#16 Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:12 PM

"This is gonna be my free time home project"

Soooo, either no children or they have grown up ;-)  That is what has slowed my M66 project.  I shall try to restart it again.  I am looking at my gearbox - it's due for a look-see.  I want to get the old girl done this year. You and Luca are my inspirations to tell the kids to entertain themselves!

#17 Garbage Bear

Garbage Bear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Bmw R71, Ural M72, M61, M63, M67, Kmz K75o, K65o, Dnepr MT.

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:24 PM

:):):)... or ask them to complete the project.

Attached Files

urseemilian@gmail.com
0040  721 888 403

#18 ndanl

ndanl

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:43 PM

so looking at the engine block I realized that I am missing a bolt, should be 3 or 4 bolt holding the gearbox on the block?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

#19 ndanl

ndanl

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:08 PM

View PostMike Goldthorpe, on 07 February 2018 - 03:12 PM, said:

"This is gonna be my free time home project"

Soooo, either no children or they have grown up ;-)  That is what has slowed my M66 project.  I shall try to restart it again.  I am looking at my gearbox - it's due for a look-see.  I want to get the old girl done this year. You and Luca are my inspirations to tell the kids to entertain themselves!
Mike, my son is so excited when I do something on the bike, he enjoy "working" with me, usually he get a wrench or a big screw driver and turn bolts and stuff, anyway he knows that is allowed to do anything only supervised and asking if he is allowed to do things, after all he is only 3y old :))

working 4h/week on the bike is enough to get me disconnected from my job and relax with a beer :))

PS: I am not a mechanic/restorer, so for me is just a hobby :)

#20 Peter Williams

Peter Williams

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:00 PM

Flywheel nut is 36mm, extractor bolts "should be" 10x1.25mm. If the six flywheel pins are worn with grooves - replace them. http://sidecarpro.co...aft-clutch.html is a good source for parts, though you may have a local supplier - the CJ clutch is the same as the M-63.

Sorry, originally left out the 2 in 1.25

#21 Vance Blosser

Vance Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Good Science Fiction. Doing maintenance on older vehicles. Riding the Ural. Unusual vehicles.

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:54 PM

I don't know about your specific model but on the Urals I have seen they have 3 studs for the transmission, and 1 bolt that comes in from the engine side (front right bottom) that threads into the transmission. So there are 4 total bit if you were looking at it as a pile of parts it may not be obvious.

#22 ndanl

ndanl

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:53 AM

a few more questions I have:

how do I check the connecting rods for worn bearings ?

can I replace the bearings or do I have to change the whole connecting rod ?

how do I check the crankshaft for worn ?

Thanks

#23 luca.stere

luca.stere

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:25 PM

My friend, if you are asking this questions you are not able to fix your engine.

My advice is to find a mechanic.

#24 Vance Blosser

Vance Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Good Science Fiction. Doing maintenance on older vehicles. Riding the Ural. Unusual vehicles.

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:39 PM

Your bike has ball bearings supporting the crankshaft, and needle roller bearings on the connecting rods. Hence they are one piece and do NOT come apart like a shell bearing crankshaft. The crankshaft is in 5 pieces and is pressed together around the connecting rods. You may find an old document stating that you can take the crank apart for service in practice it almost never works. If the crankshaft or connecting rods are worn out you will have to obtain a new one. This may take some digging as the Ural factory doesn't have the machinery to make the 650 cranks any more and stocks are drying up. And some enterprising person may be rebuilding them.

#25 Garbage Bear

Garbage Bear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:51 PM

... in a specialized crank shaft repair workshop. The guy I know do only repair crank shaft from 4o years with this manual press. Is a Master

Attached Files

urseemilian@gmail.com
0040  721 888 403

#26 ndanl

ndanl

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:13 PM

View Postluca.stere, on 08 February 2018 - 01:25 PM, said:

My friend, if you are asking this questions you are not able to fix your engine.

My advice is to find a mechanic.
I am fully aware that I may not be able to do it all in my garage as I am missing the knowledge and important tools like a press and other specific tools that are unsual for a normal user.

I was asking just for my knowledge, so I can decide between buying new assembly or go to a shop and get it rebuild if needed.

#27 Garbage Bear

Garbage Bear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:16 PM

Truth is that is very very difficult to repair an engine with no mecanical knowledge and experience. Forum advice's helps but will not start an engine. Is not easy to make good decisions to relies on your engine.
urseemilian@gmail.com
0040  721 888 403

#28 Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:44 PM

Unfortunately daughters aren't that interested....I might have taken them to too many old timer events ;-)

Google and the forums are a good resource for telling you how stuff goes together.  However, get friendly with an engineer - they have experience which is invaluable.  Something which looks OK to you can, when under their eyes, become useless.  I'm not saying don't try!  Just get a Yoda behind you, Master Luke!

Saying that, the bikes are not that complicated.  Not that many moving parts anywhere.  Engine was not too complicated - just a wee bit of help to let me know if components are OK (as you are asking for) and away I went.  Best the advice comes from someone looking and feeling, as I had.  Assemble and if it feels good, it probably is.  Too tight and it is hard to move - too sloppy and it needs thicker shims.  Then take it to one who knows and they'll tell you to start again :-)  Nothing is as fun as taking something apart multiple times until it is perfect!

Have fun!

#29 Garbage Bear

Garbage Bear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:56 PM

Last Ural M63 which I restore it for a friend of mine, Theodoros Tsakiridis from Thessaloniki.Attached File  P2050206-1632x1224.JPG   218.04K   12 downloads
urseemilian@gmail.com
0040  721 888 403

#30 Vance Blosser

Vance Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:45 PM

Looks good!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users