Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:18 PM

Id sooner use JB Weld.

#17 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:59 AM

I think it would be a challenge to get porous castings clean enough to bond properly with paints of any type!
~RN

#18 palotas80

palotas80

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:38 AM

Hi All,
Hopefully Smoothmachines problem with the box is now solved,as the original post was a while ago, but for future reference I would like to share my recent experience to this story...
I had the exact same problem after I assembled the box, every gear selected fine but the fourth. All new parts( forks etc...) so that wasn’t a problem... Took it apart, to see what’s wrong and after a little thinking I realised the source of the problem.
On the secondary ( or output...) shaft, when you remove the “bottom” bearing ( the one on the engine end of the box) the 4th gear comes loose as well. It slid off for me too and when I put that back it was the wrong way around, so the selector ring was unable to slide onto the gears( obviously...)
So bearing off again, turned that gear around, so the selector teeth faced towards the rest of the gears on that shaft. Put the whole thing back together again, and the problem was solved :)
Sometimes it’s just user error :) :) :)
I hope it helps...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users