4 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Bigham

Paul Bigham

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:32 PM

New member here. I recently bought a 2003 Tourist with 15000 Km. When is it recommended to repack wheel bearing? So far I have changed all fluids.Replace U joint and gas lines. So far it runs good but seems to cough or back fire a little til warm. I have been adding Sea Foam to the fuel. Funny story the person I bought it from told me it was a 3 speed. I drove it 50 miles home not trying for 4th gear. After finding this site I couldnt wait to get home and try 4th gear. Works fine. Thanks for this site. Lots of Information.

#2 Wooden Nickel

Wooden Nickel

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:01 AM

Welcome to the site Paul.
With a  2003 and 15000 km, I would at want to repack the wheel bearings.  You might want to check the steering head bearings as well.  You can just put it on the center stand, sit on the bike seat and shake the handlebars.  It probably would be best to repack the steering head but shaking the bars will tell you if you have a dire need.  While you have it on the center stand, check the swing arm pivot.  Did you grease the drive shaft and wheel splines when you put the U-joint?
Hope you enjoy your new toy.
Nick

#3 lwcollmann

lwcollmann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles& coin hunting with metal detector.

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:41 AM

for the coughing and backfire. I would call terry Crawford and see if it needs to be rejected. The carbs might have the stock jets in it.
LLoyd

#4 racepres

racepres

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:47 AM

No one , no matter who it is, can jet a carb without being Present...
There are some known band-aids.
If it is a CV type carb [too lazy to research] I would simply put a thin washer under the needle and try it...
If it runs well [no cough] warm...it is not Broken, Can't fix it!!!

#5 Paul Bigham

Paul Bigham

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:48 PM

Thanks for the tips. I did grease the splines on the drive shaft. I will check and grease the others soon. I wasnt to worried about the coughing when cold. Just wanted to make sure everything is in good working order for next season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users