• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wyowillys46

wyowillys46

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Classic vehicles & Firearms collecting. The two best ways to drain your wallet.

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:03 PM

It's been ages since I've posted over here. I posted this over on Soviet Steeds also. Just seeing if anyone is interested.

I've been talking with a gentleman in Russia by the name of Vlad Turaev regarding custom transmission gearing including a fifth gear option. As I understand, he sells kits for four speed gearboxes in different ratios for the Ural and the Dnepr, and also sells a fifth gear kit only for the Dnepr box. He also sells complete gearboxes, although shipping a kit would no doubt be worlds cheaper than shipping a whole box. I'm planning on ordering a fifth gear kit for the MT804 transmission on my M72 solo later this spring. If I can get a few more people to join in, he's willing to offer a 10% discount. The price I've been quoted is $461 for a 1:1 fifth gear kit.

As an example the fifth gear kit I'd be buying includes:

Primary (input) shaft with low first gear 37/9
Secondary (counter) shaft with drive coupling
5th gear, 23 teeth
5th gear bushing
5th gear fork
5th gear switch-on clutch (the synchro hub)
Dog
Switching disc (the shifter quadrant disc)

Remember that with a fifth gear you will lose reverse. Those in mountainous areas and at high elevation should consider this carefully. But other sets of ratios are available for the 4 speeds in the other boxes. Vlad reports that he is running his five speed kit on a 650 bored out to 772cc and 35/9 (3.89 final drive) an put 11000KMs on it for a month and a half with no problems. I've told him about SS and I will also be posting this over on the Russian Iron forums. He may post up later. I've a PDF that he put together detailing the different gears. I'll see if I can get it attached today. I think he also sells a higher capacity pump.
Morgan

2006 Gear-Up

#2 Peter Williams

Peter Williams

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:51 PM

A friend had dealings with Vlad many years ago when he was based in the Ukraine and was very happy with his workmanship. With the 5-speed gearbox you also lose the auto-clutch system. The Dnepr box he got had the following ratios: 1st 36/10, 2nd 32/14, 3rd 29/18, 4th 26/21 and 5th 23/23. He ran it with a homemade 765 Ural 650 conversion as a solo and was extremely happy with it. Are you sure that you got the price right? Vlad was selling complete 5-speed gearboxes for 15,000 RUB on his VK page a few years ago. Though they had slightly different gearing having the 23/22 fifth gear which I think used standard Dnepr gears rather than custom made gears.

#3 sly-uncle

sly-uncle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:15 PM

maybe someone will be interested in the gears that I make.  examples can be viewed on my page-
https://sly-uncle.io.ua/album328480_4

https://sly-uncle.io.ua/album328480_14

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users