3 replies to this topic

#1 js69

js69

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:26 PM

Hi, I'm checking my gearbox and noticed that the edges of the inner mesh are worn. Is this normal wear and good to go?
The gear is from a CJ750, type 52 (with reverse). I also noticed that the 4th gear is a little noisy. Some high pitched noise. Do you have the same?
Thanks!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:29 AM

Looks like wear caused during shifting?
I don't know what "normal" wear would look like.
~RN

#3 luca.stere

luca.stere

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:38 AM

It's ok, it will still run ok. The noise from the 4th gear could be from the worn gear but with a T140 truck transmission oil will not have noise.

Look here to see the diferrence from a new gear and a worn one:

Attached File  2009.jpg   111.17K   16 downloads

#4 js69

js69

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:57 PM

Not sure about the previous owner(s) and how they did the shifting. When oil/gearbox is cold, the gearbox shifts silently.
Luca, if those are considered worn, I have indeed some more good life left in mine :)
I'm using 140 oil already. Lets see how it turns out when I got everything back together. I only will replace 2 ball bearings (main input, fd output) and the oil seals.
I also ordered a sheet of silicon rubber gasket material. I want to cut out the gaskets and try them. I have been using rubber seals on the engine (BMW R100), and they are simply great. No leaks and everything is nice and dry. Unlike my gearbox, whose seals are leaking a little bit.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users