• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 gspell68

gspell68

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts
  • Interests:Keeping at least one of these two f*(k!^6 bikes running!

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:33 AM

No, no, no...

Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

Attached Files

Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
http://sites.google....site/foilheadz/
1951 K-750 (The Bull, БУЛ)
1962 K-750 (The Beast, БИСТ)
1959 M-72M Solo Rust Buc-Kit Bike

Sidecars are for b!#(*$.
Anyone who rides in that is automatically your b!#(*.
-Garden State

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
-Alexei Sayle

Real motorcycles have kickstarters and real men use them!
-Me

Cheap - Reliable - Fast
Pick any 2 and the last one won't apply!

#62 sgtbrown

sgtbrown

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Interests:Military Collecting
    Riding 3 Wheels

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:52 AM

Serious Black, on Aug 26 2006, 11:27 PM, said:

(Lots of snipping)
I can't remember what the compression ratios were but I wouldn't be surprised if the Indian Bullet had a lower one.
Indian Enfields (like mine, anyhow) are a whopping 6.5 to 1 compression ratio. Helps them to run on the garbo-gas available in India. The dammed things will run on Cherry Slurpie! :cheers:

Sarge
Thomas P. Brown
2004 Ural Retro Rig "Boris Badenov"
1973 VW Thing "Das Kubel"
http://www.sidecarsarge.webs.com

#63 mr_ural

mr_ural

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:33 AM

I just sold my Enfield and bought a Ural.  The main reason was that I wanted a sidecar and I didn't have the negotiating skills to manage two bikes.  Also, to fit a sidecar to the Bullet was going to cost me almost as much as the Night Sentry that I bought.

When I got my Bullet from its first owner ('99 500, kick start only, 11,000 miles) it was in beautiful shape but dead stock mechanically.  He said that he'd left it that way on purpose because, in reading the Bullet news groups, it seemed that people induced their own mechanical troubles by trying to add peroformace options.

I think he was right.  In the two years that I owned it, my only problems were a battery (it came with the original) and some parts coming off because I neglected to keep an eye on their tightness (the manuals keep telling you this but I sort of read over that part ... never anyting serious).  I also kept it on a battery tender.  It never failed to start 1st or 2nd kick and got a consistent 70 mpg.

I made the mistake of fitting a solo seat because it looked pretty cool.  I'm not your typical Indian or British rider, and it made the bike too small.  So, I put the dual seat back on.

The point here is that, like Urals I suppose, Bullets are NOT garbage.  They're just an older technology and require that you appreciate their 'eccentricities.'

Besides, I've got the BMW when I don't want to do too much wrenching. :D

Rod in Tucson
'00 Ural Night Sentry
'04 BMW R1200C
Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best regards

Rod in Tucson

'06 Harley XL1200R - "Abby"

"How great life is if you just accept the small gifts and don't waste time on wishes."- Clinton "Bubba" Hare,  Airheads Beemer Club
"OOP ... ACK ... THHHPT" - Bill the Cat

#64 Ragman

Ragman

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, Machines, Photographs.

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:33 AM

gspell68, on Aug 27 2006, 08:33 AM, said:

No, no, no...

Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem
Can you imagine trying to get that contraption up a hill.  150 whopping cee cees of amazing Italian Power...  What was anyone thinking making that thing.
2011 Gear Up
2010 TW200

Sold: 05 Patrol, Royal Enfield Bullet, HD Sportster, TW200, XT500, and many more..

#65 gspell68

gspell68

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts
  • Interests:Keeping at least one of these two f*(k!^6 bikes running!

Posted 28 August 2006 - 01:26 AM

Can you imagine trying to get that contraption up a hill.

I can imagine downhill is twice as fun with those itty-bitty brakes!!!
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
http://sites.google....site/foilheadz/
1951 K-750 (The Bull, БУЛ)
1962 K-750 (The Beast, БИСТ)
1959 M-72M Solo Rust Buc-Kit Bike

Sidecars are for b!#(*$.
Anyone who rides in that is automatically your b!#(*.
-Garden State

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
-Alexei Sayle

Real motorcycles have kickstarters and real men use them!
-Me

Cheap - Reliable - Fast
Pick any 2 and the last one won't apply!

#66 Ragman

Ragman

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:11 AM

It would fit quite well with an Enfield then...  The Brakes on the pre disc Bullets are not the very best.  I went for a long ride on the Bullet today (yesterday) and noticed the lack of brakes three or four times.  Anticipation is a wonderful tool of braking.  RE makes a Disk brake kit, that I will buy, just as soon as my cash crunch releases the grip it has round my throat.

I was looking into sidecars again, not for a Bullet, but as a long distance cruise machine, and came across a site dedicated to those weird vespa hacks...  Seems like they are popular.
2011 Gear Up
2010 TW200

Sold: 05 Patrol, Royal Enfield Bullet, HD Sportster, TW200, XT500, and many more..

#67 Baxter's driver

Baxter's driver

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:2006 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100<br />2005 KLR 650<br />2004 Ural Tourist

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:32 PM

I've ridden a 250cc Stella scooter with a hack attached.  Good for in town giggles, but that's about it.  Plus you'd have to be a munchkin to fit in the hack.

Ural rules!
Once you go hack, you'll never go back.

------------------------------------------
2004 Ural Tourist

tapping foot waiting for Ural ST to become available

2005 KLR 650 in faster, er, dustier red color

#68 Ragman

Ragman

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:28 AM

Just so I could say 'I've done it' I would like to get hold of one for a ride..
2011 Gear Up
2010 TW200

#69 csbdr

csbdr

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, flyfishing, riding to flyfishing, bluegrass, playing guitar and banjo, my boy (should have put him first!), camping

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:33 AM

I love the Enfield because it is so unique!  Just as cool as a Ural, even if it does have 2 wheels!  I took off the "military" ammo cans and frame, and the crashguard (trimmed about 45 pounds!) and put in a Baker ignition, larger front sprocket, Amal 30mm carb, and Goldstar exhaust. The bike now runs great! (also put it back to right side shift) Unfortunately I'm now running it harder which has exposed a done in head gasket, but that's fixable.  They have their share of problems but no worse than the Ural does, and require TLC. I have more people stop me and ask "what year is that?" with the Enfield than the Ural! I think the O.D. green looks like that utilitarian green paint alot of OEM's used in the 20's-40's, so it adds to the "antique" aura surrounding the bike. Garbage? No way!
2002 Ural Tourist - "Pikop Andropov" 29,500
2003 Yamaha RoadStar
2009 Royal Enfield C5

#70 Baxter's driver

Baxter's driver

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:2006 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100<br />2005 KLR 650<br />2004 Ural Tourist

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:44 PM

I'll admit the military model still makes me go "hmmm" but instead of buying a new Enfield I popped for a '75 BMW R90/6 for half what a new RE costs.

Then in this months "Motorcycle Consumer News" they had an article about Royal Enfield may be going out of business.
Once you go hack, you'll never go back.

------------------------------------------
2004 Ural Tourist

tapping foot waiting for Ural ST to become available

2005 KLR 650 in faster, er, dustier red color

#71 greenmachine

greenmachine

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:13 PM

The RE is pretty neat and classic. It's got some crappy " classic " systems but also some good options and parts are available. I found them to be quite the shakers. I rode a 447 Victor for a couple years and STILL think the RE is a shaking, hand numbing machine even by thumper standards. You can get more bike for the money elsewhere, but not new. They are pretty cool for a toy though. I'd spend my money on a nice clean used Triumph or BSA classic if it were me, but there is no accounting for taste ..... hence the most excellent sales numbers for RE.
They are " re-organizing" and trimming the product line but I wouldn't expect them to go out of business even though they are probably going to focus more on their more lucrative product lines.

JMHO

kermitski
Former Frog-Meister
Rode around the block a couple times
and got rid of that goofy thing...

#72 Ragman

Ragman

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:59 AM

Baxter's driver, on Aug 29 2006, 10:44 PM, said:

I'll admit the military model still makes me go "hmmm" but instead of buying a new Enfield I popped for a '75 BMW R90/6 for half what a new RE costs.

Then in this months "Motorcycle Consumer News" they had an article about Royal Enfield may be going out of business.
It has been doing that every year for half a century..  if it actually does, there will be a few hundred thousand annoyed Indians.
2011 Gear Up
2010 TW200

#73 csbdr

csbdr

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, flyfishing, riding to flyfishing, bluegrass, playing guitar and banjo, my boy (should have put him first!), camping

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:27 AM

greenmachine, on Aug 29 2006, 11:13 PM, said:

You can get more bike for the money elsewhere, but not new. They are pretty cool for a toy though. I'd spend my money on a nice clean used Triumph or BSA classic if it were me, but there is no accounting for taste .....
I have to admit I got courted by the price for a used bike. Couldn't beat $2400!  BUT, I've spent that much again getting the thing to ride decently and would have been "better off" with a new one. In hindsight, at this point, I'd prolly have been happier overall with a classic Triumph as well and would do that if I could have a "do over".  The Enfield has it's charms, though, and I love it anyway!
2002 Ural Tourist - "Pikop Andropov" 29,500
2003 Yamaha RoadStar
2009 Royal Enfield C5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users