33 replies to this topic

#1 Glenn Hamilton

Glenn Hamilton

Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Interests:The bikes.
    Photography and vintage Soviet-era cameras.
    Analog music (tapes and LP's) and vintage Hi-Fi gear.

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:30 PM

I've copied my post in Whatever here so that all would see it.

QUOTE (Gummiente @ Jul 30 2006, 08:56 AM)

"Y'know, I really liked this place better when it was ALL about Russkie bikes. Lately it's become more of a political forum and that's when I begin to think about moving on. If I wanted to talk politics, I'd join a political forum. I want to talk about Urals and Dneprs, which is why I joined RIMC. I really wish we could return to that format and leave the bickering outside."

Good points.

My original intention for the Rant 'n' Rave section of the Board was to to provide that "outside" so that members could occasionally let some of the steam off, as it were, without corrupting the other forums. We're all human - sometimes we get ideas that just gotta get out. Nuthin' wrong with that.

However, I have noticed that too many of the other topics in the other forums are devolving into political rants (the patches being a perfect example) and respectfully request that all nonmotorcycle conversation take place in Whatever or Rant 'n' Rave. That way, members who have no wish to get a lecture can avoid these conversations and enjoy the Board.

I've also noticed that some members have posted more than the majority of their posts in Rant 'n' Rave. Again, the purpose of the Board is to provide a gathering place for Soviet/Russian motorcycle enthusiasts. If your sole purpose for being here is to use this Board as a platform to spread whatever religion/politics you're pushing, please find another forum.

Quite frankly, it's also getting a little embarrassing to see our foreign members subjected to the level of bile that has infected whatever it is that passes for political discourse in the U.S. of A. these days. If you must talk politics and religion, try to keep your observations on point and avoid the nasty personal attacks. Hey, we all live on this crazy ol' planet together - let's try to get along. And besides, you never know when you'll meet that person at a rally and find out that he's bigger and better armed than you are.    ;)  

Thanks!  :)
Glenn   Not an Admin. Honorary title only. ;)

Russian Bikes
Present:1997 Tourist, 2002 Bavarian Classic Solo
Past: 1995 Solo, 2003 Retro Solo

#2 Mud Pie

Mud Pie

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:54 PM

Thanks Glenn, I think you've said what the majority of us feel !!  It helps tremendously when the #1 guy echoes our feelings !!

I, for one, do not even go to the Rant n Rave forum anymore.  I used to click on each forum and read everything, but the slant that the Rant n Rave forum has headed gives me no reason to go there anymore.

It used to be Rant n Rave about motorcycles and such, but since the header didn't SAY "about motorcycling" someone took it as a rant or rave about ANYTHING that would get angry responses.

I know this is an extreme gesture, but is it possible for you to add a disclaimer or something along the lines of, "This website is intended for the topic of motorcycling.  Any topics posted relating to sex, politics or religion will be deleted as soon possible, the poster will be advised and any further postings of said materials will subject the member to being banned from the site."

This would not be a "freedom of speech" violation or anything such.  No one would be stopping the poster from posting his/her rants; they just can't post them HERE.

The best "defense" I have about those postings is quite simple.  Do not respond.  If no one pays attention (which is what the person WANTS), he/she will go away and try to find someone else who will take the bait.
2005 Ural Gear Up
1983 Honda C70 Passport

The early bird mat get the worm, but the worm that sleeps late doesn't get eaten

#3 Baxter's driver

Baxter's driver

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:2006 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100<br />2005 KLR 650<br />2004 Ural Tourist

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:38 PM

Works for me and I've never even been to the Rant and Rave section.    :lol:

I did slip a Ural comparison into my Royal Enfield question post, so I don't feel completely guilty.   :blush:

And it's a fine site you have here.  When I first began to be sucked into Foil Land I ping-ponged between RI and Ural homesite.  This is a much better site IMHO in terms of content, organization, info, and member particiapation.

Keep up the great work!
Once you go hack, you'll never go back.

------------------------------------------
2004 Ural Tourist

tapping foot waiting for Ural ST to become available

2005 KLR 650 in faster, er, dustier red color

#4 dwight

dwight

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 02:45 PM

Hi Glenn,

Well said, sir!

Dwight
'05 Tourist
'93 Solo
Ridin' the back roads of Holly Springs and Apex, NC
www.dwightrahl.com

#5 kugelbake

kugelbake

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Interests:American history, English literature, German women, Italian food, Russian bikes, guns, and kids.

Posted 30 July 2006 - 04:02 PM

Thanks Glenn!  

And thanks again for providing this forum.  The "Nuts-N-Bolts" section has saved me countless hours of garage time.  

Maughanster
Maughanster

2008 Buell XB12
1964ish Ural 650cc Hardtail

Nolo Me Damnare

#6 Truckie

Truckie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:Riding our Ural now. Camping and fishing.

Posted 30 July 2006 - 05:18 PM

Glenn,

I'm with you 100%  I will refrain from political comments and observations in here.  I'd like that better anyhow!
Truckie (Poodle Wheely Momma's Driver)
York, PA
2005 Tourist

#7 Berlin56

Berlin56

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:The Outdoors nature,Deerhunting canoing boating Diving Camping Airplanes,Oldcars,Motorcycle <br />Romantic evenings at the fireplace

Posted 30 July 2006 - 07:04 PM

Hi to all                                                                                                                  I like this Forum,because it helps to maintain and repair our beloved Russion bikes.
And a Big Plus we are International Brotherhood of Bikers

#8 charlie23

charlie23

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, Booze and Art. Pretty much in that order.

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:10 AM

Well put Glenn.
Charlie's Vintage Kustoms
Flesh & Relics Blog (NSFW)
1953 M72
1956 Izh Planeta
1961 M61
1978 MT11
1982 Yamaha XS1100
1986 Suzuki VS750GL

#9 csbdr

csbdr

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, flyfishing, riding to flyfishing, bluegrass, playing guitar and banjo, my boy (should have put him first!), camping

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:42 AM

Glenn - Thanks and couldn't agree more. BTW, love the shoes.  Chris
2002 Ural Tourist - "Pikop Andropov" 29,500
2003 Yamaha RoadStar
2009 Royal Enfield C5

#10 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, my family, Urals &amp; AK-47s...

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:22 PM

I'm guilty as charged.  I will refrain form any more political posts and try to stick with Russian bikes, OK?

If I offended, I apologize...

Forgiven?  :cry:
John Grocke (a.k.a. JohnBG)
1998.5 Ural Tourist 650 - "Valentina" - The Blonde
2006 Ural Raven 750 - "Vorona" - The Brunette

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#11 tsquared

tsquared

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:RIDDING my URAL LOL! I also love wood carving, fishing and camping. I love to meet people. So send me an E-mail and we can trade stories of our bikes.

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:48 PM

Thank you Glen and I hope that it works out the way you put it.

#12 Dubliner15

Dubliner15

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, beer and babes... and flight simulators...<br><br>Books, books, dogs, beer (did I already mention beer?) beer, and the rustier things in life :)

Posted 01 August 2006 - 02:27 AM

Thanks Glenn.

I think that the 'international' members of the forum will appreciate your sentiments.

I think we want a forum about Russian/Ukrainian bikes - not US politics. I know I do.

Dubnepr of the dodgy centrifuge
ДЧ6

::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1990 Dnepr OHV 'Fidelma' - K750 tank, K68 carbs, five coats of black paint, lots of tinkering and some expert advice.
1991 Dnepr OHV 'Brandbilen' - work in progress - RAL 7021 make-up on an underused pig.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Dub's Dnepr

Russian bikes are not a mode of transport - they are a test of character.

It's always DneprTime

#13 charlie23

charlie23

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, Booze and Art. Pretty much in that order.

Posted 01 August 2006 - 04:03 AM

I think that the 'international' members of the forum will appreciate your sentiments.
I think we want a forum about Russian/Ukrainian bikes - not US politics. I know I do.

As an "international member" myself, I don't mind an occasional browse through political / religious rants. It gives me some insight towards various views and opinions that are held back in the US as well as other countries.
But they have a place, and that place is whatever / rant & rave. It isn't in the other threads, and they certainly shouldn't be used to hijack other threads.
Which is exactly what Glenn has said.
If you look at the stats here, the preponderance of posts are still in Russian Motorcycle World and Nuts & Bolts. I hardly think RIMC is becoming a "political forum" but obviously it needs to be addressed.
Just my 2 стотинки.
Charlie's Vintage Kustoms
Flesh & Relics Blog (NSFW)
1953 M72
1956 Izh Planeta
1961 M61
1978 MT11
1982 Yamaha XS1100
1986 Suzuki VS750GL

#14 B. Lenin

B. Lenin

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 04:16 PM

I have been thinking the same thing myself, just not so good with the words part of it.
Thanks for saying what I was thinking.
Paul Yarnold aka B. Lenin aka Crow
'03 Tourist "Boris Bzdenok"
Axles Of Evil - NorthWet Pod
CURD Ambassador, NorthWet Pod
AMA - USCA - eieio
http://www.cafepress.com/boogerbrigade

#15 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 01 August 2006 - 04:56 PM

Let's see now, cutting off debate, I thought I  suggested that a few weeks ago, and  some thought I was against free speech, not so.  Glenn has stated it so much better than I, Thanks Glenn.....  :( ...Ken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users