Jump to content


Why!


  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 lobofuego

lobofuego

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Joined:01-September 12
  • Gender:Male

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:49 AM

Thought I would have a quick rant, regarding parts pricing, there once was a time I could buy all my Russian bits and bobs at reasonable prices....now the same poor quality stuff is being sold at 4 times the prices it used to be, and I for one will not be supporting the lifestyle of someone, wherever they live, who simply buys cheap and fleeces me for a livin....the japs went this way and eventual sales are hitting rock bottom, ...there are precious few motorcyclists about now....and I am sick of all of this overall crap being touted out via Fleabay and the like....which is killing motorcycling along with the rest of the paracitic system, we are engaged with.....

#2 fatbob

fatbob

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Joined:25-January 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northport, Alabama
  • Interests:Motorcycles & sidecars; guns; reading; music; model building; fishing; small cars

Posted 02 May 2016 - 12:16 PM

Re-Rant...

Welcome to the new millennia, the time where stupidity and greed run hand in hand!  A time where autocrats, bureaucrats and politicians of all ilk run rampant over logic and creativity!  Why repair when you can buy new!?  The battle cry of the new age!  "Spend, Spend, Spend" is the new corporate philosophy.  We must fight them by any means available or we will perish!  Utilize ONLY Mom and Pop local hardware stores and figure ways around the impossible!  I'll shut up now.

#3 Peter Williams

Peter Williams

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Joined:17-December 06

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:43 AM

View Postlobofuego, on 02 May 2016 - 11:49 AM, said:

Thought I would have a quick rant, regarding parts pricing, there once was a time I could buy all my Russian bits and bobs at reasonable prices....now the same poor quality stuff is being sold at 4 times the prices it used to be, and I for one will not be supporting the lifestyle of someone, wherever they live, who simply buys cheap and fleeces me for a livin....the japs went this way and eventual sales are hitting rock bottom, ...there are precious few motorcyclists about now....and I am sick of all of this overall crap being touted out via Fleabay and the like....which is killing motorcycling along with the rest of the paracitic system, we are engaged with.....

What an amazing whinger you are! You begrudge people earning money to support your hobby. Do you realise that if parts cost 4 times the price of 25 years ago, they are actually cheaper than 25 years ago? At an annual inflation rate of 10%, those parts should cost 14 times the price of 25 years ago. But hey, it's all about you, not the people keeping your bike running.

Do you realise that IMZ has not made any 650 parts in over 15 years? Parts supplies eventually dry up and the laws of supply and demand means that rarity increases prices. More bikes have been exported to the west increasing demand, but let's begrudge those Russian and Eastern European suppliers that buy up old stock so that we can get parts.

Instead of whinging, you should be grateful that you can even get parts!

#4 lobofuego

lobofuego

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Joined:01-September 12
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 May 2016 - 05:18 AM

Obviously you have missed the point Peter, whilst you may be happy to pay , it does not justify the recent increases in prices enabled by fleabay and the like, whilst I do understand how a freemarket exists...I do not wish to engage with it in such a way, that  I pay to support parasitic enterprise for greeds sake, and whilst I am "Happy" to pay for my "Hobby".....I will not be Happy  to pay 12K for a new Ural, ...
Whilst you may be, good luck to you.....as for whinger?....well I stand up, rather than grovel at the feet of this messed up world...
And you.....do not know me

#5 Vance Blosser

Vance Blosser

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Joined:04-November 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Winchester VA
  • Interests:Good Science Fiction. Doing maintenance on older vehicles. Riding the Ural. Unusual vehicles.

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:32 PM

I agree with Peter on the price issues, the prices you are seeing on Ebay are the result of supplies drying up. When I was in Russia 11 years ago there were a lot of bad copies of 650 parts available, and at that time there were still factory parts available. With the factory dropping support and a dwindling market for these parts, the remaining ones will continue to escalate in price. The same thing happens to older cars, at first parts are cheap because of all the salvage parts from junkyards, then the prices go up, and finally they are practically unobtainable.

#6 lobofuego

lobofuego

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Joined:01-September 12
  • Gender:Male

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:40 AM

Yes , I do agree with your point that too ,is a consideration...However now that silly season is here, everything goes up Bikes, insurance, cops out revenue raising, and the price of parts, !!...all of these factors , have a net effect around here...only grey haired old farts like me,are on Bikes!!..no youth to speak of...so logically we will dry up first,...this I feel just another part of the relentless march towards the unelected technocracy,  and its clearly lucifarian doctrine, of climbing up, by pulling others down...as we are running out of places to hide!!....anyway..it was just a rant!!

#7 Vance Blosser

Vance Blosser

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Joined:04-November 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Winchester VA
  • Interests:Good Science Fiction. Doing maintenance on older vehicles. Riding the Ural. Unusual vehicles.

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:19 PM

I'm not young myself, retired, so I can relate.

#8 avalon

avalon

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Joined:19-January 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 13 May 2016 - 04:26 AM

View Postlobofuego, on 04 May 2016 - 05:18 AM, said:

and whilst I am "Happy" to pay for my "Hobby".....I will not be Happy  to pay 12K for a new Ural, ...
Whilst you may be, good luck to you.....
  $12,000 for a new Ural! Is that in the US? Down here they go for around $20,000. A price I'm not prepared to pay.
2003 Ural Dalesman
1975 Triumph Bonneville

#9 Bilge Keel Dave

Bilge Keel Dave

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • Joined:28-January 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Olympia, WA
  • Interests:Beautiful Wife, Beer, Bikes, Boats, Books, British Cars.

Posted 13 May 2016 - 12:16 PM

One Australian dollar is .73 U.S. dollar.
RAMCO Dnepr MT-16

#10 avalon

avalon

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Joined:19-January 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 13 May 2016 - 06:14 PM

Even allowing for the current exchange rate, Urals prices in the US are still a lot lower than they are here in Australia, Possibly because of the smaller numbers imported here.
2003 Ural Dalesman
1975 Triumph Bonneville

#11 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Joined:30-August 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northern Oregon, USA
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 14 May 2016 - 09:33 AM

View Postavalon, on 13 May 2016 - 04:26 AM, said:

View Postlobofuego, on 04 May 2016 - 05:18 AM, said:

and whilst I am "Happy" to pay for my "Hobby".....I will not be Happy  to pay 12K for a new Ural, ...
Whilst you may be, good luck to you.....
  $12,000 for a new Ural! Is that in the US? Down here they go for around $20,000. A price I'm not prepared to pay.
Closer to $16K, actually.
But having first owned a new 1998 Ural, I can say they are actually worth the price now! Really good machines by comparison.
Almost mainstream in function, maintenance, and reliability.
And still have the old world riding fun.
~RN

#12 SafetyBob

SafetyBob

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Joined:30-August 06
  • Gender:Male

Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:56 AM

I agree with Russ.. My new Urals are so reliable they are boring... Gas and go machines now...
SB#3
Dnepr- So Much Fun- It's addictive!
MT-11 Solo- "Nadia"
MT-11 "Yellow Bear"
MT-9 "Boo Bear"
K-750 Flathead
MT-11 "Gumbo"
Ural M 70 Solo
Ural Patrol
95 Ural Tourist

#13 Duke of Ural

Duke of Ural

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined:27-May 13
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Colorado USA

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:22 AM

View PostRuss Noe, on 14 May 2016 - 09:33 AM, said:

View Postavalon, on 13 May 2016 - 04:26 AM, said:

View Postlobofuego, on 04 May 2016 - 05:18 AM, said:

and whilst I am "Happy" to pay for my "Hobby".....I will not be Happy  to pay 12K for a new Ural, ...
Whilst you may be, good luck to you.....
  $12,000 for a new Ural! Is that in the US? Down here they go for around $20,000. A price I'm not prepared to pay.
Closer to $16K, actually.
But having first owned a new 1998 Ural, I can say they are actually worth the price now! Really good machines by comparison.
Almost mainstream in function, maintenance, and reliability.
And still have the old world riding fun.
~RN
I usually agree with Russ, but not this time. Urals are still in the 1950s in reliability and performance. On performance, I don't want to ride a sidecar rig of any brand at the speeds I used to ride solos. My BMW R90 rig could cruise all day at 90mph. Still, I wasn't happy riding over 60. SO I don't want speed in my Ural. But I would sure like to maintain 60, or even 50 while pulling a hill or fighting headwinds. So a little more modern age performance would be good! On reliability, on my 2012 Yamal I have already had to replace my starter at about 3,000 km. This past weekend my final drive fractured while riding a smooth gravel road in 1 wheel drive at 20 mph. Only 5k on the odometer. I've owned a lot of BMWs and never had a final drive failure, even with my 1981 R100RS which I have had since new, and have ridden over 200,000 miles. I agree that the Urals have improved over the last few years, but they're a long ways from "…mainstream in function, maintenance, and reliability."

#14 Vance Blosser

Vance Blosser

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Joined:04-November 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Winchester VA
  • Interests:Good Science Fiction. Doing maintenance on older vehicles. Riding the Ural. Unusual vehicles.

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:59 PM

They are so much better the difference is astounding but I can only speak of 1 wheel drives. I avoided 2wd because of the extra machinery.

#15 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Joined:30-August 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northern Oregon, USA
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:13 AM

Duke: Sorry to hear of the problems with your 2012 Ural. 'Sounds unusual.
Regardless: 'Hope you are up and running again soon.
~RN




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users