#1 Paddy

Paddy

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:01 PM

Hi
I've recently bought my first Ural, a 650 1986 which is great and I'm loving it. The only issue I have is that it has a breather outlet on the right side of the engine that constantly emits a mist of oil. After a 5 mile ride the right engine casing is dripping with oil which leaves a puddle a few inches square on the ground. The pistons and rings were done last year so I wouldn't expect them to be blowing so much past the rings. I also expected there to be a breather tube with on the outlet but it seems to just breathe into the air. Is this correct? Has anyone any ideas what may be causing this amount of blow-by? Is there a device somewhere inside the breather that should stop this? If anyone can suggest anything I would be grateful.

Thanks

Nick Nack

#2 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 19 October 2016 - 09:46 AM

Nick:
Your 650 engine may have originally had a 90 degree plastic fitting that directed the breather outlet aft to the air intake to recycle any oil back into the cylinders. At least that's how later Ural 650s were plumbed.

Also, there is a rotating disk inside the engine front that "times" the opening of the crankcase to the breather.
From your description of so much oil coming out, I suspect that disk was not timed correctly when assembled. A front-end partial disassembly is required to correct this.
Refer to the available resources here to learn how to do this.
I have not personally done this process, but others can help you more.
~RN

#3 Paddy

Paddy

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:09 PM

Thank you Russ. I had heard talk of a mechanical timing but didn't know what it was. It makes sense and is a great help to me.

Paddy

#4 Vance Blosser

Vance Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Good Science Fiction. Doing maintenance on older vehicles. Riding the Ural. Unusual vehicles.

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:53 PM

If you look down the hole it should open up when the pistons are at bottom dead center. The idea was that this would vent the crankcase air, then the valve rotates closed which causes a partial vacuum to form in the crankcase. This helped prevent oil from leaking out past the paper and cork gaskets.

Someone may have removed the valve, if the hole remains open through rotation then it has been removed.

Terry Crawford has the replacement plastic elbow that screws into here, and I'm sure he has the valve also.

#5 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:26 AM

Thank you Vance, for the additional information. When I noted that others here could help, I was actually thinking of you!
Helpful, as always.
~Russ

#6 Paddy

Paddy

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:08 PM

Yes, thank you both. Very useful info. Gives me something to do over the winter months!

Paddy

#7 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:11 AM

View PostPaddy, on 20 October 2016 - 03:08 PM, said:

Yes, thank you both. Very useful info. Gives me something to do over the winter months!

Paddy
Please share what you discover.
~RN

#8 SafetyBob

SafetyBob

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:56 PM

Yes please let us know....

Great help guys!