#1 ND URAL RIDER

ND URAL RIDER

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 07:58 PM

Good Evening,

I recently read an article In which you recommended 26mm carbs for older Urals. Would you possibly have any starting points for carb settings (needle, pilot, main, float)? I am at 1500 ft of elevation.
Thank you in advance

#2 Ural Bob

Ural Bob

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:36 PM

I thought the Mikunis were 28mm , Air screw is 1.1/2 out from seated for a primary setting, floats should be parallel to the body.
Setting slides for synk ,take the air boots off and raise the slides to the top of the boars and make them the same so you feel them just at the top. This is for full throttol.
Idle is a little harder if you don't have vacuum ports .

Clip on the needle start in the middle if it stumbles off Idle raise the needle and see how it reacts  

Jets I am not sure start with what you have and see if it runs OK the plugs should be a tan color

There is a Mikuni tuning guide on the net for VM carbs that is detailed

#3 rbike

rbike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:18 PM

Got mikuni on m72, starts with 1st kick, runs really well, cold or hot.
Ural Gear Up
Volvo BV202
M72N
CJ750
Mt11
K750M

#4 Vance Blosser

Vance Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Good Science Fiction. Doing maintenance on older vehicles. Riding the Ural. Unusual vehicles.

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:23 PM

I was told that the very first Urals sold in the US had 26mm Mikuni carbs but they soon switched to 28mm units. My 94 had 28 mm Mikuni carbs.

#5 Obo Scribe

Obo Scribe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:00 AM

I had VM28s on my M63, once I had them set up they were great, very reliable starter and runner.

#6 Ural Bob

Ural Bob

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:27 PM

VM 28 are no longer available , at least what I was told by my local Mikuni Distributor. I do have a set of 2 that were on my 95 Tourist and I would sell them. They have Viton  tipped float needles. EU heads have a different center to center distance for the carb mount . I use a different compliance fitting on Mikuni carbs that have a vacuum port for idle balance and checking cable balance when the slides are off the idle screws. 630-336-9185 Bob Lewis Chicago area

I use to drill out the flange to 8mm ,but I have found 8mmx6mm stepped studs , and have had no issue , I also reccomend the phenolic  heat dams and 4 intake gaskets to reduce heat transfer from the head to the rubber of compliance fitting.

I do have a 650 engine that has spigot mounted Mikunis  and steel compliance fittings  thoes might be the 26mm mentioned ,  the carb tops are missing , I would need to check my distributor to see if tops and rings are avalable.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users