Birdy

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, duh!
    Computers, fly fishing and Parrots, I have three

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:45 PM

Made it home with no real problem, only scared myself half to death a couple of times. It's different...really different and right hand turns get my attention big time. And I found it's a Moose to turn and wore me out on the trip home, over 100 miles. Oh and NO ONE called a Ural fast...ever! BUT It wasn't the ordeal I'd been lead to expect. Keep left in the lane, yes it wags on braking or accelerating...deal with it, watch what the drivers are doing as stopping takes a bit. And most importantly as I was told if you think you're going slow enough you best slow down a bit more. I'm a slow poke anyway and I found going with what the Yellow warning sighs said was a bit faster than I wanted. Of course I had left "George" at home...that's the big bag of sand I bought So about halfway home I stopped and bought "George Jr." a smaller 50# bag, it seemed to make a difference. When I got home I found that it will just fit and I mean JUST beside my Versys in my little garage.

And yes UDF must be planned for as every stop I made there was at least one person wanting to know all about the Ural. I stopped a lot to cool the bike down a grab a cold bottle of water or pop for myself as it was a very hot day and the windshield, larger than a barn door, stops all the breeze that could have cooled me off. It's so tall I end up with the top right in my line of vision, I plan to cut off 3"-4" and sand the edge down. Unless I just take it off for the summer...hot!

I have yet to find the trick to shifting the beast without a crunchBANG, mainly on the upshift. Anyone care to give a little guidance to me on this? The dash light in the gauge are useless as the sun washes them right out and I can't see a thing without covering then enough to block the light. Not a good setup IMHO. Add to that I think I did something to the speedometer when I was putting my little handlebar bag on it shows me 25 MPH tops, I know the Ural's not a sppd king BUT it is faster that that. I'll have to call the shop on Monday and see what the setting should be and check the settings I guess unless someone here knows and would be willing to share.

I did spring for the front bumper, I plan to mount some light I have on the and wasn't planning to drill a bunch of holes in the tub and I got a gas can and spout. I also picked a couple of filter a spare tube and hit up AutoZone and got 4 QTs of Valvoline 20w50 and a bottle of Valvoline 80-90w gear oil. I'll change all the fluids tomorrow and again at 500 miles then go by the book. It's nice not to have to lube the chain when I get home...been years since I have this treet, Sold the Buell in 2007 and the Beemer in 2000.

Everyone who talked to me, and that was more than one, when I stopped liked the color. I guess it was worth the extra cash and I got a deal on it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I had gone over Friday to put a down payment on a Burgundy one but it was going to take a couple of months to get. He sold me the Orange one at the deal. I am happy but I'd been up for over 24 hours and had a long day ahead of me and didn't get to be until after 11:00 that night. I work third shift and the photo was taken about 10:00 in the morning. Plus it's a 60+ mile trip over for me...one way. That paper on the front of the bike is the SOLD stay off sign they put on at Heindl

Posted Image

#2 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:01 AM

Congrats!
Glad you made it home safely. Especially after all that awake time!
I really like that color. High visibility is a good thing on the road.
Now enjoy the experience!
~RN

#3 Birdy

Birdy

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:36 PM

View PostRuss Noe, on 05 June 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

Congrats!
Glad you made it home safely. Especially after all that awake time!
I really like that color. High visibility is a good thing on the road.
Now enjoy the experience!
~RN

Thank' You Russ, I didn't pick it until the Saturday day so had some needed sleep. I am crazy not too stupid (most of the time anyway) and knew not to ride it home on Friday. And anyway I had to talk to the bank, the insurance Co. I had to see a lawyer, nothing bad, and then I had a Dr's app, a real PITA...I mean a REAL piin, one shot in each are and then one in the tush!

#4 Spiritwalker

Spiritwalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

Very nice.  Enjoy the smile/mile.

#5 Vance Blosser

Vance Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Good Science Fiction. Doing maintenance on older vehicles. Riding the Ural. Unusual vehicles.

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:16 PM

To avoid crunching on upshifts just slow down on the shift. The engine has a 12 lb flywheel and takes a bit to spin down, if you shift like a normal bike it doesn't have time so just add a bit of time to the shift procedure and you should soon hit the sweet spot.

#6 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:43 AM

View PostVance Blosser, on 05 June 2017 - 08:16 PM, said:

To avoid crunching on upshifts just slow down on the shift. The engine has a 12 lb flywheel and takes a bit to spin down, if you shift like a normal bike it doesn't have time so just add a bit of time to the shift procedure and you should soon hit the sweet spot.
Sage advice and description from Vance, as always.
Without any sort of synchromesh, you need to use timing instead.
~RN

#7 Birdy

Birdy

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:51 AM

Thank you for the tip. I have started to get a hang on it and the grinding has gone away for the most part. I am getting a little more comfortable the more I ride, but not cocky! I have a couple of large parking lots near by and am doing figure "8"s and have laid out a 20' circle as per one of the book on sidecars I have and am work on clockwise and counter-clockwise turns plus braking runs . A police officer stop to see what was up and had more questions about the bike and what I was doing...go figure, but he left me to my practice after asking me to be careful.

#8 Vance Blosser

Vance Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Good Science Fiction. Doing maintenance on older vehicles. Riding the Ural. Unusual vehicles.

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:17 PM

We all started as novices. The only way to really learn is to do and experiment. And practicing in a safe  place is a great idea. A local school let me use the parking lot (it was summer). Very helpful later.

#9 Pavel

Pavel

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:22 AM

That bike in that color, or perhaps a light tan (for the sun and heat of the South of the USA) is my DREAM bike.  At the rate I'm able to save it will be about three years before I can afford one, so I take a lot of solace in dreaming.

Gorgeous. Does your Ural have a name yet?

#10 racepres

racepres

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:00 PM

View PostPavel, on 20 June 2017 - 10:22 AM, said:

That bike in that color, or perhaps a light tan (for the sun and heat of the South of the USA) is my DREAM bike.  At the rate I'm able to save it will be about three years before I can afford one, so I take a lot of solace in dreaming.

Gorgeous. Does your Ural have a name yet?

LOL
It does now...Gorgeous!!!!!

My Ural is named..."Jaynes Bike"
My Dnepr is named...."the nipper"!!!!!! By Jayne. My name for it is "pick-up truck"  LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users