• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 jester 303

jester 303

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:50 PM

hi all I need to get a new battery for my 1960 Dnepr kmz 750m when I got the bike there was no battery in it . so I haven't a clue what it needs apart from a 6 volt one :huh2: would like to no what would be the correct one ,what amps etc  I am think ing  of a YAUSA type or any . and what type of NGK spark plugs as well . any info would be great thanks

#2 shoetou

shoetou

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Interests:riding my MT16, hunting fishing ,

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:10 PM

any battery you can fit in that spot will work . as for spark plugs you got to know what you have short or long reach and I assume they should be 3/4 dia
Marko

2008 Dnepr mt 16 true year any body's guess

There is more to life than increasing its speed
__ Mahatma Gandhi ___

if only the mt 16 could go 50 mph

I think a good name for my MT 16 is (the bad girl) every body wants to ride her but nobody wants to take her home )

1980 Harley Davidson wide glide work in process to restore
2004 Harley sportster
2002 Honda A.C.E.
2014 Indian Chieftain
2013 Honda BIG RED

#3 jester 303

jester 303

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:59 AM

thanks Marco for that info . there is room for a good size battery I will see what my local bike shop can come up with . the old plugs in the bike were covered in paint from a over  spray that it must of had in its past life . I have cleaned the tops off  they are short reach one is a BOSCH super R6-965. the other is what must be possibly a Russian one of some age . I will try and find out what replacement NGK ones will fit . again thanks for your help :smile:  kevin

#4 Serious Black

Serious Black

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,636 posts
  • Interests:Bikes
    History
    Engine tuning

Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:46 AM

NGK BP6HS or their Denso equivalent. The Brisk N15CYC works good too (Kjøpes i Biltema). Bosch I haven't used in years 'cos' they were crap. Have they improved any in the last 15-20 years?
The devil is in the detail.

#5 jester 303

jester 303

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:01 AM

cheers for the plugs ID . its all helpful info. and will  set me off in the right direction . when I get the plugs and some new HT  leads I can see if I have a spark

#6 harleych

harleych

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:45 AM

I like to have spare small UPS battery on a board..

#7 luca.stere

luca.stere

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 04:31 AM

Serious Black, on 25 February 2017 - 05:46 AM, said:

Have they improved any in the last 15-20 years?

No.

In Romania we use Brisk or Sinterom (romanians sparkplugs), the best for old engines. I am thinking (now) to sell Sinterom on ebay...

#8 Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:10 PM

I've got one of these in my BMW (6 volt) hidden in an old style case http://www.batterywe...onobloc.  BMW has a magneto so the battery is just for lights...and these are now LED.  For your Dnepr you should be able to get 2 of these in series (is it series to maintain 6 volts?  Check on that...) in a Lucas style box which should fit the holder (if Dneprs are like Urals) which should help with the coil ignition.

#9 racepres

racepres

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:26 AM

Mike Goldthorpe, on 26 February 2017 - 09:10 PM, said:

I've got one of these in my BMW (6 volt) hidden in an old style case http://www.batterywe...obloc.  BMW has a magneto so the battery is just for lights...and these are now LED.  For your Dnepr you should be able to get 2 of these in series (is it series to maintain 6 volts?  Check on that...) in a Lucas style box which should fit the holder (if Dneprs are like Urals) which should help with the coil ignition.
Parallel wiring [pos to pos and neg to neg] give six volts with more amp hours...if wired in Series...[pos to neg] 12v results at the remaining pos and neg...
HTH

#10 jester 303

jester 303

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:11 AM

when it comes to the electrics ime  a real novice . what was left of the original wireing  loom was rot so I have brought a new one and the idear is to make it as bum basic as possible just head tail lights no indicators . its a learn on the job . in other words I have been look ing at wire ing  looms on the net so I can follow . some thing fool proof . when that is sorted I can then see or try to get a spark so as to find out what will need replace ing . I would like to put a contactless ingnition  to do a way with the points . all so I had the idear of going 12 volt but some say good idear  some not stick with what you have. so a lot to think about :huh2:

#11 jim.mt10

jim.mt10

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:12 AM

Hi,Jester
  You could try making a brand new loom from scratch, it's not as difficult as you may
think, in fact it might be easier than trying to figure out what to do with some loom you buy
which may not even suit your needs or bike.
   Buy yourself a few meters of good quality wiring in as many colours as you need
(Not that many if you're keeping it simple) and connectors, I got mine from autoelectricsupplies.co.uk
You will end up with a very high quality loom and you'll know where everything is,because you put it there.
  As for the 6 volt/12 volt debate I don't know, but why don't you run it as it is until you find out whether
you can live with 6 volts or not?
   Good luck
    Jim

#12 racepres

racepres

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:25 AM

First...I completely agree with Wire it yourself...with a start from scratch loom.
I do lots of Wiring from scratch...Including my Dneper, and full Dressed Harleys...to Drag Bikes...
I have suggestions starting with.
2] Checking the ignition ...a great idea, easy too.
I would start there...Once the ignition is sorted...may as well wire it...then Lights, then signals then...whatever crap ya deem necessary...Horn, accessories etc.
Easy way to check ignition is to simply put a battery in it..Grounded, Then one wire to the hot side of coil, and roll it over...Troubleshoot from there... remembering to unhook the hot when not actively troubleshooting...
I have a Pretty good Dnepr wiring diagram around here someplace...12v tho.

#13 jester 303

jester 303

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:59 PM

thanks for the  advice . strangely enough I was looking over the new loom I brought and thought what a bloody mess bits to go every where . your tip on make ing my own from scratch sounds to me the best way forward if any one out there has a easy follow home made how to wire it on a bit of paper pass it on please

#14 racepres

racepres

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:13 PM

I do...and also a Drawing...
Drop me a PM, as I will probably need to E-mail you the stuff..or...I think my email is in my profile?? maybe

#15 jester 303

jester 303

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:31 PM

brilliant ile send you a pm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users