• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 wyowillys46

wyowillys46

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Classic vehicles & Firearms collecting. The two best ways to drain your wallet.

Posted 08 October 2006 - 02:33 PM

DaveO who is the supplier for the #7004 bearing? Or is it just a universal number that I could look up in something like the McMaster catalog.
Morgan

2006 Gear-Up

#62 DaveO

DaveO

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts
  • Interests:

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:41 PM

wyowillys46, on Oct 8 2006, 12:33 PM, said:

DaveO who is the supplier for the #7004 bearing? Or is it just a universal number that I could look up in something like the McMaster catalog.
Hi Morgan,
It's a universal number bearing...
Dave O
CMSI '00 Patrol

#63 greenmachine

greenmachine

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:52 PM

Thanks Dave.

I'll try to pull the stupid thing in the next couple weeks. I don't like to rush into these things headlong.....

;-)

kermitski
Former Frog-Meister
Rode around the block a couple times
and got rid of that goofy thing...

#64 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, my family, Urals & AK-47s...

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:16 PM

Here's a subtle hint for the IMWA factory spies that read this forum:

MAKE THE ADAPTER COUPLER PARTS AVAILABLE WITHOUT HAVING TO BUY THE WHOLE $390 FRIGGIN' DENSO ASSEMBLY!!!!!   >:(

Do ya think that was subtle enough?  ;)
John Grocke (a.k.a. JohnBG)
1998.5 Ural Tourist 650 - "Valentina" - The Blonde
2006 Ural Raven 750 - "Vorona" - The Brunette

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#65 VWNate1

VWNate1

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:38 AM

Not sure what you're hinting at there John  :huh:  could you perhaps be a little more specific ? .

:surprise:
-Nate
Living the good life in Southern California
'94 Tourist Solo 650
'96 Solo 650
'10 Solo sT 750
Rust
Arthritis
Memories

#66 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, my family, Urals & AK-47s...

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:12 AM

VWNate1, on Oct 10 2006, 08:38 AM, said:

Not sure what you're hinting at there John  :huh:  could you perhaps be a little more specific ? .

:surprise:
MAKE THE ADAPTER AND THE ADAPTER PARTS (BEARINGS RUBBER DRIVE BLOCKS, ETC) AVAILABLE AS SPARE PARTS!!!!  WE NEED TO BUY PARTS FOR THE ADAPTER!!! NOT  JUST THE ENTIRE ALTERNATOR!!!  

Specific enough?  :surprise:  ;)
John Grocke (a.k.a. JohnBG)
1998.5 Ural Tourist 650 - "Valentina" - The Blonde
2006 Ural Raven 750 - "Vorona" - The Brunette

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#67 Depner

Depner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, firearms

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:41 AM

DaveO, could you please write your long term experiences with the modified adapter? I'm about to modify mine as well. I've found a pretty cheap KBS type 7004 bearing. I'll put that in instead of the motor-side 6004, as you did. I'm not sure about the greasing modification, but if it works fine for you, I will also do it.
Thanks in advance!
Depner
=Depner=

2005 Ural Gear Up
Hungary

#68 IVANGROZNEY

IVANGROZNEY

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:02 PM

View PostDepner, on Feb 11 2009, 03:41 AM, said:

DaveO, could you please write your long term experiences with the modified adapter? I'm about to modify mine as well. I've found a pretty cheap KBS type 7004 bearing. I'll put that in instead of the motor-side 6004, as you did. I'm not sure about the greasing modification, but if it works fine for you, I will also do it.
Thanks in advance!
Depner

You should go to  sovietsteeds.com  for the answer to your question. I don't think DaveO visits here anymore. He is one of the moderators on sovietsteeds.
New Jersey Ken,
94 Tourist w/750 original owner
95 Solo Dr Jeckel
Traveling Twelve 04
Vice Commissar Eastern Seaboard Division CURD

#69 IMZman

IMZman

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:45 PM

You really don't need the 7004 anyway...the 6004 2RS will handle the load just fine...it won't hurt...but it isn't going to help the problem. The 6004's are rated for way better than the rpm's the bearings are turning and are well within the thrust loading of the adapter. The only problem is the grease reaching its temp. limits and the mineral oil running out leaving the solids behind. This quickly dries and things just grind to dust. Either use something like KRYTOX grease (DuPont) or mod. the adapter like DaveO.
Bill Glaser
2002 Patrol "CYKA"
200,000+ km's since May 2002
Click here to go to: "The Unofficial URAL 750cc Service Manual"

#70 DaveO

DaveO

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts
  • Interests:

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:23 PM

View PostDepner, on Feb 11 2009, 01:41 AM, said:

Thanks in advance!
Depner

Howdy Depner!
My alt. Adapter mod is working well so far. I had to rebuild the top end of my engine recently,(21 Jan.'09) to do the rings and install a Herzog timing gear set, there was NO build up of grease in the timing gear tower. This was one of the things I had been concerned about and could still be a concern if the fitting is over-greased. The 7004 is not sealed and any extra grease pumped in dribbles into the engine from the open bearing end...this seems to be no big deal as there was no grease built up at the bottom of the timing gear tower, or anywhere else IN the engine...

I lube the bearings (2-3 full strokes from a standard grease gun) roughly right before an oil change, every 1000 to 1500 miles or so. Before the oil change, I run about a pint of kerosene in the engine till it gets hot, and then change the oil, the engine was nice and clean inside. There's a pic included from the teardown showing the gear tower interior,only some oil in the bottom, and 1 of the adapter face showing some grease residue exiting the 7004.

Please be aware that when I did this mod I had no knowledge of exotic lubricants such as Krytox, and proceeded accordingly....Using Krytox MAY be a better solution as it involves much less work, I'm not sure how long it hangs around in actual use... It MAY work just fine, I don't know, and haven't heard of any failing. ...Just so you know there may be an easier way.

The other thing is, my mod was done on the 1st version of the adapter, since then, there have been at least 2 other versions of this adapter....so my instructions MAY only be relevant if you have the same version adapter....or not, I don't know because I've only had the one type adapter apart.

Hope that helps you decide your course, and Best Wishes on however you choose to proceed!

Best Regards!
Dave

Attached Files

Dave O
CMSI '00 Patrol

#71 IMZman

IMZman

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:47 PM

Nice looking innards there Davie...gooping grease finding its way into the oil sump through the tower was my only concern with your mod.. Looks like it is not a problem. The kerosene bath probably helps.

My KRYTOX adapter is still humming away. I am too lazy to pull it and check it without a reason! No dribbling under the alt. at all...and it is still quiet. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Bill Glaser
2002 Patrol "CYKA"
200,000+ km's since May 2002
Click here to go to: "The Unofficial URAL 750cc Service Manual"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users