have died 10 years earlier if he had been wearing his seatbelt when he rolled his SUV on ice.  He laid flat across the seats when it started fo roll and the top came down to the dash and seats.  Walked away with a few bruises.
I think an adult has a choice to die in whatever way they want.  Not really my business or anyone elses.  If a person is going to ride crazy or without a helmet, at least they are less likely to kill me too, if they are on a bike instead of in a cage.  
LIke I say,  protective gear can save or kill you.  I just like the odds better with a helmet or seatbelt.  Should be my choice though.
I'm too lazy to crawl up on this soap box any longer.
Nick

#37 IMZman

IMZman

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:59 PM

'Nuther perfect example was the 24 year old NASCAR driver that got killed on the track today. Had a car built to take it...safety equipment out the whazoo...pick a hazardous career and accepted the risks. Was he an idiot or stupid? Did any of that crap help him? He didn't even have a choice of what to wear...think he sat up at night thinking about who and what he would leave behind? Got news for you all...we all end up dead and most of us ain't gonna get to pick the time, way or place. What does it matter if you are one hour old or 100 years? Does it make it any easier? No. Ya makes your bed, so sleep in...or some such crap.

"...it's my life, so let me live it the way I want to."
James Marshall Hendrix
"If 6 Was 9"
Bill Glaser
2002 Patrol "CYKA"
200,000+ km's since May 2002
Click here to go to: "The Unofficial URAL 750cc Service Manual"

#38 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, my family, Urals &amp; AK-47s...

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:56 PM

Why don't we wear helmets in our cars?  Wouldn't they save lives?

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#39 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:58 PM

ChicagoRandy, on Oct 10 2006, 04:59 PM, said:

Two of the many that come immediately to mind are:

S.E.E.   Search - Evaluate - Execute,
When I went to the MSF course years ago it was "SIPDE"

Search (or scan), Identify, Predict, Decide, Execute...

What happened to Identify and Decide, I wonder?

#40 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:00 PM

Ken Ulrich, on Oct 10 2006, 03:30 PM, said:

I have been a pall bearer a number of times, once for a young boy I taught to ride about 50 some odd years ago, if, Bobby was wearing a helmut he would be alive today.
Ken, do ya wear a helmet when you fly?  :huh:

#41 Kirk

Kirk

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:02 PM

Same for me SIPDE. The recent sidecar class called in SLADE which is just a variation. I think each class does it a bit different.

The other thing I noticed was they switched from the "2-second" rule to the "3-second" rule. Great in practice, but practically impossible here in the Northeast with all the traffic.

#42 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:23 PM

Wally was wearing his helmet.

and this from the obit that Truckie just posted:

"Lashua -- who was wearing a helmet -- was riding north on South Queen Street about 6:15 p.m. Saturday when the motorcycle he was riding collided with a southbound 2004 Dodge truck driven by Keith G. Anderson, 76, of Belton, Texas, according to Spring Garden Township Police."

Truth is, after reviewing the DOT statistics here in Florida the percentage of deaths per number of accidents between helmeted and non-helmeted motorcyclists, I find the numbers are almost identical.  You can view the DOT statistics at http://www.abateflorida.com

You can get killed just as easy with a helmet or without a helmet.  Don't be lulled into thinking that a helmet is going to make you invincible.  The majority of motorcyle deaths are caused by internal injuries (usually chest area).  Helmets don't protect against that.  There are also studies that show that the additional weight of helmets can cause broken necks and spinal injuries in certain types of injuries.

In my opinion, we don't need "safer crashes".  Sheesh, now Honda is putting air bags on Gold Wings!  How long until that's mandatory for all bikes?  We need to reduce the number of crashes.   We need to educate drivers on how to share the road with motorcyclists.  We need to ban the use of cell phones, laptops, etc. while driving.  We need stricter enforcement and stiffer fines for reckless and careless driving.  

We also need to pass a law that requires that one must pass an approved motorcycle safety course befire they can legally own a motorcycle.  (This is where I disagree with ABATE)  Florida doesn't even require that you have a motorcycle endorsement to buy a motorcycle and all you have to do wi weave the cones to get one.  Earlier this year a total novice, plunked out $10K for a high-powered crotch-rocket, and killed himself on it less than 2 miles form the dealersip.  Yes he was wearing a helmet, they found it 100 yards from his body.

Most importatly, we need to enact a "kill a biker, go to jail" law.  Here in Florida, we just passed a stiffer penalties law last year but the judges are finding loopholes and not enforcing it.  Our ABATE chapter's legislative trustee has been tracking the results of the legal proceedings against the motorists that killed motorcyclists last Bike Week in Daytona.  Many have been adjudicated of guilt, pled to a lesser charge, or pled no contest and either just paid court costs or fines less of than $500.  

Yup, that's what your life is worth - $500.   Pi$$e$ me off...

Sorry for my rant.  I'm a bit passionate about this subject.

#43 DaveO

DaveO

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts
  • Interests:

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:36 PM

When your number's up......... it won't matter what you're wearing :)  Life/Death is but a simple twist of fate away, why freak out? I do wear my gear for those whom I would leave behind though....cause I know that it's for those 'left behind' that it sucks the most

Attached Files

Dave O
CMSI '00 Patrol

#44 Mud Pie

Mud Pie

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:41 PM

Texas is a no helmet state, it's gone back and forth over the years.  Some years ya gotta strap one on, next year it's your choice.

I, personally, have always worn one.  When I see a kid blazing by on a crotch-rocket wearing nothing but an Abercrombie and Fitch T-shirt, flip flops and shorts, do I think that's stupid ?  Yes I do, but I ain't him.  He can do what he wants, it's not up to me.  That kid could have an IQ of 300 for all I know.  I think it is stupid not to gear up.  Never said that he was stupid.

There is a plethora of data supporting wearing a helmet as much as there is in not wearing one.  Sometimes wearing a helmet only leaves a pretty corpse.  Sometimes wearing a helmet will save your life.  Any motorcycle accident is a crap-shoot in if you'll live.  We all knew that when we signed on.

The best example I can use for wearing one is: "Ever bang your head on a kitchen cabinet door that was left open ?  Try that on concrete going 60 mph."

Plus, I'm kinda anal about being able to hear when I arrive someplace.  That wind in your hair is okay.....for about 3 miles.

I always wore my seatbelt, but when they passed a law saying I HAD to wear one, it got my Irish up !!  

Freedom of choice.  Just like the G/U owners will argue with the Tourist owners about "needing" 2WD....   :D
2005 Ural Gear Up
1983 Honda C70 Passport

The early bird mat get the worm, but the worm that sleeps late doesn't get eaten

#45 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:49 PM

Mud Pie, on Oct 10 2006, 09:41 PM, said:

Freedom of choice.  Just like the G/U owners will argue with the Tourist owners about "needing" 2WD....   :D
Soon I'll have borth a 1WD Tourist and a 2WD Raven.  I guess I'll be arguing with myself then...  :surprise:  ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users