21 replies to this topic

#16 racepres

racepres

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:27 AM

I run whatever Crap gas is available in the Dnepr...no Ill effects..
Having and had, many old Harleys..I do Not feel Octane is any issue...unless you experience detonation..
In truth too much octane is a bad thing... Don't gotta believe me...look it up..
The octane locally is "enhanced" by adding more Alcohol... Not what I want!!!
89 Octane works fine in 99% of the engines I have!!! Lead??? Not really necessary either.. and can also be a Bad Thing..
These are Not Racing Engines!!!!

#17 Eastwest

Eastwest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Antiques, aviation, vintage vehicles. Good food and wine.

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:10 PM

View Postracepres, on 30 September 2017 - 11:27 AM, said:

I run whatever Crap gas is available in the Dnepr...no Ill effects..
Having and had, many old Harleys..I do Not feel Octane is any issue...unless you experience detonation..
In truth too much octane is a bad thing... Don't gotta believe me...look it up..
The octane locally is "enhanced" by adding more Alcohol... Not what I want!!!
89 Octane works fine in 99% of the engines I have!!! Lead??? Not really necessary either.. and can also be a Bad Thing..
These are Not Racing Engines!!!!

Thanks everyone for their comments.   I wanted to visit this topic because fuel technology has changed since this bike was built in 1957.   Has the fuel advancement helped my bikes performance and engine wear?...it seems NOT.   Lead additives?   Could be useless but it seems reasonable to use it...just an extra touch of love.   Choice of the owner.   Here she is running with the original carbs put back on..95 octane and lead addititve.  https://youtu.be/IrXNsKWm3-8

#18 racepres

racepres

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:47 AM

Lead additive is a waste IMO...But, If it makes you feel better....
I do believe in a shot of Marvel Mystery Oil here and there..Makes Me feel better!!!
LOL

#19 Solly

Solly

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:29 PM

Since this topic has come up.....Ive done a little research. Seems very few that assert that lead has no lubricating effect can not quantify or care to expound proofs otherwise. On the same note there are few proofs to the contrary. Did note that one enviromental chemist who wrote a paper for Columbia university Jo Niragu asserts it to be a lubricant. Although I must admit a unconventional one. Not to reduce friction but like teflon to not allow deposits to adhere or " stick" to surfaces. Those that hold to one or the other overall would have a hard time showing imperical truths. Hope that helps.

#20 racepres

racepres

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:55 AM

Long ago...when unleaded was mandated. Gloom and doom was predicted upon our beloved Ironhead, Shovelhead, and older Harleys, as well as our British rides etc...
Many Unscrupulous "shops" and some simply un-knowing, made a bit of cash "converting" engines to Unleaded spec. [valve seats, among other other parts]. Many of us did not Panic, taking a "wait/ride/see" attitude...Most of us still have those same old Bikes..
Some of the converted ones were done poorly, and the seats failed!! Unmolested ones...like Mine are just fine thank you.
Matters Not what Lead does Scientifically...Matters what it's Worth is!!!
One Note...It is a Fact that the first introduction of fuel grade Lead, increases Octane exponentially...Now that is a Good thing... If [Big Word] you Need more Octane...My Russians do Not.

#21 Solly

Solly

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:50 PM

I can see your point there.it does seem to not being an issue overall when taking into consideration that these older vehicles are not pushed or used quite as hard as newer ones.Some minor adjustments with minimal reduced performance would probably suffice in most cases for unwanted effects of not using it.

#22 m mccray

m mccray

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:most anything with a motor.

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:59 PM

Run it until it needs a valve job then install hardened seats and good valves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users