• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lucky

Lucky

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Playing Music, Wrenching on my Ural and Harleys.

Posted 21 July 2016 - 10:57 AM

Haven't posted on here in a while, but honestly my ural has been running great....  It's a 2002 Tourist.  Anyways, it runs fine through town and up to around 45MPH, but as soon as I throttle up to try and hit 50MPH or above it starts missing out real bad, and stumbling.  I am assuming it's a carb problem, but does anyone have any ideas where to start?  Should I just tear the carbs apart, or try something simpler first?  I've changed plugs, and checked fuel flow out of the filters its good.  Any advice/help would be appreciated!

Thank you!
"I'm gonna buy me a barrel of Whiskey, I'll die before I turn Senile!" - Cry a while- Bob Dylan

#2 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:59 PM

Clean the pet cock and its screen first. That (gas starvation) is the most common cause of high speed stumbling.
The carbs are pretty static devices and not likely to change much over time, unless dirt get's in them.
Check the pet cock first.
~RN

#3 Lucky

Lucky

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Playing Music, Wrenching on my Ural and Harleys.

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:57 AM

You would suspect that even, with a really good flow out of the filters when its just sitting still?  I'll try it, easy first step.  Thanks!
"I'm gonna buy me a barrel of Whiskey, I'll die before I turn Senile!" - Cry a while- Bob Dylan

#4 racepres

racepres

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:26 AM

Check that air cleaner while you are at it...Sounds like mine does when I get the air filter wet...

#5 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:54 AM

View Postracepres, on 26 July 2016 - 08:26 AM, said:

Check that air cleaner while you are at it...Sounds like mine does when I get the air filter wet...
Excellent suggestion!
~RN

#6 racepres

racepres

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:04 AM

While I have yer ear Russ...Is there a K&N filter for the '07 Tourist airbox??
Or..should I just use the Dimensions Search on the K&N site?

#7 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:54 AM

View Postracepres, on 26 July 2016 - 10:04 AM, said:

While I have yer ear Russ...Is there a K&N filter for the '07 Tourist airbox??
Or..should I just use the Dimensions Search on the K&N site?
I honestly don't know. Research is in order.  I'd be surprised is K&N did NOT have a filter to fit.
I'll check my supplies in my new garage to see what I've got.
Not helpful. Sorry.
~Russ

#8 racepres

racepres

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:17 PM

By dimension..without actually removing my filter, It looks as tho the K&N E-3330 is the closest fit.
6-1/8"OD,5-1/8"ID,2-1/16"H
do you have one Out just now??

#9 rbike

rbike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:47 PM

Funny enough, by the description, mine done similar thing some time ago. Thought timing is out or carbs are starving of fuel.  Because had gunson colortune somwhere lost, I was messing about carbs, timing, coil, spark plugs, and as a last resort I took air filter out.  And guess what? Runs without problem. It may not solve your motorbike problem, but it is one of the realistic point of possible problem.
Ural Gear Up
Volvo BV202
M72N
CJ750
Mt11
K750M

#10 Anonymous5

Anonymous5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:01 AM

If you're looking for a K&N replacement for the stock 750 airbox, take a look at the E-2470

http://www.knfilters...spx?prod=e-2470

#11 JPanyon

JPanyon

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:12 PM

Easy way to clean tank filter screen, once you've got it on your bench.  Materials:  tube of Colgate or Crest tooth paste, 1 old toothbrush, couple of ear swabs, small cup of water.  Carefully detach the screen assembly from the petcock, dip it in the water while you lay out a glop of toothpaste on the bench.  Dip the toothbrush in the paste and scoop up a glob.  Take the screen assembly and SOFTLY brush the outer portions of the screen thoroughly.  Rinse it off.  Grab swabs, dip 'em in the paste, and brush out  the interior portion of the screen.  Swish the filter in water 'til its clean.  Should now look good as when new.  Cost = next to nothing.  Time = about five minutes.  Caustic materials = zero.  Wife irritation factor = zero

The old style 2002 petcock is another hidden source of fuel clogs, but they are infinitely "renewable"...as the British would say.  All that's required are some o-rings and some cork gasket material from the nearest auto supply store.  Dis-assemble the petcock, clean it with the brush/paste combo, rinse thoroughly, check that all passages are unblocked, assemble with new cork and new o-rings.  I use the arse end of a ball-point pen refill cartridge to punch the required holes in the cork gasket.  My last rebuild was about 7 years ago.

All advice waranteed for 5 mins or 5 miles, whichever comes first, so as to escape irate mobs wishing to do harm to senile gurus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users